AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2014-05-27, 13:07   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Dubbing of Attack on Titan

This thread is for the discussion of English Voice Actors in the R1 release of Attack on Titan.

Please do not use this thread to whinge and whine that you do not like any sort of English dub. No one is forcing you to listen to the dub so if you do not like it then simply listen to the Japanese track and turn the subtitles on.

Please remember these simple rules when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.
  • Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to flame praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.

Have fun!
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-27, 18:44   Link #2
ghastmine

I'll try to avoid negativity....so is it same story and no major changes no it's just English and is still ok...now we have yet to see the next 20 episodes so anything could change.
Now I met jeans voice actor (a.k.a Mike McFarland) he was pretty cool so I don't have bad feelings for the dub but I have twitched at some minor things mainly for the voice actors the first thing I noticed was armins voice was deeper then erens this kinda set me off why? Well for the first episodes (until they plan that gun attack) he is a real wuss....anyways some people complain mikasa cusses to much well what do you expect I like it she is incredibly protective of eren (p.s eren x mikasa shippers she made a "promise!" To his mom to protect him....) but it's not bad so over all I give the dub a 8/10
ghastmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-02, 19:01   Link #3
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
It's good, I don't prefer it over the original for now but quite good. I know I didn't like Armin's at first but I'm adjusting to it. Eren's voice trouble me slightly, maybe a little too deep but not bad still.

*Maybe* could have been better if they didn't limit the auditions (some VA's weren't even allowed to audition) but the flipside is it gives some new faces a chance at a popular series.
Old 2014-06-16, 08:01   Link #4
ghastmine

Well im waiting for my mom to get back to watch episode 7 in english but greatly enough they kept a same line in episode 6 you know that ymir one (basically it caused alot of shippers) but levis voice from what we saw well ok hes always looking apathetic (this goes for annie as well) but i cant pin it down its just something doesnt feel right
ghastmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-17, 20:27   Link #5
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Ech, the titan form Eren sounds....OFF
Old 2014-06-19, 23:24   Link #6
KrimzonStriker

Just watched the dub for episode 13. Is anyone else noticing extra animation scenes for the english version that look like they were cut out of the Japanese one? Like this one after Levi kills the two titans and they're staring at him, it pans back to the group when Armin questions if its Mikasa, and then she jumps down next to him asking who that guy is. If so, will they be adding those scenes for the subbed releases of the official DVDs or something you think?
Old 2014-06-27, 14:46   Link #7
Apache Thunder
Interdimensional Spy

Send a message via MSN to Apache Thunder Send a message via Yahoo to Apache Thunder
I'll just state from my opinion that it doesn't matter how well a dub is done. It all comes down to which version I saw first. If I saw the original Japanese dub first, then that's the voices I associate with the characters. So the English dub will always sound "off".

I haven't seen the dub, but I have seen previews of it on Adult Swim. I don't really like the voice for Eren. Sounds too...whiny....Tough to really explain that. Maybe it's fine, and wouldn't be as noticeable if I had seen this version first. But in my opinion the original voice actor sounded better during the scenes when Eren is scared/not confident. :P

If there is one in the source material, is there chance of it appearing in the second season of the anime? (if they make one, no guarantee of that though. )

I have cameras in your head!

Last edited by Apache Thunder; 2014-06-28 at 23:07.
Apache Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-30, 11:10   Link #8
Breimoon

Anime licensed in my country too(italy) by Dynit (it was announced today) and about half are REALLY REALLY angry because since it is Usagi's birthday(sailormoon) they thought they would announce Sailormoon license?Lol wtf.Did something similar ever happen in you guys country too?
Breimoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-30, 12:58   Link #9
Reticia

Here, in France, the first (probably) dubbed episodes will air saturday. Usually, the dubs suck here, I'll tell you when I'll see them.
Old 2014-07-05, 15:13   Link #10
Reticia

First episode is over for the first time on french TV.

No censorship, I'm surprised.

Relatively good impression, compared to our other dubs. But it can't be compared to the japanese dubs.
- Young Mikasa : good voice, good actress.
- Young Eren : i'm confused. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it is bad. It lacks anger.
- Young Armin : Voice looks too much like our young Eren. Maybe it is the same VA, it wouldn't be surprising. But it fits the character.
- Keith : The VA almost gave it his all when he gave the arm to Moses mother. It lacked conviction, but it is the best I've heard in a french dub for an anime.
- Eren's Mom : Just perfect. I can compare it to the japanese voice.
- Narrator : Armin's or Eren's voice (can't guess, it is almost the same). Not Mikasa.
Old 2014-07-05, 15:17   Link #11
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
The french dubbing was a pleasant surprise. It's not GiTS SAC level, but at least the VAs are putting some effort in acting instead of sounding like they are reading the script (I am looking at you Kaze).
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 16:02   Link #12
Reticia

Episode 3 is over. The dub is getting better and better.

French Mikasa is definitely perfect. Jean, Krista, Tomas, Sasha, Connie, Ymir. The voices fit the characters, and they act. Sasha was scary when she smelt the food after her punishment. Jean was jubilating when he told Eren was a failure in the barracks.

But Sasha actress...geez. Maybe it is the french directing that sucks, but one part didn't fit the character. She considered Keith as a baka when he asked her why she ate the potato.

And for the famous words from Jean : "I just lost faith in humanity" => "Between men, it is a sign of trust".

Krista : I want to marry her. Kawaii voice.

Eren voice is better than in episode 1. I think the VA begins to understand his character.

Last edited by Reticia; 2014-07-06 at 01:12.
Reticia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-05, 16:15   Link #13
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Sadly, we gotta wait until the actual run that will start in September to see how the dubbing progress from there. Let's hope they air the episodes in the same timeslot, this is just perfect for someone working with graveyard shifts like I do.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-06, 11:42   Link #14
Reticia

I've bought the collector set at the Japan Expo today (the picture quality is perfect, BTW). French dubs are included.

I justed watched bits of episodes 15 to 19 :
- Eren : Great improvment overall
- Revi : Great. Cold and scary. Sounds like the japanese voice.
- Petra : Good on episode 15, great on episode 19
- Oruo : Very different. But fits the character. It was weird.
- Erwin : Great
- Mike : Great
- Hanji : Almost perfect. The VA tries her best to sound as crazy as the japanese voice, I could feel it.
- Gunther : Great
Old 2015-08-16, 08:49   Link #15
KingEagle4

I like them. Eren sounds great, and Jean's performance made me feel the feels.
KingEagle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-16, 17:27   Link #16
RichardFromMarple

I've watched this with subtitles as I was warned the English dub wasn't very good.

It's interesting to see the French dub getting some better feedback here, though the dubbing industry in france (& many other countries) is a bit better developed.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote