Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2014-12-15, 12:32   Link #1781
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
Eww, I never knew the original translation was that bad. They more or less just write whatever they wanted too rather than have it literal. And note in the new translation they left out Rena's name in the dodging jabs line, the new one's just gonna be as bad as the original. Sigh. They're making me look legit.
They're retranslating it for a reason. Also, am I missing something? Referring to Rena as "her" in this situation seems like pretty natural phrasing, and doesn't change the meaning. Is this a sort of translation taboo? When I PR manga, I actually change pronouns to make the dialogue more natural fairly often- was that something bad? And why?
Old 2014-12-15, 13:41   Link #1782
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
They're retranslating it for a reason. Also, am I missing something? Referring to Rena as "her" in this situation seems like pretty natural phrasing, and doesn't change the meaning. Is this a sort of translation taboo? When I PR manga, I actually change pronouns to make the dialogue more natural fairly often- was that something bad? And why?
Well, that generally depends from person to person, but if they say Rena, I always put it in as Rena and not her. I know it may sound awkward but that's Japanese for you, anyway, what you do may make it flow better but in the end this all depends on the translator if they want a literal translation or not so I wouldn't say it's wrong, just preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXtreme View Post
What? Everyone wants to see Satoko get payback.

I've mentioned the other characters too. It's the MangaGamer thing that made me talk about Satoko specifically.

About that, do you have any ideas as to how I could bring more attention to this?
http://mangagamertreatmentofsatoko.t...his-mangagamer
I'm running a little low on ideas. An anon recently told me that I could post under feminism or activism tags, but I'm not sure exactly where to go from here.
Feminism, I got a good laugh out of that one. Anyway, you've probably already exhausted most of your idea's, so I don't really have any, sorry. But, I guess just write up one "big" analysis of "all" the sexualized sprites and why they are, also comparing them to previous versions.

Anyway, I picked a font for the Hou credits and I say it looks fairly good. Look see.
Spoiler:
xPearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-15, 13:58   Link #1783
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Come on, feminism could be fitting if you think about how sexist they're being.
Not sure it counts as sexist. They made Tommy look like a tank and drew strange unwanted attention to Irie's crotch. I get the feeling Keiichi and Satoshi are going to be bishounen as all get out.
Old 2014-12-15, 15:04   Link #1784
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me of Irie...

Does the artist have no control?

I still think there's too much unnecessary female sexualization to not call it sexist.
I don't equate sexualization to sexism. I only feel like sexualization is sexist when it boils the characters down solely to their bodies and ignoring any other aspects of their character- and it has to only be done to the female characters. I don't think this counts, considering the new and improved translation that should even further demonstrate the depth of the characters.

Also, I don't consider feminism to be complaining about anime games you think are being made to sexy. I consider it to be fighting for the rights of women who have none.
Old 2014-12-15, 15:22   Link #1785
xPearse

Quote:
Come on, feminism could be fitting if you think about how sexist they're being.

You know you can bold or italicize to emphasize things rather than using quotes. Quotes imply something else.
Well, maybe. And, I'm just kinda lazy so use the quotation on my keyboard since it's quicker than clicking the bold or italic. Sorry if that was annoying.

Anyway, does anyone know how to create an arc file? Because I'm trying the tools off Uncle Mion and I'm not getting anywhere, help. Ok, all I've tried is dragging them onto the batch/exe but that seemed to work for extracting stuff so I just thought the same would work here. And, I don't know how to use command prompt so yea. Anyone?

Edit
Solved, found something else to create an arc file and it worked. Although I'm unsure about the text, as it had to be small to fit in, but it's looking kinda ugly. Feedback please.
Spoiler:

Last edited by xPearse; 2014-12-15 at 16:38.
Old 2014-12-15, 15:33   Link #1786
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

I think it's because of Chaos;Head's anime op that I just hate Itō Kanako's voice and find it annoying. I cant even listen to any of the Stains;Gate songs if shes doing the vocals after watching Chaos;Head. The only Itō Kanako song I can tolerate would have to be Kizuna 1's op song. I know I shouldn't judge a song before the full ver comes out but Itō Kanako just sounds terrible.
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Shikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-15, 17:38   Link #1787
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikou View Post
I think it's because of Chaos;Head's anime op that I just hate Itō Kanako's voice and find it annoying. I cant even listen to any of the Stains;Gate songs if shes doing the vocals after watching Chaos;Head. The only Itō Kanako song I can tolerate would have to be Kizuna 1's op song. I know I shouldn't judge a song before the full ver comes out but Itō Kanako just sounds terrible.
...I... ...adore her music...
Old 2014-12-15, 17:42   Link #1788
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
...I... ...adore her music...
Im sorry that I inserted another a silver blade on to your back D:
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Old 2014-12-15, 18:33   Link #1789
LAMBDADELTO

i just got the original japanesse higurashi novels to work now i have higurashi, kai and rei original jap vns.

i tried to install guragura's patch but it didn't work for the jap vn u.u
LAMBDADELTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-15, 19:18   Link #1790
baratomaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMBDADELTO View Post
i just got the original japanesse higurashi novels to work now i have higurashi, kai and rei original jap vns.

i tried to install guragura's patch but it didn't work for the jap vn u.u
I'm afraid GuraGuraMan's patch only works on the French VNs.

But, don't worry. I'm currently translating the original Japanese VNs and am halfway through Watanagashi-hen. I'm also putting my translation and a voice patch onto GuraGuraMan's one too.
baratomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-15, 19:37   Link #1791
GrAVit

Well, I for one think that the new translation seems good.
I don't think you can judge an entire translation just because they left out Rena's name and replaced it with "her".
I feel like it's more natural this way, anyway. I can also see that they use more complex vocabulary, which I think will be a lot more pleasant to read.
Also thank god for the new font, looks like a million times better.
GrAVit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-15, 19:46   Link #1792
TheGuraGuraMan

Quote:
"but Itō Kanako just sounds terrible."

If that was a VN with choices, you would already have hit a Bad End, think about it next time. And not a simple Dead End, but this kind of Bad End :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RM...787BE2#t=2m41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by baratomaya View Post
I'm afraid GuraGuraMan's patch only works on the French VNs.

But, don't worry. I'm currently translating the original Japanese VNs and am halfway through Watanagashi-hen. I'm also putting my translation and a voice patch onto GuraGuraMan's one too.
Well, theorically no. After all the french edition is almost the same as the Japanese one. And since everything is remade, the only files used from the vanilla are the musics and some graphic effects images, so should work with a jp copy.
TheGuraGuraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-15, 19:49   Link #1793
baratomaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuraGuraMan View Post
"but Itō Kanako just sounds terrible."

Well, theorically no. After all the french edition is almost the same as the Japanese one. And since everything is remade, the only files used from the vanilla are the musics and some graphic effects images, so should work with a jp copy.
Really? I had no idea. That's pretty awesome, I thought it would only work with the French version!
baratomaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-15, 20:18   Link #1794
Shikou
ex-Hinamizawa Resident

Apparently Im a casual to GuraMan for not liking a Japanese artist. Remind me not to share my options cuz look where that got me last time D:
PS3 0/2 PSP cancelled
Old 2014-12-15, 20:41   Link #1795
Mr. Dent
A Rather Brillig Ember

Quote:
Apparently Im a casual to GuraMan for not liking a Japanese artist. Remind me not to share my options cuz look where that got me last time D:
I don't feel like anyone posting on a thread for a Visual Novel that ended 8 years ago could count as a casual... (Dunno why I'm standing up for this backstabber.)
Old 2014-12-16, 00:09   Link #1796
LAMBDADELTO

omg yaaaaay i would like to see that
LAMBDADELTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-16, 13:55   Link #1797
xPearse

Finally got it right, after many attempts might I add.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Old 2014-12-16, 15:38   Link #1798
GrAVit

Might wanna take a look at the comma usage there, otherwise fine!
Old 2014-12-16, 16:16   Link #1799
xPearse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrAVit View Post
Might wanna take a look at the comma usage there, otherwise fine!
Well, the JP text had the commas so that's why it's like that. Same goes for the characters dialogue, although I removed or added them sometimes when it sounded too robotic.
Old 2014-12-16, 16:30   Link #1800
GrAVit

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPearse View Post
Well, the JP text had the commas so that's why it's like that. Same goes for the characters dialogue, although I removed or added them sometimes when it sounded too robotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/3786/usage-of-commas-in-japanese-sentences
The symbol “、” is called 読点とうてん. It is used to denote a semantic separation or a pause. Compared to comma in English, the usage of 読点 in Japanese is less governed by the grammatical rules. In other words, in Japanese, the author is free to use or not to use 読点 in any place where a separation makes sense.
But this does not apply to English, which makes it really awkward to read.