AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-04-23, 11:26   Link #1
Calca
Expressionless

Cartoon Network's Adult Swim

Pretty much showing all of Neon Genesis Evangelion uncensored earning it a TV-MA rating. I was a bit surprised that they showed naked Rei and left pretty much everything intact.

The AS block has come a long way from when it first started. They were reluctant back then to even put TV-14 shows on, but now it seems they are trying to be as faithful as possible to any new anime they put on.
Calca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 12:50   Link #2
Haseo
The Terror Of Death

Location: Hell, North Carolina, United States of the Shitty America
Send a message via AIM to Haseo Send a message via MSN to Haseo
What suprising me is that they even aired it. For the long time of venturing into the [AS] forums. Administarters constantly stated that they wouldn't air Neon Genesis Evangelion. Yet, they began to air it(which I keep forgetting about, but the dub really irriates me). They may just be airing it without editting because of fans, or the complaints they might recieve because of it. I could be wrong in that though.

If they keep it up, then I will most defendately be surprised. I even might reconsider watching [AS] like I used to. I want to see what they might do in the future.
Haseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 19:19   Link #3
the starved artist
feel the hunger, bishes.

Send a message via MSN to the starved artist
As far as I've seen, Adult Swim has always been light with the censoring, which is something i like. Also, Adult Swim seems to get all the big titles and mainstream anime. I'm finding it hard to say I like Bebop without being told I'm a 'main-streamer' or a wannabe. It's not like I care, but I'd be nice to shake the stereotype-ers of anime, though I suppose I'm being hypocritical when I get annoyed with people when they're not completely educated in the ways of anime..
Overall though, I love Adult Swim and their airing talents. I tip my hat to them.
the starved artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-23, 21:18   Link #4
dfens

I still find it funny that when they aired eva that they actually bleeped out a phrase that bad mouthed God almighty himself. They bleeped it like when you see a movie on TV and know the person is going to say f@ck but hear a audible beep instead. Come on now it wasn't a swear word, what you can't insult God now oh no you'll go to hell your now evil.

Even though I've seen Eva and owned it since it first came out and is one of my favorite series of all time I found it ridiculous that Cartoon Network of all the edits they could have made got all worried about what some preachy christian religous nuts what have to say if they left it un-edited.

Plus it was on like at 12:30 at night real late I was only up to see it cause I work during the mid day so I don't have to get up early for work.

Like I really care I've seen every anime on CN long before they got their hands on it. And even though the edits or becoming less and less not as bad as the days when they went as far as whiting out blood stains etc. If your excited about anime on CN then obviously your not that big of an anime fan not like their is anything wrong with that. But if you want no censoring than either buy it or download it.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 01:03   Link #5
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfens
I still find it funny that when they aired eva that they actually bleeped out a phrase that bad mouthed God almighty himself. They bleeped it like when you see a movie on TV and know the person is going to say f@ck but hear a audible beep instead. Come on now it wasn't a swear word, what you can't insult God now oh no you'll go to hell your now evil.

Even though I've seen Eva and owned it since it first came out and is one of my favorite series of all time I found it ridiculous that Cartoon Network of all the edits they could have made got all worried about what some preachy christian religous nuts what have to say if they left it un-edited.

Plus it was on like at 12:30 at night real late I was only up to see it cause I work during the mid day so I don't have to get up early for work.

Like I really care I've seen every anime on CN long before they got their hands on it. And even though the edits or becoming less and less not as bad as the days when they went as far as whiting out blood stains etc. If your excited about anime on CN then obviously your not that big of an anime fan not like their is anything wrong with that. But if you want no censoring than either buy it or download it.
First, please use English correctly, such as getting your "you're"s and "your"s correct along with your "there"s and "their"s.

Next please make sure you know what you are talking about. Making a general observation about something that airs on TV and comparing it to the practices that were done in the past does not judge how big of a fan one is.

Last, was the original post really complaining about censoring or asking for no censoring at all on AS and trying to form an angry mob? No it wasn't, it was an observation about a show that no one thought would be on. So next time you try and sound self-rightous, try and know what the hell you're (pay attention to the spelling of the word and how I used it) talking about.
Old 2006-04-24, 01:35   Link #6
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by the starved artist
I'm finding it hard to say I like Bebop without being told I'm a 'main-streamer' or a wannabe.
LoL... who are these people that make such accusations. Is there a "cool" group of anime fans that I am unaware of?
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 01:43   Link #7
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:

It seems you are not from the US cause you would know how stupid politics is in this country and how much relgious groups make an issue out of any and everything...Examing religious issues not in a comedic context (but even that sometimes) is a flood-gate waiting to happen...Bleep one word out or have some obscure religious group trying to make a name for themselves by trashing something in Eva...If you want to see God's name for laffs watch Morel Orel (also an adult swim show)...

Quote:

It's funny how ignorant you are being, but what's even funnier is you don't even see it...Why not be excited about the number #1 RANKED cable block that caters to and supplies demand to anime fans? Do you understand that in AMERICA the number 1 rated block on cable features ANIME and your not in a parallel universe?? Do you know what this does for the overall exposure of anime here? Plus some fans actually like to watch popular shows they've seen in japanese in english with better quality then some fansub that doesn't require purchacing the entire series...Also Adult Swim is not Cartoon Network as they have officially been given autonomy like Nick at Nite did from Nickelodeon (They are their own network) and can basically do what they want unlike CN (which has stricter guidelines because their audience is more aimed at 14 and under)...All the demographic data (that can easily be found at their website) seems to suggest adult swim has exposed anime to such a diverse audience that they are the biggest advertising cash-cow on late night cable today (Routinley beating David Letterman and Jay Leno on national networks with the oh so precious 18-34 demo)...I'm sure many people who have watched anime during their block has been spurred on to search for other titles, perhaps even seek out a website like animesuki.com to find out what other animes they're missing out on...And what in the world is wrong with that? So it's quite easy to see you have no concept of what Streetor is trying to express with his excitement for that network (inwhich I totally agree)...

Not to pick on you, just saying little comments like the one you made brushing off the importance of people being excited about anime here in the states (even if it is CN) serves as a deterrent...Not everyone is a mindless sheep...Sometimes it takes watching edited material to get you motivated into finding the truth and exposing you to more stuff (That was the case for me during the DBZ revolution--it made me look for the unedited eps and exposed me to other titles like I'm sure what's happening to some Naruto-dub fans as we speak)....

And you are right Streetor they have come a long way...In alot of ways Adult Swim is the network for those younger guys who were big fans of Toonami back in the late 90's (Back when it was awesome)...These younger guys are now adults like you and me and adult swim has been the vessel to keep that type of quality alive...It went from some once a week treat to a full fledge network that can keep grown-up toonheads entertained...Each year it has gotten more and more independant and takes risks in it's programming that has paid off bigtime (Boondocks for example)...Now with Eureka Seven being in the line-up (Eventhough I've seen up to ep 35 in japanese) the progression the network has made has had a huge impression on me aswell...I don't even know why I have 500 digital channels because I pretty much just watch FOX, ESPN, and [adult swim]...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2006-04-24 at 02:29.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 02:10   Link #8
Calca
Expressionless

You know me though...I'm just a big dubbie [/sarcasm]

Where the hell is NSW to rip on idiots when you need him?
Old 2006-04-24, 03:37   Link #9
dfens

Wow Streetor I didn't know I was back in school again Mr. spelling Nazi. I didn't write what I wrote to sound self rightous and a know it all like you. I'll bet you'll after reading this will get all worked up with a long reply to prove your better than me so you can feel all superior again. But hey what ever gets you off, me on the other hand I'm not going to drag this stupid flame war on so go ahead and write about a million posts in this thread until you get tired.

And yes I'm from the U.S. not some immigrant that came over and doesn't know that religion still has a big influence on just about everything.

Anyways I just found it odd that with all the stuff on other programs CN airs or shows they make themselves they had to watch what they say about God. I'm catholic but not one of those hardcore religious nuts who would be all offended and make a big deal about it. If you want to say F@ck God or something it wouldn't bother me.

For some CN and other cable channels is their primary source for anime and that's ok. One day maybe they'll show anime completely un-edited and/or subbed but guess what I'm not holding my breath. Even if they do so what you people act like promoting anime to the masses is the next big cause. Is the world going to end if everyone doesn't watch anime in the numbers like in Japan?

But like I said who cares do whatever, I'm just one person ranting what I say isn't law your free think and feel however you want so why don't we drop the matter.
dfens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 07:24   Link #10
Calca
Expressionless

Quote:
Wow Streetor I didn't know I was back in school again Mr. spelling Nazi. I didn't write what I wrote to sound self rightous and a know it all like you. I'll bet you'll after reading this will get all worked up with a long reply to prove your better than me so you can feel all superior again. But hey what ever gets you off, me on the other hand I'm not going to drag this stupid flame war on so go ahead and write about a million posts in this thread until you get tired.

And yes I'm from the U.S. not some immigrant that came over and doesn't know that religion still has a big influence on just about everything.

Anyways I just found it odd that with all the stuff on other programs CN airs or shows they make themselves they had to watch what they say about God. I'm catholic but not one of those hardcore religious nuts who would be all offended and make a big deal about it. If you want to say F@ck God or something it wouldn't bother me.

For some CN and other cable channels is their primary source for anime and that's ok. One day maybe they'll show anime completely un-edited and/or subbed but guess what I'm not holding my breath. Even if they do so what you people act like promoting anime to the masses is the next big cause. Is the world going to end if everyone doesn't watch anime in the numbers like in Japan?

But like I said who cares do whatever, I'm just one person ranting what I say isn't law your free think and feel however you want so why don't we drop the matter.

Yes, actually I do think I'm better than you.

And no, I'm not a spelling nazi, it's just that when someone doesn't type well and can't use the language they learned after birth, it kind of reflects on the intelligence of the poster.

Maybe the fact that everyone disagrees with you and thinks you are sounding like a moron tells you something?

"Everyone's wrong but me!!!"
Old 2006-04-24, 08:48   Link #11
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat
LoL... who are these people that make such accusations. Is there a "cool" group of anime fans that I am unaware of?
LOL. That's exactly the first thing I thought. I must have missed them somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
Plus some fans actually like to watch popular shows they've seen in japanese in english with better quality then some fansub that doesn't require purchacing the entire series...
I'd like to point out that plenty of people who have been watching fansubbed anime for years still watch AS. I've never been a fan of the "mindless shonen" genre, so I never saw FMA, E7 and Naruto until they were aired on AS (well, technically Naruto is on Toonami, but it's right before AS). I've still never seen Eva (though I'm waiting to catch the repeats when AS starts airing them). Also it's a nice way to catch a preview of a dubbed version to see what it's like.
Quote:
I don't even know why I have 500 digital channels because I pretty much just watch FOX, ESPN, and [adult swim]...
Well, that's pretty sad in it's own way. You should watch Battlestar Galactica on Sci Fi. There _are_ good shows that don't come from Japan.
Though I guess I'm not one to talk, I think I only watch like four more channels than you do (and one of them, TNT, only because they show NBA games).

EDIT: I actually am a spelling nazi.
Old 2006-04-24, 18:29   Link #12
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
I'd like to point out that plenty of people who have been watching fansubbed anime for years still watch AS. I've never been a fan of the "mindless shonen" genre, so I never saw FMA, E7 and Naruto until they were aired on AS (well, technically Naruto is on Toonami, but it's right before AS). I've still never seen Eva (though I'm waiting to catch the repeats when AS starts airing them). Also it's a nice way to catch a preview of a dubbed version to see what it's like.
Well, that's pretty sad in it's own way. You should watch Battlestar Galactica on Sci Fi. There _are_ good shows that don't come from Japan.
Though I guess I'm not one to talk, I think I only watch like four more channels than you do (and one of them, TNT, only because they show NBA games).
Well first off let me say if you think FMA is mindless shonen I'm shocked...Not too many series have touched me intellectually and spiritually like FMA has...Eureka7 doesn't even fall under that categorey...The mecha action is only a small part of that show...As for the rest I'm not really a big sci-fi network guy...I don't realy like space shows where everything is obvious looking CG, I just can't get into it because it seems fake to me...The last show like that I really liked was Star trek the next Generation when I was a kid, as an adult Firefly:Serenity is one I like because the characters are dope....

Now don't take me too literal I watch other stations...Gotta have HBO for Realtime with Bill Mahr and even watch BBC for these crazy sex driven shows like Footballers Wives and Mile High^^...But most of my favorite series like Lost, Weeds, 24, and Smallville I download new episodes each week...I never watch them when they actually air because the HDTV rips look so gorgeous on my flat-screen monitor...The audio and visual quality is 5 times better than digital cable and I don't have to watch any commercials either...But yes I do watch TNT just for basketball and I watch Fox for Kareoke Idol and their Sunday Night funnies, but everynight my TV always finds itself on [adult swim]...It's like the default station for me...Right now they're showing Saved By The Bell eps too that are cracking me up with nostalgia...It's by far the dopest network on cable for toonheads...It's easy to see why their ratings are so high...
Old 2006-04-24, 20:53   Link #13
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Well first off let me say if you think FMA is mindless shonen I'm shocked...Not too many series have touched me intellectually and spiritually like FMA has...Eureka7 doesn't even fall under that categorey...The mecha action is only a small part of that show...
That was kind of my point, I would have completely missed both of these series if it hadn't been for [adult swim]. I had written them off on a first impression that was not accurate. My bandwidth pipe is only so big (well, it was then. Now that's not really a problem).
Quote:
Now don't take me too literal I watch other stations...Gotta have HBO for Realtime with Bill Mahr and even watch BBC for these crazy sex driven shows like Footballers Wives and Mile High^^...But most of my favorite series like Lost, Weeds, 24, and Smallville I download new episodes each week...I never watch them when they actually air because the HDTV rips look so gorgeous on my flat-screen monitor...
Firefly was almost as good as Battlestar Galactica (it probably would rank up there with it if it wasn't for the fact that it was aborted prematurely). I can see the difference in what you're saying though. It never occurred to me that part of the reason I enjoy tv so much is that I happen to have a very nice one I bought for my wife, and HDTV to go with it. That's a really good reason to watch it on your monitor! But for me it works sort of in reverse, I'm figuring out the best way to run cables from here to the living room so I can actually watch anime in there.
Old 2006-04-24, 21:12   Link #14
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^Yeah I'm just the reverse...I accidently broke my 25 inch Panasonic and now have a crappy floor-model 1992 RCA in my game room were I'm sitting right now as I type and watch the Heat whip the Bulls a$$ (Yah!!)... The video matrix is shrinking so everybody's head gets cut off...You can't even see the "bottomline scores" on ESPN...My friends have laffed at me for that ...Now i have a Sanyo Tru-Flat type of TV in the living room, but it's only like 15 inches, so my monitor seems to have a better picture to me...Still trying to figure out how to link my CPU to the TV, but I'm just so lazy I haven't tried to really do it yet...

I watched the Serenity movie on TV then watched it on my CPU and it was a totally different experience, just like the eps i dl...Hi res eps of Smallville and 24 put TV to shame... You probably have Time Warner cable like me since they contol Texas, so you might know what i mean...Some stations look like crap no matter how dope the TV is...
Old 2006-04-25, 00:07   Link #15
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
I watched the Serenity movie on TV then watched it on my CPU and it was a totally different experience, just like the eps i dl...Hi res eps of Smallville and 24 put TV to shame... You probably have Time Warner cable like me since they contol Texas, so you might know what i mean...Some stations look like crap no matter how dope the TV is...
Umm, no, I have HDTV (FiOS, and DirectTV HDTV before that). Fox (24) and WB (Smallville) both air (those shows at least) in HD, so it looks pretty cool. I'm pretty sure the hi-res eps you're downloading are the same HDTV. With Battlestar I believe you can download even nicer eps though (I know Battlestar is using some experimental offer of the eps over the web). But, really, there's a point where I don't notice anymore. Once I realized that I could tell how recently Michael Rosenbaum had shaved his head in each scene from across the room, I decided that it was probably good enough. DVD's suffer a little from pixelation (I guess, I can't really notice) because they're not HD, but the color separation and hue is actually better because I'm using a nicer set of cables for that connection.

I could have counted the pores on Wade's cheeks tonight. And is it just me, or is Tyson Chandler's complexion getting worse the older he gets?
Old 2006-04-25, 03:24   Link #16
Bandersnatch
Gantz Survivor

Send a message via AIM to Bandersnatch
I love Adult Swim, they have introduced me to some pretty good series. It's just a shame they keep trying to shove crap like Squidbillies and 12oz Mouse down my throat. More anime plz . *Prays that Bleach doesn't get butchered like Naruto*

Shun me, for I am frumious!
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 04:07   Link #17
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
I love Adult Swim, they have introduced me to some pretty good series. It's just a shame they keep trying to shove crap like Squidbillies and 12oz Mouse down my throat. More anime plz . *Prays that Bleach doesn't get butchered like Naruto*
It's not going to get butchered. Look how they (Viz) handled IY (After the first season). Viz does the edits, not CN. CN just sends them a list of recommendations.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 15:58   Link #18
Tsume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandersnatch
*Prays that Bleach doesn't get butchered like Naruto*
Naruto? Butchered? Which dubs have you been watching? The ones I've seen don't look butchered at all. True, they did edit a few things, like flowing blood (including the nosebleeds generated by Naruto's Oiroke no Jutsu and Harem no Jutsu), but they've kept the editing to a minimum. They didn't even put swimsuits on the Oiroke and Harem transformations, like they did with Tenchi. True, the "Believe it!" thing is getting annoying, but they had to do something to deal with "dattebayo," which actually doesn't have a meaning. "Believe it," while annoying, actually fits Naruto fairly well.

They could have done much worse with this series, like what happened with Cardcaptor Sakura *shudders at the memory* or with One Piece (now THAT is butchered. Damn Fox...). But they didn't. If the worst that happens with Bleach is that it ends up like Naruto, I won't complain. Much. Still, I'm hoping that Bleach ends up on AS so that it doesn't need even that level of editing.
Tsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 16:10   Link #19
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
CCS -> Nelvana, but Geneon got it released uncut anyway
One Peice -> 4Kids, no hope there

Fox tried re-editing Escaflowne, but failed miserably.

Naruto and Bleach, however, will not be edited anywhere near as intensely as the first two and will get uncut, uncensored releases with both audio tracks and subs. The unedited Naruto release is coming up in the next few weeks, IIRC. I certainly hope the tens of thousands of downloaders will back up their claims of fandom and support the official release...
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 19:03   Link #20
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I found it ridiculous that Cartoon Network of all the edits they could have made got all worried about what some preachy christian religous nuts what have to say if they left it un-edited.
Obviously you pay no attention to the smartass comments they always make to viewers' mail right before/after commercials. It's my favorite part of adult swim, apart from Robot Chicken.