AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-12-21, 05:15   Link #1
typo
Happy as you are

Any games that make you a merchant?

Please! I've been looking all over for these kinds of games.
typo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 05:19   Link #2
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Dota 2, or any game of steam that use items of store
Old 2014-12-21, 05:24   Link #3
typo
Happy as you are

When I say merchant, I mean a person who goes around the world and sell stuff.
Not a person who goes around and kills everyone for a living. (DOTA 2)
Old 2014-12-21, 05:30   Link #4
Xacual

Recettear has you play as a shop keeper. There's some dungeon crawling involved with you hiring adventurers to go into dungeons with you to gather stuff to sell. Or you can just play the markets in town and sell stuff at a markup. There's haggling, customer satisfaction and other mechanics involved too.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 05:42   Link #5
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Port Royale Series, East India Company, Patrician series, Rise of Venice, X series. Even Spore has it.

Just go install Steam and look for these titles.
Old 2014-12-21, 05:43   Link #6
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by typo View Post
Please! I've been looking all over for these kinds of games.
Eve Online. Just look at articles about wars started by or won on economy.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-21, 07:10   Link #7
Princess Angels
Ur # 1 Girl

so you want to know any games that you can trade or like "game sharing"??
Old 2014-12-21, 11:59   Link #8
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
Recettear has you play as a shop keeper. There's some dungeon crawling involved with you hiring adventurers to go into dungeons with you to gather stuff to sell. Or you can just play the markets in town and sell stuff at a markup. There's haggling, customer satisfaction and other mechanics involved too.
I second Recettear, if you want to feel like a merchant then this is a good example.
Old 2014-12-21, 17:38   Link #9
typo
Happy as you are

Reccetear? I'll try this one out.
Anymore suggestions? Oh and By the way, If any of you would recommend rune factory,
I've already played it. And I loved it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
I second Recettear, if you want to feel like a merchant then this is a good example.
Would you be able to play this game as a guy? Please answer!

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2014-12-21 at 19:32.
Old 2014-12-21, 23:56   Link #10
VDZ

The Universal is the most merchant-y game I've played, though it'll go down for some time starting right after New Year's for development. It consists of space and planets; in space you can fly around, buy stuff at station A to sell at station B, and there's some combat too. On planets gameplay can vary widely, but the typical planet is a player-run economy where players build buildings that produce items, but due to workers being required and a limit on number of buildings per player, players will have to work together to keep a complete economy running, and usually (though not always) it all works out naturally. However, it's very player-dependent and player numbers are often low, so sometimes it works out better than at other times.

EVE Online is the usual recommendation if you want the true hardcore trading experience. It's very grindy but incredibly complex. Haven't played it much myself as it's rather boring.

Freelancer has some space trading, but it's not the main focus of the game.

The MMORPG Mabinogi has a Merchant (not sure if that was its name) class which has you haul goods from point A to point B, but it's very shallow and I found it became boring after some time.

Recettear has been mentioned often in this thread, it's pretty popular. The merchant aspects are a bit shallow and I didn't find it interesting enough to play beyond a demo, but if you want a really casual merchant experience it's a good pick. Basically, you run a shop and fight in dungeons to collect stuff to then sell to adventurers and whatnot in your shop.

You mention the Rune Factory series. If you're into crafting stuff to sell/getting paid to craft stuff, you'll likely enjoy the Atelier series. I recommend Atelier Totori (both PS3 or Vita) for a good starter Atelier game. If you don't have a PS3 or Vita you could go for Atelier Annie (DS), but it's not nearly as good as Totori.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 02:07   Link #11
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
Recettear has been mentioned often in this thread, it's pretty popular. The merchant aspects are a bit shallow and I didn't find it interesting enough to play beyond a demo, but if you want a really casual merchant experience it's a good pick. Basically, you run a shop and fight in dungeons to collect stuff to then sell to adventurers and whatnot in your shop.
I don't think it's that shallow, you said you only played the demo but the demo had only the bare minimum of the mechanics introduced. There's a ton of stuff in the actual game that makes it not that simple. Like you can cause market crashes through over saturation of certain goods. There's quite a lot of mechanics involved in it.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-22, 09:00   Link #12
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I don't think it's that shallow, you said you only played the demo but the demo had only the bare minimum of the mechanics introduced. There's a ton of stuff in the actual game that makes it not that simple. Like you can cause market crashes through over saturation of certain goods. There's quite a lot of mechanics involved in it.
They kinda ruined the whole bargaining aspect though. Once you realize that it's a lot more convenient to get the people to accept your first offer and once you learn which are the precise percentages that each kind of customer will always accept, it becomes something that a simple bot could do.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 16:21   Link #13
Ghiest Cid

The game Capitalism.
Ghiest Cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-27, 22:41   Link #14
Kuya
Skateboarder Member

Im surprised no one mentioned Ragnarok Online

Literally, the job is named "Merchant"