Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-07-01, 20:19   Link #2461
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Wait, what? Taki and Michie is a thing now? lol
Oh come on you should know by now that shippers will ship anyone with anyone, it's part of the fun of shipping!

BTW do most bands do alot of marching stuff or just now and again?

I have to admit if theres one thing I enjoy is watching American marching bands do there thing(why American bands? Well thats cause personally I think they do it best), it's a joy and wonder to see.

Now seeing the band here do something like that would have made this the best anime ever!
Old 2015-07-01, 20:21   Link #2462
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Non-spoiler question about the novels, do we know any random band member names from there aside from Mizore Yoroizuka, the Oboe player? Or is the band that isn't main characters pretty much just a nameless, faceless mass of people?
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 20:31   Link #2463
Eragon
Still Alive

Lmao, the arrogance in this thread is amazing.

"I'm the lord arbiter of all shipping. You need my approval before you can argue ships"

Please, you need to get a life breh.
Old 2015-07-01, 20:35   Link #2464
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
Yup, we certainly view this show from a different perspective. At least, unlike others who seem to think that the the Kumiko x Shuuichi ship could never, ever sail and that their relationship is now "set in stone," we both agree that it is "open to any future."
Quote:
Shuuichi haters will, no doubt, say that this means that she only considers him like a brother and will never look at him like a man.
Since you seem to be referring to my post, allow me to clarify: I feel that the Kumiko/Shuuichi ship can't happen because of how things played out in this episode (specifically this episode; anything prior, the possibility of progressing down that route was still there), not because I "hate" Shuuichi.

Shuuichi is a decent person and friend. He's also made other friends in the band (particularly the other first-year boy, which is a pretty natural development), and seems to get along pretty well with everyone. That doesn't mean that there's been any romantic interest from Kumiko, any more than there's been a hint of romantic interest for Taki -> Reina.

However, as was brought up in the Taki/Reina/Kumiko part of the recent arguments, actions speak louder than words. And the action in question between Shuuichi and Kumiko is his rejection of her in favor of his other friends. Kumiko has held a grudge over that for years. What does it mean to hold a grudge over something like that for so long? "You chose them over me." Shuuichi seemed to want her to just "get over it", forget it, pretend it wasn't important. However he never actually apologized for it; never chose Kumiko over everyone else. He just sort of pined after her.

In theory, had he shown the dedication to actually choose Kumiko, and hold to that choice regardless of what anyone else thought (the way Kumiko did for Reina), there might have been a chance for her to accept that from him, and the possibility of a Kumiko/Shuuichi ship would remain.

However that didn't happen. She gave up the grudge. Forgave him, not in a moment relating to that choice, but in a moment of an entirely different choice — music, or a petty grudge. They both want to get better at music, as seen during lots of moments in the last few episodes (particularly the bridge scene). Kumiko has finally let go of that petty grudge in favor of the thing they both want: music.

Doing so means that grudge is resolved. However, unlike those who see that as meaning that the way is now open for Shuuichi to pursue Kumiko, I see it as exactly the opposite. She has utterly given up on the possibility of him making that choice, and has instead made the choice to pursue a different path — music (and the person who helped open that path to her: Reina). She's let Shuuichi back into her heart as a friend (and practically family), but the door to anything beyond that is now closed.

Kumiko/Shuuichi fails because he never actually "chose" her; he just "wanted" her. And the opportunity for him to choose her is now past, because the key to her allowing him to show that resolve has been given up.

Quote:
No, I'm not arguing that they are destined to be lovers, but I would argue that their relationship is not as insignificant as most here seem to think it is.
I am not in any way saying that their relationship is insignificant. It is most definitely a very important friendship. In a way, almost a mirror of Kumiko's relationship with Reina. People try to ignore the romantic overtones of Kumiko's friendship with Reina, and add romantic overtones to Kumiko's friendship with Shuuichi, but if you just remove the "romantic" bits on both sides and look solely at the friendship, I'd say they're of similar levels (though of different types, so not completely comparable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
There's three levels of 'evidence' in shipping debates: canon (explicit), interpretation (implicit), and speculation (what can be an occurrence in the future with the scene).

If you want an example, it's canon that Reina touched Kumiko's lips, interpretation that she did so with romantic notions, and speculation that say, Kumiko reciprocate the same action towards Reina in the future.
I'd disagree with your use of the word 'canon', there. Simply using the word 'explicit' would be more appropriate and accurate. 'Canon' applies to what did happen, or can be extrapolated as having had to have happened, even if not shown, and can also apply to things that the author said outside of the story itself. 'Explicit' is what is directly shown. 'Implicit' refers to the meanings or motivations behind what is shown. And 'speculation' can be broken into pure speculation, and extrapolation. Extrapolation would be things that must necessarily be true based on logical analysis of explicit information (for example, figuring out what year someone was born). Speculation would be things that could possibly be true, based on analysis of all of the above elements.

For example, you can say that it's canon that Shuuichi at the very least has a crush on Kumiko (to avoid arguments about the use of the word "love"), even though he never explicitly said as much to her (or anyone else), simply due to the information implied from his behavior. An explicit "I love you" doesn't have to exist for it to be canon.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 20:40   Link #2465
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
"I'm the lord arbiter of all shipping. You need my approval before you can argue ships"
You don't need my approval, but I reserve the right to grumble.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 20:41   Link #2466
Eragon
Still Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
You don't need my approval, but I reserve the right to grumble.
It wasn't directed at you. I thought that was obvious.
Old 2015-07-01, 20:42   Link #2467
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

^ Even so, I still get to grumble.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 20:46   Link #2468
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma Kinomoto View Post
What part about actions speaking louder than words is hard to understand.
Yeah, I thought this was the case. If we cannot agree with the notion that something undisputable is stronger evidence than something that can be disputed, then let's just agree to disagree.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 20:49   Link #2469
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
So guys, Natsuki X Yuuko or Yuuko X Kaori?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 20:51   Link #2470
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
Oh come on you should know by now that shippers will ship anyone with anyone, it's part of the fun of shipping!

I have to admit if theres one thing I enjoy is watching American marching bands do there thing(why American bands? Well thats cause personally I think they do it best), it's a joy and wonder to see.

Now seeing the band here do something like that would have made this the best anime ever!
Should I mention that my other ship is Tuba-Kun and the ever frequent Yamaha timing gadget?
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 20:52   Link #2471
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Natsuki x Yuuko, obviously. Kaori is pining after Asuka, but will end up in the arms of Haruka.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 21:09   Link #2472
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post

It depends on the school itself and the type of band it has. For wind music, the bands are known by many names, concert band, wind band, brass band (more for elementary schools), symphonic band, military band. The different names can reflect the size of the group, the type of instruments (and numbers as well maybe, some may have more strings and percussion, the contrabass may be absent in some, etc. etc.), and what their activities encompass. You will expect military bands to also participate in parades.
Spoilers
Spoiler for extra info gleaned specifically from novel on band activities
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingUranium View Post
Non-spoiler question about the novels, do we know any random band member names from there aside from Mizore Yoroizuka, the Oboe player? Or is the band that isn't main characters pretty much just a nameless, faceless mass of people?
Spoilers
Spoiler for comparison to novel for band size and member names
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 21:18   Link #2473
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well the teacher was an ass there was to many characters and seemed to move faster at the end

6/10 Well I think this was trying to be just like K-On
Old 2015-07-01, 21:26   Link #2474
Eragon
Still Alive

Oh and,

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2015-07-01 at 22:09. Reason: removed off-topic
Eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 21:26   Link #2475
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Natsuki x Yuuko for life. #lovethroughharrassmentforlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
Well the teacher was an ass there was to many characters and seemed to move faster at the end

6/10 Well I think this was trying to be just like K-On
Just like K-ON?! how?????!!!
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 21:38   Link #2476
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Why not just have both?

Natsuki x Yuuko x Kaori

You could even throw in Reina and Kumiko for a colourful five way love pentagon.

Natsuki x Yuuko x Kaori x Reina x Kumiko.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 21:45   Link #2477
Eragon
Still Alive

Spoiler for NSFW'ish:

Close enough

Source:http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=4944878
Old 2015-07-01, 21:55   Link #2478
BleedingUranium
Who has the most fun wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
It depends on the school itself and the type of band it has. For wind music, the bands are known by many names, concert band, wind band, brass band (more for elementary schools), symphonic band, military band. The different names can reflect the size of the group, the type of instruments (and numbers as well maybe, some may have more strings and percussion, the contrabass may be absent in some, etc. etc.), and what their activities encompass. You will expect military bands to also participate in parades.
Spoilers
Spoiler for extra info gleaned specifically from novel on band activities

Spoilers
Spoiler for comparison to novel for band size and member names
The soundtrack says Daikichi Yamakita middle school, and Kitauji and Rikka high schools are all brass bands, though I'm no expert in this matter.

That's about what I figured, considering dealing with that many characters only through text would be nearly impossible. So the non-main characters are mostly anime-original then.

Apparently Knuckle is Narai Tanabe's nickname.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Why not just have both?

Natsuki x Yuuko x Kaori

You could even throw in Reina and Kumiko for a colourful five way love pentagon.

Natsuki x Yuuko x Kaori x Reina x Kumiko.
Actually, let's take a look at this picture.

Images

Asuka smiles at Kumiko, Shuuichi looks at Kumiko, Hazuki looks at Shuuichi, and Natsuki gets Hazuki's attention.

Clearly we end up with:

Asuka x Kumiko x Shuuichi x Hazuki x Natsuki x Yuuko x Kaori x Asuka

(On a serious side note, I really do like that picture)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon View Post
Direct links to pixiv pictures never work (for me at least).
BleedingUranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 22:02   Link #2479
Eragon
Still Alive

There's always the source link you can go to.
Old 2015-07-01, 22:02   Link #2480
larethian

@BleedingUranium Personally, I will translate 吹奏楽部 to concert band while brass band should be 金管部.
吹奏楽 is literally wind music.

金管楽器 are brass instruments while 木管楽器 are woodwinds instruments.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
band, high school drama, music, orchestra