3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2013-12-16, 09:48   Link #101
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

I think one thing to consider when discussing about whether Adventurers can farm or not is whether they want to spend their time tending to the needs and demands of the job.

If you've read Arakawa's farming-related works (Silver Spoon and Hyakushou Kizoku), you'll know that farming life is tough and hardly fun. Adventurers are ultimately gamers, people who play games, and the majority of them might also be urban dwellers unaccustomed to rural life and the rigours and tedium of farming. Sure, they might take up the job out of a moment of interest but would they be able to persist to the end? Especially when there are more exciting and less tedious activities available to them =3

Signature by liro
Old 2013-12-16, 11:51   Link #102
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estavali View Post
I think one thing to consider when discussing about whether Adventurers can farm or not is whether they want to spend their time tending to the needs and demands of the job.

If you've read Arakawa's farming-related works (Silver Spoon and Hyakushou Kizoku), you'll know that farming life is tough and hardly fun. Adventurers are ultimately gamers, people who play games, and the majority of them might also be urban dwellers unaccustomed to rural life and the rigours and tedium of farming. Sure, they might take up the job out of a moment of interest but would they be able to persist to the end? Especially when there are more exciting and less tedious activities available to them =3
There are farming and truck driving simulators.
Yes, someone would take it up, and keep at it.
Not many, yes, but i would be surprised if someone among the adventurers won't end up becoming a farmer if they remain stuck in the world of Elder Tales.
Old 2013-12-16, 12:01   Link #103
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If you have the funds and people in the right places to swiftly suck up the stock the moment it arrives, yes. Which would mean you're in one of the major merchant guilds. If you're not in one of the major merchant guilds, you have to choose between farming or buying from those guilds at their prices. Which is, again, what we see happen in the anime.

They're not side-stories. They're document notes. Literally the only place to find English information about them is the wiki.

Blar, my mistake. I mistook "Adventurer" for "Lander" for some reason. But given that there's a Subclass called "farmer" in the untranslated list of Subclasses that flashed by in episode 2 (or is that a spoiler as well now?) the answer would still be yes.
Quote:
If you have the funds and people in the right places to swiftly suck up the stock the moment it arrives, yes. Which would mean you're in one of the major merchant guilds. If you're not in one of the major merchant guilds, you have to choose between farming or buying from those guilds at their prices. Which is, again, what we see happen in the anime.
Yea, thats true, but then again, my question is, " Why hunt for a whole
day to try to get the item you want
if you can hunt for an hour and
bought them from Landers?"
That is assuming 1. Hunting is less efficient than just buying 2. You only need around an hour to gain enough money to buy. 3. There is something to buy from Landers.

Like I said, hypothetical question.

Quote:
They're not side-stories. They're document notes. Literally the only place to find English information about them is the wiki.
Not just detail about Serara's subclass. Earlier someone mention things from sidestories, such as how the Landers percieve Adventurers before and after Apocalypse, without at least spoiler tag

Quote:
Blar, my mistake. I mistook "Adventurer" for "Lander" for some reason. But given that there's a Subclass called "farmer" in the untranslated list of Subclasses that flashed by in episode 2 (or is that a spoiler as well now?) the answer would still be yes
So thats just change the answer "can Adventurers farm?" from unknown to maybe/possible, not confirmed.

Quote:

That is a possible reason too. Remember, Charasin suggested that they should hire Landers for clerical and menial work in The Round Table Alliance. Both I assume is tedious. That still mean Adventurers need landers in that regard.
Old 2013-12-16, 12:07   Link #104
whitecloud

well...mining and farming subclass grant special skill...like in many MMO (example FFXIV) there are skill that make farming and mining easier as level higher make it easier to locate rare earth, hard to get plant easier and in large quantity and in high quality...
Old 2013-12-16, 12:26   Link #105
J4n1

Also, main reasons farming is hard work is because, well, it is hard, physically taxing, high level adventurers can bypass that due to their superhuman bodies.
Another is the capriciousness of weather, but with sylphs summoners can call, drought is no longer an issue, not much you can do about floods though, maybe golems can be used to build dams (they definitely could be used to till the fields).
And clerics might be able to remove blights and diseases from crops.
Old 2013-12-16, 12:52   Link #106
Ickarium

I think people are overestimating farming difficulty. Yes, farming is difficult and tedious. So is smithing (really, it is!). So is sewing. So are pretty much all of the secondary class professions. Being a scribe, while not physically tasking, is certainly mentally tasking and boring, after all. At least, most of the time.

Basically, there's nothing inherently 'more tedious and difficult' about farming than a lot of the other professions, and we KNOW that at the very least, they're doing metalworking and stuff.
Old 2013-12-16, 13:31   Link #107
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
I think people are overestimating farming difficulty. Yes, farming is difficult and tedious. So is smithing (really, it is!). So is sewing. So are pretty much all of the secondary class professions. Being a scribe, while not physically tasking, is certainly mentally tasking and boring, after all. At least, most of the time.

Basically, there's nothing inherently 'more tedious and difficult' about farming than a lot of the other professions, and we KNOW that at the very least, they're doing metalworking and stuff.
You do realise that your examples aren't at the mercy of bad weather and crop pests which are generally beyond human control, Adventurer or not. Also, to add another example, farm work means working with animal waste on a regular basis, be it cleaning animal dwellings or using them as natural fertilizer. Unless you're used to it, this is hardly an entertaining idea.

Farm work is, in a way, taking care of a big family, except that the head gets to slaughter his charges and sell them off for cash =3. In any case it's a lot of work.

The point is, if given a choice, the Adventurers, who have other means of generating wealth, like hunting monsters or using the products they made, would most likely choose what we can call the easier way out. It's human nature and which is also why farming communities keep losing their young to the lure of the cities. If they already have a ready workforce to produce what they need, there's no reason nor compelling need to disregard what's already in place.

Also, consider this. Which is the better option for an Adventurer: be a raw material provider who can provide more raw material, or be a manufacturer that could make the best out of the material provided? In other words, more raws instead of products vs more and/or better use of the existing material.

Some will say, "Why not split everyone equally into both and have the cake and eat it too?"

At this point, I would ask, "Who then decides who is to do what and on what authority?"

Signature by liro
Old 2013-12-16, 14:05   Link #108
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecloud View Post
well...mining and farming subclass grant special skill...like in many MMO (example FFXIV) there are skill that make farming and mining easier as level higher make it easier to locate rare earth, hard to get plant easier and in large quantity and in high quality...
That is if Farming Subclass in Elder Tale is the same as those in FFXIV. We do not know that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Also, main reasons farming is hard work is because, well, it is hard, physically taxing, high level adventurers can bypass that due to their superhuman bodies.
Another is the capriciousness of weather, but with sylphs summoners can call, drought is no longer an issue, not much you can do about floods though, maybe golems can be used to build dams (they definitely could be used to till the fields).
And clerics might be able to remove blights and diseases from crops.
That is a possibility. And even if The Adventurers cannot farm, they can at least help the Lander farmers with irrigation and so on with their modern real world knowledge.
I just doubt if the cleric is useful for removing blight(is there even a blight in the first place?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post

Do Landers know how to make steam engine? It seems that they do not have many technological knowledge, based on the situation in that world So far the Adventurers are the only one shown that has that kind of knowledge. So the Adventurers probably wouldnt expect the Landers to understand how that kind of things will work for now, thus they have to do innovation themselves for now.
As for Scribe, So far Shiroe used his scribe ability to copy maps(essential for their rescue mission) recipe for production guild(important for his plan) and contracts(which seem to require scribe class in the first place, meaning other class wouldnt be able to write the contract) which I doubt can be disclosed to Landers.
While Landers are shown to be perfectly capable to farm.
Not to mention an Adventurer can only take one Subclass. If the Farmer Subclass can do farming(probable) the one who take them wouldnt be able to take any other subclass So he or she must be willing to do just that.
Old 2013-12-16, 14:08   Link #109
J4n1

Not all farms have animals, and if you're a summoner, well, you can have your golem (or skeletons) do most of the work for you, and i already pointed how the weather is less of an issue.

Yes, being a farmer would almost never be the best way to generate wealth, not fastest, easiest or the surest, but not everyone thinks about just making the most money.
Some might just enjoy the lifestyle, others might like the challenge, some might just like farming.
There is 30.000 adventurers in Yamato, having one person among them who would try, and enjoy, farming would not be all the huge a miracle.

My sister works in a stable, taking care of horses and shoveling shit, know what she does on her free time? Among other things, she takes care of horses and shovels shit.
some people just like horses (or sheep, or cows, or crowing crops), and if that requires shoveling shit, then so be it.
Old 2013-12-16, 14:48   Link #110
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Not all farms have animals, and if you're a summoner, well, you can have your golem (or skeletons) do most of the work for you, and i already pointed how the weather is less of an issue.

Yes, being a farmer would almost never be the best way to generate wealth, not fastest, easiest or the surest, but not everyone thinks about just making the most money.
Some might just enjoy the lifestyle, others might like the challenge, some might just like farming.
There is 30.000 adventurers in Yamato, having one person among them who would try, and enjoy, farming would not be all the huge a miracle.

My sister works in a stable, taking care of horses and shoveling shit, know what she does on her free time? Among other things, she takes care of horses and shovels shit.
some people just like horses (or sheep, or cows, or crowing crops), and if that requires shoveling shit, then so be it.
Sure, there might be some adventurers who would take farmer as subclass if they can(botanist or agriculturist come to mind, not to mention some bonsai enthutiast) but they would take farming for their fun in the first place, or as hobby.Unlike blacksmith or scribe in Elder Tale World , Farming commercially will be most likely be a full time job
While most other people would probably consider more efficient things to do, since the need for crops and materials have already been covered by Lander farmers/sellers and also loot from monsters so far

Also, the original question here is can Adventurers farm and mine or not, and how will it affect their dependance of Landers? So in a way we getting more derailed from questions

The conclusion I got right now is It is possible they can farm or mine.And if they can farm, it will reduce their dependance of Landers being one of the source of their materials(the Adventurers still need Landers for banking transaction and other service though) provided that the Adventurers can match the capability of Landers to produce them in high amount, and the willingness of some adventurers to become almost fulltime farmers and miners.

Last edited by darksassin; 2013-12-16 at 15:08.
Old 2013-12-16, 16:26   Link #111
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksassin View Post
Yea, thats true, but then again, my question is, " Why hunt for a whole
day to try to get the item you want
if you can hunt for an hour and
bought them from Landers?"
That is assuming 1. Hunting is less efficient than just buying 2. You only need around an hour to gain enough money to buy. 3. There is something to buy from Landers.

Like I said, hypothetical question.
Because there is nothing to buy from the Landers. Lander stock gets bought up by the merchant guilds. And money has to be farmed as well.

Quote:
Not just detail about Serara's subclass. Earlier someone mention things from sidestories, such as how the Landers percieve Adventurers before and after Apocalypse, without at least spoiler tag
Since we've already seen just that in this episode as well, how exactly does that spoil anything?

Quote:
So thats just change the answer "can Adventurers farm?" from unknown to maybe/possible, not confirmed.
.... There is a Subclass called Farmer. That is not "possible" that is "confirmed unless you're really desperate to deny the possibility."

Chef Subclass allows you to cook, Blacksmith Subclass allows you to forge, Farmer Subclass allows you to farm. Simple as that.

Quote:

You'd be surprised. Note for example how it's noted that the amount of crafters has risen since the apocalypse. "Playing the game" has also become a tough job now. And scary too, even for immortals.

Having spend some weeks amongst farmers and having lived directly across a farm for my whole life, farming is not that tough. Sure, it's harder labor than deskwork, but I wouldn't call it impossibly unfun hard. It has its own charm, enjoyed by many.
Old 2013-12-16, 17:05   Link #112
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Because there is nothing to buy from the Landers. Lander stock gets bought up by the merchant guilds. And money has to be farmed as well.

Since we've already seen just that in this episode as well, how exactly does that spoil anything?

.... There is a Subclass called Farmer. That is not "possible" that is "confirmed unless you're really desperate to deny the possibility."

Chef Subclass allows you to cook, Blacksmith Subclass allows you to forge, Farmer Subclass allows you to farm. Simple as that.

You'd be surprised. Note for example how it's noted that the amount of crafters has risen since the apocalypse. "Playing the game" has also become a tough job now. And scary too, even for immortals.

Having spend some weeks amongst farmers and having lived directly across a farm for my whole life, farming is not that tough. Sure, it's harder labor than deskwork, but I wouldn't call it impossibly unfun hard. It has its own charm, enjoyed by many.
Quote:
Dont you know what "hypothetical" and "assuming" means? That means the situations arent necessarily true, just a made up situation mostly, but still relevant here.
And one more thing, sure you need to farm money too, but which one is easier? farming money and then buy the materials or farming in hoping to get the materials? Ill assume its the former.

Quote:
Since the scene in this episode only touch how Landers view the Adventurers, not whether Adventurers are different before and after Apocalypse

Quote:

"Deny the possibility" ....heh

Spoiler for forgot whether this is covered in anime or not:

Quote:

Sure that might be true, but does everyone in Elder Tale hold the same opinion?

In Ep 10, Charasin already suggested to hire Landers for RTA's clerical work. What do you think the reason is?
Old 2013-12-16, 17:31   Link #113
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Dont you know what "hypothetical" and "assuming" means? That means the situations arent necessarily true, just a made up situation mostly, but still relevant here.
And one more thing, sure you need to farm money too, but which one is easier? farming money and then buy the materials or farming in hoping to get the materials? Ill assume its the former.
There's nothing to "assume" about merchant guilds buying up Lander stock. We've seen this happening. We've also directly seen the results: Crescent Moon had to either have to hunt for their own ingredients, or trade with the merchant guilds.

Though I will admit that the Landers having ingredients for Blacksmiths and Mechanics for sale is still hypothetical at this stage. But if they don't, that just brings us back to square one: Adventurers don't need Landers for such resources.

Quote:
Since the scene in this episode only touch how Landers view the Adventurers, not whether Adventurers are different before and after Apocalypse
Yes it does! The ruler of the lands even send them a direct invitation to figure out what has changed.

Quote:

It's a Subclass called Farmer! What else is it going to be doing!? Arguing that a Subclass called Farmer can't farm even though the Subclass called Chef can cook and the Subclass called Blacksmith can forge is pointless beyond compare.

The "we'll have to puzzle what's possible" comment was aimed at what's possible with them outside the game system. Like using the Farmer Subclass to farm foodstuffs not covered by the in-game menu, or modern-day farming methods that greatly enhance the productivity.

Quote:
Sure that might be true, but does everyone in Elder Tale hold the same opinion?

In Ep 10, Charasin already suggested to hire Landers for RTA's clerical work. What do you think the reason is?
Of course not, there's plenty of people relishing combat. I'm just saying that the opposite is also true, and there are many players who really just want a calm, stable life.

Last edited by Keroko; 2013-12-16 at 20:03.
Old 2013-12-16, 17:33   Link #114
DQueenie13

Quote:

He said that in episode 11, so you're in the clear.

He's talking about the limits of the subclass, similar to how they tested their physical limits/class abilities in episode 2; for example, Nyanta discovered that chefs could cook manually and produce food that tasted normally. That was something only a person with the Chef subclass could do.

I can't tell where you're getting the "it's possible for some subclasses to do nothing" came from. Even when it was a game, few would choose having a subclass that does nothing, so why would it be added by the developers?

Spoiler for important stuff that comes later in the novels but has already been mentioned millions of times elsewhere:

Quote:
In Ep 10, Charasin already suggested to hire Landers for RTA's clerical work.
Spoiler for later volumes:
Old 2013-12-16, 22:11   Link #115
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
There's nothing to "assume" about merchant guilds buying up Lander stock. We've seen this happening. We've also directly seen the results: Crescent Moon had to either have to hunt for their own ingredients, or trade with the merchant guilds.

Though I will admit that the Landers having ingredients for Blacksmiths and Mechanics for sale is still hypothetical at this stage. But if they don't, that just brings us back to square one: Adventurers don't need Landers for such resources.

Yes it does! The ruler of the lands even send them a direct invitation to figure out what has changed.

It's a Subclass called Farmer! What else is it going to be doing!? Arguing that a Subclass called Farmer can't farm even though the Subclass called Chef can cook and the Subclass called Blacksmith can forge is pointless beyond compare.

The "we'll have to puzzle what's possible" comment was aimed at what's possible with them outside the game system. Like using the Farmer Subclass to farm foodstuffs not covered by the in-game menu, or modern-day farming methods that greatly enhance the productivity.

Of course not, there's plenty of people relishing combat. I'm just saying that the opposite is also true, and there are many players who really just want a calm, stable life.
-
Quote:
Which again proved a thing.Crescent moon doesnt have manpowers to keep up the supply and have to buy from another guild, since its easier. The reason they hunt in the first place is because its still a secret I believe(not to mention that capturing them alive yields more). When it is clear they cannot handle the demand, they resort to buy the ingredients, and incidentally by doing so will be advantageous for Shiroe's plan by making Charasin's guild a threat for 2 other guilds. And notice the items that in the list of bulk buying doesnt include boar meat (which is shown they hunt a lot and is probably sufficient) so the things on that list are probably hunt only items or items being sold by npc in rare quantity. Sugar, salt, oil and spices and other cooking necessities are also nonexistant on that list, meaning maybe they have enough of them. where do you think they got those items?

Quote:
That is more likely because the adventurers formed a government instead of their so called changes. How mant days have past between the apocalypse and the formation of RTC?A month? 2? if the Landers are concerned with the changes they would most likely sent spies earlier.

Quote:

That is just a logical assumption.
Edit: Shiroe said Adventurers with sufficient crafting skill. Does farmer subclass mentioned as a crafting subclass anywhere in anime?

Quote:
Yeah of course, but they dont necessarily farm. And you still havent answer my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQueenie13 View Post
He said that in episode 11, so you're in the clear.

He's talking about the limits of the subclass, similar to how they tested their physical limits/class abilities in episode 2; for example, Nyanta discovered that chefs could cook manually and produce food that tasted normally. That was something only a person with the Chef subclass could do.

I can't tell where you're getting the "it's possible for some subclasses to do nothing" came from. Even when it was a game, few would choose having a subclass that does nothing, so why would it be added by the developers?

Spoiler for important stuff that comes later in the novels but has already been mentioned millions of times elsewhere:

It can be interpreted various way really

Quote:
Spoiler for reply:

Last edited by darksassin; 2013-12-17 at 02:47.
Old 2013-12-16, 22:40   Link #116
J4n1

Right, we're veering of topic.
Can Adventurers Farm? Probably, there is nothing shown saying they can't.
Will Adventurers Farm? Unlikely, they have more interesting things to do.
Would Adventurers Farm if Landers were not there to do it? Maybe, depends on how much they like bread (and whether or not they can acquire flour by killing things).
Old 2013-12-16, 22:56   Link #117
Estavali
物語は、もう、おしまい……?

Quote:
Would Adventurers Farm if Landers were not there to do it? Maybe, depends on how much they like bread (and whether or not they can acquire flour by killing things).
Well, getting flour off monsters is farming in a way too =3

Signature by liro
Old 2013-12-16, 23:12   Link #118
J4n1

Quote:
Well, getting flour off monsters is farming in a way too =3
Well, yes, but not the kind of farming we were talking about.
Old 2013-12-16, 23:23   Link #119
darksassin
Is this dangerous??

Quote:
Right, we're veering of topic.
Can Adventurers Farm? Probably, there is nothing shown saying they can't.
Will Adventurers Farm? Unlikely, they have more interesting things to do.
Yea, Ive said that a few post ago, both about veering off topic and the conclusion, so I agree with you wholeheartedly
Also, Other than interesting, most Adventurers would be more unlikely to take farming if there are more pressing/important matter to tackle, for example if they were under attack from other forces
Old 2013-12-17, 08:21   Link #120
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Which again proved a thing.Crescent moon doesnt have manpowers to keep up the supply and have to buy from another guild, since its easier. The reason they hunt in the first place is because its still a secret I believe(not to mention that capturing them alive yields more). When it is clear they cannot handle the demand, they resort to buy the ingredients, and incidentally by doing so will be advantageous for Shiroe's plan by making Charasin's guild a threat for 2 other guilds. And notice the items that in the list of bulk buying doesnt include boar meat (which is shown they hunt a lot and is probably sufficient) so the things on that list are probably hunt only items or items being sold by npc in rare quantity. Sugar, salt, oil and spices and other cooking necessities are also nonexistant on that list, meaning maybe they have enough of them. where do you think they got those items?
Probably from the Landers. Now before you burst into a victory dance, remember that at that time, people thought only ingredient items could taste like they should, so those were bought en-masse. Stuff like salt, sugar, oil etc. would have seemed entirely pointless to the merchant guilds, because who eats raw salt, salt or oil?

Quote:
That is more likely because the adventurers formed a government instead of their so called changes. How mant days have past between the apocalypse and the formation of RTC?A month? 2? if the Landers are concerned with the changes they would most likely sent spies earlier.
... and the adventurers suddenly forming a government isn't a change in their behavior, how?

The argument that they'd have send spies sooner would fly in the age of cars and internet, sure. But this is Elder Tale. It can take days, even weeks just to travel between cities. News travels even slower. So there would be Apocalypse -> Landers notice change -> Landers travel between cities spreading rumors -> rumors reach palace -> debate -> decide to send spies -> >spies arrive -> spies spy -> spies return -> debate -> decide to invite to meeting -> ambassador travels to Akiba to give the invitation.

That's a lot of time.

Quote:
That is just a logical assumption.
What, that the Farmer Subclass allows adventurers to farm, or that "we need to investigate" refers to what can be done with Subclasses outside of the game's rules? Because the later was directly stated, and the former is just consistency and common sense.

Quote:
Edit: Shiroe said Adventurers with sufficient crafting skill. Does farmer subclass mentioned as a crafting subclass anywhere in anime?
Nope. The anime doesn't mention any subclass specifically as crafting or roleplaying. To learn which is which, we'd have to use the wiki.

Quote:
Yeah of course, but they dont necessarily farm. And you still havent answer my question.
The clerical work one? Like Shiroe said. Cheaper. Adventurers usually have a completely different view on value (I've lost count how many times in D&D my players were paying for their drinks with gold, even though their drinks were only a few copper each).
Closed Thread