AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > No Game No Life

Notices

View Poll Results: No Game No Life - Episode 8 Rating
Perfect 10 48 55.17%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 27.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 10 11.49%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.45%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.15%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-31, 04:09   Link #141
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomxd View Post
Sorry, but from the novel
Quote:
A black eyed, black bob hair, has long and large fox-like ears and tail, coupled with a big ribbon tied around the waist of a kimono—— no matter how you looked at it, the little girl was probably at a single-digit age.
She's a werefox xD
The line in the original Japanese in the LN mentions the Fennec, which is a type of fox.

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2014-05-31 at 04:11. Reason: Forgot what thread I was in...
Old 2014-05-31, 04:59   Link #142
R.LocK
My turn

Well now, since I remembered it.

In a throne room, when Sora checks the date, it's 19th. After the ED, Shiro's phone shows it's 21th. Just throwing a 「hint」 left by Madhouse.
Old 2014-05-31, 13:18   Link #143
Craxuan
Crax
*Author

That was a really creative way of utilizing the ED, though I personally wish it'd be distorted all the way where Sora was supposed to be present. I've heard certain improvisations that could make the happiest music sound like the spookiest shit in the planet.
Old 2014-05-31, 21:25   Link #144
ShiroiRyu

Anyways, what part of the opening we have to see a hint here ?
On the ending, it's pretty creepy and easy to read ... but on the opening ?
Old 2014-05-31, 22:15   Link #145
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
Anyways, what part of the opening we have to see a hint here ?
On the ending, it's pretty creepy and easy to read ... but on the opening ?
I do recall a scene in the opening of Shiro, alone and with the crown on, having a screaming fit...
Old 2014-06-01, 02:57   Link #146
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

It's on the two lines just before the chorus.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-06-01, 03:22   Link #147
elior

the screenshots for the next episode make it looks like it going to be very weird episode
Old 2014-06-01, 07:44   Link #148
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany View Post
That also could explain why. I can't find any info on the script writer on ANN, but Atsuko ISHIZUKA himself wasn't involved in Yume Tsukai's anime adaptation which was really horrifying.
Huh. I actually liked Yume Tsukai. I thought it captured the essence of the manga rather well. Then again I also liked the Umineko anime, so....maybe I have bad taste or something. I'm bummed it (the anime) will never finish, actually.

This episode was, once again, wonderful. There's a level of consistency displayed here that is a benchmark the industry should strive for, at the very least in terms of storytelling.

The worst part of episodes like this is they set so you up so much that you really want to see how it works out in the next episode(s).....but you have to wait. Waiting sucks!
Old 2014-06-01, 08:58   Link #149
xland44
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL99 View Post
Hello guys i was watching No Game No Life some time ago and i noticed something about Izuna Hatsune's way of speech, she says desu at the end of her sentances, yes? Now i'm sure none of you know but i think they got it from another anime character wich her name is Dlanor A. Knox. She is from the visual novel Umineko no naku koro ni which translates as when the seagulls cry. Now try searching on youtube whenever you have some free time, and if you want to, and tell me if i'm right . This is my first comment so please be nice with me
She's definitely not the only character to end sentences with desu.... Also, they made that VN an anime not too long ago, called "When they cry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
It just struck me........ wouldn't it be more beneficial to lose your race piece? If you're no longer bound by the laws of Tet, that means you can kill and stuff.... Given human ingenuity in the arts of war and weaponry... That might actually be a boon.
If Imanity had the technology of our modern-day humans, yes. However, Imanity is practically as powerful as a much of cavemen fighting 15 other tanks: All of the other races have magic. Imanity has the worst technology out of all the races. They don't have any special abilities. They would be wiped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Did you miss the point brought up last episode that no one knows how humans survived back then? Jibril even said it was because none of the top races cared about a weak race like that. I mean you have the Flugel that can like previously mentioned, tank hydrogen bombs, teleport, fight dragons and even gods. There's no way humanity could fight against them and the Flugel would love to stretch their might after 6000 years of being forced not to.
The main reason the humans survived is because it was an all-out war between all of the races. If a giant was running after you, you wouldn't suddenly stop to stomp an ant that was in front of you, now would you?
HOWEVER, if the humans were the only race not bound by the oaths, they would most likely be wiped out.

Also, I see the word ED a lot in this thread, can anybody tell me the meaning of it?
Old 2014-06-01, 09:01   Link #150
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

ED = Ending theme song/credits, often used to the song played at the end of every episode.
OP (opening) is used for the song played during the start of an episode, sometimes after a short segment.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2014-06-01, 09:12   Link #151
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Hmmm, well considering that the disappearance of a person from everyone's memories constitutes an attack I can only guess that Sora was challenged by someone and lost.

The way he talked to Shiro just before he disappeared seems to indicate that he knew what was going to happen, including his own defeat, and that he was trusting that his sister would recover him later. A sacrifice move? But even if that was so I can't quite understand how that would help them.

As to who challenged him it could be anyone, but Elves are high on my list of suspects. If it is even remotely true that they want to protect Imanity they certainly wouldn't simply watch while a king of some obscure origin and motives threatens to bring them to extinctions, especially if they suspect that there is another faction behind them.

Still, Sora's gamble really left the warbeasts with no choice but to accept? I don't see for them many advantages from winning. They would get the last piece of human's territory but that ain't that much, and the fact that they would completely wipe from the (dis)board one of the 16 players could have serious repercussions from a political standpoint.

Since the move is clearly insane from everyone's perspective they could simple announce: "This new Imanity king is crazy and we refuse to accept a challenge from such lunatic ruler with not consideration for its people".
This would serve the purpose to discredit Sora in the eye of everyone else: "He's crazy, why would you believe the word of a madman?"

Old 2014-06-01, 09:17   Link #152
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Since the move is clearly insane from everyone's perspective they could simple announce: "This new Imanity king is crazy and we refuse to accept a challenge from such lunatic ruler with not consideration for its people".
This would serve the purpose to discredit Sora in the eye of everyone else: "He's crazy, why would you believe the word of a madman?"
Considering the Werebeast's pride as the third largest and most powerful nation in Disboard though, them refusing the challenge of the weakest race in the world will not really make anyone look favorably on them. It reeks way too much of weakness for them to do so. And of course, why do they have any reason to believe that they'll lose to Imanity anyway? They still hold the advantage as far as they're concerned.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
Old 2014-06-01, 09:26   Link #153
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Blank never loses. The only person a member of [] is allowed to lose against is the other member of [] (at least that is how I understood it).

Would Sora really lose on purpose? I cannot remember any of them even losing one against someone besides each other until now. Also he said something about "Blank wins before the game even starts", so I don't see how he could lose unless he somehow played against an overpowering enemy who he didn't expect or something like that... unless of course Sora really is just an imaginative brother of Shirou.
Old 2014-06-01, 09:26   Link #154
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Considering the Werebeast's pride as the third largest and most powerful nation in Disboard though, them refusing the challenge of the weakest race in the world will not really make anyone look favorably on them. It reeks way too much of weakness for them to do so. And of course, why do they have any reason to believe that they'll lose to Imanity anyway? They still hold the advantage as far as they're concerned.
My point is that they can make it look like pity rather than weakness. We know that at least one race, the Elves (which are among the strongest), have that kind of sentiment.
Destroying the weakest race in the world sounds more like cruelty than strength in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xland44 View Post
The main reason the humans survived is because it was an all-out war between all of the races. If a giant was running after you, you wouldn't suddenly stop to stomp an ant that was in front of you, now would you?
HOWEVER, if the humans were the only race not bound by the oaths, they would most likely be wiped out.
Is that so? Sora (who studied the history of that world) repeatedly made a point in his speech that Imanity in the past ruled the whole continent.
The way he talked about the past seems to indicate that Imanity used to be one of the strongest factions in the world and not simply one that the other races simply disregarded.

To be honest I think that if Imanity were to lose its race piece they would no longer be protected by the pledges but the other races still would. Which means anyone would be able to attack humans without them being able to retaliate.

Tet would have really made a very poor job in his rewriting the rules of the world if anyone could remove those limitations whenever they wanted with no repercussions whatsoever.

Old 2014-06-01, 09:35   Link #155
watisit

Quote:
Still, Sora's gamble really left the warbeasts with no choice but to accept? I don't see for them many advantages from winning. They would get the last piece of human's territory but that ain't that much, and the fact that they would completely wipe from the (dis)board one of the 16 players could have serious repercussions from a political standpoint.

If they refused the challenge everybody would think "You could get a freaking race piece! You have a game even the elves couldn't beat after 4 tries! And if the Imanity kings are crazy so much the easier! Why didn't you accept? Or are they actually correct and you don't want to risk losing?"

The elves know full well that Sora and Shiro are not outright insane. They have been beaten by the two after all. They would at least listen to them.

If nothing else Jibril could spread it to the rest of the Flugel. Remember how Jibril didn't know about TV? The other Flugel would happily go on the offensive to try and win all the knowledge about technology from the werebeasts. And remember she was on their council of 18 wings. She has considerable influence.

Quote:
To be honest I think that if Imanity were to lose its race piece they would no longer be protected by the pledges but the other races still would. Which means anyone would be able to attack humans without them being able to retaliate.

Tet would have really made a very poor job in his rewriting the rules of the world if anyone could remove those limitations whenever they wanted with no repercussions whatsoever.
That's not quite accurate. The piece would never be "lost" entirely unless the entire species went extinct. But if it was transferred to somebody of another race, that person can command all of Imanity to do whatever he wants. Of course other people can challenge for the piece but he has no reason to accept. And naturally Imanity would be totally exploited and essentially become slaves.

And as to why Imanity dominated the entire continent, that might be covered in vol 6 of the LN (I say might as I haven't read it yet) so nobody can say anything definite about it here.

Last edited by watisit; 2014-06-01 at 09:47.
Old 2014-06-01, 09:45   Link #156
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by watisit View Post
If they refused the challenge everybody would think "You could get a freaking race piece!
Perhaps I'm missing something but what exactly would you gain by obtaining a race piece from another exceed? Is there any use for that except for the race that originally owns it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watisit View Post
Remember how Jibril didn't know about TV? The other Flugel would happily go on the offensive to try and win all the knowledge about technology from the werebeasts. And remember she was on their council of 18 wings. She has considerable influence.
That's a good point, but if it is known that Jibril bet herself they probably wouldn't trust her as she is at this point a tool completely under the control of this new strange king.
They would however not think lightly of a human that defeated a Flugel, they probably think that there's someone very powerful behind him.

Old 2014-06-01, 09:57   Link #157
lolzorz

Quote:
My point is that they can make it look like pity rather than weakness. We know that at least one race, the Elves (which are among the strongest), have that kind of sentiment.
Destroying the weakest race in the world sounds more like cruelty than strength in my opinion.
Well, here's an outline of Sora's gambit.

Remember that not too long ago, Blank defeated Kurami Zell to become Imanity's king. It was apparently quite well known throughout Disboard that Kurami was being backed by the Elves, and her defeat came as quite the shock. Two possibilities were considered: either Blank was being backed by a stronger race, or they defeated Kurami and the elves with their own ability - Disboard being Disboard, they quite naturally assumed the former.

OK, so with the general populace believing that Imanity's King is merely a puppet of some other race (and assuredly quite sane), Blank went on to challenge the Eastern Union, a comparatively far more powerful opponent with better physical attributes and, supposedly, the ability to read minds. They even defeated the elves multiple times, even with their inability to use magic (and we could see from Jibril just how powerful magic can really get). Not to mention that all memories of the Eastern Union's game were erased from all challengers apart from Steph's grandfather.

Sora basically just told them, "Hey, I think we've figured out your game. If you don't accept our challenge, we'll tell everybody just exactly what your game is." Since the Werebeasts have such an overwhelming advantage over Imanity, there is literally no reason to reject Sora as there is no way the Werebeasts would have lost to "mere Imanity". It's basically a free win. Rejecting Sora's challenge would be tantamount to admitting that yes, he had guessed it correctly.

If rejected, and Sora announces the Eastern Union's game to the entire Disboard, the Eastern Union will be quite handicapped, since they can't use the same game to conquer any further territories since all the other races will have an idea of their game and formulate counter strategies. Their memory wipe most probably won't be as effective as before either. They would have to reject all challenges by the other races on the basis that their game would be countered now that the enemy has information on them (If you remember, Sora previously said that information was vital in Disboard, since it can determine the difference between winning and losing).

If, as you say, Hatsune rejects Sora on the basis of pity and calls him deluded, his reasoning probably won't fly with the rest of the races, seeing as they believe Imanity is being backed by another, more powerful race, and they certainly wouldn't be foolish enough to challenge the Eastern Union without any preparation beforehand. They'll probably assume that the Eastern Union rejected the challenge out of a fear of losing, lending further credence to Sora's theory.

That's what I think.
Old 2014-06-01, 09:57   Link #158
xland44
Otaku

Wow. I decided to read the light novels from the point where the events in Episode 8 took part.
I can't wait to see it in the anime ;-;

(To mods: Note that I did not spoil anything...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolzorz View Post
If rejected, and Sora announces the Eastern Union's game to the entire Disboard, the Eastern Union will be quite handicapped, since they can't use the same game to conquer any further territories since all the other races will have an idea of their game and formulate counter strategies. Their memory wipe most probably won't be as effective as before either. They would have to reject all challenges by the other races on the basis that their game would be countered now that the enemy has information on them (If you remember, Sora previously said that information was vital in Disboard, since it can determine the difference between winning and losing).

If, as you say, Hatsune rejects Sora on the basis of pity and calls him deluded, his reasoning probably won't fly with the rest of the races, seeing as they believe Imanity is being backed by another, more powerful race, and they certainly won't be foolish enough to challenge the Eastern Union without any preparation beforehand. They'll probably assume that the Eastern Union rejected the challenge out of a fear of losing, lending further credence to Sora's theory.

That's what I think.
That's actually... a really good explanation. However, looking at Hatsune's age and how she acts, I doubt she would be smart enough to be suspicious of sora to the point that she thinks he's just bluffing.
Old 2014-06-01, 10:03   Link #159
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
If rejected, and Sora announces the Eastern Union's game to the entire Disboard, the Eastern Union will be quite handicapped, since they can't use the same game to conquer any further territories since all the other races will have an idea of their game and formulate counter strategies.
But Sora said the elves eventually figured out what the game was. They just couldn't think of a way to win. Though I suppose he could help, there.
Old 2014-06-01, 10:14   Link #160
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Well, here's an outline of Sora's gambit.

Remember that not too long ago, Blank defeated Kurami Zell to become Imanity's king. It was apparently quite well known throughout Disboard that Kurami was being backed by the Elves, and her defeat came as quite the shock. Two possibilities were considered: either Blank was being backed by a stronger race, or they defeated Kurami and the elves with their own ability - Disboard being Disboard, they quite naturally assumed the former.

OK, so with the general populace believing that Imanity's King is merely a puppet of some other race (and assuredly quite sane), Blank went on to challenge the Eastern Union, a comparatively far more powerful opponent with better physical attributes and, supposedly, the ability to read minds. They even defeated the elves multiple times, even with their inability to use magic (and we could see from Jibril just how powerful magic can really get). Not to mention that all memories of the Eastern Union's game were erased from all challengers apart from Steph's grandfather.

Sora basically just told them, "Hey, I think we've figured out your game. If you don't accept our challenge, we'll tell everybody just exactly what your game is." Since the Werebeasts have such an overwhelming advantage over Imanity, there is literally no reason to reject Sora as there is no way the Werebeasts would have lost to "mere Imanity". It's basically a free win. Rejecting Sora's challenge would be tantamount to admitting that yes, he had guessed it correctly.

If, as you say, Hatsune rejects Sora on the basis of pity and calls him deluded, his reasoning probably won't fly with the rest of the races, seeing as they believe Imanity is being backed by another, more powerful race, and they certainly won't be foolish enough to challenge the Eastern Union without any preparation beforehand. They'll probably assume that the Eastern Union rejected the challenge out of a fear of losing, lending further credence to Sora's theory.

That's what I think.
You make a good point, but then they could change their position from "they are crazy" to "they are psycopaths under control of an unknown powerful race which has no regards for Imanity whatsoever".

It could be pointed out that not only they defeated an elf but a flugel too and one after another. If they refuse everyone will not think that they retreated from mere humans but from deceiving humans backed from an unknown powerful faction. Conversely if they accept, everyone will believe that from the very beginning the "unknown faction" was no other than the warbeasts themselves, which incidentally is the conclusion that Clammy reached.

It is probable that Sora knew that for the warbeasts either choice would be bad for them, whether they accept or not it would still be a problem.

Closed Thread