Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2013-11-13, 14:21   Link #1001
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
I think a lot of the dislike for him comes from the fact that he's not Negi. I've seen it before in other fandoms, whenever you have a sequel with a new MC, there's always some backlash..
ah nope.

i don't like him because he is too typical of the brainless shounan MC.
Old 2013-11-13, 14:34   Link #1002
sakai-san

Did anyone find the two year time that Jinbei thrown down into the dungeon and Touta's parents death a coincidence along with the sake Jinbei drank being the reason he got thrown down there?
sakai-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 16:53   Link #1003
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I dislike Touta because I can't stand the "hey I just met you a second ago but let's be best friends" type.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 17:50   Link #1004
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisdrache View Post
I dislike Touta because I can't stand the "hey I just met you a second ago but let's be best friends" type.
Fair enough, he is kinda pushy, but it's not such a huge flaw. He isn't putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them after all.

From what I've seen, he seems to want to make friends so he doesn't end up like Kuromaru, full of self-loathing for being an immortal. It's better than angsting about it, at any rate.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 18:28   Link #1005
Hata
時の異邦人

you guys do know that Ken said he created Tota from a mix of Kotaro and Nagi?
Old 2013-11-13, 18:32   Link #1006
Breimoon

we need an all-hating MC for a change. Like grumpy cat!!
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 19:03   Link #1007
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense, he was raised by Eva, after all.

Old 2013-11-13, 19:24   Link #1008
bludvein

Quote:
Thats funny, because I actually like Kotaro and Nagi, and I don't really care one way or another about Touta.

Maybe its just because he is the protagonist. I tend to have bigger expectations for those, and so far Touta has been a completely typical idiot hero. He has nothing distinguishing except his immortality, which he treats as just another reason to act like an idiot.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 09:32   Link #1009
silvercover
Romance Expert

so anyways, going to the topic of the konoka girl...
if we assume there is indeed a connection and this is not just a recycled design, then wouldnt you wonder which "demon" could have gotten with konoka
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 10:18   Link #1010
Breimoon

well , it could have happened with konoka daughter/son instead of konoka herself
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 15:51   Link #1011
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
Touta's isn't really that bad.

I think a lot of the dislike for him comes from the fact that he's not Negi. I've seen it before in other fandoms, whenever you have a sequel with a new MC, there's always some backlash.

The fact that Akamatsu is going out of his way to make Touta the exact opposite of Negi probably excarbates the matter.
While I do suspect that Akamatsu-sensei is getting Touta to the OP status as quickly as possible to then explore immortality at Negi's power level in lieu of Negi, for me, Touta not being Negi isn't the issue.

I don't like Touta's character type. As someone pointed out to me, he's the male version of the Mary Sue trope. He effortlessly powers up in an insanely short period of time to dizzying heights, but there's nothing to indicate why he can do this, nor is there an element to make me want to know how he can do this. He is oblivious to everything but himself, so by George, if he says he's going to be friends with someone, then that's the end of it. He's a loudmouth braggart punk who desperately needs to be taught a painful lesson, but so far, he doesn't learn anything because he's immortal and he's had to pay no real price for his blind stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakai-san View Post
Did anyone find the two year time that Jinbei thrown down into the dungeon and Touta's parents death a coincidence along with the sake Jinbei drank being the reason he got thrown down there?
I didn't think about that. It probably is just coincidental, with Eva agreeing to be Touta's guardian shortly after that event.

Quote:
Fair enough, he is kinda pushy, but it's not such a huge flaw. He isn't putting a gun to anyone's head and forcing them after all.

From what I've seen, he seems to want to make friends so he doesn't end up like Kuromaru, full of self-loathing for being an immortal. It's better than angsting about it, at any rate.
He may not put a gun to one's head, but he's the type that would keep bothering you until kingdom come. Since there's no way to get through his thick skull...

Still, you do have a slight point on the angst thing.

Quote:
I was unaware of that. Neither Kotaro nor Nagi irritated me though. Granted, we didn't see enough of Nagi for me to make a good judgement call, but Kotaro came off as a real character. Touta does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
Maybe its just because he is the protagonist. I tend to have bigger expectations for those, and so far Touta has been a completely typical idiot hero. He has nothing distinguishing except his immortality, which he treats as just another reason to act like an idiot.
I agree there. ^_^ The fact that he's immortal is what makes things so much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercover View Post
so anyways, going to the topic of the konoka girl...
if we assume there is indeed a connection and this is not just a recycled design, then wouldnt you wonder which "demon" could have gotten with konoka
That would be Negi.

I'm not sure he was ever referred to as a "youkai" or not, which is what those regular UQH members are (though I guess there could be mazoku in there too, like Zazie or Mana).

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 15:53   Link #1012
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
I didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense, he was raised by Eva, after all.
Basically taking after Misa's Reverse Hikaru Genji plan?

Though Eva is shipping Touta with Karin.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 16:26   Link #1013
Sian
Kozukuri Shimasho

Eva ships what provokes the most extreme reaction
Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 17:41   Link #1014
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
I don't like Touta's character type. As someone pointed out to me, he's the male version of the Mary Sue trope. He effortlessly powers up in an insanely short period of time to dizzying heights, but there's nothing to indicate why he can do this, nor is there an element to make me want to know how he can do this.
I wonder how people have gotten to that conclusion. The plot or characters hardly revolve around him. He's talented at fighting, but then that's a prerequiste for a MC in a combat oriented manga. It's hardly as if he got good all at once, he's apparently been training the basics for 2 years under Eva's tutelage.

As for reasons, it's a bit fresh to see a shounen MC who doesn't have some super long range goal, at least right from the start of the manga.

Quote:
He may not put a gun to one's head, but he's the type that would keep bothering you until kingdom come. Since there's no way to get through his thick skull...
What are you basing this on again, the only person we've really seen him be pushy with is Kuromaru, and to be frank, becoming Touta's friend is better for him than whatever Eva would have done.

Quote:
I was unaware of that. Neither Kotaro nor Nagi irritated me though. Granted, we didn't see enough of Nagi for me to make a good judgement call, but Kotaro came off as a real character. Touta does not.
Kotaro had some issues that made for good character development that we haven't seen from Touta yet, but that carefree common sense does remind of Kotaro. I see shades of Nagi in there as well, and he's also reminds me of a less belligerent Asuna.

Old 2013-11-15, 09:50   Link #1015
silvercover
Romance Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
That would be Negi.

I'm not sure he was ever referred to as a "youkai" or not, which is what those regular UQH members are (though I guess there could be mazoku in there too, like Zazie or Mana).
actually I was thinking more of someone closer and had it "inherent" rather than gained...
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 16:48   Link #1016
AstroNerdBoy

Quote:
I wonder how people have gotten to that conclusion. The plot or characters hardly revolve around him.
I would beg to disagree, seeing as how he's been in every chapter to date. Eva dropped out and Kuroumaru was a later addition.

Quote:
He's talented at fighting, but then that's a prerequiste for a MC in a combat oriented manga. It's hardly as if he got good all at once, he's apparently been training the basics for 2 years under Eva's tutelage.
Ah, but going back to that first chapter, Touta had some kills to be sure and his training with Eva explained that. He did not have the ability to cause massive impact craters with his fists; he couldn't race up the side of a cliff, or anywhere else; he wasn't able to lift insane amounts of weight as if it were air; he couldn't use ki (chi); and on and on.

A small percentage in his power growth can be attributed to him becoming a vampire. The rest is just out of the blue.

I've got no problem with rapid power growth, providing there's a reason behind it. Being a dillard is not a reason for it. ^_^;

Quote:
As for reasons, it's a bit fresh to see a shounen MC who doesn't have some super long range goal, at least right from the start of the manga.
If Touta never had a goal but was just along for the ride, I'd be cool with that. The reason behind his power-up doesn't have to be like Negi's, which was goal oriented. There could be a whole host of other reasons, even if they are only hinted at. We've received none of that.

Quote:
What are you basing this on again, the only person we've really seen him be pushy with is Kuromaru, and to be frank, becoming Touta's friend is better for him than whatever Eva would have done.
We've seen him be pushy twice with UQ Holder in general. Being a friend to someone is more than, "I'm going to be your friend and I'm not going to let up until you are, even if I have to force you to sign a contract to be my friend, 'cause you're going to be my friend, 'cause that's what I've decided, and once I've decided something, no power in the 'verse can change my mind 'cause I'm the greatest thing in the universe since the universe began, so only a loser wouldn't want to be my friend, so you will be my friend 'cause I don't make friends with losers..."

--> AstroNerdBoy on YouTube! - Where I mostly do gaming videos. Help me hit my subscription goals by subscribing today! 😁

--> AstroNerdBoy on Twitch! - Currently, streaming every Friday night at 9pm ET/6pm PT. Impromptu streams when FGO events are going on. Love to see you there! 😆

AstroNerdBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 21:06   Link #1017
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Read the manga. He was using ki for quite a while before the series. Plus he's been training with Eva along the way too.
All that really means is he's stupidly broken before the plot even starts.

Quote:
I think a lot of the dislike for him comes from the fact that he's not Negi. I've seen it before in other fandoms, whenever you have a sequel with a new MC, there's always some backlash..
This sounds like kind of an umbrella 'security blanket' statement. New MCs can get accepted by the majority as long as they're good characters in their own rights. Terry Mc Ginnis will never be as big as Bruce Wayne, but he's still fairly well liked and beloved. Nanoha overly surpassed her brother, the protagonist of the series she spun off from. Even an icon like Popeye started as a secondary character in someone else's comics series.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-11-20 at 03:37.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 21:45   Link #1018
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

I think it would be interesting if Kuroumaru's clan are the ones who killed Touta's parents. At least one of them was the child of an immortal monster Negi.

It would be nice if someone would make a character discussion thread so people could bag on the MC in there and we could talk about the manga here. Tbh this is the same thing that happened at the beginning of Negima, a whole bunch of people talking about how bad it is until the story got going and they either left because it wasn't what they thought it would be or grew to like it.

BTW if I'm not mistaken this is the first time I've seen Touta's fangs... when he comes out of the well.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 22:14   Link #1019
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
All that really means is he's stupidly broken before the plot even starts.
Being able to use ki makes you broken?

Quote:
This sounds like kind of an umbrella 'security blanket' statement. New MCs can get accepted by the majority as long as they're good characters in their own rights. Terry Mc Ginnis will never be as big as Bruce Wayne, but he's still fairly well liked and beloved.
There are folk out there that hate Terry, you know.

Quote:
Nanoha overly surpassed her brother, the protagonist of the series she spun off from.
Who on Earth remembers Triangle Hearts anyway? Nanoha is far more popular than it ever was. It's funny that you bring up NAnoha, since the MC of Nanoha Force got a ton of flack from certain folks, particularly the folks fromNanoFate, because he was male.

Quote:
Even an icon like Popeye started as a secondary character in someone else's comics series.
Again, who even remembers that?

Old 2013-11-15, 22:41   Link #1020
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Quote:
Being able to use ki makes you broken?

There are folk out there that hate Terry, you know.

Who on Earth remembers Triangle Hearts anyway? Nanoha is far more popular than it ever was. It's funny that you bring up NAnoha, since the MC of Nanoha Force got a ton of flack from certain folks, particularly the folks fromNanoFate, because he was male.

Again, who even remembers that?
I honestly think Touta was around were Negi was at the beginning of Negima, as far as strength goes when they threw him in the hole. He probably went quite a bit higher than that on his way out like I'd say leaving for the magical world Negi around 1000 cats. This is figuring that he's drawing on the strength of a vampire to boost his states. We also don't know what his status was before becoming a vampire. He could have already been a partial immortal from his genes. Also we have no idea where this story is going at this point and probably wont get any hints for another 40 chapters or so. They could end up fighting Gods and Jack Rakkan... One thing to be sure of is that Touta has been training under Eva for 2 years, Negi trained under her for less than 9 months and turned into an immortal monster evil mage. Touta is older and more developed than Negi so his strength really doesn't surprise me at all.

As far as triangle hearts goes I remember it, it was pretty cool with martial arts and such. I'm also one of those that likes force though so I'm probably in the minority.

The edge of sadomasochism is paper thin
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, mother-con, negima, sequel, time travel, waiting for love