Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-03-02, 21:37   Link #41
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
According to GameFAQs, yes. I have no idea why it's in place, but NSW asked if it was a gamefaqs rule so...
Well, it seems that their leech protection works perfectly, so I see no reason for me to edit anyone's links. GameFAQs is already ensuring that you can't do it. My advice is that if you want to link to the correct page, you'll have to edit your link yourself so that it has some value.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-02, 21:53   Link #42
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
http://www.funlol.com/funpages/video-game-wars.html

I vote this as the most epic battle of all times. :P
I don't disagree... but I was waiting for like, a punch line or something. But the whole thing was serious! Argh...
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 08:03   Link #43
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Doesnt it depend from person to person? I mean, if you really want an epic battle against ruby weapon, then by all means, do it another way.
It may depend person to person how you want to approach a certain boss, (how you can approach almost any boss with Vanish/Doom in FF 6) but if you depend mostly on Game tricks (like going to gamefaqs, or using a gameguide) to beat something then the game itself wont be that exiting, rather than using the usual tricks to get it done, wouldn’t it be better to do it by “Trial an error”? I mean, I approached ruby weapon in different perspective, before I came to the idea of approaching him in that matter, but even like this, It took me well over 30 Minutes to beat it…And fighting a boss for this period of time while Maintaining your Characters alive and without any Status Ailment is quite hard even by using the way I was accustom to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert
I'll just have to trust your word for it since I don't have the game anymore.
FFIX's Ozma can be decently tough no matter how you prepare for the battle. Though once a while you get lucky and he uses weak attack throughout most of the battle.
I only play FFIX once, and play until CD number 3, so I can’t tell If I encountered this BOSS, so for me this battle can’t be epic, besides, this is supposed to be an Opinion thread..So yeah..For me one of the most epic/Exiting battles in my list is the weapon battle, even if there are people who use certain tricks while drinking Coffee in order to beat them.
Rurik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 08:45   Link #44
seekret

i liked all the suikoden boss battles ... the new one comes out soon ;o
seekret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 12:35   Link #45
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, it seems that their leech protection works perfectly, so I see no reason for me to edit anyone's links. GameFAQs is already ensuring that you can't do it.
That's like saying that it's okay for someone to try to do something bad like killing someone because he'll get found out anyway (it's not a perfect analogy, but bear with me here).

If you just copy and paste the link in your location bar, you can see the file with no problems. But it still isn't allowed. As you said, it's leeching, and that's bad.

Poor logic.
Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 12:58   Link #46
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrz
http://www.funlol.com/funpages/video-game-wars.html

I vote this as the most epic battle of all times. :P

That was pretty cool to watch. Thanks
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 14:42   Link #47
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

This is reaching way back, but does anyone remember the final boss to...

Earthbound

I believe the name was Gygas... but it wasn't just the final boss, but your arch nemisis Pokey. The music was crucial, with the normal "Pokey theme" interrupted suddenly by a hard rock head bangin' pokey theme remix! And then the terribly difficult final boss, which featured the first (to my knowledge) "alternative" final boss strategy. To defeat him, you had to have one character "pray" 9 times, so it was simply a matter of staying alive long enough. DW VIII and numerous other games have copied it in the future.
Oh and did I mention the truly eerie music, strange amorphous psycadelic background and the fact that your souls were held in time travelling robots? That was epic. There will never be a game as experimental as earthbound again.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-03, 22:19   Link #48
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha_Rurik
It may depend person to person how you want to approach a certain boss, (how you can approach almost any boss with Vanish/Doom in FF 6) but if you depend mostly on Game tricks (like going to gamefaqs, or using a gameguide) to beat something then the game itself wont be that exiting, rather than using the usual tricks to get it done, wouldn’t it be better to do it by “Trial an error”? I mean, I approached ruby weapon in different perspective, before I came to the idea of approaching him in that matter, but even like this, It took me well over 30 Minutes to beat it…And fighting a boss for this period of time while Maintaining your Characters alive and without any Status Ailment is quite hard even by using the way I was accustom to do it.
Isn't that the point of the sentence you quoted...?

Spoiler for Off-topic:

About Ozma:
Spoiler:

Question: What exactly is an "epic boss battle"? A boss battle where there is suiting BGM? A boss that is very hard to defeat? or a Battle where it feels like the whole (ingame) world is watching?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 02:01   Link #49
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy

Earthbound

I believe the name was Gygas... but it wasn't just the final boss, but your arch nemisis Pokey. The music was crucial, with the normal "Pokey theme" interrupted suddenly by a hard rock head bangin' pokey theme remix! And then the terribly difficult final boss, which featured the first (to my knowledge) "alternative" final boss strategy. To defeat him, you had to have one character "pray" 9 times, so it was simply a matter of staying alive long enough. DW VIII and numerous other games have copied it in the future.
Oh and did I mention the truly eerie music, strange amorphous psycadelic background and the fact that your souls were held in time travelling robots? That was epic. There will never be a game as experimental as earthbound again.
Sadly, I had forgotten about Earthbound. You win. No game finale could ever be as epic as Earthbound. I remember how tense I was in that final battle at the end when nothing would put him down before I got the hint to pray. I was actually emotionally moved by the results of that prayer. (I won't go into details in case anyone here is moved to play Earthbound.) This is probably the only final boss battle to ever move me emotionally in between making me want to scream from the tension.

And I'm not going to metion how I felt about having my soul removed from my body and put into a robot in order to get to that final boss battle.

Earthbound is the winner of this thread, In My not-so Humble Opinion.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 02:22   Link #50
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha_Rurik
I only play FFIX once, and play until CD number 3, so I can’t tell If I encountered this BOSS, so for me this battle can’t be epic, besides, this is supposed to be an Opinion thread..So yeah..For me one of the most epic/Exiting battles in my list is the weapon battle, even if there are people who use certain tricks while drinking Coffee in order to beat them.
Oh, I wasn't trying to say fighting Ozma is the most epic. Just wanted to point out that there is not really any specific method to defeat him like there is for the Weapons in VII as well as VIII. The only thing is probably to get the blessings of the 9 friendly monsters. Which in my humble opinion (obviously) makes for a more interesting, if not epic, battle.

But as I said before, Luigi vs Bowser in SMW is the most epic for me.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 06:19   Link #51
Angelic Cross
Soul-eating Librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy

Earthbound

Giygas, actually. And you are correct sir! That fight was definitley one for video game history. What you have with Gigyas is a being whose own inborn power is so immense that it literally becomes too much for its owner to comprehend and destroys Gigyas's mind to the point of insanity. The party's puny robot bodies are no match for that kind of thing. I remember feeling so desperate during the fight against the final form when all my items ran out that I started using Pray as a last resort. Hallelujah! I was at the edge of my seat just barely clinging on to life as Paula kept using Pray several times and the supporting cast starts praying with her. But the biggest surprise of all was the ninth prayer. Paula says she can't think of any more people to ask for help, and I thought I had to figure out another "alternative strategy" (which did not help ease the tension I was feeling), when a very familiar person, but one not known by Ness and his friends, begins to pray, striking the final blow against Gigyas. That little bit right there made the Gigyas fight one of, if not the most, involving boss battles that I've ever prayed. It actually made me feel like I was there with the party to deliver the last attack.

Of course, that little punk Pokey had to survive. He'd better be a beatable boss (ooh, alliteration!) in the upcoming Mother 3 so I can waste his sorry behind.

Last edited by Angelic Cross; 2006-03-04 at 06:45.
Angelic Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 06:36   Link #52
2H-Dragon
Silent Warrior

Any battle in Shadow of the Collosus for sure. Other game's may bring out more emotion's out of me, but SoC sure as hell win's in beeing most epic. Especially if you fight thingy that fly's and that thingy's that swim's. The water, the wind, the music, etc.

The most funny/easy battle's must be in FF8 and FF9.

With FF8 Rinoa's dog(forgot the name) did something that makes the party temporary not killeble(blue moo?), but that thing did that all the time for some reason so I didn't get much damage. That in combination with Leonhearth is win.

FF9 is also very easy. I remember having an ressurection ring that always work's so it doesnt disappear after one use.
2H-Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-04, 11:31   Link #53
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Earthbound is the winner of this thread, In My not-so Humble Opinion.
I retract my earlier opinion and completely agree. How could I have forgotten about the plight of Ness and Paula?

But before I forget: another really epic boss battle (though not quite as tense as Earthbound), was Melbu Framha from the Legend of Dragoon. I remember going at him with my puny little level 35 characters and easily defeating his first two forms, with his third form killing off my healer. I just barely defeated the fourth and final form with Dart down to dying in one last hit. Later on I read a FAQ and almost all of them said that the battle was extremely difficult even at the level cap (60). As one of the FAQs says: "Normally, even with a very strong party, this battle will take over a half hour."

Last edited by boneyjellyfish; 2006-03-04 at 11:41.
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-06, 12:23   Link #54
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Isn't that the point of the sentence you quoted...?
No is not. You are implying that This Fight is not epic, because you have a trick to win it, me, and posters who mentioned this battle as epic, because of various reasons that lead to this conclusion.

Quote:
Spoiler for Off-topic:
Well, Because this is MY opinion, I found Fighting the Weapons as a very Entertaining and Nail biting fight, a 30+ Minute boss fight we you have to create “Tactics” in order to keep your party alive, for me is Epic.

Quote:
About Ozma:
Spoiler:
But, I quote myself again “I never encountered this Boss, so I can’t say is epic to me”.

Quote:
Question: What exactly is an "epic boss battle"? A boss battle where there is suiting BGM? A boss that is very hard to defeat? or a Battle where it feels like the whole (ingame) world is watching?
That depends in the person, Epic, should not be just because of the BGM, or because it is very Hard, Is just A fight that is impressive for YOU, if for you the weapons Fights are not impressive and are just frustrating and a lost of time, that’s no problem, but It still Epic for me, because I was impressed by this fights and they are still in the back in my mind as the most memorable.
Old 2006-03-07, 05:40   Link #55
Kiron22

Ganon is probably the most Epic, I still remember the lightning going off and the whole place lighting up and back on the N64 it was the most amazing thing I have seen.

Metroid Prime and MP 2 takes the cake though for big ass mean bosses though.
Kiron22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 02:04   Link #56
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

Man the most epic battle I've ever had was taking on Diablo with my dual rare War Hammers in Diablo II with my Barbarian, Maceart.

Since I was only a newbie back then, I never realized that he had a red lighting of death and instead I rushed right in hacking with Double Swing. It was a white knuckling 20 minute experience, dealing blow after blow while wasting my full rejuvs with impunity. Good thing I laid some health potions around the stage to stock up on as to not have to run back to town.

Another epic battle would be my first time getting the hang of FF8 and junctioning Ultima to strength and taking on Ultimecia with Squall and Quistis. Man Lionheart was the single cheapest limit break ever made for Final Fantasy. It was the most damaging too... 99,999 damage per successful limit, plus Aura you can repeat it almost infinitely.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 05:48   Link #57
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

<Oh, damn, the form's screwing with me>

Last edited by Conan-san; 2006-03-08 at 07:27.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 05:50   Link #58
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

<Double Post>

Last edited by Conan-san; 2006-03-08 at 07:24.
Old 2006-03-08, 05:50   Link #59
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Some of the Metal Gear Solid Boss battles (and I meen the franchise, not the game) were some of the of the most fun and epic battles ever anyone who says taking the HIND down wasn't as such is a lyer and a fraud and probably likes <insert anime I flamed here>.

The honest exclusion to these were all but the bosses in MGS 2 with honery exclsions towords MGR and Fatman, I hated the other three or so fights cause they were so...orderery to be honest (Not to mention by the time you get to the final boss, your wondering why the hell your bothering anymore, story wise) and I never bothed with THE END in MGS 3 because he was a dick in terms of cheap and he deserved being outlived.

Besides THE END, MGS 3 has some of the best I felt, the way you found alteretive ways of beating your boss (Hell, the game even rewarded you for going the long route of wearing the opponents stamana down), using thremo goggles to deal with the fear, diving into the watter to avoid the pain's hornets/bees, the sorta thing.

And Of course The Boss herself, now if MGS 2 had you going "This sucks", MGS 3 acheved that being used flavour of Raiden's plight and made it so much better.
The setting was great (and using a time limit you couldn't see helped), and half way though your time limit you even hear the theme of MGS 3 playing in the background and everything else that went through with that fight (The flowers turning red instead of blood) made it awsome.

Last edited by Conan-san; 2006-03-08 at 07:26.
Old 2006-03-08, 09:44   Link #60
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san
The honest exclusion to these were all but the bosses in MGS 2 with honery exclsions towords MGR and Fatman, I hated the other three or so fights cause they were so...orderery to be honest (Not to mention by the time you get to the final boss, your wondering why the hell your bothering anymore, story wise) and I never bothed with THE END in MGS 3 because he was a dick in terms of cheap and he deserved being outlived.

Besides THE END, MGS 3 has some of the best I felt, the way you found alteretive ways of beating your boss (Hell, the game even rewarded you for going the long route of wearing the opponents stamana down), using thremo goggles to deal with the fear, diving into the watter to avoid the pain's hornets/bees, the sorta thing.
Talk about coincidence, I’m playing again trough this game (MGS 3), and I’m somewhat close to that part, The standard Fight with the END, although its requires patiente, is really a mirror of what a real Sniper duel should be, moving from scenario to Scenario, trying to locate him, it is exiting, although this time around, I noticed something and I tried it.

Spoiler: