AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-04-01, 07:44   Link #21
tetsuo69

Quote:
I mean look at the Banner (Crest) of the Stars, a girl as a main character and an excellent story!
i downloaded the whole series and deleted it after seeing 3 to 4 episodes -_-'' what great story that was!! sorry but that was one of the worst series with a female main character. and no i'm not against female as main characters just that Gundam wouldnt be right with a female as main character..i just finish watching Pretear wich was a alright series for a girly one but i just cant stand the girly animes with mechas lol XD
Old 2006-04-01, 07:46   Link #22
maohayato
Evil God

a masked character is not part of gundam. and what the hell has coming of age in common with gundam??? all them kid pilots never come of age, all they get is war trauma and body count.

/me points at Gundam ZZ. it has no masked character.

besides, tuxedo kamen's voice actor is the same as Amuro Rey. where do you think the red white and blue plus v-fin tiara of sailormoon came from.
it looks suspiciously alot like a gundam.

*Sailor Kick!!!*

edit: and don't forget the red boots.

Last edited by maohayato; 2006-04-01 at 07:47. Reason: adding stuff
maohayato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 07:51   Link #23
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

Let´s look at it this way then.

Who´s the most "girly".

Shinn
Kira
Athrun
Cagalli
The Dom pilot (the woman, I forgot her name )

And Banner of the Stars is an excellent, and somewhat underrated, story.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 07:52   Link #24
tetsuo69

ok i accept a female as the main character aslong as shes above 20 Years and acts her age but i know bandai wont get a female as a main character so i'm safe!! lol

Quote:
And Banner of the Stars is an excellent, and somewhat underrated, story. Seeing 3-4 episodes out of over 30? Yeah... I don´t know how much I would rate such an opinion actually...
hey i gave it a try watching 4 boring Episodes!!! some quit at the 2nd epsiode in animes they seem to dont like. atleast i gave it a good try :P
Old 2006-04-01, 08:21   Link #25
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
When I see people say a girl can't be a Gundam main character, I can't help but think it sounds sexist depending on the reasoning. Like Obi-wan's comment that a girl would be emo to the 5th power. How does that figure? It just comes off as very very sexist. Haman was like, not even half the emo of some of the least emo Gundam leads. And as I stated in the best ritten characters thread, the female characters of Jinki: Extend have less emo than Kira for one. And despite it being a different series, it's still the same setting: Teenagers piloting giant robots in a war.
Old 2006-04-01, 08:36   Link #26
Amuro Ray

Three Words: Ecole du Ciel-> Gundam Manga with a girl as the main character.

And i hope the manga gets an Anime-Version, it's too great
Amuro Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 08:41   Link #27
MrNotalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_Hope
Let´s look at it this way then.

Who´s the most "girly".

Shinn
Kira
Athrun
Cagalli
The Dom pilot (the woman, I forgot her name )

And Banner of the Stars is an excellent, and somewhat underrated, story.
I don't know,, but I would have to say Shinn. If there's more people to choose from I might pick someone else but with the current 5 choices,, Shinn is the easy pick for me.

Out of all of them, Shinn is the more emotional, and does lots of things that fit in the " what the heck are you doing,, think women, think" cataglory. He freakin acts like a wineing little bitch, and blames everyone for his own problems.

As for having a Female main character in Gundam? yeah,, sure, why not,, as long as they make it, I'll watch it. I'll decide if it's good or bad laters.. It could be the best Gundam series ever, or worse than Gundam Seed Destiny ( highly unlikey).,, but I wouldn't know until I watch it.
MrNotalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 08:59   Link #28
Knightmare213

By the time I've read few posts in this thread, I'm starting to think that some of y'all are just sexist or don't believe in gender equality or both. (Well being a sexist, you wouldn't believe the second thing I've mentioned.

In other words, if you happened to be a sexist or have an ideal of being a sexist, you do not believe this:

"If a guy can kick ass, girls and kick ass, too."

What I'm trying to say is, that if Sunrise and Bandai hires some people (hopefully not Morosawa) to make a fifty-episode animated series that has a girl as the main character, what kind of girl are we talking about?

Options might be:

1. Lacus-like girls. Perfect in every sense, which might make the series shorten to a thirteen-episode one, IMO.
2. Flay-like girls. Revenge-driven and willing sacrifice her own purity to get her satisfaction.
3. Haman-like girls. A natural leader, able to create her own personal army.
4. All combined (I like to see how this would work).
5. A whole new original girl, that is not girly, not tomboy-ish, or nothing of the above (mainly Lacus).

And don't hate me because I said bad things about Lacus. It's the truth. She's too perfect. That's why I hate her, or just dislike her now. And please try not to argue that Lacus is a natural leader. There was already a thread for that a long time ago and I was sick of that.

So getting back on topic, which one of the above would you want? Personally, I would want to have an all original girl. She can be beautiful or just plainly attractive, has "okay" body, good personality traits, etc.

I think I'll come back and think of a female main character for me to post here.
Knightmare213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 09:01   Link #29
kaito-kid
As I make you stop, think

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNotalk
I don't know,, but I would have to say Shinn. If there's more people to choose from I might pick someone else but with the current 5 choices,, Shinn is the easy pick for me.

Out of all of them, Shinn is the more emotional, and does lots of things that fit in the " what the heck are you doing,, think women, think" cataglory. He freakin acts like a wineing little bitch, and blames everyone for his own problems.

As for having a Female main character in Gundam? yeah,, sure, why not,, as long as they make it, I'll watch it. I'll decide if it's good or bad laters.. It could be the best Gundam series ever, or worse than Gundam Seed Destiny ( highly unlikey).,, but I wouldn't know until I watch it.
I totally agree with you!!!
kaito-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 09:47   Link #30
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Doesn't 0080 have a main female character? We could use that.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 12:09   Link #31
Shinn Yamato
Ultimate Newtype

Send a message via AIM to Shinn Yamato Send a message via Yahoo to Shinn Yamato
Yeah, Chris from 0080 was the main Gundam pilot but the story was more about the little kid Al and the Zeon pilot Bernie than her.
Shinn Yamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 12:30   Link #32
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

well theres no reason a girl cant be a gundam main character

someone mentioned aoi anna, she was great, but also partly because shes fun ecchi and fan service. if you think this doesnt fit gundam, then maybe noriko of gunbuster may be a more suitable type of character for a gundam series.

a girl who lost a family member due to some war, then decides to join the army to fight and protect. she puts in lots of effort and hard work. sounds more interesting and feasible than random dudes who chance upon an incredibly powerful protoype and somehow becomes extremely skilled. not that this doesnt work, but its reused to much in the gundam series
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 14:38   Link #33
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

I already mentioned my reasons on the other thread. On the other hand, if it had kick-ass Mobile Suits (preferably not Okawara), then Im all up for a new series with a girl main >.>
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 14:54   Link #34
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Gundam will not have a female as a lead character because it is mainly a male fanbase. Granted, Ecole du Ciel (the manga) is doing extremely well and it has a predominatly female cast of characters, but I'm leary to see how it would do as an anime series. The only probable way that a serious would do well with a female as the character is a bitching, double-d murrue sized boobs who ends up being a lesbian or something.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 14:58   Link #35
Obi-Wan
Hello there
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
double-d murrue sized boobs who ends up being a lesbian or something.
That's called "hentai," fyi. Or Mobile Suit Gundam My-Hime
Old 2006-04-01, 15:58   Link #36
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues
Gundam will not have a female as a lead character because it is mainly a male fanbase. Granted, Ecole du Ciel (the manga) is doing extremely well and it has a predominatly female cast of characters, but I'm leary to see how it would do as an anime series.
I think it's possible to have a female main character, mainly because the roles of women in Gundam evolved a lot over time and female characters showed how worthy and strong they can be. Also I look at a current series which is supposed to bring a majority male audience and yet has a girl as main character. Yes, I am talking of Blood+ and I believe that a main character who takes a pathway similar to Saya's (from the series) could be an interesting twist for a Gundam series.

It's great that someone brought up back this topic, because it made me remember how much I used to argue about what Kira and Lacus' daughter (not mandatory) would be like as a pilot if she was raised in a peaceful environment. I spent some time arguing that if she was raised in a peaceful environment, she might undergo most of the same difficulties Kira went through in SEED.

At least I would like to see Kira be a great influence for that female main character... if the next thing is a SEED series that is.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 16:35   Link #37
[DarkazurESky]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare213
By the time I've read few posts in this thread, I'm starting to think that some of y'all are just sexist or don't believe in gender equality or both. (Well being a sexist, you wouldn't believe the second thing I've mentioned.

What I'm trying to say is, that if Sunrise and Bandai hires some people (hopefully not Morosawa) to make a fifty-episode animated series that has a girl as the main character, what kind of girl are we talking about?
Knightmare213, I agree with you. I have read many sexist stereotypes. It is just preposterous to read many mislead, illogical, and untruthful comment. If you think man that and this, you are a sexist. Take some classes that will help you get straighten out. I am guy who does not care about opinions held by society, which are "If you are true man use your physical strength to be aggressive, if you are true woman you will be permissive to grant all man wish." I learned this in my Biology 15: Human Sexuality. And my professor says this is what is taught directly and indirectly. And I believe it is true after I have learned it.

Let's say a female instead of girl. It is some what condescending and sexist folks can not say girly! LOL

I do not want Morosawa to be head script writer, again. She thinks all of her works are fantastic and do not need any correction. Besides she made numerous script delays and rushed in writing; thus, we got crappy Second Season.

I want a female lead to be imperfect because it she is already mature in every field there would be no development. I wish she is a strict, a mature, an aggressive, an ace, and a selfish leader of a team. We might see her change and become friendly, calmed, semi-strict, kind person. I thought this because this will give a lot of characteristic, which is essential to a main character.
[DarkazurESky] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 16:53   Link #38
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Let's say a female instead of girl. It is some what condescending and sexist folks can not say girly! LOL

I want a female lead to be imperfect because it she is already mature in every field there would be no development. I wish she is a strict, a mature, an aggressive, an ace, and a selfish leader of a team. We might see her change and become friendly, calmed, semi-strict, kind person. I thought this because this will give a lot of characteristic, which is essential to a main character.
I don't know how you came with the "selfish leader" idea stuff, but I was leaning more towards a character with a pathway similar to Saya's in Blood+. I can see her to be rather friendly, a little reserved, calm, and kind at the very start, AND then she becomes more mature, more determined, and more aggressive in combat.

If you can watch Blood+, you would understand better the kind of character I want to see as a female main character in a Gundam series. And besides, Saya is everything but a very girly female character (she is quite well-balanced).
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 17:02   Link #39
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

We could use another Kamille Bidan, but a girl this time and Kira as a mentor/teacher for her.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-01, 22:43   Link #40
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz1/2
We could use another Kamille Bidan, but a girl this time and Kira as a mentor/teacher for her.
can she be the naughty student? rawr hmmm with Lacus in the way that might be hard.
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote