AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2015-07-16, 14:23   Link #1
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

What make a good loli character?

I think loli character is a quite curious case. As they are defined by their appearances, but most loves them for their personality. Considering lots of people attach lolicon to be some bad or at least negative things, I want to see whether it's true in this thread.

Hopefully not many only find a loli character to be physically attractive. (SaintessHear aside... he's a hopeless case...)

So yeah, back to the topic. What made a good loli character for you guys, and maybe a couple of example if can? Mine top off my head are:
  1. Chi-chan(s) (Centaur's worries(manga):) the triplets catgirl, innocent, curious and always playful. Love their sisters very much. They are three with the same mind or at least depicted as such. Always an adventure to follow their path
  2. Kanna (Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon(manga)): in a comedy story about maid dragon, it's surprisingly how the shiniest character of them all is our Kanna. Naive, innocent, normally very quiet, but very attached to both main characters. She is adorable even during the middle of the fight
  3. Rin (Usagi Drop(anime)): best predicted of a child in anime I think. She has the best of the real world kid, minus all of their hassle. Cheerful but also very mature for her age. Even reflect better with her background drama
  4. Shima (Sen to Man(manga)): another good depiction of real kid. Having certain level of mature, but in the same time also fairly naughty and naive beyond belief. Have a family man and devoting father probably helped her to shine even more.

So through my list, I guess having the loli character described to be innocent, naive, but in the same time hosting a level of mature/ independence for their age, and attached to and loved their family very much.... seemed to be a winning formula for me.

Meanwhile, as seen, i missed out most of badass loli character/ thousands years old vampire trapped in a girl body, etc. I guess because to me, they are not true loli character by that same sense. I also didn't mention Hoppou-chan (Kantai) as she's rather fan-made
Old 2015-07-17, 04:37   Link #2
Fizix
Nitpicking

None would be the most preferable option
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 04:56   Link #3
theultimates12

It depends on what kind of stories is the writer trying to tell. I don't think there's a definite answer for this.
theultimates12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 07:16   Link #4
Arya

I don't like loli if not as side characters, as I don't shouta for what is worth, so well, it's not that I have many examples.
One point that doesn't seem clear to me is in regard of your point about liking them for their personality. Since personality are easily categorized, like tsundere loli, kuudere loli etc, I think that the personality is not exactly their particular, unique or most appealing point so it's not what people like of them. As you said it is the appearance, as primary thing.
As for example I have a soft spot for black hair characters possibly kuudere or tsundere, but I can't stand loli tsundere Shana clones. But Shana herself.

In any case here a loli I really liked she is Enju Aihara from Black Bullet. She is the good mix of maturity given by her circumstances I won't bring up here, but is still a child in many other things
Spoiler for Black Bullet :

That should rise the question if a loli is still a loli if removed of her sexual and romantical components. I'd say no, but it's not that easy probably.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 08:50   Link #5
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Uhhh...the same things that make a good character in general? Their internal logic needs to make sense to them as well as us, any development has to be gradual, and the ones who don't develop need characters or events to bounce off of, so their personalities reflect toward us even more. I think the better question is what you define as a loli (...and shota) character. Rin from Usagi Drop and Ushio from Clannad both have the age to match the appearance, but then you've got the K-On! high school girls who look younger than Oreimo's middle schooler in Kirino. I also just learned Honoka from Love Live! has a smaller bust than Kirino. What the actual fuck. With artstyle playing into this, it sorta becomes a question of how oldyoung-looking is too oldyoung-looking. And as my esteemed experience in anime fandom has taught me, people will arbitrarily arbitrate arbitrary criteria because : personal taste :
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 12:06   Link #6
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Best Loli is Tsukuyomi Komoe, ya don't need to be a preteen or teen to fit in the category. :P
She's strict yet lets things slide for the most part. Mature yet Childish. Damn what more can you ask for.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-17, 20:08   Link #7
rainpapa

It depends on what kind of stories is the writer trying to tell. I don't think there's a definite answer for this.
rainpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-19, 22:30   Link #8
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

I will be honest, i didn't expect the above responses since I personally identify a loli character based more on their personality/character rather than by their appearances.

A good example is actually listed by Akuma Kinomoto: Kirino from Oreimo. When i watched the anime, I actually thought that she was like 16~ish. I didn't realise that she was actually a loli character until I read the novel. Which then despite having similar art style, showed very clear that she's preteen.

Like of course she also tsundere but there's a bratty, immature, about it. It's hard to describe
Old 2015-07-20, 11:44   Link #9
VORTIA

An overwhelming amount of innocence, energy, and cheerfulness, I'd say. A loli's honesty should be reflexively intrinsic, and they should make you want to smile in spite of yourself. Their actual appearance doesn't really matter as much. I find this kind of innocent enthusiasm endearing at any age.
VORTIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 12:51   Link #10
Strikefreedom117

A loli is a loli
Strikefreedom117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-20, 14:52   Link #11
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

There's the loli in both body and mind, something like Hinata's ro-kyu-bu.
Then there's lolibaba, a granny is a granny through and through even when acting cute and with loli body, something like Biscuit or Mina.
Then there's the perpetual loli. Usually demon or otherwise inhuman like Disgaea characters. The important thing is their mentality doesn't mature beyond a certain point compared to their age.
Then there's nojya loli, a loli but speaks with old edo dialect. may actually be loli, a granny or a perpetual loli, but the distinguishing aspect is the way of speaking (nanojya~!). something like Couvert from Dogdays or Mariabel from WildArms.

And then there is the odd case of lolikyonyuu (loli big boobs). It's originally an extension trait of big boobs, because the gap in body and boob size emphasizes them more beautifully. However, enlightened lolicons have eventually accepted this as well, because all lolis are created equal. The mix of these traits have created a distinct and exquisite taste indeed.
Old 2015-07-21, 17:03   Link #12
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Pedobear is happy about this thread
Old 2015-07-24, 17:49   Link #13
Strikefreedom117

Huehuehuehuehuehue pedobear
Strikefreedom117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-24, 17:51   Link #14
ninjastarforcex
Read My Sig :)

the pedobear is real
Old 2015-07-25, 09:06   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
And then there is the odd case of lolikyonyuu (loli big boobs).
Last night I showed a friend the first three episodes of Bikini Warriors and commented on how the Mage character has the face and demeanor of a young girl but the body of a mature woman. I guess she falls into this category.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-29, 02:00   Link #16
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Still bored.

At the risk of getting punished for necroposting, I'll say that the best loli I've seen so far is Kurumiko from Kanojo ga Flag wo Oraretara. She also taught me the true meaning of moe and now whenever somebody wants to know what "loli" and "moe" means I just point them to Kurumiko.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-01, 01:56   Link #17
KanbeKotori
失礼、噛みました

What makes a good loli?

Short, moe and not too absurd body proportion.

*cough*hestiaisabadexampleofwhatagoodloliis*cough*
Old 2015-08-01, 02:10   Link #18
DOmus
天国無事故
*Artist

Mashiro from Mikakunin de Shinkoukei is the answer, that little girl is the definition of loli in every sense of the word.
Old 2015-08-01, 02:11   Link #19
ices
Working Hard

I don't know whether a child character which isn't attractive appearance wise could be labelled as loli. But since you mentions Rin (Usagi Drop), I guess the same could apply to Renge (Non Non Biyori). An outlier I should say. Her main selling point isn't in her appearance, but in her endearing behavior.

BTW, Junon Boy, have you watched Barakamon?
ices is offline   Reply With Quote