AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2015-01-28, 13:54   Link #741
Darkbacon
The Masked Panties

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaIT View Post
Regrowth can rewound the body up to 24 hours in the past...so, if Tatsuya do it every day can he preserve the same age?

As far as I know the author never said anything like this...but in the novel Regrowth is described in vol. 7 like this:
Spoiler for Quote:

And he can cast manual-Regrowth every day on Miyuki too..
Basically Tatsuya could become almost immortal?
Old 2015-01-28, 14:17   Link #742
MalaIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbacon View Post
Basically Tatsuya could become almost immortal?
If this works not only Tatsuya. Tatsuya could cast Regrowth every 24h on Miyuki and friends..
MalaIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 14:24   Link #743
Echizen777

Tatsuya's magic doesn't rejuvenate things, it's only to restore what is destroyed, he can't become immortal. Besides, abuse of magic shorten the lifespan of the magician.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 15:17   Link #744
MalaIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Tatsuya's magic doesn't rejuvenate things, it's only to restore what is destroyed, he can't become immortal.
Indeed this is my doubt too..

But Regrowth is described like this:
Quote:
..Changes in the Eidos can be rewound up to 24 hours in the past..The rewritten target will adhere to the updated information and restore itself to before any harm was suffered.
So we have:
A-Time when i do the copy of the Eidos
..24h..
B-Time when i override the current Eidos with the copy.
What is overridden? All the Eidos or only some information of the Eidos, that is the injury.
Can you override only some information? If yes then Tatsuya can not became immortal, but if Regrowth copy all the information in the Eidos then is like a time rewound. ..because you revert the elapsed time span of the human cells.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
Besides, abuse of magic shorten the lifespan of the magician.
If we have a time rewound all the information are overridden, so there is no abuse of magic
Old 2015-01-28, 16:33   Link #745
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaIT View Post
Indeed this is my doubt too..

But Regrowth is described like this:

So we have:
A-Time when i do the copy of the Eidos
..24h..
B-Time when i override the current Eidos with the copy.
What is overridden? All the Eidos or only some information of the Eidos, that is the injury.
Can you override only some information? If yes then Tatsuya can not became immortal, but if Regrowth copy all the information in the Eidos then is like a time rewound. ..because you revert the elapsed time span of the human cells.

If we have a time rewound all the information are overridden, so there is no abuse of magic
Honami or miya would have never died if tatsuya could save them.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 16:38   Link #746
MalaIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
You are right, i remembered Honami now..so the abuse of magic could be a problem.
Old 2015-01-28, 20:12   Link #747
Iramohs

Quote:
You are right, i remembered Honami now..so the abuse of magic could be a problem.
The concept of life force exist in Mahouka which is why Honami died. He can only heal physical injuries.

Last edited by Iramohs; 2015-01-28 at 21:28.
Iramohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 20:29   Link #748
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Didnt Honami wanted to die?? and it ever has been said how Maya died?? maybe Tatsuya wasnt there when it happened, remember, he cannot work when its already dead, other than that, yes
Old 2015-01-28, 21:18   Link #749
IceHism

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOmus View Post
Didnt Honami wanted to die?? and it ever has been said how Maya died?? maybe Tatsuya wasnt there when it happened, remember, he cannot work when its already dead, other than that, yes

Doesn't matter. He casted it on her as much as possible and none of it worked. It was futile as the narration put it.

I'm pretty sure miya died from magic overuse since her body became too weak.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-28, 21:30   Link #750
Iramohs

Quote:
Doesn't matter. He casted it on her as much as possible and none of it worked. It was futile as the narration put it.

I'm pretty sure miya died from magic overuse since her body became too weak.
Yotsuba Genzou died the same way. It's seems like the Yotsuba's Mental Interference magic causes severe problems when it's overused. Could be another reason why Miyuki's is normally sealed, besides just to bind Tatsuya.
Old 2015-01-28, 21:33   Link #751
Baffo

Assuming Tats could use Regrouth to rejuvinate himself and/or other people every 24 hours, if his magic resets all the cells int the targets body to 24 hours prior, wouldn't that also erase memory of those 24 hours (information is stored in the brain cells as chemicals and electric signals) by resetting all the eidos...?
Just an idea
Baffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-29, 03:58   Link #752
MalaIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffo View Post
Assuming Tats could use Regrouth to rejuvinate himself and/or other people every 24 hours, if his magic resets all the cells int the targets body to 24 hours prior, wouldn't that also erase memory of those 24 hours (information is stored in the brain cells as chemicals and electric signals) by resetting all the eidos...?
Just an idea
This is also my idea, but with Honami the author has included an exception to the behavior of Regrouth. That is "not all the information in the Eidos are rewound"...i.e. the abuse of magic are not rewound.

So we can hope in Tats immortal only if:
  • The abuse of magic change some information not in the Eidos but in the "soul-spirit"
  • or if Tats will improve Regrouth or Elemental Sight (to copy). Honami died in the some day that Tats used Regrouth on a person in point of death for the first time.
Old 2015-01-29, 10:52   Link #753
caminhas
Golden Sorcerer

the things is regrowth is not Mental Interference magic, and all yotsuba magicians died from overusing them (honami doesn't count since her DNA was messed up from the start).
caminhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 12:39   Link #754
Sinarblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baffo View Post
Just an idea
If that was the case every time he used regrowth on someone they would forget the got injured in the first place, which is not the case.
Retaining memory can be explained despite all physical traits being reset via this quote from volume 9
Quote:
We USNA magic researchers believe that the brain is not an independent thinking organ; the real thinking core is the Pushion Information Body; the brain’s role is to receive the information sent from the so-called 'mind', and the communication organ transmits the information of the body to the mind. Although still in the theoretical stage, the possibility is very high."
If that is the case Memories could very well be mostly stored in the pushion information body, and when a character gets brain damage they only lose them because a section of the brain is no longer able to receive that information.

As we know, Tatsuya's innate magic does not work on pushion information bodies, as shown by his battle with the parasites.

That said, it also can explain why Tatsuya cannot heal magic exhaustion. If the magic calculation area is just transmitting information from the pushion information body to the brain, and from the brain into psions and magic rituals, then it might be the main core of thought, the pushion information body, and not the transmitter, the brain, that is overworked. Hence he cannot heal magical exhaustion because he cannot effect pushions.

That said, whether he can become immortal or not depends on whether a person's pushion information body can interact with a physical body indefinitely.

Using Regrowth a few times a day to maintain his youthful appearance is definitely not enough to cause magical exhaustion, seeing how much he used it during Yokohama and Reminiscence chapters during the battles against the GAA armies without suffering magic exhaustion.

I personally would see it as him being able to keep peak physical condition, but he would still end up dying due to not being able to affect the pushion information body somewhere between 100 and 125 years of life (assuming people die not only of physical weakness at that age, but due to natural weakening of the pushion information body).

If the pushion information body does not weaken or lessen it interaction with a physical body though, he could probably gain effective immortality.

Last edited by Sinarblood; 2015-01-31 at 12:52.
Sinarblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 20:51   Link #755
Armando99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinarblood View Post
If that was the case every time he used regrowth on someone they would forget the got injured in the first place, which is not the case.
Retaining memory can be explained despite all physical traits being reset via this quote from volume 9

If that is the case Memories could very well be mostly stored in the pushion information body, and when a character gets brain damage they only lose them because a section of the brain is no longer able to receive that information.

As we know, Tatsuya's innate magic does not work on pushion information bodies, as shown by his battle with the parasites.

That said, it also can explain why Tatsuya cannot heal magic exhaustion. If the magic calculation area is just transmitting information from the pushion information body to the brain, and from the brain into psions and magic rituals, then it might be the main core of thought, the pushion information body, and not the transmitter, the brain, that is overworked. Hence he cannot heal magical exhaustion because he cannot effect pushions.

That said, whether he can become immortal or not depends on whether a person's pushion information body can interact with a physical body indefinitely.

Using Regrowth a few times a day to maintain his youthful appearance is definitely not enough to cause magical exhaustion, seeing how much he used it during Yokohama and Reminiscence chapters during the battles against the GAA armies without suffering magic exhaustion.

I personally would see it as him being able to keep peak physical condition, but he would still end up dying due to not being able to affect the pushion information body somewhere between 100 and 125 years of life (assuming people die not only of physical weakness at that age, but due to natural weakening of the pushion information body).

If the pushion information body does not weaken or lessen it interaction with a physical body though, he could probably gain effective immortality.

I think this is the classic case of overthinking this ability. We need to remember the "price" he has to pay when he uses this ability specially when it comes to "healing" injuries.
Armando99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 09:36   Link #756
Sinarblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armando99 View Post
I think this is the classic case of overthinking this ability. We need to remember the "price" he has to pay when he uses this ability specially when it comes to "healing" injuries.
I will say that it is nearly impossible to overthink things when it comes to magic in Mahouka. I think that it is for instance, quite important to understand why a person does not lose their memories when their physical form is restored to an earlier point in it's time. That it can also adequately explain why magical exhaustion cannot be healed is a bonus.

That said my point in the discussion wasn't to say whether or not he would be able to do so, but whether or not he could.

He might not want to experience the pain he feels over the course of a few hours in the span of under a second, but he could do so if he wanted to.

Pain could perhaps kill someone if they go into shock from it, or perhaps a pain induced heart attack if they already had a bad heart condition, but if either of these were possible for Tatsuya, he would have died the very first time he used regrowth on someone besides himeself (when he used regrowth on Miyuki in volume 8). That was already above and beyond what a human mind should be able to comprehend. That it didn't means that he is at a point where he cannot fall into shock from pain.

Using regrowth on himself once a day should be enough to keep a youthful appearance, though every few hours would perhaps be more prudent in both lessening the pain and in case something else takes his attention away at a time he would normally use regrowth.

This wouldn't be enough to make him live forever in my opinion since when he was trying to heal Honami it was stated
Quote:
Originally Posted by volume 8
Even though he could rewind material matter, his power was helpless to turn back the clock of life.
which since Sakurai was alive at the time hinted that there is a non-physical cause of both her death, and of the maintenance of life itself (in which case, it is my theory that as described in my last post it is linked to the pushion information body).

That said, there is a definite advantage to maintaining a youthful body throughout life and always being physically at your best.
Sinarblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-02, 10:03   Link #757
MalaIT

And if there is no wound/pain in the 24h then there is no "price"...
Old 2015-02-02, 13:13   Link #758
Iramohs

Quote:
Using regrowth on himself once a day should be enough to keep a youthful appearance, though every few hours would perhaps be more prudent in both lessening the pain and in case something else takes his attention away at a time he would normally use regrowth.
Quote:
Restoration was accompanied by pain.

This was an important element that could affect concentration and prevent magic invocation. He had already grown accustomed to pain, but even he was not able to avoid the temporary hesitation brought on by pain.

Utilizing a full backup of Restoration could block the pain, but under those circumstances, Restoration would temporarily monopolize the entire Magic Calculation Area, crucially delaying any counterattack.
When he casts a full body Regrowth the pain is actually blocked out. He only experiences the pain backlash when he does a partial regrowth on himself or casts it on another person.
Old 2015-02-02, 13:25   Link #759
Blonddude42

Is what he feels during regrowth limited to pain? From what I remember it is whatever that person felt during that time. The reason he feels the pain is because he only uses it when someone gets hurt, right?
Blonddude42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-04, 02:01   Link #760
Pierre

Wait a minute? I thought the pain was only if he healed others? I might have misread that section, but that is how I read it, if he uses the ability on others he feels there pain.

It makes no sense for him, because he feels any pain inflicted to himself regardless, so why would he feel pain twice?

Also with Honmai, it was a moot point, ie like someone mentioned, her body had been created in a way that it had detoriated to far, so even if he rewound her, it was already past a fatal point. The way I view that situation is some is fatal wounded, but its a slow death, the wound occured beyond the time limit, so even if he rewound there would be no point as she would be in a dying state perpetually.

Also whose to say his inborn powers can't expand. Ie he loses the handicap on regrowth, or extends the phase from 24 hrs to more. Or if his decomposition power expands to the point where he can destroy entire areas without the use of the sniper rifle. I don't know if its been made clear if this are skills that are maxed out from the get go, over if they can be trained like any other skill. I mean he is still only 16 or so.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epic awesome badass