AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-04-06, 22:46   Link #101
Esclair

They did up the TRAP factor by 50% though.

Also, Arslan might be weak physically, as he is a 11 year old Prince, yet in episode 1 we're already shown how he is clear headed in the face of danger and is wise beyond his years when it comes to dealing with the unknown.
Esclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-06, 22:53   Link #102
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Well, it is the kingdom of Pars, and full of Parsians, so...
It's ironic that the original story of Amir Arslan is staged in the historical Constantinople(Istanbul). This new version revolved Parisa and countries on Silk Road. Don't know why some people think Merchant Republics are involved.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 04:03   Link #103
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Just going to chime in to say, I'm one of those who loved this. Coming into this fresh, so wasn't sure about it, but the episode was just wonderful, looking forward to more. Intrigued by the plot and setting, although the delivery was just a tad on the heavy-handed side. Oh well, it got the point across.
The design doesn't bother me, it's not like it's ugly, has almost no frames or is constantly off-model. It looks carefully done, not sloppy or lazy, that's all that matters to me.
If this thread so far is any indication though, I expect lots of hate from long-term fans That's a shame.

@Mikethemaster: it would help if you distinguished real gays from yaoi. The two have rather little in common, and that's what made your comment offensive. Someone saying they don't want to see any 'gays' in their action shows, as if their sexuality somehow influenced their suitability is deeply offensive imo.
Old 2015-04-07, 08:59   Link #104
VyseLegendaire
Sky Pirate

Send a message via MSN to VyseLegendaire
I noticed a bunch of people are moaning about this opening chapter/episode being a waste of time and not very dramatic, some even said it was worse than FMAs opening ep.

Now frankly this is asinine. Do you guys all know what happens in Arslan later on?

This first episode is important in establishing major element of characterization for the main character, ARSLAN, and major plot points that happens later on down the line. Come on people. It was not just a recreational filler episode...

G + : http://goo.gl/KLYOEf
GFAQs : http://goo.gl/deehk9
Disqus : http://goo.gl/CNvEDt
VyseLegendaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 09:06   Link #105
Draco Spirit

First episodes are all about setup and introductions... this one seems pretty good for that.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 09:10   Link #106
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VyseLegendaire View Post
I noticed a bunch of people are moaning about this opening chapter/episode being a waste of time and not very dramatic, some even said it was worse than FMAs opening ep.

Now frankly this is asinine. Do you guys all know what happens in Arslan later on?

This first episode is important in establishing major element of characterization for the main character, ARSLAN, and major plot points that happens later on down the line. Come on people. It was not just a recreational filler episode...
Well, the entire episode didn't exist in the original book, and you know how people completely obsessed with "source material" are with adaptations.

I do agree that it was a nice addition to give insights as to how characters Arsland and Estel (likely) developed into what we know in the actual story.
Old 2015-04-07, 13:21   Link #107
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

not really my taste... but I like the setting so far
Arslan is a very interesting person.. and this is like watching Akatsuki no Yona in Persian version

if somehow that Lithu--- or something's slave boy is actually a girl.. then this anime would be very perfect. I really wish to see them crossing swords in the end and get married... and build a better kingdom where everyone is equal

well, I hope our prince isn't too weak-willed when he is in the battlefield
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 19:42   Link #108
Maxulous
mono no aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by VyseLegendaire View Post

What happened to having faith in the audience? Most typical shounen (which Arslan is not) don't put that much faith in their readership for obvious reasons...

It was far from incompetent but frankly an unnecessarily rote 'shounen-shit' laced introduction. All it really did was beat AS themes around the head with a stick. The OVA managed to address these issues in good time, whilst moving the plot forward and maintaining the presence of the MC's intellect. The throwaway about the King's dickish attitude towards his son is spoilerific too if you ask me. These things will crop up tenfold in later episodes anyway (well, hopefully).

EDIT: Oh yeahs, that giraffe scene *facepalm*
Maxulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-07, 23:34   Link #109
scififan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post

He's 11 years old. A normal child at his age(with the peaceful life) is not lkely to get violent. Due to his social standing, he is more likely to get arrogant. Soon, he will become a child solider. Most child soldiers(maybe page and knight in training) at "his time" are not ready for battles. The POW displays quite unusual fighting capacity.

It's just my opinion. Lusitania soliders' dress resembles the custom of Eastern Roman Empire(known as Byzatine to the westen Europe). Their religious ideology is monolithic one, and they don't tolerate other religion. It reminds me of...hmmm...
The historical struggle of Parsian and Eastern Roman Empire is mutual invasion, and there's no real winner. Pars in the anime are at the defensive.
scififan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 00:47   Link #110
Chosen_Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
not really my taste... but I like the setting so far
Arslan is a very interesting person.. and this is like watching Akatsuki no Yona in Persian version

if somehow that Lithu--- or something's slave boy is actually a girl.. then this anime would be very perfect. I really wish to see them crossing swords in the end and get married... and build a better kingdom where everyone is equal

Be careful with your wording, you just inspired a few fujoshi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxulous View Post
What happened to having faith in the audience? Most typical shounen (which Arslan is not) don't put that much faith in their readership for obvious reasons...

It was far from incompetent but frankly an unnecessarily rote 'shounen-shit' laced introduction. All it really did was beat AS themes around the head with a stick. The OVA managed to address these issues in good time, whilst moving the plot forward and maintaining the presence of the MC's intellect. The throwaway about the King's dickish attitude towards his son is spoilerific too if you ask me. These things will crop up tenfold in later episodes anyway (well, hopefully).

EDIT: Oh yeahs, that giraffe scene *facepalm*
As a anime only follower of this series I only guessed that there was some kind of fight going on between his mother and father and that it had to do with Arslan and that we would find out later in the series, but now I (and others) know to expect it just from your comment.

The problem is someone point out something as a spoiler is a spoiler in and of itself and will ruin the experience for some (not me unless it's something I'm really invested in) because instead of letting them find the hints you are pointing them out for them, please have some consideration for others.
Old 2015-04-08, 02:16   Link #111
Mikethemaster

Location: Celebrating that Naruhina is cannon! :D Oh were I live Evansville Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
Just going to chime in to say, I'm one of those who loved this. Coming into this fresh, so wasn't sure about it, but the episode was just wonderful, looking forward to more. Intrigued by the plot and setting, although the delivery was just a tad on the heavy-handed side. Oh well, it got the point across.
The design doesn't bother me, it's not like it's ugly, has almost no frames or is constantly off-model. It looks carefully done, not sloppy or lazy, that's all that matters to me.
If this thread so far is any indication though, I expect lots of hate from long-term fans That's a shame.

@Mikethemaster: it would help if you distinguished real gays from yaoi. The two have rather little in common, and that's what made your comment offensive. Someone saying they don't want to see any 'gays' in their action shows, as if their sexuality somehow influenced their suitability is deeply offensive imo.
Oh I get you yeah I should of said Yaoi instead of gays.
Old 2015-04-08, 03:38   Link #112
Maxulous
mono no aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
As a anime only follower of this series I only guessed that there was some kind of fight going on between his mother and father and that it had to do with Arslan and that we would find out later in the series, but now I (and others) know to expect it just from your comment.

The problem is someone point out something as a spoiler is a spoiler in and of itself and will ruin the experience for some (not me unless it's something I'm really invested in) because instead of letting them find the hints you are pointing them out for them, please have some consideration for others.
I see where you're coming from, but it sounds like you're stretching what I said. I didn't infer any correlation between the King's disposition and the prickly relationship with his Queen - that's all you. I've merely suggested that Arslan is seeing this side of his father much sooner.

Either way, as far as Arakawa's iteration goes, I'm pretty much in the dark too. Heck, she might have something else in mind for all I know!
Maxulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 04:12   Link #113
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethemaster View Post
Oh I get you yeah I should of said Yaoi instead of gays.
the prince is TRAP so it doesnt matter r8?
Old 2015-04-08, 05:01   Link #114
Arya

Wow, a lot of fuss already
Watched the episode, this is not my genre, but I really liked the settings. It reminded of Yona. But to be honest I hope it won't be another story of a delicate and noble prince surrounded by dragons strong and super-loyal soldiers/tutors that protect him along his journey around his lost kingdom.
I'll give it another couple of episodes to see how it develops.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 07:52   Link #115
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by scififan View Post
It's just my opinion. Lusitania soliders' dress resembles the custom of Eastern Roman Empire(known as Byzatine to the westen Europe). Their religious ideology is monolithic one, and they don't tolerate other religion. It reminds me of...hmmm...
The historical struggle of Parsian and Eastern Roman Empire is mutual invasion, and there's no real winner. Pars in the anime are at the defensive.
Wasn't Lusitania a roman province somewhere around Portugal? So a Roman influence seems about right.
Also, unrelated, there are really pretty horses by that name.
Old 2015-04-08, 13:47   Link #116
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
Wow, a lot of fuss already
Watched the episode, this is not my genre, but I really liked the settings. It reminded of Yona. But to be honest I hope it won't be another story of a delicate and noble prince surrounded by dragons strong and super-loyal soldiers/tutors that protect him along his journey around his lost kingdom.
I'll give it another couple of episodes to see how it develops.
If you kind of a want an intro to the story of Arslan in a short amount of time to find out if you'd be interested in this series, I'd suggest taking a look at the old movies/OVA from the 90s if you can find it (just saw that they are on Youtube if you want to check them out). I rather enjoyed it, but then again, it might not be your cup of tea, but it can give you an idea if you want to see this series or not.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-08, 15:49   Link #117
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

*watches the Ep1 of Arslan TV series
*go back and watch ep of Arslan OAV series

good god what the the hell did they do to Arlsan
Old 2015-04-08, 21:28   Link #118
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Hmmm well not to bad of a start the prince seems to be useless hopefully this will keep a good pace to it
Old 2015-04-09, 04:44   Link #119
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
If you kind of a want an intro to the story of Arslan in a short amount of time to find out if you'd be interested in this series, I'd suggest taking a look at the old movies/OVA from the 90s if you can find it (just saw that they are on Youtube if you want to check them out). I rather enjoyed it, but then again, it might not be your cup of tea, but it can give you an idea if you want to see this series or not.
Thanks. But I'll wait for the series to show itself, my true only gripe is the MC and since I'm reading different opinions on how he is / had to be it's better I don't get influenced by the source or a different take of that.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-09, 05:10   Link #120
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Hmmm well not to bad of a start the prince seems to be useless hopefully this will keep a good pace to it
I didn't think he was useless :/ In particular, he seems pretty intelligent for an 11 y.o. While he's a product of his society, he's demonstrating a willingness to engage with opposing viewpoints and a curiosity to learn and probably an aptitude for philosophical thinking. Hardly bad qualities for a ruler.

The only thing average about him so far is his fighting ability. But you know what they say about judging a fish by its ability to climb trees. Again, only 11. My bet is, he'll toughen up anyways.