AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2015-02-03, 16:17   Link #21
Blaat

When I saw the thread title I thought to myself there is no way this is about that Aria series. Colour me surprised when I saw the opening post it finding out that it is about that Aria series/ I thought they had adapted nearly everything or is there still material left to cover an entire season?
Old 2015-02-03, 16:20   Link #22
Grand Phoenix
The Master of Turkeys

Let me break up the excitement by saying I've never seen (but have heard of) this series . Going by everyone's reactions, it sounds like it'd be interesting to watch. I have a list of anime stashed somewhere that I'd like to look into when there's time, and if memory serves me right Aria's on there (and if it isn't, I'll be sure to amend that).
Grand Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 16:30   Link #23
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
When I saw the thread title I thought to myself there is no way this is about that Aria series. Colour me surprised when I saw the opening post it finding out that it is about that Aria series/ I thought they had adapted nearly everything or is there still material left to cover an entire season?
That's the thing ... they HAD adapted nearly everything. There are a few things in the manga that were not adapted, decent OVA material, for example. But there is no reason why Amano couldn't write something else up unofficially. I hope....
Old 2015-02-03, 16:54   Link #24
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Phoenix View Post
Let me break up the excitement by saying I've never seen (but have heard of) this series . Going by everyone's reactions, it sounds like it'd be interesting to watch. I have a list of anime stashed somewhere that I'd like to look into when there's time, and if memory serves me right Aria's on there (and if it isn't, I'll be sure to amend that).
Have you seen stuff like Hidamari Sketch, Sketchbook: Full Colors or Tamayura and enjoyed them? If so you should be jumping on this series right now. I personaly find Aria to have something that no other show has quite replicated. It's a very slow show, plot is virtually non-existing and the setting is as much of an intersting character as any of the actual characters in the series. It's an incredibly soothing experience and I keep coming back to it from time to time as a confort-food kind of show. And that soundtrack. That amazing soundtrack. I'm actually listening to it right now:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-02-03, 18:39   Link #25
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I thought they had adapted nearly everything or is there still material left to cover an entire season?
Most of the meat of the manga has already been adapted so to speak. It's likely The Avvenire will be an anime-original story (nothing unusual for the Aria anime), or adapted from chapters that the anime skipped.

I'm hoping it'll be the former case, since the visual we have currently has Akari, Aika and Alice being gloveless.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 19:00   Link #26
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

UW%#hekrjherkhj429o3yj982oqwgjidkgnwrn4jijeg9sdhvi oewnyon24w83hwge8sdvuibgi2t8wg9use8t9w4ghtuiebdjk

/ded

Sorry, I got too excited there. Well, this definitely piqued my interest. [/understatement of the century]
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 19:01   Link #27
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm surprised by the surprise here, to be honest. Sato Junichi was something of a stalking horse for what modern anime has become, and Aria one of the primordial examples. If anything I'm shocked this hasn't happened sooner, given that the industry has basically spent the last few years catching up to where Junichi was a decade ago (albeit generally not at the same level).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 19:04   Link #28
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I'm very hyped for this, you can never have enough Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
Edit: I hope Avvenire (Arrival) means it's about Ai's arrival to Mars, which was covered in Ch. 3 'Starting Off' in the guidebook.
"Avvenire" means "future", so well there are still good chances that this new Aria anime will be set after the last events depicted in Origination. Hopefully...

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 19:06   Link #29
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

@GE:The surprise is rather in that there's barely any source material left to be adapted, so the first question that would come to mind is what are they going to do with this. I would have been ecstatic but not surprised if the announcement had been for Amanchu (another, more recent Kozue Amano's series), but us getting more Aria comes completely out of the left field. At least for me.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 19:08   Link #30
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxorMG View Post
Edit: I hope Avvenire (Arrival) means it's about Ai's arrival to Mars, which was covered in Ch. 3 'Starting Off' in the guidebook.
I scanlated that chapter (and the other two Ai-centred chapters from the two other series guidebooks). You can find them on Batoto if you want to read them. Interesting to see Amano-sensei's take on a more mature-looking Akari-sempai.
Old 2015-02-03, 19:21   Link #31
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I'm surprised by the surprise here, to be honest. Sato Junichi was something of a stalking horse for what modern anime has become, and Aria one of the primordial examples. If anything I'm shocked this hasn't happened sooner, given that the industry has basically spent the last few years catching up to where Junichi was a decade ago (albeit generally not at the same level).
Part of the reason for the surprise (as Proto pointed out) is because the anime seasons have covered a very large amount of all the existing manga source material (with a few exceptions) and the adaptation was generally regarded (even by the mangaka) as a very faithful one.

Junichi deftly conveyed to a large degree what Amano wrote and drew (though he put his own harmony on the melody, of course).

Another huge difference between what Amano created (and Junichi adapted) is the near absence of fan service sexuality or yuri hints. Heck - Hidamari Sketch has more of it than the Aria series (some might say way more). The other various Kirara manga anime adaptations also have more of this element. The only thing I can think of that comes close to what Aria conveys is either Sketchbook: Full Colors (sadly only one season, though the manga is still going) and the Tamayura franchise. (And even that has the silly elements of Norie's shota tendencies.)

The Tamayura franchise, though, is a story centered around a coming of age tale from the starting point of someone who has been "damaged" by the death of a close loved one and emotionally shut down for years before slowly beginning to wake up and come to terms with what happened. That is quite a difference compared to Akari's coming of age story through the prism of training to become a gondalier.

Aria has more elements of "mysticism" (especially the second anime season) as well, and a futuristic setting, while Tamayura is much more contemporary'ish (as is Sketchbook: Full Colors, for that matter).

So other than Sketchbook and Tamayura I really don't see the general trend of contemporary series trying to "catch up" to Aria. If anything, they are imitating and adding their own additions at best, and even though there may be good series adaptations from the Kirara manga (and other sources), they are still a step away from Aria - at least in my own opinion.
Old 2015-02-03, 19:31   Link #32
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just because they're trying to catch up doesn't mean they've caught up.

I would equate some of what you're talking about with shows like YnY and Rolling Girls, which are obviously trying to channel 90's/00's Gainax but are lacking the essence of what made that so special. You may argue that Aria has artistic qualities that most of the wanaabees don't have, but I would counter that there's a stylistic and thematic element here that's clearly commercially ascendant, and as such it still operates as a template for a lot of what we're seeing now.

As for the matter of insufficient source material, I'll defer to the experts on that. Lack of source material has rarely stopped sequels from being made if the commercial imperative were strong enough, but maybe Aria has been an exception. Though the reason for my surprise is still the same - if there was enough to do another series now (or they're going to go mostly original) I'm surprised it didn't happen years ago.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 20:11   Link #33
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Lack of source material has rarely stopped sequels from being made if the commercial imperative were strong enough, but maybe Aria has been an exception. Though the reason for my surprise is still the same - if there was enough to do another series now (or they're going to go mostly original) I'm surprised it didn't happen years ago.
It's been a while since there was any buzz about Aria so this announcement is both welcome and puzzling.

Myself I'd like to see a series of anime original episodes showing the other apprentice Undines we saw in the Origination series, the Singles operating the traghetto ferry.
Old 2015-02-03, 20:39   Link #34
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Give me a new season of Spice and Wolf with this and my life will be complete.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 21:56   Link #35
Valky
Radioactive

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Original story TV Series would be great but I'll be happy even if it's just an OVA.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-03, 23:46   Link #36
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Sounds suspiciously like an OVA to me. Very likely will cover all those chapters that never made it into either the Natural or the Origination.

Quote:
Jbut I would counter that there's a stylistic and thematic element here that's clearly commercially ascendant...
It would make more sense if ARIA was a best-seller to begin with, but during its airing, its sales were really modest -- this was before the time where DVD and BR sales started to represent the bottom line for production committees. And I don't think the manga's sales numbers jumped either. What's more, this is really really niche watching, as it's ridiculously mono no aware at times.

I mean, we had a whole half-episode for example devoted to still finding wonder despite getting lost and going to the wrong place. And another that was basically just Aika and Alice following Akari around Neo Venezia for the whole day.

Last edited by Myssa Rei; 2015-02-04 at 00:01. Reason: Sorry about that ... jumped the gun too early. ^^
Myssa Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-04, 03:09   Link #37
Valky
Radioactive

The DVD/BDs sales were pretty good though according to this site. It averaged 9.6k+ to 13k+ so it's above 'modest'. Sure it's not groundbreaking, but still good nonetheless.
Valky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-04, 04:12   Link #38
Sacredus

It's happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Give me a new season of Spice and Wolf with this and my life will be complete.
This. And FMP 3, and Index 3, Haruhi 3, and Half... Anyway, if new Aria season/OAV is possible, then new Spice and Wolf is possible as such as anime that I just mentioned.
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-04, 04:26   Link #39
Vaans
NEET

When I saw the announcement of the new Aria, I had a big smile on my face. I was hoping that after franchise has ended with Origination, Amano and SatoJun would revive this series and bring us the wonderful world of Neo-Venezia once again.

I don't mind if its anime original. I'm hoping it'll be a story about Ai and undine Akari. I really want to experience the life in Aria once again.

http://coolfunnyquotes.com .”
Vaans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-04, 04:30   Link #40
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
It's happening!

This. And FMP 3, and Index 3, Haruhi 3, and Half... Anyway, if new Aria season/OAV is possible, then new Spice and Wolf is possible as such as anime that I just mentioned.
Damt you guys, you beat me in it! I was just about saying all I need is FMP3 and SaW3 and can die happy