AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-05, 12:58   Link #221
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
unfortunately Ian Sinclair's voice for Dandy just makes it impossible for me to even stand him. He just sounds so God damn obnoxious. All the other characters are fine, but I think I'm gonna have to stick with subs on this one.

Funny I am the opposite his is the only voice in the dub that really works for me. Well I am okay with the robot too. I mean he does sound obnoxious but the character comes off that way.

The rest are the typical Funimation that it is a bit distracting to me. Not bad, just a sort of average dub.

I will just continue to watch the dub though because well turning on the TV is just so easy.

As for the show itself I am not sure. The parody on Hooters didn't do it for me. The 2nd half was a bit better but I am not really sure if I am in for just this type of sci-fi hijinks. The only part that really made me laugh was the slow transporters.
Old 2014-01-05, 13:21   Link #222
Dop
Mmmm....

OK, I've now seen the sub as well as the dub version, and on the whole I think I'll stick to the sub in future. The dub's not bad, but I'm going to be sad about this. Also, I think the narrator should have had a more Peter Jones-y sort of a voice.

Anyway. At the very worst this show is still going to be that vacuous fun thing you watch for an easy laugh but which doesn't leave any kind of lasting impression.

I think it might take a few more episodes to see where they're going with this, though. Something that's getting this level of treatment has to have more to it, I'd hope!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 13:24   Link #223
apotheosis
Shinigami

Disappointed. The humor was more embarassing than amusing. I have nothing against T&A or jokes about them, just didn't think that would be the focus point for half the show ..

When the show finally started going, the action was just ok IMO. Nothing to write home about.

The dub was ok, I guess. Nowhere near as a good as Bebop, Hellsing, Stein's Gate, etc.

I was hoping to see something awesome given the director, so that may have raised expectations too high. I will give it a few more weeks.
apotheosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 13:36   Link #224
MCAL

The fourth wall was shattered into hundreds of pieces there.

A pretty meh first half, but the second half was pretty cool and stylish. And the ending was hilarious.

EDIT: Watched it subbed now. I think I prefer the dub if only for it having a few more jokes (Also the voice of Honey was a lot less obnoxious in the dub), even if the opening and ending are replaced by something much less interesting to listen to.

Last edited by MCAL; 2014-01-05 at 14:11.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 14:08   Link #225
HandofFate

humor was really flat.
premise is very try-hard.

The last 5-7minutes was good though.
Many people seem to just be hyped that this is having a dub simulcast and not really caring about actual show merits.
Old 2014-01-05, 14:08   Link #226
psycho bolt
Cowmaster

not sure whats going on
psycho bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 14:10   Link #227
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 14:11   Link #228
MCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
humor was really flat.
premise is very try-hard.

The last 5-7minutes was good though.
Many people seem to just be hyped that this is having a dub simulcast and not really caring about actual show merits.
I guess the director meant nothing to people.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 16:34   Link #229
isamu99

Can anyone confirm if YK is doing the music for this series?
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 16:46   Link #230
Thatguy3331
Pro Slacker

Episode 1:

Spoiler for episode 1 spoilers:
Old 2014-01-05, 16:58   Link #231
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
Can anyone confirm if YK is doing the music for this series?
The only time I remember seeing her name in the credits was for doing the arrangement for the ending song (which is a fun little song).

Also, I don't remember how and when it disappeared from my previous post, but this episode was written by Watanabe himself, which is one of the reasons why I found it so disappointing. Just... stick to directing and stuff.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 17:09   Link #232
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Well, for me the humor was kinda hit and miss. This is obviously a series that does not take itself seriously, knows it does not, and thoroughly enjoys itself, but, well - sometimes it works for me and sometimes not.

To be honest I rather liked "meow" the most of the charas, but hfta give props to the absolute ridiculousness of dandy's idiotic going on about "going with the flow". I admit I was giggling while watching that.

Lets give the next few eps a try.
Old 2014-01-05, 17:44   Link #233
Dextro
He Without a Title

I have absolutely no idea what I just saw but some of the animation on the second half was glorious indeed. Also: the soundtrack is sounding pretty nice so far.
Old 2014-01-05, 17:44   Link #234
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I more or less got what I came in for. This was very well animated and colorful as expected. The setting and characters are as goofy and eccentric as the previews suggested, so no disappointment there either. This could have been great... Unfortunately, it wasn't funny at all, although I did like the fourth wall breaking. If they work more on the comedy, perhaps we'll have a winner. As of now, I stand unimpressed.

Random interrogation: If Dandy is an ass man, then why is his dream to visit every breastaurant in the universe?
Old 2014-01-05, 17:52   Link #235
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
...Random interrogation: If Dandy is an ass man, then why is his dream to visit every breastaurant in the universe?
Wait... what?

You are asking for logic and consistency from a series like this?
Old 2014-01-05, 19:11   Link #236
Uribatake

The first episode reminded me of the latter seasons of Galaxy Angel, with some truly wacky, absurd humor, an incompetent hero and a surprisingly grim ending that probably won't be followed up on next week.

I just think that kind of "anything goes" approach worked better on Galaxy Angel because each story usually only took up half an episode, which ensured they ended before they got repetitive and tiresome. Hopefully the next episodes, written by people other than Watanabe, will be sharper.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 19:45   Link #237
neshru

From one of the people that worked on the show:

neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 20:09   Link #238
Cloudenvy

Welp, that didn't take long.

http://imgur.com/6aOQFIh

Last edited by Cloudenvy; 2014-01-05 at 20:29.
Cloudenvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 20:24   Link #239
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The only thing that bothered me in this episode is the abuse of lampshade hanging by QT. It's okay to do it once, but more times? You better have the dry wit of a Sugita or the charisma and hilarity of Deadpool.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 20:25   Link #240
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

I'm pretty amused by the reaction to this show's release. We're all sort of used to the idea of hype trains going towards shows that are big explosive action adventure shows. After the first episode we can sit down and talk about the crazy plot set up and how intense it was. But, a comedy where the whole joke is that it's a parody of big space oepras? How is your hype supposed to respond to that? I personally found the whole thing hilarious, and I watched the premiere with a bunch of friends. Energy and thought like this is never a disappointment.

In fact, I found the whole episode to be a new revelation in terms of comedy style. I have difficulty coming up with one exact style of comedy it's most in love with. If I had to pick one, it would a metacomedy, since almost every single joke is played against either the genre or itself.

Tags
comedy, retro sci-fi