Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-02-25, 06:19   Link #21
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Back on topic, the only Shinkai movie that is remotely comparable to Ghibli is Children Who Chase Lost Voices, which unsurprisingly is his worst series by a long shot. It isn't bad per se, but it wasn't that great either.
It was the least incestual of his opus, that's why I probably appreciate it more than his other works (sorry, I was thinking of Kotonoha no Niwa, but I don't think that was the best he had to show), except for perhaps Kumo ni Mukou.

Last edited by cyth; 2015-02-25 at 06:33.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 06:39   Link #22
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
It was the least incestual of his opus, that's why I probably appreciate it more than his other works (sorry, I was thinking of Kotonoha no Niwa, but I don't think that was the best he had to show), except for perhaps Kumo ni Mukou.
Place Promised in Our Early Days is imo his 2nd best after 5 Centimeters Per Second.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 08:00   Link #23
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by itisjustme View Post
You know you're kinda putting words in his mouth and lambasting him for it. He has his opinion, I don't see what's the problem. Just because you find it offensive
I don't find it offensive. But a lot of anime fans do, or at least seem to. So if a sympathetic reason could be found for why he's quite judgmental and critical...

But oh well. I guess that the current growing view on Miyazaki will likely persist, for good or for ill. I thank totoum for his informative reply anyway.
Old 2015-02-25, 08:30   Link #24
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I've only seen them once, but for my money it's Voices of a Distant Star > Place Promised > 0.18 kilometers per hour. .18km/h felt like really obsessed with the characters giving us the blow by blow of their emotions and while I know it's sort of like a diary for them or whatever it got old happening thrice and stuff, to the point where their feelings blend together and I didn't get a sense of who's who. Place Promised had the problem of feeling too quiet and not telling us enough, then Voices of a Distant Star is Shinkai's best 'cause the emotional internalization or whatever actually worked with the setting to create distance, while still making a sense of communication between each character to get a stronger feel for them. Like they're not super sugoi characters but the story didn't drag on longer than it needed to. It's ironically Shinkai's most down to Earth film.

Can't comment on that film about the kid in love with the adult(?) or any other stuff though.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-25, 10:11   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I would love to get into a thing about Kaguya, which I think is sublime, but that would be derailing a Shinkai topic a bit much. I will just say, though, that I think the notion that later Ghibli is inferior is patently wrong - to my tastes, of course. I think Ponyo is among Hayao's best pure children's films, and when viewed as the largely autobiographical work it is, Kaze Tachinu has a real profundity. I also think Arrietty and Poppy Hill are excellent.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-28, 02:42   Link #26
JKL
Kyuuketsuki

Shinkai is only really impressive on a visual level, more so in the early days when he was the sole project animator. The content is often airy fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
Can't comment on that film about the kid in love with the adult(?) or any other stuff though.
More of a watch for Shinkai fans.
JKL is offline   Reply With Quote