AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-04-10, 20:43   Link #1841
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Thanks, although I can't read it, the visuals I can almost more or less understand. lol BTW I noticed Index has yet to fix her Habit. those pins get in the way sometimes. (airports/metal detectors, ect.) But just as well there was a time where they were useful.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2014-04-10, 21:44   Link #1842
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by marconii2002 View Post
So for now you can forget about third season http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-23136.html
From the gist of it, yaraon writer basically says what dniv said. Don't give up: Fiscal Year ended March 31, still more announcements in 10th anniversary.
Old 2014-04-17, 14:18   Link #1843
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

They're just dicking around with us. The new season will be the last announcement, probably. Did anybody catch the Atlus stream when Persona 5 was announced? This reeks of that. Long and drawn out in order to drive the fans crazy and build hype. It's marketing 101.
Old 2014-05-07, 22:54   Link #1844
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX View Post
the WWIII like a movie of 3 parts would at least ensure good animation, something that hardly had in Index II.
Index II was produced during a terrible period at the studio, which began in 2010 and continued through 2011.

The Index movie and Railgun S were produced at just the right time, with the dust having finally settled. Nevertheless, the industry is so unstable these days, so there's really no guarantee of anything. Things seem fine now, but if another rupture were to occur......
Old 2014-05-10, 11:39   Link #1845
zerozeronine

They might want both the NT and the Railgun manga to get further since Index 3 will probably cover vol's 14-19 in 2 cours,Index 4 probably cover's vol's 20-22 in 1 cour followed by the 3rd season of Railgun,after that there is currently only 10 vol's of NT to animate (probably will get to vol's 12-14 by the time they will start to animate NT) and that can be divided in only 3 cours.I just wish that either Bones,8-Bit,Silverlight or Madhouse to be the studios to continue the Raildex franchise,never have been a fan of JC staff.
Old 2014-05-10, 12:48   Link #1846
TJR

Nowadays, Silver Link is essentially J.C. Staff from 4-5 years ago (maybe like 1/3 original Silver Link, 2/3 old J.C. Staff). See Strike the Blood as an example of how they handled a two-cours Index-style series. It isn't bad, but they aren't quite there yet.

The Railgun S/Witch Craft Works/Wixoss production crew (IMO, they've produced some of the strongest and most consistent work at J.C.) would probably do a great job on Index, if they stick around and are assigned to it.
Old 2014-05-10, 19:30   Link #1847
Miraluka
Banned

Railgun S' staff when it comes to adaptation only, when they do original stuff they are quite poor at work.
Witch Craft W. was solid so I agree.
Wixoss's staff, nope unles you mean again abou adaptation, their over the top angst and melodrama overshadows the main purpose the series had.
Old 2014-05-10, 23:26   Link #1848
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
Nowadays, Silver Link is essentially J.C. Staff from 4-5 years ago (maybe like 1/3 original Silver Link, 2/3 old J.C. Staff). See Strike the Blood as an example of how they handled a two-cours Index-style series. It isn't bad, but they aren't quite there yet.
To be fair to Silver Link, everything I personally hated about Strike the Blood had everything to do with the content written by the author and, at most, 2% to do with the pacing and cuts they used to animate it.
Old 2014-05-11, 01:05   Link #1849
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I just figure it's the nature of these "Chunnibyouish" settings that always have a problem translating into Anime, whether it's Narrative from texts or Animation (lots of flashy stuff but none of the budgets from bigger shounen titles).
Old 2014-05-11, 02:25   Link #1850
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:

The Railgun S/Witch Craft Works/Wixoss production crew (IMO, they've produced some of the strongest and most consistent work at J.C.) would probably do a great job on Index, if they stick around and are assigned to it.
I didn't really like witch craft works but to be fair that was just because of how the mcs looked... The animation was pretty good actually though. I heard wixoss though is suffering from some terrible animation so I'm confused as to why that'd be good. (Take note: I'm in japan so I can't watch wixoss right now to verify said rumors lol. So if it has gotten better in the last week or so I wouldn't know.)

All I know is that railgun s was pretty fantastic when it wasn't original. The movie animation was fantastic but the story was kind of badly paced... Or done... And index anime has always been great but nowhere near as good as the LN's. Who's doing attack on Titan? I'd like to see that level or quality of music and animation in Index. Heck the Sao animation and music were also great. While the violence and added fan service could be annoying, i want a more reliable index adaptation...
Old 2014-05-11, 10:14   Link #1851
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I just figure it's the nature of these "Chunnibyouish" settings that always have a problem translating into Anime, whether it's Narrative from texts or Animation (lots of flashy stuff but none of the budgets from bigger shounen titles).
That's what I've always thought, too. No matter what and going from Light Novel to anime.

Also, no to Madhouse Mahouka staff. Mahouka has been disappointing.
Old 2014-05-11, 15:57   Link #1852
TJR

By production, I'm referring to a team's ability to staff and coordinate animation work. Screenplay quality is out of their hands and would be the same even if another team were tasked with bringing the scripts to life.

The Railgun S group works so well because:

a) They have a regular rotation of excellent storyboarders and episode directors, plus they occasionally invite a famous guest (Keiji Gotoh, Goro Taniguchi, Atsushi Nishikori, Kiyoko Sayama, etc.). The regulars are regrouped for each succeeding project.

b) They have a regular rotation of supervising animators. Where possible, they alternate between a highly creative talent (Hiroshi Tomioka) and an experienced, speedy workhorse. IMO, the art can be unstable at times, but there's no lack of interesting motion throughout a series.

c) Production work is mostly in-house, although this arrangement may possibly be secured at the expense of other J.C. projects. Every episode of Ano Natsu de Matteru, Joshiraku, and Witch Craft Works was produced in-house (the same goes for Wixoss so far); Railgun S was all in-house except for three episodes during the first half.

d) They're becoming known for their eagerness to rally around the director during difficult times. We've heard good feedback from Atsuko Ishizuka and Tsutomu Mizushima (who remarked that he has become the master of procrastination and last minute work, yet the crew would always save the day. They also averted some kind of crisis toward the end of Joshiraku).

The Little Busters vs Sakurasou debate can more or less be settled now. J.C. Staff assigned LB to their most senior line producer (as expected for such a high profile project), but it's the junior upstart who's delivering the most impressive work and consolidating the best people under him. In light of their Railgun experience, they'd be great choice for Index, provided that they can get along well with Hiroshi Nishikiori.
Old 2014-05-11, 16:01   Link #1853
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Is Nishikiori hard to work with? or is that on a case by case basis for any director?
Old 2014-05-11, 16:45   Link #1854
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACertainStark View Post
Is Nishikiori hard to work with?
Can't say for sure. Nishikiori admits to being demanding in terms of quality (i.e. backgrounds, CG) and once complained that the freelance animators on Index were unreliable. However, disgruntled freelancers say that he's bad at project and staff management, which forces people to rush and subsequently take the blame for poor quality.

Hearsay also suggests that Nishikiori pushed the J.C. production staff too hard, leading to a mass walkout during and after Index II. However, it's unproven speculation. J.C. is a rigorous place to work with few opportunities for advancement. Since Silver Link and Aniplex/A-1 wanted to expand fast (and J.C. had recently promoted their team leaders to the position of producer, giving them industry clout), a major split was bound to happen.

Quote:
or is that on a case by case basis for any director?
Some directors are well liked. Former Index/Railgun producer Shinichiro Kashiwada mentioned that Tatsuyuki Nagai was great to work with even when things were tough.

Others are notorious for being difficult. An example would be Kunihiko Ikuhara, the director of Utena and Penguindrum.
Old 2014-05-11, 17:01   Link #1855
Chosen_Hero

Get Bones to do season 3 and give them enough cours to finish OT. Can you imagine if this were to happen?
Old 2014-05-11, 17:42   Link #1856
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Can't say for sure. Nishikiori admits to being demanding in terms of quality (i.e. backgrounds, CG) and once complained that the freelance animators on Index were unreliable. However, disgruntled freelancers say that he's bad at project and staff management, which forces people to rush and subsequently take the blame for poor quality.

Hearsay also suggests that Nishikiori pushed the J.C. production staff too hard, leading to a mass walkout during and after Index II. However, it's unproven speculation. J.C. is a rigorous place to work with few opportunities for advancement. Since Silver Link and Aniplex/A-1 wanted to expand fast (and J.C. had recently promoted their team leaders to the position of producer, giving them industry clout), a major split was bound to happen.

Some directors are well liked. Former Index/Railgun producer Shinichiro Kashiwada mentioned that Tatsuyuki Nagai was great to work with even when things were tough.

Others are notorious for being difficult. An example would be Kunihiko Ikuhara, the director of Utena and Penguindrum.
Thanks for the insight. That's really interesting.

Of course, as you say, speculation is speculation. The movie seemed to turn out fine in production and I'm of the opinion on a directional level, as well. Was that because of a change in staff or behind-the-scenes improvement?
Old 2014-05-11, 20:23   Link #1857
TJR

Quote:
Was that because of a change in staff or behind-the-scenes improvement?
Yeah, conditions behind the scenes had stabilized by then. On Index II, the production chain was breaking down (and it was a chain that delivered J.C.'s output for the better part of a decade, so the impact was huge), so it was the difference between a well mobilized staff and a demoralized crew that could barely keep things together.
Old 2014-05-11, 20:53   Link #1858
GDB

Wasn't something supposed to be potentially announced sometime this weekend?
Old 2014-05-11, 22:48   Link #1859
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wasn't something supposed to be potentially announced sometime this weekend?
I'm going to try to put this nicely as possible... the "announcement" for this month was on May 9th was just an update on staff comments from the anime side this time.

And then at the very end they said: "We have 1 announcement of the 10 projects for... next month!!"

is what I believe this says (I could be wrong):
"来月は、10大コンテンツがまたひとつ、オープンしますので、お楽しみに!"

Yeah.

Quote:
Yeah, conditions behind the scenes had stabilized by then. On Index II, the production chain was breaking down (and it was a chain that delivered J.C.'s output for the better part of a decade, so the impact was huge), so it was the difference between a well mobilized staff and a demoralized crew that could barely keep things together.
Thanks. I'm glad to see improvement in the management when looking back compared to Index II now that I know more about what happens behind-the-scenes.
Old 2014-05-11, 22:58   Link #1860
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
I'm going to try to put this nicely as possible... the "announcement" for this month was on May 9th was just an update on staff comments from the anime side this time.

And then at the very end they said: "We have 1 announcement of the 10 projects for... next month!!"

is what I believe this says (I could be wrong):
"来月は、10大コンテンツがまたひとつ、オープンしますので、お楽しみに!"

Yeah.

Thanks. I'm glad to see improvement in the management when looking back compared to Index II now that I know more about what happens behind-the-scenes.
So an announcement... gor an announcement? Seems legit. They really love to troll the fanbase.

Tags
fantasy, science fiction, shounen