bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Well a final charge is a death flag.

And having an opponent whose name is Gilgamesh
Old 2013-06-04, 18:47   Link #43
Joyce_Steele
Banned

In shoujo if the heroine's ambition is to have a boyfriend, it is enough for me to press the 'go back one page' button.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-04, 20:35   Link #44
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce_Steele View Post
In shoujo if the heroine's ambition is to have a boyfriend, it is enough for me to press the 'go back one page' button.
"One day I'm going to be in love and get married and be happy!"
Translation: "One day I want to be a corpse!"

By the way, the battlefield is not a place to try and save people. Specifically, not your enemies. It's also not the place to grow up by stealing military tech and charging in (if it doesn't kill you, it'll kill someone who has to save you).
Old 2013-06-04, 21:44   Link #45
Joyce_Steele
Banned

Actually not all shoujo have that and in fact some of my favorites don't have 'boyfriend' issues like most popular shoujo ones. Princess Nine was good because the heroine's ambition is to become a baseball ace and a good baseball team, not looking for romanctic interest. In Marimite the heroine is looking for a place in a sisterhood, not a boyfriend.

Unfortunately these shows are ignored just because it lack what most shoujo shows are famous for, romance. A shoujo without romance is much like a shounen without action and adventure.
Joyce_Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 06:19   Link #46
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Appear in a sequel or a "flash-forward" and you are invincible in any chronologically earlier parts. I call it "Space-Time-Armor" and it is the only Armor that is stronger than Plot-Armor.

...Aside from series with different "timelines"... then you may still be screwed.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2013-06-06 at 09:15.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 09:11   Link #47
RWBladewing
Salt Levels Critical

Any member of a team of minor named characters dying is often a death flag for the entire rest of that team. In some especially poorly-done cases (like each member being in a different place facing a different situation but still managing to be systematically wiped out over the course of a single episode) it doesn't even feel believable and seems more like they just had to die for symmetry's sake.
RWBladewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 13:35   Link #48
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traece View Post
\
The problem with this is that normally the death is the intention. Very rarely does a character cover a retreat and intend to actually survive. It's a delay to the death for the sake of a successful withdraw.

Also, while it may not necessarily be a death flag, running into battle after some sort of traumatic experience or because you're so blindly angry will end with you getting royally destroyed. It's so very rare that a character actually wins after initiating with a blind rage.

Due to more recent events, I also have to point out that in more gritty or realistic settings, being an inept civilian and hiding yourself in any way on a battlefield or a soon-to-be battlefield will result in you being dead.

Oh, and I'm sure it's been said, but don't ever give anyone anything. Ever. Sentimental or otherwise. In fact, just don't talk to people, because then you might actually survive to the end of the series.

Of course my favorite advice for avoiding death flags: Don't be unimportant.
Which is why Madoka gets so much attention. Nobody expect yellow ranger to lose her head so soon even through her death flag (in hindsight) was raise.
Old 2013-06-06, 18:08   Link #49
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Which is why Madoka gets so much attention. Nobody expect [...]
Put Spoilers into DAMN SPOILERTAGS! I planned to watch madoka... thank you very much.... I already heard that that "gen" guy or whatever he is called likes to kill off characters, but man...
I am not joking... just 5 minutes ago I really was thinking "hey i guess I finally watch Madoka tomorrow".

EDIT: I have to ragewatch Madoka now... just remember to put spoilertags next time. Well... time for an all nighter to get all episodes down in one go
EDIT2: Well that was fast... now its 6am in the morning, pfft, good that I don't have anything to do this morning... but still: finished

Last edited by GreyZone; 2013-06-06 at 23:34. Reason: Well, whatever...
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 20:06   Link #50
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post

and unless I skimmed over it, I'm surprised the Pineapple Salad (I think it was a salad, at least) wasn't mentioned.
Because it's specific to the Macross series, and a "sub-flag" of the "I gonna cook you/myself this dish after battle" family of death flags. As bonus, it makes you Macross-savvy when someone mention "pineapple *something*" in a Macross series.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 17:44   Link #51
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
Put Spoilers into DAMN SPOILERTAGS! I planned to watch madoka... thank you very much.... I already heard that that "gen" guy or whatever he is called likes to kill off characters, but man...
I am not joking... just 5 minutes ago I really was thinking "hey i guess I finally watch Madoka tomorrow".

EDIT: I have to ragewatch Madoka now... just remember to put spoilertags next time. Well... time for an all nighter to get all episodes down in one go
EDIT2: Well that was fast... now its 6am in the morning, pfft, good that I don't have anything to do this morning... but still: finished
But this forum is about deaths in anime and spoilers should be expected. If not, it would mean putting tags in everthing.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 21:41   Link #52
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
But this forum is about deaths in anime and spoilers should be expected. If not, it would mean putting tags in everthing.
you can either say such things in a more "general way", without alluding to a series, or AT LEAST not say WHO dies... or you say everything but use a spoiler tag. It isn't so hard...
Old 2013-06-07, 22:28   Link #53
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

I already said several spoilers with a comment. Already the first comments had spoilers.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-09, 02:48   Link #54
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
He's named Urobutcher for a reason.
AKA Gurobuchi
Old 2014-12-11, 14:47   Link #55
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

"Death Flags". I wonder how they came to be... does it make sense to foreshadow someone's death in such an obvious way?

That's THE (only) thing I like about Akame ga Kill (manga version, as I didn't see the anime past EP5). It throws around so many death flags that they become meaningless. People die randomly anyway. One Piece does something similar in a different way. Death Flags do not matter there because in the whole series only very very rarely people get killed (though people in flashbacks tend to die frequently).

The Visual Novel of Umineko no naku Koro Ni (Alliance of the Golden Witch) even joked about death flags by having a character win a fist fight against someone else who is 20 times stronger, because the supposedly stronger person just before the fight released about every possible death flag in existence (with a counter for the # of DFs as well of course).
Old 2014-12-13, 18:54   Link #56
Tenzen12

It's not just these, death flags in genereal are almost never played perfectly straight anymore (at least not obvious ones) in any other genre than mecha.
Old 2014-12-20, 05:40   Link #57
ikramit

If you happen to be associated with a hawk and you see an eclipse taking place run away as fast as your legs an take you

Last edited by ikramit; 2014-12-20 at 05:54.
ikramit is offline   Reply With Quote