AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

View Poll Results: Kill La Kill - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 63 71.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 23.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 3.41%
7 out of 10 : Good 1 1.14%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-03-18, 10:16   Link #141
Gravitas Free Zone

On a trope note, Mako's uniform, like that of Satsuki and Ryuko, doesn't really hide her very much when it is being used, unlike the guys' uniforms. (I'm leaving the minor club presidents out of this argument, and the wild card that is Nonon's uniform still doesn't particularly obscure her face or body, even when it was wrapped inside a giant rocket-firing Pink Floyd production.)

However, Mako's uniform has also done a lot of damage without requiring very much visible transformation. Instead of having it get more fanservicey or wrap around her body, she just gets a bit more bling. So I wonder if there's a "not even my final form" joke remaining.
Old 2014-03-18, 11:00   Link #142
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
The article "la" is not exclusive to Italian. It's used in French and Spanish as well. Pretty much any language in the Romance language family group, i.e. languages derived from Latin, use it. My opinion is that it's use in the title is simply for the la-dee-dah effective.
From what I've seen in anime, the Japanese have a better awareness of French than other Romance languages. This might date back to the "Japonisme" period in the late 19th century when the French became enamored with Japanese art and culture. (You get a sense of this in Ikoku Meiro no Croisée.)

Though the article "la" is the feminine equivalent of "the," it also occurs in superlative phrases like "crème de la crème." There's also "ooh, la la," of course, but I don't think that has a meaningful translation.
Old 2014-03-18, 11:21   Link #143
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
@playmaker2k Ah, SoTN. Nah, that wasn't it. Maybe I was thinking of those TW cable CM's. "Don't let you dad get punched over a can of soup".

@Solace: Well, chances are if her uniform was finished then more than likely the Elite 4's are ready as well. Because that's going to be coming up soon. Everyone is going in. Now ask yourself why she dropped out the sky in the wardrobe and there was no helicopter in sight. At this point in time I'm gonna toss whatever logic out the window. I doubt we'll get an explanation. Cause we only got 1 more ep to go and stuff has to get done.

@Gan_HOPE326: Y'know that's an interesting point that no one has talked about. There was a point where people were trying to figure stuff out and finding things but then it stopped. The question on my mind was what does "Kill la Kill" mean? I knew there was a play on words but what exactly was my question and no one really tried to answer it. But I'm waiting for as many analyses as one can make.

But I'll say one thing I haven't been this entertained in a loooong time. Kill la Kill has all my favorite recipes, some OS 70's, stuff the likes of Go Nagai. Strong females, but isn't that anime all the time. But is this the first time we've seen the hot-blooded, (sukeban) delinquent girl wandering female (with attitude) in anime? The only one that I've seen do it is Go Nagai. But not as a protagonist. If Kill la Kill was a live action, I'd cast Pink films Miki Sugimoto as Ryuko and Reiko Ike as Satsuki. That is if they were 40 years younger. Not to mention this show combines by two favorite color schemes "red" and "black". I knew I was gonna love this show. KLK might be my TTGL. It's the first time I can say I watched a show and say I enjoyed it without feeling like..."didn't like it I should have."

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
Old 2014-03-18, 11:28   Link #144
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Perhaps even Satsuki had a replacement uniform in mind/already produced for Mako from the moment she tore off the original one, since Mako had already demonstrated a great deal of potential back then for being more than just a pig in human clothing...
This is pretty obviously likely, isn't it, as far ahead as Satsuki plans things? The presence of the wardrobe in the previous scene pretty much confirms it. Why put it there otherwise?

Even if it isn't the case, we saw Iori awaken his 3-star well before she made her appearance. We don't really know how long a period that was, but given the abilities we've seen from awakened 3-stars, it was certainly long enough for him to remake Mako's uni and be well on the way to finishing the Devas' Mark IVs.
Old 2014-03-18, 12:04   Link #145
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Though the article "la" is the feminine equivalent of "the," it also occurs in superlative phrases like "crème de la crème." There's also "ooh, la la," of course, but I don't think that has a meaningful translation.
Yeah but even there it's just means "cream of the cream" (in English you'd say cream of the crop to mean the same thing). It's still an article. Another thing that "LA" is in some European countries is the sixth note (in literal notation, that'd be an A). Still not very meaningful, since music isn't a big theme in the show (except when Nonon's on stage, that is).

Honestly, I think at this point that has been thrown in there mostly for alliteration's sake. Plus, I think the title itself is an homage to Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill. It's pretty much a given that Imaishi is a Tarantino fan anyway (you got the Pulp Fiction references in episode 4, as well as in P&S - there was Pulp Addiction and also Excretion without Honour or Humanity, which might be a reference to either an old Japanese movie or the titular Kill Bill song "Battle without Honour or Humanity" - which referenced the movie anyway). Add to that that Satsuki's decapitation scene was almost an anime reproduction of O-Ren Ishii decapitating her underling. And that blood rains, common in Kill la Kill, are featured in the anime segment of Kill Bill as well.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Old 2014-03-18, 12:10   Link #146
chrno

Wonder what Tarantino would say if he watched KLK. In a way it is somewhat in that vein. Be funny if one day KLK ends up being a study finding all these tidbits.

Old 2014-03-18, 17:16   Link #147
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrno View Post
But is this the first time we've seen the hot-blooded, (sukeban) delinquent girl wandering female (with attitude) in anime?
What about Sukeban Deka? Saki is easily the most well known sukeban protagonist in anime, manga and even live action.

In fact, Kill la Kill's first ending was a homage to Sukeban Deka (the live action version though).

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...tified-by-fans
Old 2014-03-18, 18:24   Link #148
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
What about Sukeban Deka? Saki is easily the most well known sukeban protagonist in anime, manga and even live action.

In fact, Kill la Kill's first ending was a homage to Sukeban Deka (the live action version though).

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...tified-by-fans
Oh yeah, that's right. Actually I saw that. That was throwback that fans caught. I've never seen the anime for Sukeban Deka, though I have seen at least one of the live-action movies. But would it be a first for the "hot blooded" female like the "hot blooded" males of Go Nagai days and the Brave series, like GGG which is also a throwback to that period?

Old 2014-03-19, 18:44   Link #149
Kazu-kun

Quote:
But would it be a first for the "hot blooded" female?
I don't know for sure but I think it must be at least one of the first examples of that character type.
Old 2014-03-19, 19:52   Link #150
J the Drafter

Quote:
She wasn't called out though. She called herself out. It's not so much like the series was passing judgment on her.
Ryuko called Satsuki out; Satsuki apologized.

Quote:
It already did.
Too true.

Quote:
It's the other way around. Defeating Ragyo and save the world was Satsuki's goal to being with. It's Ryuko who has changed enough to stand beside her for the same cause.
Ryuko didn't need to change to stand beside Satsuki, she needed to find out that Satsuki also wanted to take Ragyo down.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
Old 2014-03-19, 21:43   Link #151
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
Ryuko called Satsuki out; Satsuki apologized.
Ryuko wasn't in a position to call anyone out after her blunder, specially right after it. Satsuki apologized only after Ryuko understood that even Satsuki have people supporting her and she and Ryuko aren't so different. Satsuki's apology is a respond to Ryuko's self-realization, not to her "calling her out."

Quote:
Ryuko didn't need to change to stand beside Satsuki, she needed to find out that Satsuki also wanted to take Ragyo down.
No, Ryuko needed to change, and so she did. All she wanted at first was revenge for her father. She couldn't care less about the world and whatnot. She changed, and she realized that Satsuki was different than how she thought she was only after she changed.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2014-03-20 at 04:50.
Old 2014-03-19, 21:53   Link #152
juventus95

I see Nui's smiling again in ep 23 preview. Wonder what Nui means in episode 11 when she mentions that Satsuki's and her heart beats as one. Hope not something crazy like, "If I die, you die."
Old 2014-03-20, 04:46   Link #153
kazuki_yuki92
Lelouch and C.C fans

Send a message via Yahoo to kazuki_yuki92
Quote:
Originally Posted by juventus95 View Post
I see Nui's smiling again in ep 23 preview. Wonder what Nui means in episode 11 when she mentions that Satsuki's and her heart beats as one. Hope not something crazy like, "If I die, you die."
i hope its not like that..

i don't not wish satsuki-sama must die like that
Old 2014-03-20, 06:12   Link #154
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
Quote:
It's the other way around. Defeating Ragyo and save the world was Satsuki's goal to being with. It's Ryuko who has changed enough to stand beside her for the same cause.
You're both right. Ryuko didn't even know Ragyo existed, so she had to change the target of her revenge from Satsuki, but her target always was "whoever killed my dad", which Ragyo was of course behind, so that didn't change. Personality-wise, most every person who is even remotely a protagonist has changed somewhat over the course of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juventus95 View Post
The writing so far has been well above such contrived plot devices. If there's an "I must sacrifice myself to get the job done" moment, it will be more straightforward and natural.
Old 2014-03-20, 12:41   Link #155
chrno

Quote:
I don't know for sure but I think it must be at least one of the first examples of that character type.
Hmmm...as a protagonist it could be a first. But you see them a lot in anime as side characters.

There's a segment in this month's Otaku USA, which I'm reading now.

Old 2014-03-20, 16:15   Link #156
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Hmmm...as a protagonist it could be a first. But you see them a lot in anime as side characters.

There's a segment in this month's Otaku USA, which I'm reading now.
Yeah, but Sukeban Deka as a manga ran from 1976 to 1982. How many other "hot blooded females" (if any) were around back then?
Old 2014-03-20, 16:39   Link #157
chrno

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Yeah, but Sukeban Deka as a manga ran from 1976 to 1982. How many other "hot blooded females" (if any) were around back then?
True. But it's not a normal combination. Well, it's one character then combine it with extreme scream of a Go Nagai flick. Maybe I might be thinking about something that might not be what I think is.

Old 2014-03-20, 16:50   Link #158
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I thought we were talking about protagonists....
Old 2014-03-20, 17:04   Link #159
chrno

Quote:
I thought we were talking about protagonists....
I was. Ryuko is the protagonist for this show. Just like any main character in any Go Nagai film. What I was saying that you do see the "sukeban" character as a side character. With the exception of shows like Sukeban Deka (I have yet to see the anime, but I'm sure I can find it somewhere). But we're talking about a "hot blooded" female in the same vein as everything that ever came out of a Go Nagai series. All those characters were male, the guy in Getta Robo, Koji Kabuto in Mazinger-Z. Funny thing is Go Nagai is probably one that pushed the whole rough edged hero. The delinquent hero, etc... from the 70's to the 80's. Godannar was close but not close enough. GGG harkens back to that era. Which is probably why Kill la Kill also harkens back to the whole screaming hot-bloodedness. But Ryuko has that deliquent attitude but again she's is the protagonist. It started with her but it's finishing with her and Satsuki. Satsuki is pretty "hot-blooded" herself but her's is a case of finesse and authority. But it's the vernacular of the streets, that's often found in banchou's and sukebans that I like.

Old 2014-03-20, 21:08   Link #160
J the Drafter

[QUOTE=quigonkenny;5050576]Personality-wise, most every person who is even remotely a protagonist has changed somewhat over the course of the series./QUOTE]
No, outside of Satsuki's apology (which I've already talked about). The show has made the Honnouji Faction more sympathetic, but the Devas have never once demonstrated any regret over what they did. They'd show little to no hesitation attacking Ryuko and Nudist Beach on Satsuki's command even now. (And by "little to no hesitation", I mean that Gamagoori would be bothered by such an order but he'd still do it. The other three wouldn't bat an eye.) The Devas haven't become any better. The show just stopped looking at their nastier traits.
Spoiler for You'll Understand Who this is For (Don't worry quigonkenny, I don't mean you, so don't be confused.:
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
Closed Thread

Tags
pure awesomeness