AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-02-03, 17:53   Link #161
Casshern

Well the commentators don't pause real games for 10 minutes of exposition every time someone does a trick. In real basketball they'd say he's in the zone and that's that. It just means he's playing really well. Predictably, in Naruto no Basket it had to be a superpower.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 02:29   Link #162
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
~ snipped ~
My main gripe is that they can execute it at the right moment without any practice or studying the things Kuroko studied. But nevermind that, I'll just swallow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Thanks again and good to see you back.
Long story. It started with 'unknown' people looking for me in this forum, and I have to sign in, then the addiction of posting kicks in again. Though my average post count is surely reducing (recently up a little again due to festive season lull ). Though I haven't yet gotten around to replying to 80% of the 'farewell'-reply PMs I got. AS-addiction is hard to kick though I need to try to be more reserved in my posting, both in quantity and nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolity View Post
This match is too damn long. It's like watching Dragonball. The episode begins with two guys charging up their powers and they still haven't finished charging by the time the episode ends.

The match should have been condensed a little more so that it ends with this episode. As it stands, it's now even longer than the length of a real basketball match.
Have you watched Slam Dunk or other sports anime? They are more or less like that
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-04, 07:36   Link #163
Archaeon

Having seen Prince of Tennis,I can easily get used to all the ridiculous move in KnB.

Yeah,zone in real life pretty much just means playing well,on top of his game..something like that.
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-06, 21:23   Link #164
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Izuki (Eagle Eye guy) is their PG, and he scores from time to time. No one knows what Kuroko is.
I don't know if even Kuroko himself knows what he is supposed to be. Even if we look away from how Kuroko's role is similar to the way a point guard position is played, he is still a burden to a team. That's pretty much my point regardless whatever his position is called. The opposing team literally don't need to guard him cause he is not a scoring threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Long story. It started with 'unknown' people looking for me in this forum, and I have to sign in, then the addiction of posting kicks in again. Though my average post count is surely reducing (recently up a little again due to festive season lull ). Though I haven't yet gotten around to replying to 80% of the 'farewell'-reply PMs I got. AS-addiction is hard to kick though I need to try to be more reserved in my posting, both in quantity and nature.
At one point, I used to average 28 posts a day. Fond memories! AS is indeed addictive.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 01:32   Link #165
Archaeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I don't know if even Kuroko himself knows what he is supposed to be. Even if we look away from how Kuroko's role is similar to the way a point guard position is played, he is still a burden to a team. That's pretty much my point regardless whatever his position is called. The opposing team literally don't need to guard him cause he is not a scoring threat.

At one point, I used to average 28 posts a day. Fond memories! AS is indeed addictive.
This. Finally,someone speak up. Because Kuroko inability to score,there's no need to guard him at all. Might sent the defender to double team other offensive player.

I guess the author don't play basketball or never watch basketball match.
Archaeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 02:56   Link #166
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
This. Finally,someone speak up. Because Kuroko inability to score,there's no need to guard him at all. Might sent the defender to double team other offensive player.

I guess the author don't play basketball or never watch basketball match.
It's not like he never misses. If he were completely wide open, he'd probably be able to score. He did practice a lot in the training camp so it'd be pretty stupid to not guard him at all.

There's a much larger chance they'll get scored on if no one is guarding him. IRL, double-teaming happens, but it usually only happens against someone like I don't know... Aomine... which gasp did happen.

And god that episode was amazing!!!! I love this show. It's such a feel good show every time I watch it. It's always the best 20 minutes of my week (except maybe Kill la kill ep's... and new Index LN's...)

Last edited by dniv; 2014-02-08 at 16:36.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 16:53   Link #167
ookamigirl

Kagami & Aomine, what a showdown!
I'm surprised he was able to reach Aomine's level.
Seems like Aomine finally met his match.
It was nice to see the shock on Aomine's face.
Sure was an amazing change of pace.
Desperate moves really pushed me towards the edge this time.
Geez, the intensity of this game was amazing.
It was weird seeing Aomine act like a normal person.
Such a close win. Can't wait to see their next game.
Great episode.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 17:46   Link #168
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Also, I saw comments on crunchyroll about zone being a "power" and that it's no surprise people are using powers here.

That made me laugh really hard. Having been "very" competitive in tennis when I was younger, and doing multiple sports, it's obvious that the "zone" is a real thing, which happens IRL. IRL it's called flow though, you can wikipedia it... It is a real thing when your concentration/energy/spirit is at a high enough level...
Old 2014-02-08, 19:29   Link #169
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Yes, and three-pointers also are real things - what Midorima does still qualifies as a "power".

While the Zone is no doubt based on a real thing, I don't think it's to the point that the rest of the team becomes a dead weight.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 20:20   Link #170
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

That last foul call looked quite dubious to me. I would have given the Toou Centre the "straight up" benefit of the doubt. It would have been a blocking foul if he jumped while he was in the restricted area, but it didn't really look that way from the camera angle we had.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 20:45   Link #171
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Yes, and three-pointers also are real things - what Midorima does still qualifies as a "power".

While the Zone is no doubt based on a real thing, I don't think it's to the point that the rest of the team becomes a dead weight.
That's true, but it's also somewhat true in real life. If you have the best players playing exceptionally well, at their best, when everyone else is on their last legs, this would tend to happen.

By "power" I got the gist of supernatural power as in Prince of Tennis, which is where the comparison was being made, and so I wanted to point out that this is most definitely not the case. Being in the zone, is not the same as hitting a samurai-drive or in Tenchi no Kiwami.
Old 2014-02-08, 20:53   Link #172
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Also, I saw comments on crunchyroll about zone being a "power" and that it's no surprise people are using powers here.

That made me laugh really hard. Having been "very" competitive in tennis when I was younger, and doing multiple sports, it's obvious that the "zone" is a real thing, which happens IRL. IRL it's called flow though, you can wikipedia it... It is a real thing when your concentration/energy/spirit is at a high enough level...
Quote:

Practise long and hard enough, and your basic skills will be refined to the point where they seem superhuman in nature. Midorima's good at his three-pointers because he practices - the only "supernatural" aspect of his shooting ability is his reliance on horoscopes.

Good to see Kuroko finally getting a small degree of closure from his Teikou years, and that Aomine's finally accepted the existence of someone being better. As for the story card in the ending credits, I actually chuckled at the face Takao was making while attempting to overhear Midorima's phone conversation.

Spoiler for Regarding the preview:
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 23:46   Link #173
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:

In the NBA right now, there are three players in my very humble opinion holds the "power." First one is Stephen Curry who is probably one of the purest shooter in the history of basketball. This guy literally is changing Golden State Warriors (the team Steph Curry plays for) fortune all by himself. When he gets into one of those zone, he scores in a sense that doesn't make much sense. The team has other very good players, but when he gets hot they keep feeding him the ball because he gives the best opportunity for that team to win. The other two such players are Kevin Durant and Carmello Anthony.

Aomine didn't score every quarter. If the other players didn't score, this game would have been won by Seirin a long time ago. Once Aomine got hot after the second half and that got into that zone half into the fourth quarter, the team kept feeding him the ball because he was their ace and he also gave that team their best chance of winning. It has nothing to do with "power" as you say. And they were not a "dead weight" as you say.

Anyway, episode was very exciting. I agree with Dniv that the level excitement this can create is unmatched most shows that are currently airing. I enjoyed every minute of it.
Old 2014-02-08, 23:51   Link #174
hamazura
whatever

btw, zone does exist in real life. its called "adrenaline". i often entering zone when i play serious chess tournament, there is only me, opponent, and chess board. im 120% focus and surrounding seems disappeared
some of you may enter zone when you play ultra hard game with 200% focus needed

at least they dont make this power up as OP as prince of tennis's super saiyan with its 3 OP door, hyaku ren jitoki, sakikanpatsu and super saiyan GOD Tenimuho
Old 2014-02-09, 22:06   Link #175
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well that was one good ending to that game
Old 2014-02-09, 22:29   Link #176
sayde

That was a fun match. Still waiting for Kuroko to score a goddamn bucket though. I really thought that was the entire reason behind mastering the vanishing drive technique. I mean, what's the point of having this technique that can potentially allow a player to blow by their defender resulting in what could realistically lead to a wide open lane to the basket for himself for an easy lay-up, if it's just going to be used to pass the ball? It's one of the most irritating aspects about the vanishing drive. The author apparently doesn't want Kuroko to use it as an offensive technique for *himself*. But the basic nature of the technique makes it feel perfectly suited for that very task. Ultimately, this makes the vanishing drive's usage up till now feel somewhat unrealistic.

Really, I love this anime. Haven't liked a sports anime this much since PoT and Hajime no Ippo, but for a main protagonist, I find Kuroko to be a little underwhelming. Since this match basically concluded by centering around Kagami's new power-up, here's to hoping something similar can happen to Kuroko soon. And hopefully it results in Kuroko being able to contribute just two measly points towards the win. lol

I don't feel like I'm asking for the moon and the stars here, am I? I mean the anime is named after him. I feel like he should be entitled to score some points in a game as high scoring as basketball.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 23:01   Link #177
king12354

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
Practise long and hard enough, and your basic skills will be refined to the point where they seem superhuman in nature. Midorima's good at his three-pointers because he practices - the only "supernatural" aspect of his shooting ability is his reliance on horoscopes.
It doesn't seem superhuman, it is superhuman to be able to control your muscles to that extent, to hit a shot from anywhere on the court. No amount of practicing can turn you into a Midorima.

Every game in the series that I watch, I get the feeling that it is ridiculing the game of basketball by giving these high schoolers insane abilities and making everything look so easy.
king12354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-09, 23:15   Link #178
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post

I don't feel like I'm asking for the moon and the stars here, am I? I mean the anime is named after him. I feel like he should be entitled to score some points in a game as high scoring as basketball.
You might indeed be asking for the moons and the stars here.... I'm also sure Kuroko will have to score in one of these coming matches as the opponent becomes stronger and stronger. Passing alone can't win matches when the match-up is uneven in terms of who is scoring. And as we know, a Point Guard HAS to score. Otherwise he is just a waste of a player in a rotation. So yeah... I'm sure it's coming. I'm also sure when Kuroko does score, the level of hype probably will match or exceed a level-2 Saiyajin transformation.

Some of us might even go for a jog to level out that huge dosage of adrenaline rush thanks to the supernovae event of Kuroko's scoring.
Old 2014-02-09, 23:28   Link #179
sayde

^^Perfect example of an instance where I'm wishing we had the rep system back. Good one Monir.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-10, 01:15   Link #180
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by king12354 View Post
It doesn't seem superhuman, it is superhuman to be able to control your muscles to that extent, to hit a shot from anywhere on the court. No amount of practicing can turn you into a Midorima.

Every game in the series that I watch, I get the feeling that it is ridiculing the game of basketball by giving these high schoolers insane abilities and making everything look so easy.
You do have to understand though. These players do have "supernatural powers" they are just not as insane as perhaps prince of tennis.

Have you never played Backyard Basketball? There are plenty of Midorimas in it in easy mode.

It's not making fun of basketball, it's supposed to inspire people to play it. Shows like these are aimed at mainly younger people, and also adults with the hope of introducing them to something they make like. In the show of course it's easier than in real life. In Shonen that always happens.

Tags
basketball, sports