AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-07-15, 15:49   Link #1
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Elvenblood

Original title: 鮮血のエルフ
Alternative title: Senketsu no Erufu/Elf
Author: Fujiwara Yu (藤原 祐)
Illustrator: Kona
Currently released volumes: 2
Translations: Elvenblood

Images
Volume 1 cover
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Images
Volume 2 cover
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Story Synopsis
What was left for the boy, was just the girl. And what the girl chose, was just the boy——

Human siblings living in a remote village, elven siblings living deep in the forest. The peace of theirs, who should not have been friends, should have continued forever. However, when the elves suddenly started an invasion on the human world, the feelings of the four were torn apart and they took different paths. Eventually the human boy——Imina, and the elf girl——Ellis, stood on the battlefield. The sword he holds is crimson. The same colour that had flowed on it, and will flow on it from then onwards...

The sharp, blood-coloured dark fantasy begins here!
This is a new project picked up by Krytyk, and I'm enjoying this very much! My waifu, Ellis, is so cute that, instead of healing, it gives critical damage to the heart!

PS: I recommend reading the Preamble again after reading chapter 2. It gives a lot more of feels!

Warning: Weak-hearted people should stay away from this. This novel contains darkness in its purest and absolute form!
Ophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-15, 16:26   Link #2
bakato

Goddammit. Whatever happened to Vanquish?
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-15, 16:37   Link #3
Ophis
Dragon God

Location: Beyond the stars turning left and after passing by a Super Nova enter the Black Hole. House N°∞
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Goddammit. Whatever happened to Vanquish?
Eh? You're kind of outdated, no? Vanquish ended with 4 volumes and Krytyk decided to not translate it, due to not wanting to translate another short series.

He announced this decision quite some time ago already. But, whatever, cheers for darkness!
Old 2015-07-16, 07:14   Link #4
senjiro
ecchi sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis View Post
Eh? You're kind of outdated, no? Vanquish ended with 4 volumes and Krytyk decided to not translate it, due to not wanting to translate another short series.

He announced this decision quite some time ago already. But, whatever, cheers for darkness!
sorry but... seeing how you did a thread for this. can you kindly answer usual questions?
OP?
Harem or true harem?
Mari the pityfull witch
senjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 07:52   Link #5
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by senjiro View Post
sorry but... seeing how you did a thread for this. can you kindly answer usual questions?
OP?
Harem or true harem?
As only 2 chapters + Preamble (yeah no prologue but preamble) are out right now the first question is impossible to answer; though from what is known he doesn't seem to get OP (right now he is UP and massively that) but more like equal.

The second one can be answered by the tags on baka-updates:
Action Fantasy Mature Romance Seinen Tragedy

Personally I like it very much, just like Antimagic although it takes a completely different way to "approach" darkness
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 08:09   Link #6
Namorax

What's up with that (slightly dorky) gladius?
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 08:44   Link #7
senjiro
ecchi sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esebian View Post
As only 2 chapters + Preamble (yeah no prologue but preamble) are out right now the first question is impossible to answer; though from what is known he doesn't seem to get OP (right now he is UP and massively that) but more like equal.

The second one can be answered by the tags on baka-updates:
Action Fantasy Mature Romance Seinen Tragedy

Personally I like it very much, just like Antimagic although it takes a completely different way to "approach" darkness
lol
i just read it and almost insta-drop it due sister fate
and #&%*@#### fuck you shirjis.....
Mari the pityfull witch
Old 2015-07-16, 08:49   Link #8
Botan_TM

Quote:

Warning: Weak-hearted people should stay away from this. This novel contains darkness in its purest and absolute form!
It's like "DO NOT PUSH THIS RED BIG BUTTON". Now I just have to try it.
Old 2015-07-16, 08:53   Link #9
Esebian

Quote:
lol
i just read it and almost insta-drop it due sister fate
and #&%*@#### fuck you shirjis.....
Yeah the author doesn't mince words.

But I'm sure that the situation is more complicated than just "Shirjis suddenly became evil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namorax
What's up with that (slightly dorky) gladius?
Well Krytyk said that this sword was special - formwise it would be a mixture between gladius and falchion (making the sword bigger the further you go away from the shaft shifts the center of gravity of the sword in the direction of the top end of the blade; this makes the sword less useful as a stabbing weapon but much better as a stroking weapon)
Old 2015-07-16, 09:44   Link #10
senjiro
ecchi sage

Quote:
Yeah the author doesn't mince words.

But I'm sure that the situation is more complicated than just "Shirjis suddenly became evil"

Well Krytyk said that this sword was special - formwise it would be a mixture between gladius and falchion (making the sword bigger the further you go away from the shaft shifts the center of gravity of the sword in the direction of the top end of the blade; this makes the sword less useful as a stabbing weapon but much better as a stroking weapon)
yeah. seems so

i am sure shirjis has his own problems, i imagine between your reál clan and other race aquitances your election is clear. but from mc POV that matter nothing. i mean he has to see his mother and sister fates,
only thing tender is ellis..... GJ waifu ellis.
Mari the pityfull witch
Old 2015-07-16, 09:48   Link #11
Ayato_kanzaki

Quote:
Original title: 鮮血のエルフ

Interesting. How does the level of darkness compare with Anti-Magic Academy?

Krytykal must have a thing for Darkness. And so do I...
Ayato_kanzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 09:54   Link #12
Hiyono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayato_kanzaki View Post

I've never understood why people think Antimagic Academy is dark. The setting is grim to be sure, but the way the plot develops, it's actually a fairly happy series. If the story were to be told from the perspective of some random grunts, then it'd be tragic, but it's not.
Old 2015-07-16, 10:07   Link #13
Ophis
Dragon God

Quote:
OP?
Harem or true harem?
OP? Well, judging from the preamble, it seems he will become quite the strong fella. Perhaps only strong enough to equally match elves, but judging by the disparity of the power between the two races, I would say that he's OP in the end. Depends from the perspective, I think?

Harem? Don't know if we'll have it; at least I hope there will be! So far we have Ellis confirmed, blondie-chan seems to be a serious possibility, and I think she's actually that princess mentioned in the Preamble. And there's that girl who was narrating the preamble, too.

It's actually a possibility, but I would not hold my breath for this one.

Quote:
yeah. seems so

i am sure shirjis has his own problems, i imagine between your reál clan and other race aquitances your election is clear. but from mc POV that matter nothing. i mean he has to see his mother and sister fates,
only thing tender is ellis..... GJ waifu ellis.
Well, Shirjis grew up with Imina and Uruha, and they truly were like family to each other. The bare minimum he could have done was to either make the three escape before the attack or spare them. Shirjis was truly heartless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayato_kanzaki View Post

I would say it's a notch higher than AMA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyono View Post
I've never understood why people think Antimagic Academy is dark. The setting is grim to be sure, but the way the plot develops, it's actually a fairly happy series. If the story were to be told from the perspective of some random grunts, then it'd be tragic, but it's not.
I don't think that a dark series needs to be tragic to have the element of "darkness" in it. And that's the thing that attract me the most to AMA; the author added elements of a dark fantasy without adding too much tragedy.

By the way, I truly dislike the design for that sword. I know of its practicality and all, but the design is truly lame. Since the illustrations seem to be very good, it's truly a waste...

I know that Krytyk said that the sword is special, but still... anyway, I would guess that the sword is actually made from blood, probably from Ellis' blood.
Old 2015-07-16, 10:24   Link #14
Esebian

Quote:
I know that Krytyk said that the sword is special, but still... anyway, I would guess that the sword is actually made from blood, probably from Ellis' blood.

Well with the colour of the sword and a chapter named Ellis' blood that seems to be the best bet ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyono
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophis
I don't think that a dark series needs to be tragic to have the element of "darkness" in it. And that's the thing that attract me the most to AMA; the author added elements of a dark fantasy without adding too much tragedy.
I concur; AMA is a good mixture between "dark" and light-hearted/fluffy moments - though I wouldn't say that AMA isn't tragic at all: it has that sort of helplessness swinging with it, like nothing Takeru and the others do has any sort of "real" meaning in the grand scheme of things (that is somehow really hard to convey with words but I hope you get what I mean )
Old 2015-07-16, 11:39   Link #15
Hiyono

Quote:
I wouldn't say that AMA isn't tragic at all: it has that sort of helplessness swinging with it, like nothing Takeru and the others do has any sort of "real" meaning in the grand scheme of things (that is somehow really hard to convey with words but I hope you get what I mean )
Only that feeling is never actually present. As grim and death-filled their reality may be, that only has any meaning for mob characters - the main characters themselves are protected from tragedy, and you never honestly feel like they are ever at risk or even that they won't succeed. They - and the reader - are insulated from the feeling of death because it never actually touches the characters that the narrative follows. The despair that war creates arises from the fact that death is sudden, without fanfare, and can take anyone at any time. There's none of that in AMA, which is why I don't think the series really qualifies as "dark" (although, as I said earlier, that would be different if the narrative followed some random grunts).

Elvenblood, on the other hand, or Akame ga Kill are much better examples.
Old 2015-07-16, 12:01   Link #16
Esebian

Quote:
Only that feeling is never actually present. As grim and death-filled their reality may be, that only has any meaning for mob characters - the main characters themselves are protected from tragedy, and you never honestly feel like they are ever at risk or even that they won't succeed. They - and the reader - are insulated from the feeling of death because it never actually touches the characters that the narrative follows. The despair that war creates arises from the fact that death is sudden, without fanfare, and can take anyone at any time. There's none of that in AMA, which is why I don't think the series really qualifies as "dark" (although, as I said earlier, that would be different if the narrative followed some random grunts).

Elvenblood, on the other hand, or Akame ga Kill are much better examples.
You slightly misunderstood me - imo the tragedy in AMA for the main cast is the inevitables during their journey.
Takeru tries his best to safe his sister but he fails everytime (and imo the scene where he had to realize that his sister was broken and didn't want to be safed anymore was tragic enough to call it like that)

One could say I mean another sort of tragedy than you ;-)

And because you named AgK: AgK goes slightly/heavily (depends on your viewpoint) overboard with the deaths - if death is JUST ANOTHER usual ending to an arc it looses all dramatical meaning.

It speaks for itself if people are guessing who is the next to die...
Old 2015-07-16, 12:11   Link #17
Ophis
Dragon God

Quote:
You slightly misunderstood me - imo the tragedy in AMA for the main cast is the inevitables during their journey.
Takeru tries his best to safe his sister but he fails everytime (and imo the scene where he had to realize that his sister was broken and didn't want to be safed anymore was tragic enough to call it like that)

One could say I mean another sort of tragedy than you ;-)

And because you named AgK: AgK goes slightly/heavily (depends on your viewpoint) overboard with the deaths - if death is JUST ANOTHER usual ending to an arc it looses all dramatical meaning.

It speaks for itself if people are guessing who is the next to die...
Exactly! Tragedy and darkness don't come only from the deaths of the main characters themselves, but from their setbacks as well. Good examples of that would be, like our friend above said, Takeru finding himself deeper and deeper in the despair the more he tries to save his sister; or the case where Ikaruga was incapable of saving Isuca; of the school prez losing a leg; or the fact that his soul gets melted the more Takeru uses Lapis.

I personally don't think that for a series to be 'dark', it has to have main characters dying right and left. That's just downright unpleasant since they already have too much tragedy in their lives as it is.
Old 2015-07-16, 12:58   Link #18
Hiyono

If encountering setbacks in your life counts as tragedy, then I want whatever lives you guys are living because apparently my life is pretty tragic. Or... OR encountering and overcoming setbacks is a completely normal part of life that everyone has to deal with, even if you're not a fictional character of an allegedly "dark" series. No, a "setback" means that you succeed eventually. Despair comes when your hope is betrayed and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. There is no eventual victory.

Last edited by Hiyono; 2015-07-16 at 13:09.
Hiyono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 13:44   Link #19
Ayato_kanzaki

As far as I'm concerned, if the novel has a lot of scenes of torture, rape and so on, it is in the dark category, so matter how much the main protagonists are affected by it. It's just a matter of creating feelings of revulsion and anger in the reader.
Ayato_kanzaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-16, 14:23   Link #20
Esebian

Quote:
If encountering setbacks in your life counts as tragedy, then I want whatever lives you guys are living because apparently my life is pretty tragic. Or... OR encountering and overcoming setbacks is a completely normal part of life that everyone has to deal with, even if you're not a fictional character of an allegedly "dark" series. No, a "setback" means that you succeed eventually. Despair comes when your hope is betrayed and there's no light at the end of the tunnel. There is no eventual victory.
Discussing semantics is always an endless fight :P

I'm not sure how you equal setbacks with tragedy; neither of us said that - we said that the specific setbacks happening in exactly this story are a tragedy.

It is you who is generalizing it - btw I know you mean no harm but pls don't wish for sth you know nothing about.

And whether or not Takeru and the others succeed (or better how they succeed at it) is still in the future.

Tags
dark fantasy, my waifu, romance, seinen, tragedy