*Graphic Designer

Spoiler for Episode 13:
MagicaLideaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 23:57   Link #1162
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbayker View Post
You'll find out next week why Souma is struggling with this assignment. If you can't wait there's always the manga. :P
I've since learned that whatever question I may have because of the newest episode is always answered by the following episode, so I'll just wait until next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Really? I recall the white-haired girl saying that he would make something good which contracts that. I think it more suggest that perhaps Souma's failings here may not necessary be linked to how innovated his dish is.
She also said that "I can't believe he's planning to make that.. He really must want to fail the test" or something along those lines.

I'm saying that what he made might've been something good, but was not what somebody who's going to a hotel breakfast buffet might have expected to have, or might not be as surprising as Erina's or the other's dishes.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 00:40   Link #1163
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Or probably not something suitable for the style of serving which was buffet style.
Old 2015-06-27, 00:57   Link #1164
Chosen_Hero

Man the studio is so far up Erina's ass that anytime she opens her mouth I'm expecting them to spit out of it, good thing I read the manga or I would be rolling my eyes every single time she appears, the clichéd ojou-sama act has gotten really tired by now.

Meh, good episode regardless of that, at least it's a better adaptation than most other anime.
Old 2015-06-27, 03:22   Link #1165
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
It's not a dud, it just has a limited shelf life, which doesn't lend itself well to buffet dining.
This. When they revealed what he was cooking, it becomes obvious why his egg dish would be troublesome.

A good souffle is about air and lightness. It loses the air and lightness if it sits too long on table before it is eaten. It would collapse on itself and become a stodgy mess. That's why souffles are always served straight from the oven and eaten immediately when served.

His souffle-style egg probably lost its airiness when sitting on the table/counter waiting to be selected for consumption. Thus, losing attractiveness. Food is eaten first by sight, smell, and even sound. The mouth is the last to eat. His eggs done in a souffle-style would have collapsed and lost its airiness before people could get a taste and experience the unique selling point.

Last edited by LKK; 2015-06-27 at 08:19. Reason: no hinting
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 10:37   Link #1166
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
This. When they revealed what he was cooking, it becomes obvious why his egg dish would be troublesome.

A good souffle is about air and lightness. It loses the air and lightness if it sits too long on table before it is eaten. It would collapse on itself and become a stodgy mess. That's why souffles are always served straight from the oven and eaten immediately when served.

His souffle-style egg probably lost its airiness when sitting on the table/counter waiting to be selected for consumption. Thus, losing attractiveness. Food is eaten first by sight, smell, and even sound. The mouth is the last to eat. His eggs done in a souffle-style would have collapsed and lost its airiness before people could get a taste and experience the unique selling point.
I don't understand a thing about this but the series is still fun
Old 2015-06-27, 11:08   Link #1167
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
Basically, a souffle left in the air spoils quickly, so you can't just churn out 200 of those as fast as possible and call it a day.

Also I suspect they take quite long to make ...

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 12:32   Link #1168
SinsI

Why not cover the souffle in something that won't allow the air to go out?
SinsI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 12:43   Link #1169
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
Why not cover the souffle in something that won't allow the air to go out?
The aroma and the presentation will decrease.
Old 2015-06-27, 12:51   Link #1170
Wandering Soul

Megumi's fan club just seems to continue growing doesn't ? By the time they all graduate she will be the person with the most connections.
Old 2015-06-27, 13:51   Link #1171
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaterasu4 View Post
He basically made the wrong dish for the wrong kind of service style. An egg soufflé would be perfect if he was cooking for a single person, but since this is a buffet style serving, you have to make something that can be constantly served and can afford to be sitting around, or at least not suffer much from it.

Also, yeah, Megumi's hospitality style cooking is pretty much showing that, you can have pork buns of Eiken proportions, but if they're not filled with kindness and love towards others, then like that bunch of balloons over there, everything that comes from them will be big and empty. Also, I like the fact that they included new characters from future arcs into this third day.
Old 2015-06-27, 13:52   Link #1172
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
Or probably not something suitable for the style of serving which was buffet style.
Makes sense, I'm not good at speculating lol.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 17:36   Link #1173
Biohazardous

Can't wait to see what Soma does to pass.
Old 2015-06-28, 01:33   Link #1174
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
I-I-I did that on purpose because I despise her so much...really! That's the truth (<.<)!!!
Bow down to the queen, peasant!
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-28, 21:04   Link #1175
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazardous View Post
Can't wait to see what Soma does to pass.
He doesn't. He fails and gets expelled. But none of that matters because nuclear holocaust.
He wanders the wastelands with scars of seven stars on his chest, fighting for love. You wa shock.

*wakes up from the dream naked*
Old 2015-06-28, 23:15   Link #1176
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Wait, just last episode, I posted a comment where I wished for Soma to actually lost to one of his peers in a competition to add some spice to his character development. And now, in this episode, did I just I see him lost to practically everybody else? (or characters that we know of, at least). Is a genie just granted my wish or something? Then again, it ended in a cliffhanger, so I suspect he will be able to turn the tide somehow, so it won’t end in his actual lost (so it won’t be like what I wanted). Anyway, even if he won’t lose in the end, watching him slipped a bit in a challenge with his peers who are on the same level is a bit refreshing. Soma should learn from this.

PS 1: I don’t understand the manga-readers’ hate on Erina here. I personally think all her screentime in this episode is hilarious and adds to her cocky-ness and arrogance. I certainly wouldn’t want less from our gorgeous villain. So far, she’s pretty much the Seto Kaiba of this series, only with boobs and cooking skill .

PS 2: I saw some manga-readers tried to post “speculations” and hints again to feel superior . But at least the mods are aware of it and have took action.
Old 2015-06-29, 10:15   Link #1177
eiyuuou

I'm guessing Soma forgot for buffet dishes, the dish may be left to cool for some time and he probably cooked sometime with short shelf life, like souffle

soufflé = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souffl%C3%A9
loco moco = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loco_moco
Frittata = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frittata
Eggs Benedict = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggs_Benedict
Old 2015-06-29, 10:31   Link #1178
Biohazardous

Based on title of next episode Obelisk I think he will make a new dish completely. He will have to think of something new very fast and quickly complete 200 dishes. I expect him to pass barely next episode it may humble him some since only him and one other from what we see are having issue.
Old 2015-06-29, 11:05   Link #1179
bumbayker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazardous View Post
Based on title of next episode Obelisk I think he will make a new dish completely. He will have to think of something new very fast and quickly complete 200 dishes. I expect him to pass barely next episode it may humble him some since only him and one other from what we see are having issue.
The title of the next episode is "Metamorphosis".
bumbayker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-29, 15:06   Link #1180
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
PS 1: I don’t understand the manga-readers’ hate on Erina here. I personally think all her screentime in this episode is hilarious and adds to her cocky-ness and arrogance. I certainly wouldn’t want less from our gorgeous villain. So far, she’s pretty much the Seto Kaiba of this series, only with boobs and cooking skill .
She sucks at card games though. XD
Kinda sad though how hard she tries to play such "commoner games" to have fun (because that clearly is what she wants) and yet Hisoka only sees it as her Ojou-sama trying to win in everything in life. Looks like Erina's life has been pretty friendless so far unlike Souma's despite both cooking from a young age and being talented at it.

Tags
cooking, ecchi, shounen, shounen jump