AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka LN - Steeplechase Chapter (Volume 13) Rating
Perfect 10 13 20.63%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 20.63%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 26.98%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 17.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 6.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.17%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.59%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-07-10, 09:00   Link #2221
Echizen777

Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
I want an example about the thing you claim.
I haven't seen anyone can use magic without CAD beside Tatsuya and Miyuki.

And bakato, you should add which volume it is in. And Miyuki and Tatsuya are anything but your average magicians. She can't represent the general population.
Why giving an example would be so important when there is a quote specifying it? I posted it already with Tatsuya who didn't need his CAD for his interventions. It's rare but I will give you one, Mayumi's Multi Scope is an ESP superpower, just like Tatsuya's Elemental Sight. Her simple Particle Release mentioned by amtro previously is a NS magic too.

Quote:
Election chapter where Miyuki goes freeze everything if not for God. Big 3 is impressed.
You know Miyuki is not the only one able to do that right? Gifted magicians can do this(Masaki, Lina, Katsuto, Mayumi etc) true that it is a proof of the talent of a magician but it happens to Miyuki because she is sealing Tatsuya's Psion Count otherwise she would be like the the magicians in the brackets

Spoiler for Quote:

And I found another part which should clear everything

Spoiler for Quote:
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 09:58   Link #2222
whydo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
He has been given several chances to back out, but he hasn't. Mitsugu and Maya both want Tatsuya to resign as Miyuki's Guardian and return to the main house. This implies that he is Miyuki's Guardian by his own will.
In the section where he refuses it's also stated that as long as he is a Guardian nobody is allowed to tell him what to do other than Miyuki.
whydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 10:22   Link #2223
whydo

Quote:
Could Ultramarine be a magatama like the one Tatsuya already has? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has thought of this, it would be a perfect contrast to the red jewel already in Tatsuya's possession.
I'm dying to know what kind of capabilities this thing has. If it has the ability to store psions then it would be the perfect helping tool to go with the magatama's ability to store magic sequences.
Soon enough you won't even need mages, just soldiers with mage-guns.
'Could be the Yotsuba version of Brionac (sp?) that Angelina had. He did use his restoration to fix it after it was broken by Sirrius and in doing so understood how it worked.
whydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-10, 11:03   Link #2224
kazzuya13

So far it has already reached 13 volumes however this is a series in which there is no albino characters as of yet.
Old 2014-07-10, 11:29   Link #2225
XFire
150% done

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Does Erika's personal accel magic count?
She uses her Engraved CAD for that. The baton thing.
Old 2014-07-10, 23:27   Link #2226
TrueAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
I think the way Kazama hide informations from Tatsuya in this volume and tried to use him is really bad. You could argue that he is his superior and that he doesn't have to give him anything but then again the only reason Tatsuya even joined the military was so he can have a give and take operation with them, he's been very very helpful to the 101 independent battalion, he even used Strategic Class Magic twice for them, yet in this volume two members tried to use him.
I agree with you. If you remember the first year 9SC, Kazama invited Tatsuya to the meeting as friend (was it friend or comrade?). So far, he is only using him as a tool. (Where is friendship?) And, Tatsuya knows Kazama also knew the scheme while evedropping the conversation between Yakumo and Kazama. And, he now knows, Kazama purposely did not tell him. Regardless of military ranking, his trust on Kazama is destined to decline. Furthermore, Kazama forgave Kyoukyo for working with Kudo family, but Kyoukyo and Tatsuya will not have a decent relationship after P-doll scheming. So, Kazama has everything that can drive Tatsuya away from himself and 101 independent division.

On contrary, I was impressed with Yakumo. I think, he may be only one outside of Yotsuba who can actually help Tatsuya and can be called and deserves the title of friend or comrade. (Miki, Leo, and Erica do not really know "true" Tatsuya.) Yakumo also took advantages over Tatsuya's relationship with Yotsuba, but based on observation until now I think, Yakumo seems to share common objective with Tatsuya, which is the safety and wellbeing of magic society. I am hoping more actions from Yakumo.

Man, I really hope, Zhou Gongjin to take down / kill Kazama and possibly wipe out 101 independent magic division. His boss wants both GA and Japan to get weaker, but Yokohama invasion only weakened the GA. Outside of TMC, 101 battalion is the key military defense for JSDF, so idea of Zhou targeting 101 or its members are not far-fetched. As a fan of Tatsuya, I think Kazama and his crew may cause a serious damage to Tatsuya at one point or become an enemy of Tatsuya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydo View Post
In the section where he refuses it's also stated that as long as he is a Guardian nobody is allowed to tell him what to do other than Miyuki.
No, that is not true.
Guardians are the lowest ranked personnels in the Yotsuba.
Each Yotsuba has right to choose his / her guardian, but guardians are subjects to take orders from any Yotsuba in the family. If your concept was right, Tatsuya should not take an order from Miya during the past arc. He was a guardian of Miyuki, and Sakurai was a guardian of Miya.

Tatsuya is probably only guardian who can object to the Maya, who is the highest person within the hierachic system of Yotsuba because Tatsuya has no loyalty to Yotstuba, and he is only taking a job as a guardian in order to stay in Yotsuba and ultimately stay next to the Miyuki. When I look at Tatsuya, I would not say, he is above the system, but he is more like outside of system.

Last edited by TrueAlchemist; 2014-07-11 at 01:20.
TrueAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 02:46   Link #2227
Zoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueAlchemist View Post
No, that is not true.
Guardians are the lowest ranked personnels in the Yotsuba.
Each Yotsuba has right to choose his / her guardian, but guardians are subjects to take orders from any Yotsuba in the family. If your concept was right, Tatsuya should not take an order from Miya during the past arc. He was a guardian of Miyuki, and Sakurai was a guardian of Miya.

Tatsuya is probably only guardian who can object to the Maya, who is the highest person within the hierachic system of Yotsuba because Tatsuya has no loyalty to Yotstuba, and he is only taking a job as a guardian in order to stay in Yotsuba and ultimately stay next to the Miyuki. When I look at Tatsuya, I would not say, he is above the system, but he is more like outside of system.
I agree with you here. The main evidence for me that this is how Tatsuya exists towards the Yotsuba is how Tatsuya is addressed by the people in the Yotsuba who are actually aware of what Tatsuya really is. Hayama and now Aoki addressed him in previous series as Tatsuya-dono, and some of the rough translations that appeared earlier of the Kuroba at the end of Volume 13 showed the Kuroba men addressing Tatsuya as Tatsuya-dono as well. The "dono" part is key here, as "dono" is used within the Ten Clan families to discuss the heads of other families, whereas "sama" is used within the family. The fact they address Tatsuya with "dono" implies Tatsuya is viewed as a powerhouse that is outside of the main family structure.
Zoks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 03:03   Link #2228
amtro
Distro

The -dono suffix implies heightened status within the hierarchal structure. It's higher than -san, but not quite on the level of -sama. If he was outside of the hierarchy then there are other suffixes for that, dono and sama are not something you use for outliers and nobodies.
They mean that you either acknowledge the status of someone to be above your own and deeply respect the recipient, or that you're forced to given the circumstances.
Aoki referring to Tatsuya as -dono only denotes that he was being overly polite in order to barter with him for Pixie.
Hayama and the Kuroba servants on the other hand appear to acknowledge Tatsuya as someone above them within the clan.
If the translation for the Kuroba servants is -sama and not -dono then we can definitely infer that Tatsuya's status in the clan isn't quite what we had previously assumed, or that it is changing.
amtro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 03:35   Link #2229
Zoks

Quote:
The -dono suffix implies heightened status within the hierarchal structure. It's higher than -san, but not quite on the level of -sama. If he was outside of the hierarchy then there are other suffixes for that, dono and sama are not something you use for outliers and nobodies.
They mean that you either acknowledge the status of someone to be above your own and deeply respect the recipient, or that you're forced to given the circumstances.
Aoki referring to Tatsuya as -dono only denotes that he was being overly polite in order to barter with him for Pixie.
Hayama and the Kuroba servants on the other hand appear to acknowledge Tatsuya as someone above them within the clan.
If the translation for the Kuroba servants is -sama and not -dono then we can definitely infer that Tatsuya's status in the clan isn't quite what we had previously assumed, or that it is changing.
You have to consider how the other clans use the term as well though. Mayumi and Katsuo address Maya as -dono as well, while the Yotsuba address Koichi as -dono. That is an indication of how the clans address the heads of other families. Considering Tatsuya's relationship to the Yotsuba, it seems they address him that way because they see him more as an outsider than someone who outranks them. When you consider his discussions with Hayama where it is more of a negotiation than orders being handed down, Tatsuya's relationship comes off more as an allied magician to the Yotsuba, rather than a bottom-ranking member.
Old 2014-07-11, 03:44   Link #2230
amtro
Distro

No, there are rules for the use of suffixes. You wouldn't call your teacher for heika, so you don't call some outsider you see as lower than dirt for -dono, ever.
Mayumi and Katsuto refer to the other heads as -dono because their status is similar being that they're all from the main families, but at the same time they outrank them. It is a show of respect.
You should educate yourself on a subject before you try to fit them into your scenarios. Use google.
Old 2014-07-11, 06:32   Link #2231
pampz21
ShipCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
She uses her Engraved CAD for that. The baton thing.
Hmmmm...but isnt her cad a weapon integrated can only store 1 magic?

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 07:14   Link #2232
renuac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jirachier View Post
I think the way Kazama hide informations from Tatsuya in this volume and tried to use him is really bad. You could argue that he is his superior and that he doesn't have to give him anything but then again the only reason Tatsuya even joined the military was so he can have a give and take operation with them, he's been very very helpful to the 101 independent battalion, he even used Strategic Class Magic twice for them, yet in this volume two members tried to use him.
We've known since the first Nine Schools Competition arc that Kazama and Tatsuya both know that the other one is only their ally as long as it benefits them. Doesn't stop them from being friends but I don't think either of them would be surprised (or even bitter) at a betrayal.

What I don't get here though is why Kazama was holding back information. I mean, Kazama and Saeki are opposed to any military meddling from the 10MC, and that goes for the Kudou as much as for the Yotsuba. Witholding information from a "Yotsuba combatant" was an indirect way of helping the Kudou (even if that wasn't Kazama's intention). Plus Saeki was liaising with Maya anyway, so it's not like Kazama didn't know that Tatsuya would have access to the intel. Why not just give it to him directly and maintain the best possible relationship with him? Makes no sense. The only thing I can think of is that this was Kazama's way of siding with Fujiyama over Tatsuya. She was always a valuable subordinate and after his forgiving her for her actions in this arc, he is guaranteed her loyalty. It kind of looks like he is preparing the 101 to close ranks against Tatsuya at some point in the future.
renuac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 11:00   Link #2233
Zoks

Quote:
No, there are rules for the use of suffixes. You wouldn't call your teacher for heika, so you don't call some outsider you see as lower than dirt for -dono, ever.
Mayumi and Katsuto refer to the other heads as -dono because their status is similar being that they're all from the main families, but at the same time they outrank them. It is a show of respect.
You should educate yourself on a subject before you try to fit them into your scenarios. Use google.
Where did I imply that the people who call Tatsuya -dono see him as lower than dirt? The people who do see him that way do not use that phrase, unless you are arguing that Aoki still sees him that way. But there isn't any evidence of this, because the last time Aoki talked to Tatsuya, he used the -dono suffix, and during his phone call with Hayama, Hayama was using the -dono suffix as well. When your superior addresses someone in a certain manner, you do not use a different method of addressing that same person. That meeting between Aoki and Tatsuya marked a shift in Aoki's treatment of him. Aoki had to accept that the only way to deal with Tatsuya is to accept that he is outside the system.
Old 2014-07-11, 11:23   Link #2234
zerozeronine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
Where did I imply that the people who call Tatsuya -dono see him as lower than dirt? The people who do see him that way do not use that phrase, unless you are arguing that Aoki still sees him that way. But there isn't any evidence of this, because the last time Aoki talked to Tatsuya, he used the -dono suffix, and during his phone call with Hayama, Hayama was using the -dono suffix as well. When your superior addresses someone in a certain manner, you do not use a different method of addressing that same person. That meeting between Aoki and Tatsuya marked a shift in Aoki's treatment of him. Aoki had to accept that the only way to deal with Tatsuya is to accept that he is outside the system.
Hayama respects Tatsuya plain and simple,for Aoki,he needed to be polite to buy off Pixie from Tatsuya and failure will get him scolding from Maya,even if he failed,he just had an agreement with Tatsuya,Maya is ok with.

Any spoiler for Erika discussing the Yotsuba with Tatsuya in chapter 2?
zerozeronine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 13:20   Link #2235
Zoks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozeronine View Post
Hayama respects Tatsuya plain and simple,for Aoki,he needed to be polite to buy off Pixie from Tatsuya and failure will get him scolding from Maya,even if he failed,he just had an agreement with Tatsuya,Maya is ok with.

Any spoiler for Erika discussing the Yotsuba with Tatsuya in chapter 2?
You have to consider Aoki's behavior during the entire meeting. He originally approached Tatsuya as someone who saw himself in a much higher rank in a rigid hierarchy. When he found out that was getting him nowhere he had to accept the reality that Tatsuya can only be dealt with as someone outside the system. You think he'd be that polite to Minami? Besides, he wanted to deal with Tatsuya when Miyuki wasn't around, suggesting he was hoping he could just deal with him like he would deal with any other lowly servant. He probably found out Tatsuya was only holding his tongue around Miyuki and has no interest in playing the subservient servant.
Old 2014-07-11, 14:13   Link #2236
amtro
Distro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
Again you are making stuff up to fit with your scenario. I'll repeat myself, you do not refer to someone outside of the system with -dono. Use google, or a library, just please educate yourself.
Even if he is outside of their "system" there is still such a thing as a social hierarchy, this is the hierarchal structure I was referring to.
No matter how much strive for it you will never fall out of the social hierarchy, no matter what you do. Even the so-called outsiders have a place in the social structure and it's at a very low place.
The last time Aoki met Tatsuya he refused to even acknowledge his existence, much less use the informal -san suffix. Yet now he's using -dono and you expect everything to be peaches?
Old 2014-07-11, 14:54   Link #2237
kagato3

Common useage of dono is to adress someone respectfully while making it clear that they are not above you which sama implies.

This is in part why Miya stressed not calling Tatsuya Oniisama inplaces that only family are at. It can be seen as undermining her authority since as a candidate for the next head is placing herself as being subservient to him. This may have been part of the issue with Kuroba as well since Fumiya was also adressing Tatsuya as Tatsuya-niisama while only adressing his father as Otou-san. I'm starting to think that it was in part trying to hid this that lead to Tatsuya's "exile" from the main house.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-11, 16:35   Link #2238
Zoks

Quote:
Again you are making stuff up to fit with your scenario. I'll repeat myself, you do not refer to someone outside of the system with -dono. Use google, or a library, just please educate yourself.
Even if he is outside of their "system" there is still such a thing as a social hierarchy, this is the hierarchal structure I was referring to.
No matter how much strive for it you will never fall out of the social hierarchy, no matter what you do. Even the so-called outsiders have a place in the social structure and it's at a very low place.
The last time Aoki met Tatsuya he refused to even acknowledge his existence, much less use the informal -san suffix. Yet now he's using -dono and you expect everything to be peaches?
I'm not expecting everything to be peaches. I am expecting that Aoki has to accept the reality that Tatsuya is not part of the hierarchy. Tatsuya was rude to him from Aoki's perspective. Look how Minami acts around Mitsugui in this volume and Hayama in the previous one. That is the proper Guardian behavior. Compare that to Tatsuya's behavior. Social hierarchy means nothing because Tatsuya refuses to adhere to it, and they have no way to force him to. Hence he is outside the system. I am taking back my argument on the suffixes though, looking back on the older volumes show the characters themselves are not consistent enough with them when addressing others to make a solid theory with them. Hayama addresses Koichi as -sama, while others use -san or -dono.
Old 2014-07-11, 22:13   Link #2239
Jedsada

In early spoiler, Kuroba's agent call Tatsuya-dono, but spoiler from TrueAlchemist they said Tatsuya-sama.

Which one is right?
Jedsada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-07-12, 03:18   Link #2240
bietchie11
OneTrueTatsuya's apostles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
Does Erika's personal accel magic count?
Isn't her baton her CAD? How can you miss that?
What a fan!
Politics: Capitalism

-Silentwolfie-
bietchie11 is offline   Reply With Quote