AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-05-31, 17:34   Link #1
mishka

Has there ever been a Hollywood movie based on an anime/manga?

The title pretty much sums it up....I was wondering if there's ever been a hollywood movie based on an anime/manga.
mishka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 17:40   Link #2
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Street Fighter, however it sucked riped a$$ as everyone knows...

If you consider Tranformers anime that movie is about to be out, but if you look at the trailers it seems the movie is about Tyrese fighting robotic aliens ...

And Neon Genesis Evangelion is also being made into a movie however I haven't heard much about the project since I heard it announced a couple of years ago...
Old 2007-05-31, 17:46   Link #3
Diodati
The very united ACROSS

Well New Line Cinema acquired the rights to Naoki Urasawa's Monster. The guy who helped adapt A History of Violence (which is one of the better comic-films of recent years) is involved with the script.

I'm not sure how it will be filmed (as in whether to say it will be 'Hollywoodised' or relatively indie) - however supposedly it will be in english.
Diodati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 19:23   Link #4
jedinat

Parasyte coming in 2008, apparently. One of my favorite manga...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 19:36   Link #5
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

there's the obvious matrix - GITS comparison.

Crying Freeman is one
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:08   Link #6
Ronin Aquila
Sky Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diodati View Post
Well New Line Cinema acquired the rights to Naoki Urasawa's Monster. The guy who helped adapt A History of Violence (which is one of the better comic-films of recent years) is involved with the script.
I hope that they don`t cop out and change the main character from the Japanese man he is into a white guy.
Ronin Aquila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 21:16   Link #7
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

There's James Cameron's Battle Angel Alita movie, purportedly due out late '07/early '08. Apparently Cameron is quite an anime fan himself, so we be in for a surprise.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 22:13   Link #8
-Breakthrough-

Neon Genesis Evangelion and Transformers (2007)
-Breakthrough- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 23:10   Link #9
Melodymix
Ying Yang

Not quite sure if it's true but they might be making Death Note into an American version
Melodymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-31, 23:19   Link #10
mishka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisuke CP9 View Post
Neon Genesis Evangelion and Transformers (2007)
Transformers is an anime?! I never knew!
Old 2007-05-31, 23:41   Link #11
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka
Transformers is an anime?! I never knew!
That's what I thought too. Isn't transformer first originated as an American cartoon then somehow Japanese companies took over?
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 05:50   Link #12
Gaiarth

There was a Fist of the North Star movie a while back.
Gaiarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 09:43   Link #13
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvianWing View Post
That's what I thought too. Isn't transformer first originated as an American cartoon then somehow Japanese companies took over?
Eh... well, the history of transformers is very complicated.

It originated in Japan as a toy-line of products "Diaclone" and "Microman" series from Takara.
They were licensed to US by Hasbro as Transformers, and was made into a cartoon series.

However, the popular "Yuusha" series is not a "rip-off of american cartoon Transformers" like some think.
Yuusha series is ALSO Takara/Tommy sponcer, the creators of the Transformers toyline in the first place. While Transformers enjoyed success in US, Takara also carried on the original Microman toyline.
So you could call the Yuusha series, a culmination of what Takara/Tommy gained from experience with turning transforming robot toys into popular cartoon series, like the Transformers.

Anyways, my point is... Hasbro didn't create the original concept of Transformers, they simply licensed it... and merged the toylines into a single Transformers series. Yes, the cartoon is american made, but the original toys are not american origin. Think of what Streamline did with Robotech, merging three diffrent anime shows into one... but with toys.
So you're right and wrong at the same time.
Transformers cartoon sequels going to Japanese hand isn't being "taking over", it's more like going back to the original hands.

BTW, while Takara/Tommy and Hasbro enjoyed the success of Transformers, Bandai, their rival, created a transforming toy series called Machinerobo, in hopes to compete. They created the popular MachineRobo: Revenge of Chronus anime, where they had the transforming robots fight each other in mecha kung-fu fighting. It was a pretty cool show. This line of toy products also came to US. Just like how Diaclone/Microman became Transformers, machinerobo... was turned into Gobots.
Sadly, Hanna Barbara's cartoon adaptation was... nowhere near the quality of MachineRobo anime, or the american Transformers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaiarth View Post
There was a Fist of the North Star movie a while back.
It was "live action", but I doubt it was "Hollywood"

As for the topic, there are many projects (like the ones mentioned already) in process, but the answer is "no, not yet."
As far as I know, there haven't been any Hollywood adaptation of anime and manga that has come out yet.
VIDEO GAMES on the other hand, obviously, is a diffrent story.
Anything from Super Mario bros to Street Fighter and Resident Evil, there has been many adaptations.

...Unless someone wants to claim Disney to be hollywood, and debate about Simba/Kimba/Nadia/Atlantis/Beat-the-dead-horse-all-over-again.

Last edited by aohige; 2007-06-01 at 09:53.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 21:13   Link #14
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
Oh, so it is something like power rangers and megaman? Thank you, that was very informative.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-01, 22:55   Link #15
mishka

I searched the web for Neon Genesis Evangelion movie...well....there was a FAN-made video, which was quite funny! Does anyone have a link to the real production website?
Old 2007-06-02, 04:51   Link #16
Nergol

The Guyver!!!
Nergol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 07:44   Link #17
Honey_and_Cleaver

Hollywood is too horrible for anime adaptation. IF they do, they should get all their actors revamped plastic surgery making them having bigger eyes further apart and mouth getting smaller,lots of manga hair styles and have all the cutey pose and slim bodies. Get loli actors etc.
Honey_and_Cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 08:04   Link #18
Mr JeburtO

yeah the guyver, dont bother with the first one they tried to make it into a comedy but the second one is great
Mr JeburtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 10:04   Link #19
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishka View Post
I searched the web for Neon Genesis Evangelion movie...well....there was a FAN-made video, which was quite funny! Does anyone have a link to the real production website?
Not much there but I found these.
Weta Workshop (cg effects): http://www.wetaworkshop.co.nz/projec...m/neon_genesis
Concept art: http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=1901

And of course wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Untitle...gelion_Project
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-14, 00:29   Link #20
Pat123

I don't know if a Hollywood production of an anime is such a good idea. Dragonball Evolution, which is such an animal, comes to mind. However, I hear noises of a live-action adaptation of Mai The Psychic Girl by Tim Burton, from time to time.

Among non-Hollywood movies, the live action adaptation of the Girl Who Leapt Through Time was interesting, but almost a completely different story. There is a live-action adaptation of the Parasyte manga released at the end of next month (November 2014). That is from TOHO. Making that as a live-action movie was a real challenge and I'm looking forward to see how they did it. But it is a heck of a spooky story. XD
Pat123 is offline   Reply With Quote