Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2014-12-08, 23:14   Link #1701
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisu View Post
I am getting a higurashi comic which I will share it when I get it~♥
Ooh, it's so pretty! Is it in color? (Probably not, but I can hope!)
Old 2014-12-08, 23:17   Link #1702
fireflight

Quote:
I am better at voiced lines than kanji as well, I have been too laxed lately so at best all I can be is a proofer. Other projects have been taking my time, and I am stuck on drawing something atm which frustrates me to no end.

If I want to see another Higurashi, it would be Natsumi's chapter animated or even live action movie of it. That chapter is something a live movie would actually be pull off.

Heroine chronicles should be next week, I start posting vids and explain it so others could play.
I am getting a higurashi comic which I will share it when I get it~♥

I still recommend people to try Higurashi Jan.
Is that an official illustration book or a doujin? I have the anime "Visual Complete Guide" and ordered the manga Art Record off Mandarake a week ago, but I haven't seen your book on the aftermarket yet.

I doubt I'll ever try Jan, but the Youtube play-throughs are just epic. Top-notch voice acting coupled with an Oyashiro mode, a mascot chibi Keiichi, as well as Rika's dramatic poses make it interesting to watch.
However, the character designs are still putting me off. Code Geass has some nice artwork and all, but that style doesn't go too well with Higurashi.
fireflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 00:55   Link #1703
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

Quote:
If I want to see another Higurashi, it would be Natsumi's chapter animated or even live action movie of it. That chapter is something a live movie would actually be pull off.
I agree on the live action.
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Shikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 05:47   Link #1704
baratomaya

Hey there!

I'm BaratoMaya, the translator of 'When they Translate'. I'm currently translating Watanagashi-hen for the Japanese sound novel so people can read the arc with the original music, but I'm also patching GuraGuraMan's Matsuri Port so that'll have an English translation as well as be fully voiced.

Currently, I'm about halfway through Watanagashi-hen and I have just started on the Matsuri port:

http://i.imgur.com/ZpPbmBy.png
http://i.imgur.com/eDJJexw.png
http://i.imgur.com/7i7UPxj.png

I've also translated a PS2-only scene between Mion and Keiichi at the beginning of Onikakushi, so I could still use the voices rather than have the original dialogue be in silence compared to the rest.

I don't want to give an estimate when this will be done (It's going slow due to inserting the dialogue, plus my job can get really demanding), but I'm working on it.

Okay, that out of the way, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Steam release of Onikakushi-hen. The sprites aren't too bad either.
baratomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 06:00   Link #1705
GrAVit

Quote:
Originally Posted by baratomaya View Post
Hey there!

I'm BaratoMaya, the translator of 'When they Translate'. I'm currently translating Watanagashi-hen for the Japanese sound novel so people can read the arc with the original music, but I'm also patching GuraGuraMan's Matsuri Port so that'll have an English translation as well as be fully voiced.

Currently, I'm about halfway through Watanagashi-hen and I have just started on the Matsuri port:

http://i.imgur.com/ZpPbmBy.png
http://i.imgur.com/eDJJexw.png
http://i.imgur.com/7i7UPxj.png

I've also translated a PS2-only scene between Mion and Keiichi at the beginning of Onikakushi, so I could still use the voices rather than have the original dialogue be in silence compared to the rest.

I don't want to give an estimate when this will be done (It's going slow due to inserting the dialogue, plus my job can get really demanding), but I'm working on it.

Okay, that out of the way, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Steam release of Onikakushi-hen. The sprites aren't too bad either.
Oh hey, I remember reading a bit of your Onikakushi-hen and I thought it was really well made! I especially like the added voice acting and CGs.
Though I had trouble finding an original Japanese version of the game, so I had to resort to using the demo instead.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 10:33   Link #1706
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I know some people who've read the Umineko novels, and apparently they're kind of just the text dumped into a book. There's no changes in the plot, however there is a ton of extra text, just because they have to describe the characters and settings and sounds, instead of letting the FX and art speak for themselves. (There is, however, a lot of brand new gorgeous artwork.) As for looking into Matsuri, that would be great but I don't have especially high hopes given that it's a PS2 game with branching and paths and stuff. It'd be nice to port it to a PC engine, but it would probably also be really difficult to do well. Anyway, I hope Sui gets licensed, but since it probably won't it might motivate me to start learning Japanese soon.
Unlikely Sui ever will, there's just too much work needed, and a company doesn't want to release a game two years or more after they finish translating it. Especially since it's on the PS3, a soon to be dead system in years to come. About the novels, I guess the extra description is a given, but I would prefer it if they gave it off to a different writer and let him do his thing, as it's more the same as it is.

Quote:
Do you plan on making the translation available as a patch? I find reading through it much more comfortable than watching, but I'll probably just watch your videos if it comes down to it.
Well, I'm just uploading video's for now but that's not how I'll release it. Those are really just a test as it helps me spot errors and mistakes I made so the actual thing will have slight differences, anyway about a release, that'll be when the arc I'm working on is done and the errors are fixed. Should be before the end of this year or early next, don't really know though. But, I'll make two releases. The first, which is be the one I said, and the second will have all the images, menu's, long credits listings and such translated. Or, it depends on how you guys want it. Would you rather wait until the entire thing is done and fixed up or get the two releases I mentioned?

Quote:
Hey there!

Noticed you guys a few months back, nice work your doing. But I have my doubts about the Matsuri port, Gura has been doing that for years so expect to do the same for an English version. It's a lot of work, so the best of luck.
xPearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 10:52   Link #1707
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
Unlikely Sui ever will, there's just too much work needed, and a company doesn't want to release a game two years or more after they finish translating it. Especially since it's on the PS3, a soon to be dead system in years to come. About the novels, I guess the extra description is a given, but I would prefer it if they gave it off to a different writer and let him do his thing, as it's more the same as it is.
Umineko's novels are actually done by two authors, Ryukishi and somebody named Keiya, though I'm not sure what Keiya adds to it... Anyway, Ryukishi writes all his own Light Novel adaptations. I doubt Higurashi's light novels add anything new to the table, but rather serves as a way for fans to experience the story even if they don't play video games. I actually like that they exist, and, if I ever do learn Japanese, want to try and collect all of his Light Novels.

Quote:
Well, I'm just uploading video's for now but that's not how I'll release it. Those are really just a test as it helps me spot errors and mistakes I made so the actual thing will have slight differences, anyway about a release, that'll be when the arc I'm working on is done and the errors are fixed. Should be before the end of this year or early next, don't really know though. But, I'll make two releases. The first, which is be the one I said, and the second will have all the images, menu's, long credits listings and such translated. Or, it depends on how you guys want it. Would you rather wait until the entire thing is done and fixed up or get the two releases I mentioned?
Hmmm. I'd like it to be fully translated, but I also feel kind of impatient... Guess that doesn't help much? Sorry. I suppose just do what would come naturally to you, or what would be easier. You're the one doing the translation!
Old 2014-12-09, 12:06   Link #1708
xPearse

Quote:
Hmmm. I'd like it to be fully translated, but I also feel kind of impatient... Guess that doesn't help much? Sorry. I suppose just do what would come naturally to you, or what would be easier. You're the one doing the translation!
That's what I was thinking, but I just wanted to see how others would want it to be released.

Anyhow, mangagamer answered this on their askfm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaGamer View Post
How much are you planning to charge for the upcoming steam release of Higurashi?
We'll be charging $5.95 for Onikakushi as an introductory rate to the series' first chapter. Chapters following (Watanagashi, etc.) are currently scheduled to be priced at $7.95 each.
http://ask.fm/MangaGamerStaff/answer/118273220594

So now we have the price, and that's about £5 an arc for me which isn't too bad. But that'll tally up to near £40 for all 8, which then makes me roll my eyes since it's a visual novel.
xPearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 12:31   Link #1709
baratomaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
Oh hey, I remember reading a bit of your Onikakushi-hen and I thought it was really well made! I especially like the added voice acting and CGs.
Though I had trouble finding an original Japanese version of the game, so I had to resort to using the demo instead.
Oh, are you talking about the alternate PS2-only scene? The one where Keiichi makes too much fun of Mion and pisses Rena?
But anyway, thank you! I'm glad you like it and I can only hope you like the patch for Watanagashi-hen when I release it - hopefully next year.

Quote:
Noticed you guys a few months back, nice work your doing. But I have my doubts about the Matsuri port, Gura has been doing that for years so expect to do the same for an English version. It's a lot of work, so the best of luck.
Thank you! I understand you for having your doubts, but, in a way I prefer that. I'd rather release an amazing patch when people aren't expecting it then rush it and give something sub-par. Thanks for the support!

Quote:
So now we have the price, and that's about £5 an arc for me which isn't too bad. But that'll tally up to near £40 for all 8, which then makes me roll my eyes since it's a visual novel.
For me, I think I'll wait until I hear how the translation is. I still have my doubts, to be honest. I was comparing this:

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/st...g?t=1417758892

with the one by Sonozaki Futagotachi, and honestly, the Twins' one is still more accurate. But, I don't want to be nickpicky here, it's still miles better than the first one they did, that's for sure!

I'm guessing MG's new release will still have the same music, right?
Old 2014-12-09, 13:43   Link #1710
07th

Quote:
For me, I think I'll wait until I hear how the translation is. I still have my doubts, to be honest. I was comparing this:

with the one by Sonozaki Futagotachi, and honestly, the Twins' one is still more accurate. But, I don't want to be nickpicky here, it's still miles better than the first one they did, that's for sure!
And Sonozaki sisters' translation is still off from the original by a great deal (especially in that first day of Watanagashi, which became their last). Although i doubt i would make a better one if i was in their conditions, including the year they made it and having the same Japanese skills, working capacity and time.

And the translation on that first screenshot from Onikakushi (http://i.imgur.com/ZpPbmBy.png)... well, i just hope the translator doesn't let his imagination run wild at least at important moments, otherwise the chances are big it'll turn out to be as far from the original as would the translation with all the flaws previous translations had combined would be (i wonder why this could even be considered a correct grammatic structure in English).

By the way, i myself think the new MG's translation is really good, actually. I've seen an another screenshot of that first scene with Rena, and the translation was top notch.

Last edited by 07th; 2014-12-10 at 12:11.
07th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 13:52   Link #1711
chaos_alfa

Quote:

I'm guessing MG's new release will still have the same music, right?
It seems the screenshots on Higurashi's Steam page where taken prior to the editing pass. They aren't a good measurement of the quality of the translation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ask.fm/The_Doddler/answer/120872750321
There is a spelling error in one of those screenshots on the steam page. Quote worrying, please tell me the screenshots are really old and haven't been polished when it was taken.
Ah yeah, the screenshot was taken prior to the editing pass, that line has actually already been fixed. We'll need to correct the screenshot on steam.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 13:57   Link #1712
baratomaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
It seems the screenshots on Higurashi's Steam page are from before the editing phase. They aren't a good measurement of the quality of the translation.
It is? That's pretty reassuring. But, like I said, it's way better than the previous one. I'll probably buy it anyway, if only to replace the old one and get the new graphics, hehe.
Old 2014-12-10, 05:19   Link #1713
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
Anyhow, mangagamer answered this on their askfm.

http://ask.fm/MangaGamerStaff/answer/118273220594

Nice to see that we have a price. That's pretty reasonable for me to say the least. Then again I bought the hardcopies at a con from the mangagamer booth two years ago for $25 & $35 if I recall correctly.

Only thing I don't like about the packaging was that there was cracks in the Kai cases, like all of them had cracks.

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura

Last edited by Katsu Koneko; 2014-12-10 at 05:47.
Katsu Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 10:46   Link #1714
TheGuraGuraMan

Damn, I've contributed to the wikia of Higurashi quite a lot for a few arcs, and now I recieve a message from the admin calling me a pedophile and banning me, without even a way for me to discuss about this, that's so great.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 11:25   Link #1715
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Then take back all your resources, you gave them Hanyuu sprites and other stuff, right?
Levani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-10, 11:32   Link #1716
TheGuraGuraMan

I can't do anything on the wikia anymore, even less removing something that they could easily get back.
That would be stupid anyway, not like the wikia itself is at fault. And frankly, I don't even think I ever talked to this admin after all those years, that's how she must be active.

Last edited by TheGuraGuraMan; 2014-12-10 at 11:44.
Old 2014-12-10, 11:36   Link #1717
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

This is so wrong on so many levels. You get banned on a site where you haven't even talked about this. That admin should stop abusing his power and be more objective. If he finds the attitude you have offensive, he could have simply told you and warned you, even threatening is better but banning? That person is out of his mind and I pity him for being so childish. I guess this is his way of getting back at you for posting about Satoko's stupid issue on this site, or your joke on tumblr which went out of hand. Childish fool.

Pisses me off. At least now you know that you should be careful on what you say, especially on tumblr.

This is it, I'm off this forum for good. It was nice knowing you all, if you wish to contact me but I doubt you will, I'm always on Umitweak.
Old 2014-12-10, 11:44   Link #1718
TheGuraGuraMan

Oh... well. Her wikia account also give the name of her Tumblr one :

Thebiggesthigurashi... also the first one who raged like mad at my post joke and took it seriously, thus spreading it with a "he's serious" comment attached (so in a way, she's the one responsible)

Holy cow really ? How come someone like that can be an admin ? I also found this on her Wikia page :

Quote:
I do not excuse discussion of the rampant underage fanservice in Higurashi.

If I find you excusing it because it's fictional/Ryukishi07 did it/Alchemist did it/The anime directors did it/etc. - you will be banned.

If you can't understand that the standards for sexualization of minors are even harsher in the east than in the west except in the otaku subculture, then you are too deep into said subculture from a western standpoint. For one Japan's government has been in turmoil and had to deal with other disasters such as typhoons, earthquakes, nuclear meltdowns, et cetera and from 2000-2010 no PM stayed in office long enough to deal with anything explicitly political and necessary.

This is why it hasn't been until this year that child pornography was banned. No PM has had the time to do so. Illustrated child pornography/eroticism has not been banned yet for the same reason - no PM wants to get into a fight with the anime industry. Not because the anime industry has a large influence. Steel does, anime does not. The anime industry is not worth their time and the otaku subculture is generally looked down upon - if any society had a distinct subculture where fictional child pornography and eroticism was commonly accepted and encouraged, it isn't unexpected that the subculture would be regarded with disdain.

Believing that the east is more "accepting" of fictional child pornography/eroticism is a myth perpetuated by vocal otaku who don't wish to see lolicon/shotacon disappear. The Japanese are not "more accepting". If you can understand that the overall atmosphere of their culture is conservative in nature, then you should be able to understand why fictional fanservice of minors is not accepted as common.

If you can't understand why fictional depictions of pornography/eroticism of minors is inappropriate and should be illegal, you need to leave the wiki.

If you get banned for defending fictional depictions of pornography/eroticism of minors, and I find out you are complaining about it on /jp/ or such, I will permanently ban you.

This is intolerable behavior and unprofessional.

Not to mention disgusting.
FXTreme may be what he is, he still doesn't have anything more than talking, and I doubt he would go that far, but this...

Pretty sure she like just came back on the wikia to ban me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
This is it, I'm off this forum for good. It was nice knowing you all, if you wish to contact me but I doubt you will, I'm always on Umitweak.

Hey, that's not even related to this forum, you don't have to leave because of something like that.
Old 2014-12-10, 11:51   Link #1719
Levani
貴方が私のマスターか?

Quote:
Hey, that's not even related to this forum, you don't have to leave because of something like that.
I can't involve myself in a fandom who checks you out on another forums, then bans you in their community for disagreeing with you. I'm honestly afraid of these kind of people.
Old 2014-12-10, 11:55   Link #1720
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levani View Post
I can't involve myself in a fandom who checks you out on another forums, then bans you in their community for disagreeing with you. I'm honestly afraid of these kind of people.

Well, not like there are many people of this level, even less on this forum where it's pretty tame, even FXtreme said he was gonna stop spamming the Satoko subject for now. It's clearly the best english place to talk about the serie.