Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-01-21, 09:58   Link #5961
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonKing0117 View Post
Baba Yaga is also from slavic myth. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/12851....htm#BABA_Yaga
Also, can someone give me a link to that story of a slavic king and his seven wives, I can't seem to find it.
Apparently,it's not so much as a tale but an actual real life example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_the_Great
Avrorrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 10:04   Link #5962
DragonKing0117
A Non-Awakened Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Connection View Post
Apparently,it's not so much as a tale but an actual real life example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_the_Great
I know about the thing with Vladmir the great, but I thought there was a tale besides him. Besides, it mentions he had hundreds of concubines and a number of wives while only six of the wives are listed. It's probably not him.

Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle Wiki - If you've read and enjoyed the series, please help out! We now have a social group!!!
Cipher J's Blog|Fan and Original Fiction Database - A blog that I recently made to serve as a backup place for all my fan/original fiction. Feel free to check it out if you like.
DragonKing0117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 10:18   Link #5963
SineMora
Wait for it...

Also there's another slavic myth... a tragic one... where the archer boy and princess swordswoman end up dead... I can't dig up that twitter post anymore

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 10:57   Link #5964
DragonKing0117
A Non-Awakened Prince

So... In conclusion, Brune is France, Zchted is Russia, Asvarre is Great Britain, and Muozinel is (Turkey?), with some Norse concepts thrown into the mix (Vanadis were under Freyja, Regin is the name of a dwarf who was the brother to Fafnir who was turned into a dragon courtesy of Andvaranaught, the ring of Andvari).

Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle Wiki - If you've read and enjoyed the series, please help out! We now have a social group!!!
Cipher J's Blog|Fan and Original Fiction Database - A blog that I recently made to serve as a backup place for all my fan/original fiction. Feel free to check it out if you like.
Old 2015-01-21, 23:56   Link #5965
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonKing0117 View Post
So... In conclusion, Brune is France, Zchted is Russia, Asvarre is Great Britain, and Muozinel is (Turkey?), with some Norse concepts thrown into the mix (Vanadis were under Freyja, Regin is the name of a dwarf who was the brother to Fafnir who was turned into a dragon courtesy of Andvaranaught, the ring of Andvari).

I agree with you except that I think Mouzinel is probably more like Spain. Besides, I don't think that the author probably had any intention about relating it to RL, it was probably just coincidence(?)
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 01:58   Link #5966
Apoptosis
Am I useful yet, guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
I agree with you except that I think Mouzinel is probably more like Spain. Besides, I don't think that the author probably had any intention about relating it to RL, it was probably just coincidence(?)
I'm pretty sure the similarities to real world countries was intentional.
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 03:29   Link #5967
setsuna86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
Muozinel is rather more like Persia (currently Iran?), I think.
setsuna86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 05:10   Link #5968
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

They are basically the Ottomans. Think massively threatening imperial power with (complex) slavery system that's culturally alien to the West. The whole slaves being able to rise up to generals is exactly how Ottoman slavery works.

Hell, that Muozinel general whatshisname Barbarossa is an obvious reference to the legendary Ottoman admiral and corsair pirate Hayreddin Barbarossa. Though the author borrows an element of the other legendary Barbarossa, the red-bearded Holy Roman Emperor, as well.

The map the author created disappointed me, though. It looks too much like Europe. Sachsen looks like it's exactly where the Holy Roman Empire is, even to the point of including that pointless peninsula to add in "Italy"; Asvarre is France + Britain; Brune sits where Poland is; Z...Vanadisland is Lithuania + Russia. And Muozinel is coincidentally right where Turkey is, more or less.

But culturally, yes, Brune sounds a lot more like France than Poland. Alsace as a conflict flashpoint, sounds familiar. Plus, longbow haters ain't gonna Agincourt.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 05:15   Link #5969
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
They are basically the Ottomans. Think massively threatening imperial power with (complex) slavery system that's culturally alien to the West. The whole slaves being able to rise up to generals is exactly how Ottoman slavery works.

Hell, that Muozinel general whatshisname Barbarossa is an obvious reference to the legendary Ottoman admiral and corsair pirate Hayreddin Barbarossa. Though the author borrows an element of the other legendary Barbarossa, the red-bearded Holy Roman Emperor, as well.

The map the author created disappointed me, though. It looks too much like Europe. Sachsen looks like it's exactly where the Holy Roman Empire is, even to the point of including that pointless peninsula to add in "Italy"; Asvarre is France + Britain; Brune sits where Poland is; Z...Vanadisland is Lithuania + Russia. And Muozinel is coincidentally right where Turkey is, more or less.

But culturally, yes, Brune sounds a lot more like France than Poland. Longbow haters ain't gonna Agincourt.
That's basically how the entire Middle East operates.It wasn't just the Ottomans who used such a system.The other Middle Eastern states had Mameluks.
Old 2015-01-22, 05:18   Link #5970
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
That's basically how the entire Middle East operates.It wasn't just the Ottomans who used such a system.The other Middle Eastern states had Mameluks.
I know and I agree. It's more appropriately an Islamic slavery thing. But the various Mameluke and Turkic states, including Mameluke Egypt, didn't have Barbarossa's running around and they did not launch great invasions into Europe. So Muozinel, if we would like to find an OTL equivalent just for fun, sounds exactly like the Ottomans.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 06:43   Link #5971
ikramit

Checked the madan wiki, according to it in an interview with Tsukasa Kawaguchi the author the five kingdoms are France for Brune, Russia for Zhcted, Persia for Muozinel, Germany for Sachstein and the United Kingdom for Asvarre.

Last edited by ikramit; 2015-01-22 at 09:19.
ikramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 08:06   Link #5972
Apoptosis
Am I useful yet, guys?

Quote:
This system of government is called meritocracy I think.
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 08:22   Link #5973
Mentar
Banned

Zchted is Prussia (a predecessor of modern Germany), not Russia. Several city names actually existed.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-22, 10:09   Link #5974
Avrorrange
Basileus Basileōn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoptosis View Post
This system of government is called meritocracy I think.
No it's not.It wasn't from being a genuine meritocracy in that big aristocrats still have positions in governments.The position of the supreme ruler is also inherited to some extent(outright in the Ottoman Empire).A slave can only advance to high positions precisely because they are slaves.They are thought as being loyal than non-slaves.You will have a harder time advancing if you are a non-slave commoner.
Old 2015-01-22, 12:45   Link #5975
DragonKing0117
A Non-Awakened Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikramit View Post
Checked the madan wiki, according to it in an interview with Tsukasa Kawaguchi the author the five kingdoms are France for Brune, Russia for Zhcted, Persia for Muozinel, Germany for Sachstein and the United Kingdom for Asvarre.
So I got 3 (out of the four I answered) right. Good to know.

Old 2015-01-22, 20:10   Link #5976
Newhope

The ottemans would be the most likely, they had the most contact with Europe with the Ottoman Wars and where very active slave raiders though Crimea into Russia and southern Europe with the Barbary pirates.

Persia had very limited contact with Europe in that period and Mameluks by the early 15th century where conquered by the ottomans.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 15:45   Link #5977
Hiyono

Not exactly directly related to Madan, but Madan readers might find this pretty cool: Video by some guy who claims to have discovered how ancient archers fought.

He's on a serious ego-trip but his skills are amazing. Gives you some context for the kinda stuff that Tigre is supposedly able to do
Old 2015-01-23, 17:21   Link #5978
DragonKing0117
A Non-Awakened Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nandesuto View Post
Not exactly directly related to Madan, but Madan readers might find this pretty cool: Video by some guy who claims to have discovered how ancient archers fought.

He's on a serious ego-trip but his skills are amazing. Gives you some context for the kinda stuff that Tigre is supposedly able to do
That's a nice video, and it makes more of Tigre's feats believable.

Old 2015-01-23, 17:57   Link #5979
ikramit

This comment under the video pretty much mirrors my own so I'll just paste it here because I'm lazy:

"I have to take this with a grain of salt. He's using a 30 lb bow, and half-drawing it, weakening it further.

Part of the vid shows him shooting bullet-point arrows at "riveted chain mail" and piercing it. What gauge is the wire of the rings? That matters. Also the range is short, looks like less than 15m, and it doesn't look like the arrows penetrate very deeply.

History and logic says:

There's a reason soldiers and knights of the sword-and-bow era wore 40-60 lbs of armor, and it certainly wasn't decoration... they needed it for protection. Otherwise they would not have tolerated the weight and discomfort, and would have discarded it in favor of mobility and endurance... so they wore it of necessity. Thus the real actual armor had to have been a bit more effective at stopping attacks than detractors claim.

A recent find indicates that the draw-strength of the English longbow varied from 65 to 160 lbs... averaging perhaps 80-120 lbs. They would not have used such heavy draw weights for war-bows if a 30 pound draw would have sufficed, as the heavier draw is both slower and more tiring to the arm. If they used it, they needed it.

When he can do those tricks with an 80 lb draw longbow, at typical engagement ranges of 100m+, then I will be impressed.

While Andersen's skills, or perhaps I should say tricks, are certainly remarkable, I must take with a large helping of salt the notion that ancient archers used these same methods in warfare against armored opponents."

Last edited by ikramit; 2015-01-23 at 18:14.
ikramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-23, 22:43   Link #5980
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikramit View Post
This comment under the video pretty much mirrors my own so I'll just paste it here because I'm lazy:

"I have to take this with a grain of salt. He's using a 30 lb bow, and half-drawing it, weakening it further.

Part of the vid shows him shooting bullet-point arrows at "riveted chain mail" and piercing it. What gauge is the wire of the rings? That matters. Also the range is short, looks like less than 15m, and it doesn't look like the arrows penetrate very deeply.

History and logic says:

There's a reason soldiers and knights of the sword-and-bow era wore 40-60 lbs of armor, and it certainly wasn't decoration... they needed it for protection. Otherwise they would not have tolerated the weight and discomfort, and would have discarded it in favor of mobility and endurance... so they wore it of necessity. Thus the real actual armor had to have been a bit more effective at stopping attacks than detractors claim.

A recent find indicates that the draw-strength of the English longbow varied from 65 to 160 lbs... averaging perhaps 80-120 lbs. They would not have used such heavy draw weights for war-bows if a 30 pound draw would have sufficed, as the heavier draw is both slower and more tiring to the arm. If they used it, they needed it.

When he can do those tricks with an 80 lb draw longbow, at typical engagement ranges of 100m+, then I will be impressed.

While Andersen's skills, or perhaps I should say tricks, are certainly remarkable, I must take with a large helping of salt the notion that ancient archers used these same methods in warfare against armored opponents."

Here is what most say about history and logic when it comes to fiction, specially Japanese ones, Bleeh!. Throw them out of the windows. I was already told this many times.
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, ecchi, fantasy, harem, light novel, mf bunko j, politics, romance, seinen, strategy, true harem, war(s)