AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Old 2006-04-11, 14:28   Link #101
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
I am surprise no one brought this up yet but is it just me or is this a more light hearted, G rated version of Hana Yori Dango?
My first post in this thread (page 1). 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Haruhi (played by the amazing Maaya Sakamoto) is a very tomboyish bedraggled girl from a poor family that has enrolled in this high class prestigious school frequented seemingly only by classic ojou-sama's and bishounen.

Sounds like Hana Yori Dango? Wait, it gets better!
Quote:
Oh and did I mention as stupid as Tamaki may act, he probably has some sort of dark past (I can just feel it!!) just like the main lead in Hana Yori Dango?
Yes, and there will be ANGST, and there will be COMFORTING, and there will be GENERIC TWISTS, and they WILL BRING LOVERS TOGETHER. I can almost picture it panning out in the script in those same big letters.

Oh, please, let's not go the way of "generic shoujo" here! This is supposed to be an inventive spoof of the whole "angsting semi-yaoi bishounen" character, and you are proposing that the series go in the most predictable and boring direction ever?

I vote "NAY".
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 14:32   Link #102
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
I don't know. I don't think it should go in the "generic shoujo" direction, but I hope it has a plot arc of SOME sort as opposed to being pure comedy. But as I said, the whole bullying and the "help haruhi pick up books in water" thing in the first episode sort of guaranteed that this won't be pure fluff all the way.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 14:36   Link #103
Mangaka-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ori
Oh and did I mention as stupid as Tamaki may act, he probably has some sort of dark past (I can just feel it!!) just like the main lead in Hana Yori Dango?
Sort of... (semi important spoiler ahead)
Spoiler:

Last edited by Mangaka-chan; 2006-04-11 at 18:51.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:17   Link #104
Omniscient

Episode 02 Screencaps and Summary

Spoiler:
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:18   Link #105
dxgarten

Episode 2 is just out and it's as hilarious as the first one:

Screencaps and summary

Spoiler:
dxgarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 16:48   Link #106
Cal-Reflector

Ran ahead and read the manga up to volume 7.

Spoiler for not really:

I have a feeling this show will be getting its own separate thread soon.
Old 2006-04-11, 17:18   Link #107
froinlaven
Wanchu!

I read the first chapter of the manga from a sampler a while back. I thought it was okay, but the anime really brings it to life. I think this is at least in the top 3 anime I've seen this season so far.
froinlaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 17:35   Link #108
amonrei

Didn't really expect this show to be good so i'm quite surprised. Even more surprised to know that Haruhi is voiced by Maaya Sakamoto. I've never read the manga though.
amonrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 18:27   Link #109
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
Ran ahead and read the manga up to volume 7.

Spoiler for not really:

I have a feeling this show will be getting its own separate thread soon.
Ok, if I had read about this and done my "normal" research before d/l this, end result would of been; not to download it at all.

I was bored one day, down loaded it because it said "1" on it and thought, "well let's see what this new anime's about"

Good thing I did, as I loved the "light bulb" thing, plus the laughs just kept me loving it

However Cal-Ref's sort of spoiler breaks my heart!

I SO would want a decent couple out of this, and I become bored with the random-wishy-washy romance couples that or the "Norm" from these teenage angst animes

I loved the quality, va's, art, and I was even thinking about breaking the bank on the manga, but I have other anime to watch if this is going nowhere
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 18:29   Link #110
Demonish

the only problem with a new outcoming anime being so entertaining is... yes..the wait till the next episode
Demonish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 18:44   Link #111
Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
I loved the quality, va's, art, and I was even thinking about breaking the bank on the manga, but I have other anime to watch if this is going nowhere
Very rarely do anime series not try for some sort of ultimate plot at all (i.e. the story going somewhere), though I'll admit that some series do it rather poorly. I've got high hopes that the production team will do a good job with whatever story path they end up choosing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonish
the only problem with a new outcoming anime being so entertaining is... yes..the wait till the next episode
From the preview, it looks like next week will be the physical exam. That manga chapter had me in stitches, so I'm looking forward to next week's episode having a lot of funny moments
Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 19:12   Link #112
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder
Ok, if I had read about this and done my "normal" research before d/l this, end result would of been; not to download it at all.

I was bored one day, down loaded it because it said "1" on it and thought, "well let's see what this new anime's about"

Good thing I did, as I loved the "light bulb" thing, plus the laughs just kept me loving it

However Cal-Ref's sort of spoiler breaks my heart!

I SO would want a decent couple out of this, and I become bored with the random-wishy-washy romance couples that or the "Norm" from these teenage angst animes

Didn't wish to disappoint you. What would be a good way to put this... I mean, there ARE fanlistings for couples in Ouran Host Club, and they ARE based upon some "moments" in the manga. Nevertheless, let's see... ok, compared to the Fruits Basket anime, hopefully a popular enough title that you've seen; if Furuba TV's level of focus on romance was... 4, compared to regular shoujo's (Hana Yori Dango... which I haven't seen, Hot Gimmick) being around 9-10, then Ouran's (the mangas) level of focus on romance stands at about... 2.

It really is more 1)Slice-of-life and 2)Comedy. But hey, the anime very well be different.
Old 2006-04-11, 19:59   Link #113
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan
Sort of... (semi important spoiler ahead)
Spoiler:
Looks good.

I checked out some of the manga (not a lot though). I saw the normal shoujo elements that goes heavy on humour (thinking xxxHolic... in which the romance element is low but definately still there if you want to see it and not there if you don't). I think these two series is similar in that aspect (though nothing else of course).

I wouldn't go as far as say it's 2 in romance though. I don't know how to rate it, but the romantic scenes are there even if they are very brief and the focus quickly change to something else.
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 19:59   Link #114
musouka

As far as romance goes, the anime is a lot nicer to Tamaki than the manga is. But really, it's anyone's guess, from what I've read.

Spoiler for the author's preference:

I kinda like Tamaki/Haruhi, myself. Guess i'm boring...
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 20:11   Link #115
Ori

Send a message via AIM to Ori
Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka
As far as romance goes, the anime is a lot nicer to Tamaki than the manga is. But really, it's anyone's guess, from what I've read.

I am boring with you, Musouka, and I have to agree on how much nicer the anime is to Tamaki so far.

Spoiler:
Ori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 20:32   Link #116
hi no ken Jebus

Spoiler for ep 2:
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 20:59   Link #117
Miacis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
On this...

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Miacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 21:44   Link #118
Mangaka-chan

Quote:

No way! @#&^$%#@! *spaz and falls to the floor*
Spoiler:
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 22:59   Link #119
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Now I wonder how this pairing is ever going to occur. Oddly enough, these 2 are probably very much alike in that they keep their thoughts to themselves. Doesn't help that the male in this pairing is literally a brick wall, has almost no speaking lines- just exclaimation marks Maybe he hides an aggressive split personality
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-11, 23:43   Link #120
musouka

Keep in mind, that's just what the author likes, not the couple that's going to end up happening. Tamaki/Haruhi has the lion's share of time devoted to it, and BONES seems to be going out of their way to make it even more romantic than the manga.

As an aside, I'm a little annoyed that they seem to have flipped the episode order.
Spoiler:

Last edited by musouka; 2006-04-11 at 23:58.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote