AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-10-31, 22:50   Link #1741
DMurphy

I liked this episode, but there is something very frustrating about seeing Bolin get threatened and/or struggle in fights?

Like, heeeey, Bolin. Did you spend those three years practising that nice new ability that only you have? You did? You are now the most dangerous person in the world, just melt the ground beneath people's feet. In the land of the flightless, the lavabender is king.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-31, 23:50   Link #1742
ellifeedn
Thinker

Bolin is not the type to kill people.
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 01:09   Link #1743
Theo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggelos View Post
Geez talk about character bashing...

Bolin can't seem to get a break in romance OR action screens, and now plot
Perhaps because he still talks like an 8-year-old while everyone else has early 20's level of brainpower.

Durr, "let's hold hands", "you're not really gonna invade aaaaaaaaare yoooooou?"

This "comedy" is really out of place.
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 03:59   Link #1744
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
He has possibly one of the most lethal and powerful bending abilities we've seen so far...still gets his ass captured.
Well perhaps the lethal-ness is the problem though? Like what was just mentioned, he really doesn't seem like the type to kill people, so he probably only uses it as an absolute last resort.
Old 2014-11-01, 04:14   Link #1745
Gintokifan22
Gintoki fan

That's the problem with having a powerful ability, they don't know how to use it properly without making the main character Korra look bad. It's not the first time I've seen this happen in shows with powerful ability's, I don't know if any of you guy's watched the show Heroes but if you saw what they did to poor Peter who had a heart of Gold and wanted to save lives as much as he could with his powers, poor guy was torn to spreads every possible way

I mean, Bolin could just take out Kuriva's entire army with his Lava bending. Heck, maybe even Kuriva herself? All she does is Metal bend right? He'd be able to easy melt her. Than what would Korra do the series final? I'm still questioning why she's needed for this, why Mako should be involved with it. To me this concerns no one else, just the Earth Kingdom let's face it, any one from the outside who's tried to help them in the slightest screws them over big time. Look apt the freakin replacement they had to fill in for the Queen for crying out loud. What had them thinking Kuriva would give up that easy to a guy like him? Tenzin must have taken a stupid pill or some thing, he or Su could have tried to talk some sense into the moron and not bring in Prince Wu like that.

Bolin's skills really improved, seriously I think he could give Korra a run for her money if they faught one another, he'd be able to top Mako for sure now too. I'm really curious what will happen to the poor guy, will he escape before before he makes it to the camp? Or maybe hey'll start a riot at the camp and burn the place down with his lava bending? I don't think Korra will be able to help, she's going to be rescuing Prince Wu next I guess for some reason.

I wonder if Mako will be in the next episode for the subplot like what happened with Asami? He's been absent a lot as of late LOL.

Varrick, always a pleasure.

Edit;

Yah, Bolin is a nice guy. It'd make sense if he was afraid to use that power unless really needed.

Pairings I support : Ed x winry. Ash x Serena. Endou x Natsumi. Ginta x Dorothy fan. Luffy x Hancock. Akito x Yurika fan. Gintoki x Tysuki. Boruto X Sumire.
Gintokifan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 06:16   Link #1746
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
We need a spin off series featuring Toph, Meelo and Varrick with Zhu Lee.
Sign me up. I hope we get more of Meelo and Ikki, at the very least - if they got basically one episode and they're done, I'll be very disappointed.

The Asami thing was a big stumble for me - it had "we have nothing for Asami this season so we'll shoehorn a completely extraneous subplot into this episode" written all over it.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 06:25   Link #1747
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The Asami thing was a big stumble for me - it had "we have nothing for Asami this season so we'll shoehorn a completely extraneous subplot into this episode" written all over it.
I disagree, the issue with her dad had to be resolved and this season is perfect for it because the heroes will need a scientist to do something to combat Kuvira's Death Star super weapon.
Old 2014-11-01, 07:41   Link #1748
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
I disagree, the issue with her dad had to be resolved and this season is perfect for it because the heroes will need a scientist to do something to combat Kuvira's Death Star super weapon.
Time will tell, I suppose. If he doesn't become involved in the larger conflict I'd certainly stand by my assessment.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 07:51   Link #1749
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Actually, wouldn't they need her father more for the development of weapons?
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 12:55   Link #1750
Psyco Diver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Twit View Post
Anyway the Asami part was a nice surprise, since I never would have expected to see her father again. Unfortunate that it had nothing to do with the main plot, but that didn't keep it from giving me the feels.
I think it will have something to do with the plot later I would think, the writers of Avatar have been pretty good with that kinda of stuff in the past

Overall I like this episode, we same some character development for Korra (not wanting to straight up fight for once), Bolin, Varrik (he's got a soul now and I do believe his assistant will save him), and we got some back story on Kuvira. I think Makko will come back with the King, maybe learn a lesson from watching what his people are going through, meet up with Korra and begin some epic ass kicking.

I think this season will be more about setting up for the ending than anything else, I doubt we will see much in the way of side stories. Oh and I think Toph will show up to kick some butt, probably her daughters I think lol
Psyco Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 14:28   Link #1751
DMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
Bolin wasn't the type to kill people. He's been a soldier for, by the looks of things, two years or more. I wouldn't necessarily bet on him not being mentally and emotionally able to not kill people anymore, even if he wouldn't want to.

Latest Review: Psycho-Pass 2 and Legend of Korra
DMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 15:18   Link #1752
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
Bolin wasn't the type to kill people. He's been a soldier for, by the looks of things, two years or more. I wouldn't necessarily bet on him not being mentally and emotionally able to not kill people anymore, even if he wouldn't want to.
That still doesn't mean that he's profficient enough to spam lavabending. And even then, it all depends on his preferences. I mean, we've seen metalbenders who rarely even bend the earth for the past season, so the opposite wouldn't be weird. Especially when despite having adopted a style suitable for Pro-bending, Bolin still kept the know-how of traditional earthbending.
Old 2014-11-01, 17:26   Link #1753
Aggelos
The one whom passes by

Quote:
ANNNDDD that's why the "Re-Education Camp" is one of the plot points for this season.
Kuvira wants to keep Bolin on her side no matter the cost, not because of his way with people
but also due to the potential destructive force of Lava bending...

Bolin may play the damsel in distress or become mind broken pawn depending on if
Korra saves him in time.
Aggelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 18:37   Link #1754
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMurphy View Post
I liked this episode, but there is something very frustrating about seeing Bolin get threatened and/or struggle in fights?

Like, heeeey, Bolin. Did you spend those three years practising that nice new ability that only you have? You did? You are now the most dangerous person in the world, just melt the ground beneath people's feet. In the land of the flightless, the lavabender is king.
Happy I wasn't the only one thinking this. Bolin should be able to take down Kuvira 1v1 no hacks gg hf. No but seriously, I understand he's the clown character, but I thought last season his awakening of lavabending was the road to him being one of the most powerful characters in the show. Seeing him pushed around so easily was pretty annoying.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 19:39   Link #1755
Miraluka
Banned

Aang: .... O_o;;

Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 19:41   Link #1756
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggelos View Post
ANNNDDD that's why the "Re-Education Camp" is one of the plot points for this season.
Kuvira wants to keep Bolin on her side no matter the cost, not because of his way with people
but also due to the potential destructive force of Lava bending...

Bolin may play the damsel in distress or become mind broken pawn depending on if
Korra saves him in time.
Su pretty much made matters worse for Korra by sneaking away. She puts Korra in a tough spot. At the same time I feel like this is partly her fault. She didn't want to lead, yet didn't want Kuvira to do something too. That's rather selfish and hypocrite. No one asked her to be a ruler, if she wanted to she could have formed a temporary council made of representatives of the Earth Nation's provinces, while she rettains a seat as representative of Xao Fu and acts as an advisor of sorts. She could have offered help to restore damaged structures, or even renovate them and improve the infrastructure like Asami did. She and her metalbenders could have searched for new potential metalbenders/earthbenders and instruct them in order to form a stable police fore that could coöperate with the air nomads. I mean, where did the Dai Li suddenly go to? Being hands-off with everything is not always the solution. Even then she could have chosen to "unite" with another province by starting an economic alliance. If the other notice that things are better at the other side, they will want in on the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Happy I wasn't the only one thinking this. Bolin should be able to take down Kuvira 1v1 no hacks gg hf. No but seriously, I understand he's the clown character, but I thought last season his awakening of lavabending was the road to him being one of the most powerful characters in the show. Seeing him pushed around so easily was pretty annoying.
We've seen her metalbending, she would win. We don't have any reason to believe that Bolin has surpassed Ghazan, or even reached a level of mastery, in lavabending. He can't bend lava as good as his other earthbending skills (I still hope he learns to bend sand mud and lava. I feel like this avatar series lacks Avatar level benders).

Not only that, she's the main villain (until proven otherwise). That means that she's got hype on her side. I mean look at Zaheer. Becomes an airbender and suddenly he's great enough to fodderize members of the white lotus (who really weren't like master Pakku and co.) and cause major trouble to people who are relatively strong benders.

In terms of inovation, why didn't Zaofu use water- and firebenders? You could crate some good powerplants, architect some good sewer systems, refrigerators, etc.
Old 2014-11-01, 19:52   Link #1757
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post

Aang: .... O_o;;

anarchy*

and lol 2 CHAINSSSSS
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 22:02   Link #1758
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
Su pretty much made matters worse for Korra by sneaking away. She puts Korra in a tough spot. At the same time I feel like this is partly her fault. She didn't want to lead, yet didn't want Kuvira to do something too. That's rather selfish and hypocrite. No one asked her to be a ruler, if she wanted to she could have formed a temporary council made of representatives of the Earth Nation's provinces, while she rettains a seat as representative of Xao Fu and acts as an advisor of sorts. She could have offered help to restore damaged structures, or even renovate them and improve the infrastructure like Asami did. She and her metalbenders could have searched for new potential metalbenders/earthbenders and instruct them in order to form a stable police fore that could coöperate with the air nomads. I mean, where did the Dai Li suddenly go to? Being hands-off with everything is not always the solution. Even then she could have chosen to "unite" with another province by starting an economic alliance. If the other notice that things are better at the other side, they will want in on the deal.

We've seen her metalbending, she would win. We don't have any reason to believe that Bolin has surpassed Ghazan, or even reached a level of mastery, in lavabending. He can't bend lava as good as his other earthbending skills (I still hope he learns to bend sand mud and lava. I feel like this avatar series lacks Avatar level benders).

Not only that, she's the main villain (until proven otherwise). That means that she's got hype on her side. I mean look at Zaheer. Becomes an airbender and suddenly he's great enough to fodderize members of the white lotus (who really weren't like master Pakku and co.) and cause major trouble to people who are relatively strong benders.

In terms of inovation, why didn't Zaofu use water- and firebenders? You could crate some good powerplants, architect some good sewer systems, refrigerators, etc.
Basically, lavabending is more powerful than metalbending imo, but yeah, I'm not saying she couldn't just force choke Bolin with the metal shoulder pads like she did Varrick... but... he could open a rift of lava beneath her feet in that confined room. That's game over.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-11-01, 22:17   Link #1759
CatRules
Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
Agreed, Kuvera isn't the only 'Extremist' of this LoK season. Su didn't listen to other, didn't do anything for the needy Earth people, and went as far as trying to assassinate Kuvera(heck, she even ask Korra to destroy the empire!). After watching this episode, I come to understand why Kuvera become a dictator. Like mother, like daughter, right?
Old 2014-11-01, 22:34   Link #1760
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Basically, lavabending is more powerful than metalbending imo, but yeah, I'm not saying she couldn't just force choke Bolin with the metal shoulder pads like she did Varrick... but... he could open a rift of lava beneath her feet in that confined room. That's game over.
Considering the type of person he is, I think in such a case Bolin might be too distracted by the lack of air to even think of doing such a high level bending.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar the last airbender, korra