AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-03-06, 08:10   Link #21
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Watched Jesse Cox playthrough of this, funniest shit ever. God I haven't laughed so hard at a video game in a long time. The game is awesome.
Old 2014-03-06, 08:20   Link #22
hamazura
whatever

the other classes like warrior, thief and mage are pretty cool but i rly want to be jew, how do i decide?
Old 2014-03-06, 09:41   Link #23
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Well... considering there's a trophy/achievement to find Jesus as a Jew... I'd say that's a good enough reason if your into collecting those~
Old 2014-03-06, 11:14   Link #24
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I think a lot of people would pick "Jew" simply because its the most unique out of all the class Warrior, thief and mage are pretty overused in RPG lol.

EDIT:

Well, I didn't see this one coming...

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2014-03-06 at 11:48.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-06, 17:31   Link #25
Ak3mi
Tumble Rumble

Good review by him, I don't understand why people would pick this game up if they aren't fans of south park. A lot of reviewers keep on pointing it out, I thought it was obvious that you wont like the game if you don't like the show.
Old 2014-03-06, 21:16   Link #26
hamazura
whatever

many of my classmates didnt watch south park but loving the game, its fvkin hilarous
Old 2014-03-07, 04:02   Link #27
Achiuakuna
Kimo-kimo-ii~

So far my favorite part is the junk items. Sure brings back memories of those old episodes in which they appeared.
Achiuakuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-07, 04:07   Link #28
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Ok... kind of lame that I capped off at lvl15...
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-07, 04:12   Link #29
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Ok... kind of lame that I capped off at lvl15...
uh oh, it's Fallout 3 all over again...
Old 2014-03-07, 04:15   Link #30
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Well I'm only complaining because AFAIK I capped off kinda early (?)

Spoiler for spoilers:
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-07, 17:02   Link #31
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Been working my way through this game. It's a South Park first and game second. I don't think you need to be a fan of South Park to enjoy it since it's fairly crude humor that is pretty easy to follow. I haven't followed South Park for ages and i thought most of the stuff were pretty hilarious and having a RPG about kids LARPing using everyday stuff is adorable in it's own way.

As for the game mechanic itself, it's basic in the RPG department with minimal stats to work with. The most enjoyable part was the dialogue, humor and exploration than the combat mechanic. Though the equipment system adds an interesting mechanic by allowing you to customize your weapon and armor with detachable addons.

As for the content itself, this is probably more South Park than the usual tv episodes. Freed from tv broadcasting standard and protocols, the writer went all out on stuff and it's going to offend people in some way or another.
Old 2014-03-08, 05:34   Link #32
hamazura
whatever

just finished this game, fvkin awesome, so many racist lol even anime
and the final scene
Old 2014-03-08, 16:32   Link #33
zibi88

The more we get to the ending that changes so fast XD one trouble after another... we kinda get to feel like another SP episode more and more.... the game is awsome on the humor part XD

I laughed when I arrived to Canada XD (my past memories of 8-16bits games as FF came back to me) but all those cut-scens made it more and more like south park episode :P

Still need to find my last 2 chimpokomons as I have 28/30....and how many friends are there in SP ? currently I have 115 but still no achivment of befriend everyone in SP
zibi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 22:58   Link #34
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Just finished it yesterday and here's my spoiler free final thought on it.

TLDR: Great South Park content and presentation but mediocre gameplay, good for a laugh but shallow gameplay depth

South Park: Stick of Truth is a decent game and well worth your money if you don't find it's unique brand of humor off putting. Before folks thought that i'm underrating it by calling it just decent, it's mostly because the enjoyment that i find within it is from the humor and premise itself and less so from the RPG that's been built around it.

Stick of Truth is very much driven by it's story and remain true to it's source material down to fine details such as the wobbling walk animation that South Park uses. If you are unfamiliar with South Park, it's a lot of crude humor and social commentary that relies on shock value to deliver it's punchline. For the fans of South Park, this is a must see because this game is probably more South Park than the tv episodes and movie is and revels in it instead of just relying on obvious fanservice reference to the past.

It's very much an interactive episode of South Park though the amount of key events that you have influence over is minimal. The game is laid out in a fairly linear fashion to show you it's gag and punchline so don't expect any huge branching moments that you would expect from a RPG. The RPG mechanic is very basic so folks who are not into the usual stat heavy RPG tropes would not feel bogged down by it. However the RPG fans would probably be a bit disappointed because despite the barebone RPG element to it, there's a glitter of ingenuity within the equipment customization that allows a lot of fun and flexibility in experimentation. I've spent a lot of time customizing my weapon and armor with weapon strap-on and armor patches to find the optimal setup for my character. It's a pity that the game only allows one companion NPC in battle and the classes only had 5 abilities with a linear upgrade tree. I think the game would have been a fantastic RPG if I could have more people in my battle party and some branching upgrade within your class abilities.

However the biggest flaw i find within the gameplay is really the QTE mechanic that is prevalent throughout the gameplay. Hitting buttons in time to block enemies attack, playing rhythm game to activate your abilities might spice up the gameplay early on but it quickly becomes a hassle to execute. While there's variety to it, I think the game would have been better off without it in the long run.

The dungeon level itself are fairly linear but well constructed with different tileset design and options that allow you skip combat by interacting with enviromental object with your abilities to defeat or bypass the enemies on screen. Defeated enemies via this method not only yields XP but also loot as well so you can play through most of the game like a point and click adventure game.

Replay value for the game though is pretty low as there isn't a lot of choices to make within the story. Character interaction is also linear so there's no branching dialogue to experience. Outside of trying a different class to see the silly spell which is very elaborately animated and a lot of fun to watch, you probably won't find much to keep yourself engaged enough to go through the game again.

Overall, there's a lot of fun to be had from the jokes and comedy. Gameplay itself lack depths but excels in presentation. If you aren't offended by South Park, there's enough to it to warrant your time and money.
Old 2014-03-25, 03:56   Link #35
Xenobane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Just finished it yesterday and here's my spoiler free final thought on it.

TLDR: Great South Park content and presentation but mediocre gameplay, good for a laugh but shallow gameplay depth

South Park: Stick of Truth is a decent game and well worth your money if you don't find it's unique brand of humor off putting. Before folks thought that i'm underrating it by calling it just decent, it's mostly because the enjoyment that i find within it is from the humor and premise itself and less so from the RPG that's been built around it.

Stick of Truth is very much driven by it's story and remain true to it's source material down to fine details such as the wobbling walk animation that South Park uses. If you are unfamiliar with South Park, it's a lot of crude humor and social commentary that relies on shock value to deliver it's punchline. For the fans of South Park, this is a must see because this game is probably more South Park than the tv episodes and movie is and revels in it instead of just relying on obvious fanservice reference to the past.

It's very much an interactive episode of South Park though the amount of key events that you have influence over is minimal. The game is laid out in a fairly linear fashion to show you it's gag and punchline so don't expect any huge branching moments that you would expect from a RPG. The RPG mechanic is very basic so folks who are not into the usual stat heavy RPG tropes would not feel bogged down by it. However the RPG fans would probably be a bit disappointed because despite the barebone RPG element to it, there's a glitter of ingenuity within the equipment customization that allows a lot of fun and flexibility in experimentation. I've spent a lot of time customizing my weapon and armor with weapon strap-on and armor patches to find the optimal setup for my character. It's a pity that the game only allows one companion NPC in battle and the classes only had 5 abilities with a linear upgrade tree. I think the game would have been a fantastic RPG if I could have more people in my battle party and some branching upgrade within your class abilities.

However the biggest flaw i find within the gameplay is really the QTE mechanic that is prevalent throughout the gameplay. Hitting buttons in time to block enemies attack, playing rhythm game to activate your abilities might spice up the gameplay early on but it quickly becomes a hassle to execute. While there's variety to it, I think the game would have been better off without it in the long run.

The dungeon level itself are fairly linear but well constructed with different tileset design and options that allow you skip combat by interacting with enviromental object with your abilities to defeat or bypass the enemies on screen. Defeated enemies via this method not only yields XP but also loot as well so you can play through most of the game like a point and click adventure game.

Replay value for the game though is pretty low as there isn't a lot of choices to make within the story. Character interaction is also linear so there's no branching dialogue to experience. Outside of trying a different class to see the silly spell which is very elaborately animated and a lot of fun to watch, you probably won't find much to keep yourself engaged enough to go through the game again.

Overall, there's a lot of fun to be had from the jokes and comedy. Gameplay itself lack depths but excels in presentation. If you aren't offended by South Park, there's enough to it to warrant your time and money.
Thanks for this. I love the show and all, but I prefer my games to be more engaging on the gameplay side - I'll wait until this one goes on sale then, since I'm still interested in playing it, just not in spending that much on a game just for its humour factor
Xenobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-25, 04:39   Link #36
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak3mi View Post
Good review by him, I don't understand why people would pick this game up if they aren't fans of south park. A lot of reviewers keep on pointing it out, I thought it was obvious that you wont like the game if you don't like the show.
Watched his review and bought the game then.

Damn I am looking forward to playing it now.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-27, 02:54   Link #37
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Just got the game. I got the Region.1 version so there will be no cuts or edits of the anal probing and abortion. The best RPG and cartoon game ever made imho. I watch south park before and all I can say it's true to the series and artwork and graphics, the rpg mechanics are outstanding and the gameplay is awesome.

Not really a south park fan, but I'd give this game 10/10.
Old 2014-03-27, 07:13   Link #38
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Loved it, made me want to go back in time and play the South Park Mario Partyish game.

Tags
comedy, rpg