AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-01-14, 10:42   Link #141
MarkS00N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Yeah but I'm not seeing that conflict. The bears are definitely more sexual than the girls but no one really question that difference and it could mean a lot of things, considering this Ikuhara we're talking about. On the other hand, the difference between protecting your love or giving it up is throughly explored, along with the social implications. Like I said before, what I'm getting is that what makes your love real is whether you're willing to risk yourself to protect it, regardless of how much sex you have.
There is, however, debate whether the eating should be allowed to happen or not in The Judge Scene and when the Life is Cool judge object using 'it isn't even a week yet' it indicates that after certain degree sexy thing isn't allowed to happen which I think is enough proof that 'Feel vs Lust' isn't not exist, simply isn't explored enough yet because we are in the second episode...
Also the bear isn't just 'more sexual', the fanservice in the show only happen when there is (at least) a bear...

But as I said, the first and foremost layer is 'Lesbian Relationship and Social Reaction Toward It' (due to it is a social commentary) with everything I said as second layer (due to it is a commentary on development of certain niche genre) so it is understandable if you don't see it...
MarkS00N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 11:05   Link #142
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS00N View Post
There is, however, debate whether the eating should be allowed to happen or not in The Judge Scene and when the Life is Cool judge object using 'it isn't even a week yet' it indicates that after certain degree sexy thing isn't allowed to happen which I think is enough proof that 'Feel vs Lust' isn't not exist
I don't think there is a "feelings vs lust" conflict but I do admit the bears being more sexual can't be meaningless. Perhaps it just means they're lesbians, and Sumika and Kureha didn't become bears because Sumika was attacked before it could happen. So rather than lacking lust in their relationship, they just didn't have the chance to act on it before the storm hit them. That's the only conclusion that doesn't contradict Ginko stating that Kureha's love was as real as her own.

Anyway, here's a post form another board that looked interesting.
Quote:
The transparency/invisibility is simply a part of Ikuhara's metaphorical language. It holds a meaning of "uselessness", "lacking love", "not outstanding". Kureha and Sumika were different from the mass, they did stand out, they fell in love as opposed to just the allowed friendship - that's the reason their tears are a treat, delicious like honey. Love makes them stand out and causes them to be in the center of attention - in the center of the invisible storm.
Old 2015-01-14, 12:23   Link #143
MarkS00N

Quote:
I don't think there is a "feelings vs lust" conflict but I do admit the bears being more sexual can't be meaningless. Perhaps it just means they're lesbians, and Sumika and Kureha didn't become bears because Sumika was attacked before it could happen. So rather than lacking lust in their relationship, they just didn't have the chance to act on it before the storm hit them. That's the only conclusion that doesn't contradict Ginko stating that Kureha's love was as real as her own.
Err...
I think you misunderstand my argument here...
I don't say that there is no lust in Sumika and Kureha relationship, instead the fact that there is lust in it is why I argue that Sumika and Kureha relationship is 'true love' ('true love' = 'feel' + 'lust')...

The no 'lust' part comes from the The Invisible Storm involvement which somehow target Sumika and Kureha despite the bear showcase a sexual kind of relationship and the Racoon Bear girl implied that the only reason the president girl will be hurt by The Invisible Storm is if the president girl becomes friend with Kureha, indicate that while she and president girl do 'lustful' thing, it won't trigger The Invisible Storm unlike Kureha and Sumika...
This to me indicate that as human (because the main differences between the two couple is that Kureha and Sumika are both human while the other are both bear), Kureha and Sumika relationship (by having 'lust' because they are serious with their love) is beyond what is acceptable for human (that is 'feel' but no 'lust'), thus it attract The Invisible Storm...

It is worth to point out that:
a) We haven't see how The Invisible Storm work (Is it invisible in its form or is it a storm that force people to become invisible or something else entirely?)
b) 'Invisible' is a term that appear both in Human system (The Invisible Storm) and Bear system (Be Invisible or Eat Human?), indicates it is something that either similar in form, effect, or reason for its appearance
c) Based on episode 2 dialogues, it hasn't appear yet, meaning the flower cutting in episode 1 is more likely the work of the president girl to have reason of getting close to Kureha and Sumika and doesn't represent the true form of The Invisible Storm

One final thing I would like to say, which is the main reason I think there is a 'Vs' theme going, is the fact that the background story is about 'Human Vs Bear' and with how the show present itself, human would represent one thing while the bear represent other thing...

The bear so far has been shown to be sexual, that is why they represent 'lust', while human on human interaction that has been shown so far (Kureha and Sumika, Kureha and Her Mother) has been more heartwarming compare to other characters' interaction (assuming that every character with 'yuri-prefix' as bear, which likely to happen due to the fact that the title is 'yuri-kuma') thus 'feel'...

It could change in the future episode, but so far, I think this theme would lead to a pretty likely end goal that is to have a human-bear love relationship that is neither shackled by human system (The Invisible Storm) nor the bear system (The Judge Scene)...

A side note, but did I take it right that you implied both the bear and the invisible storm are representative of the same side of social reaction toward lesbian relationship (that is the shut the lesbian from stand on their love)?
If that so, I think you are wrong because the bear can be hurt by The Invisible Storm as this episode said (thus indicate both are separate 'agent' or represent separate side), but if you are not, then I apologize...

Last edited by MarkS00N; 2015-01-14 at 12:44.
Old 2015-01-14, 13:25   Link #144
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS00N View Post
One final thing I would like to say, which is the main reason I think there is a 'Vs' theme going, is the fact that the background story is about 'Human Vs Bear' and with how the show present itself, human would represent one thing while the bear represent other thing...

The bear so far has been shown to be sexual, that is why they represent 'lust', while human on human interaction that has been shown so far (Kureha and Sumika, Kureha and Her Mother) has been more heartwarming compare to other characters' interaction (assuming that every character with 'yuri-prefix' as bear, which likely to happen due to the fact that the title is 'yuri-kuma') thus 'feel'...
Right now I'm going with this interpretation:

"Bears" represent males and "humans" represents females. The conflict between them is caused by natural differences, especially related to sex and reproduction. It's a conflict caused by natural instincts. Instincts that in real life we learn to overcome and control as we grow up (most of the time). In the series, on the other hand, the conflict seems to have aggravated until males and females (bears and humans) ended up being separated by an insurmountable "wall" aptly called Wall of Extinction. That in itself could be an allegory to some sort of enclosed environment where women are isolated from men and grow to see them as somewhat strange and fear them sometimes, like all-girls schools in the early twentieth century (the time when Yuri first came to be as Class S stories).

Then what about the "female bears"? They represent homosexual females. Females who are sexually attracted to other females. Lesbians can't reproduce so they must be put on trial and are to be judged by the Court of Extinction. Also note that usually the court ruling is on Ginko and Lulu's favor, on the grounds that what they do (engaging in homosexuality?) is natural for them.

Pretty wacky stuff, but sounds plausible considering Ikuhara's track record.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2015-01-14 at 17:39.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 17:25   Link #145
MarkS00N

Quote:
Right now I'm going with this interpretation:

"Bears" represent males and "humans" represents females. The conflict between them is caused by natural differences, especially related to sex and reproduction. It's a conflict caused by natural instincts. Instincts that in real life we learn to overcome and control as we grow up (most of the time). In the series, on the other hand, the conflict seems to have aggravated until males and females (bears and humans) ended up being separated by an insurmountable "wall" aptly called Wall of Extinction. That in itself could be an allegory to some sort of enclosed environment where women are isolated from men and grow to see them as somewhat strange and fear them sometimes, like all-girls schools in the early twentieth century (the time when Yuri first came to be as Class S stories).

Then what about the "female bears"? They represent homosexual females. Females who are sexually attracted to other females. Lesbians can't reproduce so they must be put on trial and are to be judged by the Court of Extinction.

Pretty wacky stuff, but sounds plausible considering Ikuhara's track record.
I have some criticism to your interpretation, but well not enough episode thus not enough 'material' explained (the most crucial being how The Invisible Storm work) to justify my criticism, but again like you said, it is also very possible that Ikuhara do want to say what you think he want to say, afterall he is Ikuhara...

Could also both of us are true, because it is Ikuhara's show...

Though I would say this, Ikuhara has been known to like yuri and has been said to involved Morishima Akiko (who 'make' this interesting picture here) as not only the illustration design but also kinda as 'consultant' so I think there is a high chance for Ikuhara to use Yuri-Kuma Arashi as medium to speak his comment on the hot topic that is 'moe vs non-moe yuri'...

Last edited by MarkS00N; 2015-01-14 at 18:21.
Old 2015-01-14, 17:30   Link #146
The Green One

Upon rewatching it looks like Kureha is being shunned too, almost no one interacts with her, no one other than the class rep even approaches her after Sumika's death.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-14, 17:31   Link #147
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Upon rewatching it looks like Kureha is being shunned too, almost no one interacts with her, no one other than the class rep even approaches her after Sumika's death.
Yeah, the official relationship chart says both were shunned by their classmates.
Old 2015-01-14, 17:58   Link #148
The Green One

Shun the non believer!!

Shhhhuunnnnnnnnn!

A cookie to those who understand the reference.

This series is interesting enough how it forces you to think about the meaning of the scenes which shows that Ikuhara succeeded at the intention of the story.
Old 2015-01-15, 11:29   Link #149
ValvraveTruth

This anime aim about how the society view lesbian in japan.

''Invisible'' most likely mean ''straight'' society, ''storm'' means the view or trouble. So ''invisible storm'' will come at you if you are exposed as lesbian ''yuri'', and simply mean lesbian is not well received by people.

Here is a tricky part, why
1) Mitsuko is shocked about finding Ginko & Lulu eventhou she herself is a bear. Mitsuko is different type of bear clan, Ginko & Lulu are hunger/lusting type of bear clan. Thats why the ''wall of severence'' exist to cut off both type of bears.
2) If Mitsuko knows who the bear then why she didnt report them, because the whole society or most people are bear from the start and human in other way is rare.

rare finding in bear: Name with Yuri___ most likely a bear.
Yurigasaki Lulu
Yurishiro Ginko
Yurizono Mitsuko
Yurikawa Konomi(dead)

Last edited by ValvraveTruth; 2015-01-15 at 11:36. Reason: Forget some part
ValvraveTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 11:32   Link #150
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Shun the non believer!!

Shhhhuunnnnnnnnn!

A cookie to those who understand the reference.
Charlie the unicorn?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 16:20   Link #151
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Charlie the unicorn?
You are correct sir, a fake Internet cookie for you.
Old 2015-01-15, 17:07   Link #152
tsunade666

well another weird episode that I expect but is the court thing supposedly the general view of the people? I just got the feeling of the theme of where you will reveal yourself of being lesbian or just stay quite about it so the storm won't hit you.
Old 2015-01-15, 17:10   Link #153
Miraluka
Banned

In other words black and white?
No gray area? that's unrealistic by real world standards.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 17:38   Link #154
MarkS00N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValvraveTruth View Post
Here is a tricky part, why
1) Mitsuko is shocked about finding Ginko & Lulu eventhou she herself is a bear. Mitsuko is different type of bear clan, Ginko & Lulu are hunger/lusting type of bear clan. Thats why the ''wall of severence'' exist to cut off both type of bears.
2) If Mitsuko knows who the bear then why she didnt report them, because the whole society or most people are bear from the start and human in other way is rare.
1) I don't think they are different. In my opinion she is shocked because: At first she thinks the new student transfer and the wall breach are merely a coincidence to happen in such short amount of time so she is shocked when it turns out to be not a coincidence at all; The new appearance of bear endanger her "hunting ground" especially if the new bear do kill Sumika, they most probably will kill Kureha, both of which are her target
2) Thing is, there are four other character (two has been introduced in the first episode) that doesn't have yuri-prefix so I don't think human is on minority side, afterall there need to be balance between human and bear if we can trust The Yuri Trial. I think she doesn't report because: It would alert human that the bear can transform into human; The headmistress almost certainly a bear too so her report will be in vain; If she report to the police, the headmistress will be in problem because allowed two bear in to her school, which could lead to human searching the school ground and find her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
In other words black and white?
No gray area? that's unrealistic by real world standards.
Do you mean there is no gray area between admitting yourself to be interested in person of same gender gender and not admitting to be attracted to one?
What do you think as gray area between the two?
Old 2015-01-15, 18:44   Link #155
Miraluka
Banned

The society, dude. The society and this so called storm.
Old 2015-01-15, 18:52   Link #156
The Green One

Yep society. Don't be different, don't stand out. That makes you a target. You're only safe when you blend into the crowd and are thus invisible. You're dull, tasteless, and boring but at least safe. Anyone who doesn't conform to this is scorned, ridiculed, and shunned. Happens all to commonly in society.
Old 2015-01-15, 19:38   Link #157
James Rye

Hm, I dunno, the penguin one was more fun in two episodes than this one. :/
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-15, 19:39   Link #158
Miraluka
Banned

Yeah, I think I better drop it now.
Old 2015-01-15, 20:07   Link #159
MarkS00N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraluka View Post
The society, dude. The society and this so called storm.
And what is unrealistic about it?
Though I guess in western society it is a bit more acceptable to have a same sex relationship so the society have choice to ignore other people preferences...

Last edited by MarkS00N; 2015-01-16 at 01:02.
Old 2015-01-16, 12:51   Link #160
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I have a question, will this show (Love Bullet) be 13 episodes (or around that many episodes), or will this be one of the 26 episode shows? I want to subscribe to Funimation's streaming service, and would like to know if signing up for their 3 month plan would allow me to watch all the episodes of this show.

Tags
surrealism, yuri