AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-01-28, 07:08   Link #1081
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-02-11, 05:59   Link #1082
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

That dance was hilarious.
Old 2014-02-17, 05:08   Link #1083
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

New Trailer.

YouTube
Old 2014-03-10, 06:12   Link #1084
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Old 2014-03-26, 06:23   Link #1085
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

A recap of the 1st 3 seasons under 9 minutes.
YouTube
Old 2014-04-07, 12:24   Link #1086
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Just so watch episode 1 of season 4.
It's mostly about relationships between people.
Old 2014-04-07, 13:00   Link #1087
GDB

Good episode though. Arya finally doing something.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 15:15   Link #1088
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

mmm... good start, can't wait to see more!
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-07, 17:25   Link #1089
Destined_Fate

I wonder what path they'll take Gendry this season. He's diverging quite a bit from the books now and is being established as a much more important character.

Arya is supposed to be taking a darker turn this time, so I don't believe she'll meet Gendry again this season. Especially since they've planned 7 seasons. So if they had a reunion it would be held off to Season 6 or 7, I say.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 10:17   Link #1090
Owlman

Wow, I didn't think Geoffrey would be such an asshole to Jaime. The poor guy just can't get a break; both Cersei and Geoffrey are actually mad at him for being captured and held captive. I thought Geoffrey would actually treat Jaime well since he was so popular and he was everyone's favorite in the family(Tywin, Cersei Tyrion). ...And I'm pretty disappointed that we've been given references to how great a swordsman he was, but we'll never get to really see it now.
Owlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 10:34   Link #1091
Artful Dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
...And I'm pretty disappointed that we've been given references to how great a swordsman he was, but we'll never get to really see it now.
I didn't read the books, but from what I've seen on the show, he just seems like a good swordsman nothing so exceptional. He had a pretty even fight with Ned Stark (who I dont remember being described as a "great swordsman" on the show), and was thoroughly beaten by Brienne pretty easily on the bridge.

Maybe the stories about him are an exaggeration; remember Geoffrey getting injured by Arya's wolf? Cersei made up some bullshit story about how he "courageously" tried to save the girls from the wolf and was injured lol. So yeah, the stories about him being a great swordsman may very well be an exaggeration.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 10:51   Link #1092
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlman View Post
Wow, I didn't think Geoffrey would be such an asshole to Jaime. The poor guy just can't get a break; both Cersei and Geoffrey are actually mad at him for being captured and held captive. I thought Geoffrey would actually treat Jaime well since he was so popular and he was everyone's favorite in the family(Tywin, Cersei Tyrion). ...And I'm pretty disappointed that we've been given references to how great a swordsman he was, but we'll never get to really see it now.
Joffrey, not Geoffrey. And of course he'd be an asshole, Jaime isn't him, therefore, he will be an asshole to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
I didn't read the books, but from what I've seen on the show, he just seems like a good swordsman nothing so exceptional. He had a pretty even fight with Ned Stark (who I dont remember being described as a "great swordsman" on the show), and was thoroughly beaten by Brienne pretty easily on the bridge.
Pretty sure Ned was considered a great swordsman. He was one of the frontline warriors in the war, after all.
Old 2014-04-08, 11:02   Link #1093
Artful Dodger

Ill take your word for it GDB; I'm new to GoT and I only have watched the show lol. If this is the case then, I'd agree and say its pretty disappointing that we never got to see much of his great sword fighting, but perhaps, as he said in the episode, "There's still time"!
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 11:11   Link #1094
GDB

I think it's more that we were only shown the fights where he had to fight and be seen for the story, which was pretty much just against Ned. His later fights were after he had been captured for many months, and his muscles likely atrophied, which could explain his poor showing. This being due to, you know, his actor not being a master swordsman in real life. And even if he were, Ned's actor would also have to be a master in order to truly showcase their skills, otherwise it'd be completely one sided.
Old 2014-04-08, 11:15   Link #1095
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Probably the best part of the episode.

NSFW
Warning: Not safe to view at work or school!
Old 2014-04-08, 14:51   Link #1096
james0246

I think there is some confusion as to what makes a great swordsman (at least within the television series, though there isn't much detail in the book series either). A good swordsman is one that is still alive after a fight, a great swordsmen is one that is still alive after several years of fighting. The Hound is a great swordsman, and as we saw in the most recent episode, he spent more time on his back kicking his opponents than he did swinging a sword. This is not an anime, Wheel of Time (with its countless sword techniques all with silly names), or some Samurai film were everyone wields their blades like they are extensions of their body, mind and soul; this is wrestling with pointy sticks. To be great really only requires you to stay alive long enough that no one wants to kill you in a duel any longer.

Jaime is most probably known as a great swordsmen entirely due to his participation and wins in tourneys and other competitions that generally did not end in death.

Last edited by james0246; 2014-04-08 at 15:17.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-08, 15:04   Link #1097
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

I think Ned was more of a tactician on the battlefield who when rarely forced to fight did show some solid skills. Jaime was a flashy tourney swordsman in his youth (his skills at 16 were enough to gain the attention of the Mad King, this got him on the Kingsguard in an era where it was packed with legendary knights) who also showed some skill during a war of rebellion which I can't remember the name of when he was still in his teens.

I think Ned's brother Brandon was considered a much more skilled swordsman.

Spoiler for One of Ned's past exploits that the show may or may not bring up.:
Old 2014-04-08, 21:26   Link #1098
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
I might be remembering incorrectly, but wasn't that fight on the bridge pretty much a stalemate, with Jaimie's hands tied together, not wearing any armor, and probably in pretty bad condition due to being in captivity for some time? I just got the impression from that fight that if he were at his best, he'd have won, but also that Brienne is still an exceptional warrior for being able to go toe to toe with him, even if he was handicapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I think there is some confusion as to what makes a great swordsman (at least within the television series, though there isn't much detail in the book series either). A good swordsman is one that is still alive after a fight, a great swordsmen is one that is still alive after several years of fighting. The Hound is a great swordsman, and as we saw in the most recent episode, he spent more time on his back kicking his opponents than he did swinging a sword. This is not an anime, Wheel of Time (with its countless sword techniques all with silly names), or some Samurai film were everyone wields their blades like they are extensions of their body, mind and soul; this is wrestling with pointy sticks. To be great really only requires you to stay alive long enough that no one wants to kill you in a duel any longer.

Jaime is most probably known as a great swordsmen entirely due to his participation and wins in tourneys and other competitions that generally did not end in death.
What you say is true, but the Hound is physically very strong, so I feel like his fighting style is necessarily going to be different from someone with a more finesse/speed approach (if everyone fought like him, bigger and stronger -assuming some minimum degree of fighting competence- will win every time. Different strokes of the sword for different folks).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 00:24   Link #1099
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Jaime was considered a great swordsman for more than just staying alive - he was genuinely said to have among the best skills of anyone in Westeros, and proved it both in tournaments and warfare.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 11:30   Link #1100
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
I think it's more that we were only shown the fights where he had to fight and be seen for the story, which was pretty much just against Ned. His later fights were after he had been captured for many months, and his muscles likely atrophied, which could explain his poor showing. This being due to, you know, his actor not being a master swordsman in real life. And even if he were, Ned's actor would also have to be a master in order to truly showcase their skills, otherwise it'd be completely one sided.
To be fair to Sean and Nikolaj, the actor's skills is half the thing. We'd need a master fight choregrapher to show the other half.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones, hbo