AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

Old 2014-09-22, 11:21   Link #2941
Kreion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ TAYLER View Post
When too much Mind-you-know-what is never enough, you know you are reading Niso!

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Kreion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-22, 13:19   Link #2942
Rost-Light
Nonsense Bearer

So, thay say "curiosity killed the cat", but I can't wait any longer.
Pi-face and I have revised a lot of japanese spoilers and reviews, but with my zero and his not-so-well-as-wanted knowledge of japanese we can't provide solid summary. Things are so vague, a lot of emotions and much less facts there.
Here there are only things in which we are almost confident.
Spoiler for spoilers:

Spoiler for now, really spoilers:

Yeah, short stories are totally irrelevant, fan-service only... damn you again, Nisio.

Last edited by Rost-Light; 2014-09-22 at 13:31.
Rost-Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 12:06   Link #2943
mugimugi
bwaka

I read like 3 chapters, thank to incomplete scans someone gave me as a "preview", the rest is just spoilers I can't confirm yet. I don't know anything about the ending/revelation/solution at the end of the book.

Spoiler for Spoiler:

Last edited by mugimugi; 2014-09-24 at 12:28.
mugimugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 12:40   Link #2944
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
More like he enjoys the power of words, especially words that are not reflecting reality. After all, if words are true, they don't really matter; it is only when lies are spoken that they have the power to alter human society.
He seems to enjoy the power of words considering how every conflict in the series (or just about any of his works for that matter) are resolved through words. Still, I wonder if he likes Jungian philosophy as it seems though the characters all seem to have something repressed in them.
Old 2014-09-24, 18:52   Link #2945
FelynxTiger
くすぐ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugimugi View Post
Spoiler for Spoiler:
You mean like this?

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2014-09-24 at 20:38. Reason: Please use the thumbnails that imgur provides...
FelynxTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 21:38   Link #2946
Rost-Light
Nonsense Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelynxTiger View Post
You mean like this?
Like this, I guess.

Spoiler for image:
Old 2014-09-24, 22:33   Link #2947
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I just read some spoilers about it.

WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-24, 23:55   Link #2948
Pi-face
Donut shop owner

Quote:
I read like 3 chapters, thank to incomplete scans someone gave me as a "preview", the rest is just spoilers I can't confirm yet. I don't know anything about the ending/revelation/solution at the end of the book.

Spoiler for Spoiler:
Thank you for spoilers!

That was... disappointing. I mean - what was that all about? I thought that Nisio will save some good epilogue for Araragi's adventures, but... not like that. We already have "Nisemonogatari 2" in Tsukimonogatari novel, now this (though I am not considering Nise as a weak novel, but there is still too much of fanservice) I mean - what was the point of this story? To show us how Araragi perverted? We already knew that. And why is this story called "Koyomi book"? Main thing in the plot is mirror, not a book... Why "book" then?
I pretty sure that in full length this novel is much better and consistent, but for now... it doesnt hold up. At all. There is supposed to be some explained ending and purpose of this story. I knew that this novel would be not as good, considering reviews from Japan but... wow, Nisio. These stuff like mirror reading is awesome. But everything else... I hate those kind of stories that was weird, but author just failed to explain them and said "it was illusion or it was a dream". Pretty weak for author of your level, Nisio.

Quote:
Spoiler for Spoiler:
And I just can't belive that he said something like this to his readers. Sure, he is a troll, but not the lowest kind of troll. In every single of his Monogatari novels he said that he just wrote them for fun. But this did not meant that these books are "books readers didn't need to read at the end".

Last edited by Pi-face; 2014-09-25 at 01:52.
Pi-face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-25, 11:26   Link #2949
mugimugi
bwaka

The spoilers are not representative of the book. I did not mention anything about the purpose of it or anything like that. When was the last time you could take the spoilers as 1:1 example of one of the books? The Owari novels turned out to be some of my favourites after being really underwhelmed by the spoilers I read before.

The book is called Koyomi Invert or something like that now. He changed the title because of Koyomimonogatari.
The last third of the book is pretty much about what's going on in Zoku Owari, and it's a talk with Ougi. Ougi is as always cryptic, and not easy to understand so didn't want to spoil anything about it, especially after having not even read the entire book yet. I pretty much just summed up the appearance of characters in the book and how they are affected by the change. Of course this book has no effect on the overall series or ending, we already saw the ending with Hana. I too expected some weird thing happening with Hitagi for example, because it was set up to be. But that's also just playing with our expectations.

Nisio didn't mean the last bit a trolling bit. The "at the end" part was me saying "at the end of the book".

And again, people seem to be upset about Hitagi AGAIN (tumblr). Why no one understand the purpose of her is freaking hilarious. First of all, it's been already made a joke that Hitagi has a father complex, hence the "father" comment which is a joke, also most of what she says is intentionally done to startle (and amuse) her "partner" (anyone she talks to) and the reader.
Old 2014-09-25, 15:07   Link #2950
DorkingtonPugsly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rost-Light View Post
Spoiler for now, really spoilers:
Why couldn't it be Gaen Izuko getting naked and all that good stuff :c ;_;
My favorite characters never get the good treatment...
Old 2014-09-25, 23:10   Link #2951
Rost-Light
Nonsense Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkingtonPugsly View Post
My favorite characters never get the good treatment...
Nah, you shouldn't say so, when talking about character created by Nisio. Izuko is comparatively well now. She knows everything, she makes fun even of Hanekawa and she is pretty awesome. "Just as planned" may become her catchphrase. She hasn't so much time in the novels, but it isn't big deal.
For example, my favourite character (but from another Nisio's series) was awesome too and could plan everything, but Nisio brutally killed her after her second appearance. In the same novel. He revealed her great potential as a character and... zig-zag.
Nisio knows every way to break hearts of his fans. So, the fact that Izuko hasn't fun-service scene yet is not a big deal. May be in next WhateverEvenAfterGatari? Who knows?

Last edited by Rost-Light; 2014-09-25 at 23:53.
Old 2014-09-26, 04:01   Link #2952
Pi-face
Donut shop owner

Quote:
The spoilers are not representative of the book. I did not mention anything about the purpose of it or anything like that. When was the last time you could take the spoilers as 1:1 example of one of the books? The Owari novels turned out to be some of my favourites after being really underwhelmed by the spoilers I read before.
I agree with that. Only after detailed spoilers I understood the whole plot and realised that despite of pretty messy impressions from japanese colleagues and short spoilers (which was not clear to me) this trilogy is actually pretty good and solid conclusion for the series. I wanted to point out that for now - it looks even messier than Owari spoilers plus fanservice - so I don't know what to expect from this book in the end

Quote:
The book is called Koyomi Invert or something like that now. He changed the title because of Koyomimonogatari.
Hmm, this is much more logical, I am glad that Nisio changed this title.

Quote:
The last third of the book is pretty much about what's going on in Zoku Owari, and it's a talk with Ougi. Ougi is as always cryptic, and not easy to understand so didn't want to spoil anything about it, especially after having not even read the entire book yet. I pretty much just summed up the appearance of characters in the book and how they are affected by the change. Of course this book has no effect on the overall series or ending, we already saw the ending with Hana. I too expected some weird thing happening with Hitagi for example, because it was set up to be. But that's also just playing with our expectations.
Really glad to hear that there will be a lot of explanations. Author always makes them so... elegant, to the point when you actually want to take a lot of quotes from it.

Quote:
And again, people seem to be upset about Hitagi AGAIN (tumblr). Why no one understand the purpose of her is freaking hilarious. First of all, it's been already made a joke that Hitagi has a father complex, hence the "father" comment which is a joke, also most of what she says is intentionally done to startle (and amuse) her "partner" (anyone she talks to) and the reader.
But why to be upset? They wanted her death or turning into kaii so badly? (I know people who wanted )
Nisio just deceived our expectations again, as usual
Yeah, she had a father complex - she mentioned it during Bake and Neko White and character commentaries for Bake anime (she likes to blindfold herself with father's necktie or something). But when SHE always the one who mentions this - you can't help but start to think that this is not only joke, but deliberate provocation from her. Or this case is like Tsukushi's "I love my brother". It's a shame Shaft never put on screen a brilliant scene from Otori when she told Nadeko how her boyfriend conquered her heart.
Spoiler:

I hope Araragi have courage to tell her that now he is her "daddy" But it seems Hitagi already did this

When I find raw for this book I will send it to you.

Quote:
Nisio knows every way to break hearts of his fans. So, the fact that Izuko hasn't fun-service scene yet is not a big deal. May be in next WhateverEvenAfterGatari? Who knows?
Could be in new novel IF this is spin-off about certain ghostbusters. And I recall that in Neko White she said something dirty while playing with words.

Last edited by Pi-face; 2014-09-26 at 05:49.
Old 2014-09-26, 05:39   Link #2953
Rost-Light
Nonsense Bearer

There are only two things about Hitagi that can upset me.
First - the fact that she is support character now. I am not only one, who want to see her and her and Koyomi relationship. But even with this in mind I can't deny Nisio's brilliance here. We don't know anything, because... there is nothing to talking about! There is no story here - everything is fine: Hitagi is not Oddity anymore and lives comparatively normal life, there is no conflict, there is no problem which can move the plot forward (Koimonogatari aside). Therefore Araragi doesn't talk about it. And it is their private life after all.
Spoiler for :mad: two minutes of hatred: this words can hurt someone feelings, please, don't read them:

Only one phrase "I'm in Araragi's house now. My dad is here too" wipes out all doubts about their relationship. This simple words mean much more than three kisses in Onimonogatari (yeah, I know, Shinobu is debatable). And I like the way Nisio shows this to us. But... I just want to read the novel about Hitagi once more.
Yeah, and the second thing. People, who doesn't acknowledge "Hitagi and Koyomi relationship" at all. We have some novels now, we saw Koimonogatari, but a lot of speculations like "Koyomi loves ONLY Hanekawa! He start dating with Hitagi only because she force him to do so! He hasn't any feelings for her!" still remain. And it is not only someone's opinion in discussions - you can find something like that even in different wiki and information portals.
I can understand why this opinion spread through people who saw only anime. Koyomi feelings is not obvious here and Hanekawa is much purer than in novels.
But Koyomi's feelings became totally clear for me after I read Mayoi Snail and for now his love toward Hitagi only became deeper. We have a lot of moments about it in novels. Not so obvious like fun-service and "Araragi-is-just-a-pervert"-things, but still... I am not in rage, but it is sad that people don't see this...
Quote:
And I recall that in Neko White she said something dirty while playing with words.
Yeah, she is Tooe's sister after all.

Last edited by Rost-Light; 2014-09-26 at 06:03.
Old 2014-09-26, 07:17   Link #2954
Kreion

Quote:
There are only two things about Hitagi that can upset me.
First - the fact that she is support character now. I am not only one, who want to see her and her and Koyomi relationship. But even with this in mind I can't deny Nisio's brilliance here. We don't know anything, because... there is nothing to talking about! There is no story here - everything is fine: Hitagi is not Oddity anymore and lives comparatively normal life, there is no conflict, there is no problem which can move the plot forward (Koimonogatari aside). Therefore Araragi doesn't talk about it. And it is their private life after all.
Spoiler for :mad: two minutes of hatred: this words can hurt someone feelings, please, don't read them:

Only one phrase "I'm in Araragi's house now. My dad is here too" wipes out all doubts about their relationship. This simple words mean much more than three kisses in Onimonogatari (yeah, I know, Shinobu is debatable). And I like the way Nisio shows this to us. But... I just want to read the novel about Hitagi once more.
Yeah, and the second thing. People, who doesn't acknowledge "Hitagi and Koyomi relationship" at all. We have some novels now, we saw Koimonogatari, but a lot of speculations like "Koyomi loves ONLY Hanekawa! He start dating with Hitagi only because she force him to do so! He hasn't any feelings for her!" still remain. And it is not only someone's opinion in discussions - you can find something like that even in different wiki and information portals.
I can understand why this opinion spread through people who saw only anime. Koyomi feelings is not obvious here and Hanekawa is much purer than in novels.
But Koyomi's feelings became totally clear for me after I read Mayoi Snail and for now his love toward Hitagi only became deeper. We have a lot of moments about it in novels. Not so obvious like fun-service and "Araragi-is-just-a-pervert"-things, but still... I am not in rage, but it is sad that people don't see this...

Yeah, she is Tooe's sister after all.
I agree about Hitagi - she's very clearly the woman that Araragi loves and that has been reinforced multiple times. It's also clear that she loves him because of the lengths she goes to in order to support him.

I would argue that there are three people who are 'closest' to Araragi. Hitagi, you've already covered and we all know (those of us who aren't blind) what's going on there.

Shinobu is a bit more complex and falls more into the realms of 'what-if'. There's clearly a very strong connection and understanding there so maybe after a hundred years or so when it's just the two of them something might happen between them. But their relationship seems more akin to soul-mates - though not necessarily romantically inclined. As I said, that relationship is really one which comes down to a lot of speculation and guesswork about the future - it may never be romantic.

Hanekawa was shut out pretty quickly. I'd argue that Karen has a better chance of getting with Araragi than her, since not only in Kizu, but in Neko and other points is that relationship shot down. As long as you understand that his desire for her was based on a lust then there's not much to go over there - Neko:Shiro is a good rebirth of their relationship into something more stable than a hidden, unrequited love.

All the other characters seem to be pretty out of it(from the books I've read), though as I said Nisio does like to tease Karen over and over.
Old 2014-09-26, 08:26   Link #2955
Pi-face
Donut shop owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreion View Post
As long as you understand that his desire for her was based on a lust then there's not much to go over there - Neko:Shiro is a good rebirth of their relationship into something more stable than a hidden, unrequited love.
There is not only lust - but admiration of her. As she said herself - for Araragi she was like a goddess. But there is still something hidden, one peculiar thing
Spoiler for spoiler for ones who have not read Owarimonogatari yet:

And Nisio, marry Hanekawa on damn Kaiki These poor souls deserve each other.

But who is another person, which is pretty close to Araragi? Right, this is
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Hachikuji Mayoi.
Spoiler for More Spoilers:

Last edited by Pi-face; 2014-09-26 at 08:44.
Old 2014-09-26, 10:36   Link #2956
Kreion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi-face View Post
There is not only lust - but admiration of her. As she said herself - for Araragi she was like a goddess. But there is still something hidden, one peculiar thing
Spoiler for spoiler for ones who have not read Owarimonogatari yet:

And Nisio, marry Hanekawa on damn Kaiki These poor souls deserve each other.

But who is another person, which is pretty close to Araragi? Right, this is
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Hachikuji Mayoi.
Spoiler for More Spoilers:
I haven't read Owari yet, but what you said doesn't surprise me...
Spoiler for Owari:

As for Mayoi, I did think of her given current events haha.

Spoiler for Spoilers:

I'm curious though, will Tsuhiki hang around? Considering what she is, will she simply continue to cycle forever?
Old 2014-09-26, 11:52   Link #2957
mugimugi
bwaka

Didn't Araragi mention in Neko Black that Hanekawa disgusts him? Pretty much for the same reason why her father hit her?

It was a meant a bit as a joke, and there's also Kanbaru's sexual orientation, but in Bake they both (Araragi and Kanbaru) said that if Araragi wouldn't have ended up Hitagi then he might have ended up with Kanbaru. But Araragi is pretty easy to fall for the charms of a woman. That's kind of what the toothbrush scene was all about. (Could it be that my sister is the perfect woman??)
Old 2014-09-28, 04:04   Link #2958
HammerOrNails
One day...
*Artist

In a nutshell.
HammerOrNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-09-28, 09:28   Link #2959
Pi-face
Donut shop owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerOrNails View Post
In a nutshell.
I disagree with this. There are actually no of such "dead ends" in Nisio's novels, no contradiction which was not explained. And still they are mindf*ck. I think he considers every detail, so he deliberately know what to write, so every little detail is part of some big puzzle. And you have no idea what part this is until it would be explained. You can only guess. And this is actually fun! And when it's explained - there are no contradictions. It's like with Hanamonogatari until the release of Owarimonogatari and Zokuowarimonogatari - we have answers on mysteries about the time period of this novel (that this is not some parallel reality and Nadeko did not kill main characters in the end of story) and the reason why Ougi is a boy in this story. And always, this is so wonderful to discover.
So I think that is not appropriate to accuse this author for poor writing. But early spoilers still usualy are mind-blowing and puzzling

Btw, iceburgdragon added his summary for Hitagi fugure short story: http://bakemonogatari.wikia.com/wiki..._Short_Stories (almost at the end of this page)
It was fun, though some people might accuse Nisio for extra advertisment

Last edited by Pi-face; 2014-09-28 at 13:52.
Old 2014-09-28, 09:45   Link #2960
Rost-Light
Nonsense Bearer

Yeah, NISIO may be harsh to his readers, but he is still a professional writer. One of the most brilliant part of his stile - references to future events, events which didn't happened yet or reader don't knows anything about them yet. When you re-reading this books and find this references... yeah, it's a wonderful feeling. And this shows us that he planned all main plot lines (Like Mayoi become a God and so on) from the beginning. NISIO is the master of foreshadowing.

Tags
adventure, comedy, fantasy, harem, nishio, romance