AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Sword Art Online Extra Edition Rating
Perfect 10 5 12.82%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 7 17.95%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 6 15.38%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 33.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 12.82%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 5.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 2.56%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-12-31, 23:15   Link #21
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
If I counted right, there is exactly 41 minutes and 33 seconds of new content. Which in turn means that there is a whopping 59 minutes of recap!!! Quite excessive if you ask me...
Well, if you want to say that it makes it worse, some of the "new content" was there in part to bring context to the flashbacks. If there were no flashbacks at all, they probably could have told the whole OVA part in a regular 24 minute block.

But again, it makes sense if you consider the overall purpose: to remind people of what happened in the first season as they announce the second. Personally I didn't find the flashbacks to be all that excessive; they covered all the main points with dwelling on anything for too long, and the way it was broken up flowed well enough. It's not necessarily something to write home about... but I think it was fun for what it was.
Old 2014-01-01, 02:44   Link #22
Rozmdan
Nameless

I agree the way that the OVA flowed was surprisingly good. Also the focus on new content towards the end was a nice way to finish it off. One thing that I noticed however was that I didn't find out about the season 2 announcement until after I finished watching the whole OVA. It hinted at it a little bit at the end but the main trailer seemed to be posted elsewhere.

All in all it was a nice addition.
Old 2014-01-01, 06:08   Link #23
Rageth
Certified Degenerate

It was interesting. It met all my predictions, and most of my expectations. Recap via flashbacks, and about half actually dedicated towards the quest, followed by Season 2 announcement.

The only part that disappointed me was that only two spells were shown.
Rageth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 06:27   Link #24
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

i think the recap was important but the fun part was the new content at the near end of the show
Old 2014-01-01, 07:21   Link #25
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Lol, funny enough while they don't understand the lore, it's easy to tell that this is all connected to the Norse mythology campaign series. Which is practically begging for Season 2. XD
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 10:55   Link #26
GDB

"There are some on the Internet who don't believe Kirito is truly badass."
"What can we do, though? He's already gotten unique abilities, beat final bosses, and done what no one else could even with low level gear."
"...give him a motorcycle."

Also... wtf Kirito, you get Elucidator back and don't even consider it worth mentioning?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 16:32   Link #27
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
"There are some on the Internet who don't believe Kirito is truly badass."
"What can we do, though? He's already gotten unique abilities, beat final bosses, and done what no one else could even with low level gear."
"...give him a motorcycle."

Also... wtf Kirito, you get Elucidator back and don't even consider it worth mentioning?
The dude is the best damn hacker the MMO world has ever seen. He's basically making a living out of hacking games to do impossible stuff

Btw that was a very well executed recap mixed in with fanservice episode. Rather enjoyed it, much more than I enjoyed the second arc of the show. Also: Liz and Silica being in it makes it an instant watch for me
Old 2014-01-01, 16:48   Link #28
daedalron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
He didn't get Elucidator back. If you're talking about the weapon he use in the new underwater quest, it's a sword forged by Liz to replace the longsword he used in the beginning of ALO. If you look at the guard, it's different (it look closer to the guard of Dark Repulser).
Elucidator is a drop from the lvl 50 boss. At the moment of Extra Edition, Aincrad is only open up to the level 10, level 11-100 are not accessible.
daedalron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 17:39   Link #29
Rageth
Certified Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
The dude is the best damn hacker the MMO world has ever seen. He's basically making a living out of hacking games to do impossible stuff

Btw that was a very well executed recap mixed in with fanservice episode. Rather enjoyed it, much more than I enjoyed the second arc of the show. Also: Liz and Silica being in it makes it an instant watch for me
Eh? Hacker? When did he ever show he coul--- oh, the Yui episode? But Yui had logged into that terminal moments ago to summon the Object Eraser, and Kirito merely used her credentials.

Calling that hacking is like saying you were hacked because you forgot to log off of a public computer, and someone decided to use your account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalron View Post
He didn't get Elucidator back. If you're talking about the weapon he use in the new underwater quest, it's a sword forged by Liz to replace the longsword he used in the beginning of ALO. If you look at the guard, it's different (it look closer to the guard of Dark Repulser).
Elucidator is a drop from the lvl 50 boss. At the moment of Extra Edition, Aincrad is only open up to the level 10, level 11-100 are not accessible.
This^
There's also how most of SAO's former players decided to inherit their SAO account, into ALO. This was explained at the end of Episode 25, and Kirito mentioned he was one of the few who didn't transfer his stats and items over, and even went as far as reseting his stats.
Rageth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 17:52   Link #30
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageth View Post
Eh? Hacker? When did he ever show he coul--- oh, the Yui episode? But Yui had logged into that terminal moments ago to summon the Object Eraser, and Kirito merely used her credentials.

Calling that hacking is like saying you were hacked because you forgot to log off of a public computer, and someone decided to use your account.
I was obviously making a joke about the fact that he beat Heathcliff even after dying and entered ALO with insane stats carrying over from SAO. He also managed to turn Yui into a game-object in mere seconds. How is that not having 1337 hacking skills?
Old 2014-01-01, 18:01   Link #31
DXMichael
Psycho Falling Deep

This was actually a nice watch, I forgot how wonderful Asuna looked when she on the verge of crying from happiness. The extra bits added in was rather nice even if most of it was fanservice, we at least get to see how they're all doing and coping. The last 15 minutes was worth it with the extra quest and seeing them working together
Old 2014-01-01, 22:32   Link #32
Nezu

Great episode, though I must sadly admit to skipping the recap parts except for the new framing scenes. Always nice to see Sugu and the girls, and adding the other females from Kirito's life was all the better!

Definitely nice to see the end leading up to the new season!
Nezu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 22:37   Link #33
Monoriu

This is nice for a 2-hour advertisement for the upcoming season. There are enough new scenes and dialogue to keep the show interesting. The quest at the end is particularly good. Even the recaps are not too boring because they just showed some of the best scenes.
Monoriu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-01, 22:59   Link #34
Krono

About what I expected. A recap movie with a nice framing device. The quest at the end was nice.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 01:38   Link #35
Znail

The best recap episode I have ever seen! Not that much of a distinction as they usually suck horribly and should be avoided by anyone who have actually seen the series. This one seems more aimed at people who watched the series as a refresher rather then only for people who want to jump into the middle of a series or missed episodes.

It also fits seamlessly into the story, despite being anime original and it makes me wonder if they hired the novel author to write it?
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 02:06   Link #36
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
It also fits seamlessly into the story, despite being anime original and it makes me wonder if they hired the novel author to write it?
Actually, he did do work on it apparently:

"Sword Art Online light novel author Reki Kawahara contributed to the script for the new scenes."
Old 2014-01-02, 04:33   Link #37
DarkJak2050

If there's a way to re-cap on a series, this would be it. It covered the major events, it was told from different views and a little bit of the side-stories, the most important (also one of the saddest parts in the series) for Kirito's character were put in.

And to end it with new content. Although, how the new content ended felt a bit rushed. If it didn't, I would've given this a 10. But that doesn't change the fact that this is done very well.

I can't wait to see how the Phantom Bullet Arc will be done.

Last edited by DarkJak2050; 2014-01-02 at 04:58.
DarkJak2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 08:05   Link #38
Peanutbutter

Now this is how recaps should be done. With additional character comments, different point of views and afterthoughts, this was really done brilliantly.

Suguha looked utterly delicious in every scene. I was nodding in approval and salivating whenever she appeared. And they recap her (and her VA's) best scene in the series. 11/10 approval!

The ALO quest was fun to watch, especially with the "event" that happened. I seriously had a good laugh. And I deciphered that "acronym" right at the start, when Sugu found it weird.

Looking forward to whatever it is they're animating.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 08:32   Link #39
daedalron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
The ALO quest was fun to watch, especially with the "event" that happened. I seriously had a good laugh. And I deciphered that "acronym" right at the start, when Sugu found it weird.
Yep, it was a nice quest, but the end was kinda obvious right from the start, with the anagram. Especially when you know the way the Cardinal system design the quests.
daedalron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 10:05   Link #40
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
Yeah, the focus on it was just enough that most people probably realized there would be some twist involving him, and most English speakers that cared to probably figured it out right after.