AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-05-15, 00:12   Link #1
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
You as a fansubber: Secret or public knowledge

For me: Secret except for a few close friends offline and public online.
Old 2006-05-15, 00:45   Link #2
CarrierZ
aka cz

Send a message via MSN to CarrierZ
Eh, excuse me? Can you formulate your question better? I don't get it.
CarrierZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 00:48   Link #3
Cruzz
Europeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrierZ
Eh, excuse me? Can you formulate your question better? I don't get it.
I guess the question is "do you advertise the fact that you are a fansubber or do you try to hide it?"
Cruzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 02:22   Link #4
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

I don't advertise this fact to my rl friends at all. One of my friend is watching one of my release and he didn't even know I worked on it.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 06:44   Link #5
LytHka
Banned

Most of the people I associate with in real life know that I'm "translating" anime. Most of them don't know the details. Other than that, real life otaku friends know what I'm doing. It's quite fun to sometimes leak some info about a popular series I work on or something. It just reassures others and in the end that makes me feel good. I also held a lecture about fansubbing in some local open source centre which wasn't attended by many people, still, I offered some insight about the whole hobby, how it all started with anime fansubbing and so on. I even showed them, omg, Sabbu and Aegisub. The demonstration fansub was encoded respectively with x264.exe.
All in all, I can say that I'm "advertising" my hobby with a clear conscience.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 07:02   Link #6
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

i say it if its fitting for the conversation... i don't care if people know but im not going around shouting "HEY LOOK AT ME!!! I'M A FANSSUBER DAMMIT!!"

AKA Malakith
Bot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 07:50   Link #7
Ijuki
aka Raw Provider

I am not hiding whatever I am doing. This means everyone in real life knows what I do, not that I care if they think I am doing "cartoons" as they want it to be.

After joining Anime-Keep, some of my friends (those who watch anime that is), did react with "O.o - When the **** did you join them and how?" (funny to know more than them).

Basiclly, I am not afraid of telling it, if the people wants to know that is. ;D
Ijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 08:55   Link #8
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Nobody really knows, other than some people who I've told I "make music videos" or "compress video" when questioned about why I upgrade my computer on a fairly regular basis.

Joe Average wouldn't understand, so I don't go into detail. I just leave it at a simple answer.
Old 2006-05-15, 09:15   Link #9
getfresh
done
*Fansubber

Don't worry guys, you don't have to hide the fact you sub. I mean if you are a subber the whole world already knows you are a dork without even subbing anime in the first place. ;p
getfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 11:04   Link #10
Ensign Shiro Amada
Kopitar's Herald

It depends on who I'm with. Some of my friends are anime fans, so I feel free to discuss it with them. However, I've even stooped to lying when other people ask what I'm doing if I'm doing some fansub work at the time. I'm too lazy to want to explain it to them, so I just sidestep the issue.
Ensign Shiro Amada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 11:26   Link #11
DryFire
Panda Herder

I don't announce the fact I fansub even on line. If asked I'll usually respond truthfully, but it's nothing worth shouting from the rooftops.
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 11:39   Link #12
Darth_E_
Freelance TS'er/Encoder

Nobody knows I am a fansubber in real life, nor do I want anyone in rl to know that I fansub :P

Last edited by Darth_E_; 2006-05-15 at 22:41.
Darth_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 12:01   Link #13
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Half of my family knows I do "anime translation". My mother is a big Tezuka fan, so she has no problem of me being anime fan. In fact, she bought me an anime DVD for me last year, which is still in fansub works. Some day, I'll be able to watch that with my daughter.

Some of my coworkers know that I do stuff on line with the anime stuff. I don't go advertise much on it. It just is another conversation topic.

Most of my online friends from 1995 or so don't know that I'm fansubbing. Most of them are too old to care anyway at this point ^^;
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 13:01   Link #14
Access

I don't make a habit of telling people, for me there is really no point telling anyone irl. Not that I try to hide the fact that I'm a fan, but I'm not an egotist either. I remember talking to one leecher who was interested about it, and some people who were interested in the digital-video-processing side of it, but that's it.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 14:15   Link #15
Harukalover
In exile

I only tell cute girls that I fansub anime.

Since it is a great pickup line.
Harukalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 16:40   Link #16
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
Hmm, well I really don't tell people except maybe the developers I work with when I want some code help I know that my g/f certainly knows and hence why I haven't been able to work as much as I used to do =p
SCR512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 19:32   Link #17
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

The anime club at school knows. D: They want me to give some kind of detailed explanation of the process during a meeting next semester...
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 20:34   Link #18
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, there are really two main reasons I keep my fansubbing/scanlation work (and even anime fandom, to some degree) a "secret" to most people:

1) It's far too troublesome to explain it to an "outsider"

2) People are far too quick to judge

It's not that I'd really care all that much about 2), but it's just annoying, especially with people you're forced to interact with on a daily basis (at work, etc.) Some people just stop taking you seriously once they're found a reason to make a judgement call, even if the issue at hand is totally unrelated. It's the same reason I don't have an avatar or signature on forums, actually. I wouldn't care if people think I'm a "geek" or anything - I make no efforts at all to hide that. But, having to defend anime itself in the process, or to have that held against you subconsciously when dealing with other things? It's just too troublesome... Now, if it's someone I know likes anime, then I wouldn't care much (though I still wouldn't tell someone online where I work, for instance, but I consider that common sense, too). I guess as much as I try to be a transparent, honest person, I still have my walls to protect me... mostly from things I find annoying or troublesome. (Which, I suppose, is the same with everyone.)
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 20:54   Link #19
Wade
:3

I don't tell people unless they ask me.

Surprisingly the question doesn't come up often in normal conversations.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-15, 22:10   Link #20
Animonger
Gama-Bunta

Send a message via AIM to Animonger Send a message via MSN to Animonger
I usually don't tell people even if they ask. I'll just say I like watching an anime every once in a while. A lot of the people I'm associated with would probably think it's pretty faggy, and I've yet to find a good-looking girl who is into fansubbers...
Animonger is offline   Reply With Quote