AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-02-15, 00:08   Link #21
Forsaken_Infinity

Okay, fair enough. However, please don't jump to conclusions. Not all nudity is objectification. In Fujiko's case, it is representative of her sexually liberated nature and not objectification.
Old 2015-02-15, 10:23   Link #22
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Not to mention that Mine Fujiko was written and directed by women with the intention of taking a fanservice character from the original Lupin series and making her the central protagonist.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-15, 15:31   Link #23
Forsaken_Infinity

I don't want to clutter the thread too much with this discussion since this is a thread asking for recommendations tailored to personal taste but I think that even in the original series, Fujiko is not just a token fanservice character. I would consider her to be an empowered woman even there. She is a flamboyant femme fatale and I think occasional nudity is much more warranted as such than with typical fanservice characters.

Just as you put it, I was insisting on Mine Fujiko in particular because it's a re-imagination of a popular franchise that is so much more a psychological thriller with a strong woman at the center than just a nude display.

Nudity is a very common motif in all of art. Perhaps it's possible to argue much of it as objectification, but I think a lot of it celebrates human sexuality instead. Discrediting a work simply due to the presence of nudity is rather distasteful but I don't mean to accuse the OP here of any such thing. She has already picked many shows where fanservice is much more unwarranted in comparison anyway.

I still recommend Mine Fujiko as a good show with good production values and a very strong cast to future visitors to the thread.

As apology for being selfish with this, I have a couple of very recent recommendations to drop haha.

Hanayamata is about Yosakoi, a style of dance from Japan. It's also about a group of girls coming together for a cause. The art is "moe", but the show is good and there isn't much fanservice aside from the artstyle. The ending is just a tad bit open but the story is self-contained within the show.

Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji is a perhaps typical shoujo show but with a clear resolution. There are occasional disagreeable elements in there with regards to the behavior of the characters and their relationship, but that's life?

Locodol is about a small town duo who become idols to help advertise their town. There is some fanservice there, but it's very tame by anime standards. The show suffers from somewhat low production quality here and there but is otherwise charming.
Old 2015-02-15, 17:46   Link #24
AnimeFangirl

Thanks, added. I got a bit caught up trying all the new shows (so I don't fall behind again) but I will totally try these shows soon.
Old 2015-02-15, 19:22   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

They don't quite make the two-year window, but I'd recommend two original NoitaminA series - AnoHana and Tsuritama. Both tell complete stories with actual ending (and very well).

Last edited by Guardian Enzo; 2015-02-17 at 08:51.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-17, 05:11   Link #26
AnimeFangirl

The two-year thing is just a guideline, it's not hard and fast. AnoHana I tried and didn't like. Tsuritama came up in the ocean thread and sounds good so I'll add it, thanks... hmm, looks like I have it there already. I'll bump it up in the watch order.