AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2014-05-21, 12:36   Link #341
Pat123

This is certainly annoying and possibly dangerous. I appreciate the moderators and staff's efforts to fix this. It is certainly much more work than they were planning to do this month.

Most users have randomly-assigned IP addresses that is changed with each new start-up. This allows an IP to re-use the same addresses. Unless you intentionally set your connection so that a specific IP address is used, you may want to see if yours is non-random. This can be a sign your computer has been targeted. Your IP provider can help you check this and, if necessary, restore the random IP feature.

A simple trick one IP person told me was to set up a non-admin user on your computer and use it when surfing the web. A limited user is not able to install software, so if malware tries to latch on to you, it can't get a hold. At least, that is the theory. Of course, keep your anti-virus and anti-malware software going, too. You will have to use the admin user name when updating software, but then you'd be visiting trusted sites.

And, join with me in wishing all people who make this malware and virus software catch a painful incurable rash in an embarrassing location. ^_^
Pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 15:01   Link #342
sneaker

As others have said before: IP addresses are worthless. If you torrent all the other peers see your IP. Every website you visit can see your IP. If I post a picture in this forum hosted on my server I will have your IP. It's not really much to worry about.

If you run Windows Vista or later most programs run with user rights because of the UAC anyways, but the use is very limited since most interesting stuff (personal documents, keylogging) happens in user space.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 18:50   Link #343
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

There's always Linux ....
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 19:28   Link #344
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
There's always Linux ....
Indeed there is*

Really though, we could implement all the security you can imagine but what in these cases would be the number one thing that could help you avoid further trouble (beyond the site hacked in question) is never reuse your passwords and to make sure your passwords are fully random & not easily guessable. Password manages can help with that.

*) This news report is ~1 year old for those worried it being a new thing
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 19:53   Link #345
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Thanks for sharing that - Ebay password changed...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-21, 20:28   Link #346
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Darn ... I prefer Mint.

With Cinnamon preferably....
Old 2014-05-22, 02:02   Link #347
Meomix
Disabled By Request

I had to register a new account because as far as i'm concerned i was never going to get my old account back, email address recovery failed spectacularly.
Meomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 03:47   Link #348
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

This is three times in a row now that I've had to reset my password. I haven't been keeping up with this thread since the first time we were hacked. Are there still security issues on this site?
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 04:38   Link #349
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meomix View Post
I had to register a new account because as far as i'm concerned i was never going to get my old account back, email address recovery failed spectacularly.
Contact an admin if you can't access your old account. Duplicate accounts are a bannable offense since the most common reason for creating another account is to circumvent an existing ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
Are there still security issues on this site?
The security issues were taken care of.
Old 2014-05-22, 06:06   Link #350
sneaker

Quote:
Linux distributions have the same root(=admin)/user problem as Windows: you can't change the system files as a simple user and that's about it.

Old 2014-05-22, 06:46   Link #351
Meomix
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Contact an admin if you can't access your old account. Duplicate accounts are a bannable offense since the most common reason for creating another account is to circumvent an existing ban.

The security issues were taken care of.
Looks like you guys replied to the wrong account =_= i'll resend a request again.
Meomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 07:39   Link #352
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
I mentioned that event earlier. That hack also exploited a disused administrative login on a vBulletin site.

As for the notion that having your laptop stolen means losing private files, well of course it does. That's not the issue being discussed here, though. People were talking about malware infestations happening while using their own computers.

I've used Linux for nearly two decades now without any sort of antivirus or other types of protection. I've encountered malware exactly once, when the New York Times site was exploited to distribute the "Antivirus 2010" scam. That used Javascript and did not touch the machine's internals at all.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-22, 08:45   Link #353
sneaker

Quote:
As for the notion that having your laptop stolen means losing private files, well of course it does. That's not the issue being discussed here, though. People were talking about malware infestations happening while using their own computers.
That's also what I'm talking about. Typical malware does not need admin/root rights to do its work. User rights are perfectly sufficient to access/delete/encrypt all your private data(documents, videos, mails), monitor your activities (log passwords and browser history) and use your mic and webcam.
Old 2014-05-23, 08:54   Link #354
Reverzer0
Sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefteris_D View Post
Yeah, the news hit just today and considering most ebay users have the same password in their paypal (many people make paypal accounts to buy from ebay) you may want to be careful!

And no, paypal is save, only ebay got hacked.
Sorry for the hackers, i don't have an account in ebay & btw, this is only the site i member with the issue of being hacked.
Old 2014-05-24, 10:26   Link #355
Liddo-kun
is this so?

I've just noticed..

Some people that I've recently befriended have been removed from my friends list. And some of the visitor message that I've posted on other's profiles (before the hack) has been removed. Maybe it's because Animesuki got "restored from backups? I guess the unfriending is a minor thing (simply sent friend requests again). Just want to let the mods know that it happened.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-24, 10:39   Link #356
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
I've just noticed..

Some people that I've recently befriended have been removed from my friends list. And some of the visitor message that I've posted on other's profiles (before the hack) has been removed. Maybe it's because Animesuki got "restored from backups? I guess the unfriending is a minor thing (simply sent friend requests again). Just want to let the mods know that it happened.
Pms, vms, friendships, albums etc. got rolled back to April 28th. Any activity after that day (aside from posts) has been lost. So yes, unfortunately it's normal.
Old 2014-05-24, 17:27   Link #357
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

It pisses me off when it happens. Attacking forums for no reason. I wanna kill those bastards.
Old 2014-05-24, 22:21   Link #358
TheLuigi755

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiss13 View Post
Is there anything the hacker can probably do with the IP Addresses of the users? That's the one thing I'm worried about here...
Those worries should be eliminated with ZenMate and LastPass (you can get it for Chrome, ZenMate masks your real IP address, LastPass basically adds further encryption to your passwords and can also remember them). I first used ZenMate to get around geo-blocks, but now with this bullshit happening, I expect to use it on a daily basis.
TheLuigi755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 03:08   Link #359
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuigi755 View Post
Those worries should be eliminated with ZenMate and LastPass (you can get it for Chrome, ZenMate masks your real IP address, LastPass basically adds further encryption to your passwords and can also remember them). I first used ZenMate to get around geo-blocks, but now with this bullshit happening, I expect to use it on a daily basis.
I've thought about using ZenMate (as an American living in Japan the appeal is obvious enough) but a lot of the more recent reviews seem to indicate that it's dramatically slowing the browsing experience, so I'm a little leery.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 17:30   Link #360
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Oh, so all my PMs since then are gone? Pity, I never read them.

Not that I read them anyways. just saying

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote