AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-02-05, 02:10   Link #61
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Going forward does not necessarily mean worse. People could learn that flying croissants are unneeded. Exploding cherry blossoms too. But then again, we are talking about anime fans here who only care about how the subs look.

Thank you for reminding me again why I hate anime fans.
Don't go dissin' on getfresh for that, since he was (past tense ) actually quite an advocate for restraint in his later days. There's plenty to be said for why unnecesarily elaborate typesetting is unneeded (nay, detrimental), but getfresh was not a contributer to the problem.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 02:18   Link #62
DryFire
Panda Herder

I think he's saying the new wave of typesetters willl do that and that's why he's mad that one of the old guard is leaving.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 02:55   Link #63
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Don't go dissin' on getfresh for that, since he was (past tense ) actually quite an advocate for restraint in his later days. There's plenty to be said for why unnecesarily elaborate typesetting is unneeded (nay, detrimental), but getfresh was not a contributer to the problem.
Read what I wrote again. There is not a single thing there that involved getfresh. (Okay, maybe one thing, but we both know what I am refering to.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 14:34   Link #64
sangofe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
No it wouldnt. Depends on your definition of great. This would either set us back to the early fansub days which would a blessing or send us into royal hell.
Yes, it would, I'm used to A-E typesetting quality.
But...this is going off topic.
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 22:03   Link #65
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

that was an onpurposs with the exploding cherry blossoms and I'm damn proud of it ^_^^_^_^__^_^_^_^_^_^__^^
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 22:27   Link #66
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

oo, i am so witty.
ForeverGoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 23:43   Link #67
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by getfresh
that was an onpurposs with the exploding cherry blossoms and I'm damn proud of it ^_^^_^_^__^_^_^_^_^_^__^^
Yes, and it wasnt explody enough!
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 02:08   Link #68
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

If I see my more of this babble I'm going to decide that this thread doesn't have a reason to exist. Let's keep it to people who have retired and why they are retiring. It is not a typesetting discussion.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-02, 00:43   Link #69
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
The best typesetters never seem to stick around all that long.

Anyone remember fishisan or codev0id... getfresh left... Demn's all but done

Such is life I guess

-Tofu "will never retire, just fades in and out like the wind" sensei
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 21:12   Link #70
dojikyo

Thanks to getfresh and all individuals who work or have worked on fansubs.
dojikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-03, 21:16   Link #71
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

With the amount of time getfresh put into each episode, it doesn't surprise me, really.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-21, 06:18   Link #72
shinjipierre
Computer graphist

I join the ranks of getfresh, after, waouh, can't remember... 6-7 years of fansubbing ?

I might still continue the SSA -> after effects script, though.
Old 2006-04-22, 08:20   Link #73
DeathWolf

and one more leaves^^
i think the anime situation & scene has changed a lot...
not to forget fansubs take so much time that in the end you realize how rl can get behind when fansubbing. Good luck@shinji for his future^^
DeathWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 17:24   Link #74
Lyzel

Good riddance. Geez. OP should get his/her head out of the sand. The world does not revolve around them. If they aren't happy with fansubbing then they should stop, no one is forcing them to do subs.. and well, IMHO, it's best to get rid of the whiners.
Lyzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-24, 18:24   Link #75
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzel
Good riddance. Geez. OP should get his/her head out of the sand. The world does not revolve around them. If they aren't happy with fansubbing then they should stop, no one is forcing them to do subs.. and well, IMHO, it's best to get rid of the whiners.
Who the hell are you?
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 22:28   Link #76
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

I'm retiring too. I've subbed about 6 years and it was really fun. I've met a lot of cool subbers, leechers, chatters, etc. Shout out to getfresh, spawk, cibb, Dragosmore, Locutis, MrBrown, ths1138 and all the other people I've worked with. You guys are the best at what you do.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 22:47   Link #77
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Fansubbing is a hobby, once it becomes more than that i do think its time to move on. Subbers who have spent years doing this and are relising its no longer fun for them are leaving the scene. Lots of things lead to this, but mostly its the attitude of people. I've been into the fansubbing scene for almost 2 years now, and over this time ive seen anime fansubs change so much its scary.

People are now demanding professional subs, kareoke, ultra high quality video, and within a few hours of a raw being released.

Honestly i dont understand why groups dont just say sod it, and drop all the fancy dohickies and just go back to the nasics of just adding subtitles to the anime. Scrap the fancy karaeoke, scrap h.264 (which i hate with a firey vengence), and go back to the basics. Thats bring us (the community) a subtitled anime.

The community has grown greedy and pathetic. If they dont get professional qaulity releases they feel cheated and start making demands. Leechers grab an episode and disappear, all of this just adds up on the groups and eventually causes them to split, have members leave, or just close down.

To be honest, ive never had a problem with the quality of the old divx/xvid .avi releases. Sure they arent up to the high quality that people demand today, but they were still of a high quality, and watchable.

To those that have retired, good luck in your life, and thank you for all the releases you've done upto now.
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-26, 23:40   Link #78
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin
Honestly i dont understand why groups dont just say sod it, and drop all the fancy dohickies and just go back to the nasics of just adding subtitles to the anime. Scrap the fancy karaeoke, scrap h.264 (which i hate with a firey vengence), and go back to the basics. Thats bring us (the community) a subtitled anime. [...] To be honest, ive never had a problem with the quality of the old divx/xvid .avi releases. Sure they arent up to the high quality that people demand today, but they were still of a high quality, and watchable.
Well, I would say that, for at least for a part of the community (myself included, I guess...), part of the fun in fansubbing is the challenge of learning new things and trying to outdo yourself (and maybe, in a healthy way, outdoing others). In my experience, that's especially true of people like karaoke typesetters and encoders. While this has an unfortunate side-effect of increasing the expectations of leechers, it can also help keep things challenging and interesting to the people doing the work. If there were no new technologies to master, no "fancy" karaoke effects to try, and no challenging typesetting worth attempting, it wouldn't take very long before you reach a plateau in terms of what there is to learn in this hobby. And, at least for those types of people seeking a challenge, that'd probably be one of the main contributing factors in retiring (when you have nothing left to learn, it can become like any other job).

Now, one could say that this would force groups to focus more on improving their translation quality - certainly, that wouldn't be a bad thing. But ultimately, I don't think fansubbing is primarily about providing translated anime to the masses; I think it's about the fansubbers working as a team, having fun, and being challenged in the process. The fact that the byproducts of that learning and teamwork can be shared with others is a nice side-benefit. You couldn't pay me enough money to subtitle anime full-time, but if it's fun and for my own benefit/learning, it's amazing how the time flies... Your mileage may vary, of course.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 00:59   Link #79
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

True, its always good to challange yourself, but when that challange becomes a burden, as it is for a lot of groups, thewn something is seriously wrong.

Quote:
I think it's about the fansubbers working as a team, having fun, and being challenged in the process
This is my point, more and more people are feeling its no longer fun, they feel its now a chore that they hate doing. Somewhere along the line fansubbing has lost itself. Throw everything out and start from scratch again. if you enjoy using the latest stuff like h.264 *burns it alive* then thats where you go, but if you dont, you shouldnt feel pressured into doing it just to please others.

A lot of the latest stuff is just a pain, h.264 included. Sure its a sweet encode, if your computer can run it that is. When i run it i usually watch my processor useage go from 10-15% with normal encodes upto 100% and stays there. It gets laggy, audio and video go out of synch and it just sucks.

I now work as an encoder for 2 groups, and i refuse to use h.264 because i dont think its a viable encode just yet. To many people have problems viewing it. And while you may feel that others watching it are just a 'side effect', for me, i like to know that my work is being watched and enjoyed by as many people as possible, not just those with a high spec computer.
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 01:20   Link #80
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

If they want it THAT badly, they'll have to do it themselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliesin
People are now demanding professional subs, kareoke, ultra high quality video, and within a few hours of a raw being released.
Here's my take on this: If they want their subs that quickly, let them do it on their own. Or join a group. Maybe they'll get a taste of what we subbers have to go through every time an ep gets released. Maybe they'll appreciate what we do all the more having walked a mile in our shoes.

--Ian "IJ" Justman, editor and sound, Oyasumi.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote