dmaxzero

Overlord is a 1 cour or a 2 cour show?

Last edited by LKK; 2015-08-12 at 08:33. Reason: removed spoiler info
dmaxzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 08:36   Link #602
DemonneoPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
But in case of Portugal, for example, it's a bit saddening to read DemonneoPT's reading tendencies because that may put another nail in the coffin of my LN-style Novel series
Ahah.. do not worry! Everyone i know loves reading. I'm kind of an outcast in that department xD
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 08:46   Link #603
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonneoPT View Post
Yes, but i'm not the type of person that watch or pretend to watch every single anime that comes out. I only like the ones that are action based, terror and sci-fi (preferably without large amounts of moe).
Of course I don't consider the genre that you like because my original post is not a reply to you, but to xrick & cyth. I was answering those who want titles (of all genre) which are anime-original or finished adaptation, then you jumped in saying that those titles are "very few", which is not true (counting out your preference).

Quote:
From your list only 5 or 6 correspond to those genres. In total, how many animes come out in a season? So they are still very few when compared to the rest. That is what i was trying to say.
Again, I wasn't talking about your preference (please put that aside), but merely listing titles which are anime-original or finished-adaptations, and they are quite many. This season alone, I already listed 13 titles in my previous post, but there's actually more out there like Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold and other anime series based on toys which also fit the criteria. Now, try to list all the titles airing this season and you'd probably find that 30-50% of them are anime-original or finished-adaptations (and that's just this season alone). So, if you say the number of anime-original & finished adaptation are very few, that's not quite right.
Old 2015-08-12, 08:54   Link #604
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Of course I don't consider the genre that you like because my original post is not a reply to you, but to xrick & cyth. I was answering those who want titles (of all genre) which are anime-original or finished adaptation, then you jumped in saying that those titles are "very few", which is not true (counting out your preference).
Just to note that I actually prefer the adaptions to be left open for some possible Season2/3/etc in the future rather than original endings... If they aren't from already finished stories, of course

Quote:
Ahah.. do not worry! Everyone i know loves reading. I'm kind of an outcast in that department xD
Hmm... A sliver of hope, then... Sure hope so...
Actually, I wanted to say "the LN-style Novel series I'm revamping from the ground up, since the finished previous version had a lot of stuff in dire need of being checked upon"...
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-12, 09:00   Link #605
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Just to note that I actually prefer the adaptions to be left open for some possible miraculous Season2/3/etc in the future rather than original endings... If they aren't from already finished stories, of course
Don't worry, when I said "finished-adaptation", it means the source is already finished (or near finished) when the anime happens. I never include titles with "rushed anime-only ending" on my list of anime-original story or finished adaptation .
Old 2015-08-12, 13:11   Link #606
Nvis
Where are the good animes

The Pleiades sounds awesome.

Solution(claimed) definitely my type(dat ojou-sama).
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 03:38   Link #607
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

...okay, all of a sudden I'm interested.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 04:30   Link #608
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post

Though Necromancer Girl makes me think more of Medusa from Soul Eater...

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 05:40   Link #609
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
This is brilliant, whoever made this connection should be awarded ALL the internets
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 07:43   Link #610
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
As someone who's been an officer in a top 100 world PvP guild in Guild Wars, a raiding guild in WoW several times, and spent 4 years in Ultima Online as a guild officer before any of those, I've retired and moved on from various MMOs over the course of 20 years.

It's really not as dramatic as Momonga makes it out to be, although granted, I'm probably more "normal" gamer (even if old school) and not as obsessed.

Also "others overthinking his thoughts and action" IS a running joke in Overlord.
Trust me, I've read like 7 volumes of the novel before stopping and own two.
I'm also a long time MMO player. I do have my fair share of MMO officer experience and have been through many server shutdown during these two decades. While I'm more of a "first wave players", those who play first and leave first. There were several occurrence where people went all drama over me leaving the game for another. So I know people like Momonga do exist.

As for Overlord anime pacing, it is indeed slow. But as many source readers already pointed out, it's already comparably faster than LN. This is precisely a reason I can't even last 2 volumes before dropping it. The LN pacing is a tad too slow for my taste. Some said it has to do with English fan translation isn't that good. I can't really tell since I'm not a native speaker. I only know that I'm not enjoy reading it. The anime, on the other hand, goes reasonably faster while still keep reasonably information from LN as oppose to manga adaptation. However, what truly carry this show is voice acting from the casts. They are all entertaining to watch. I'll keep watching the anime. If the plot turn out to be interesting, I might give LN another try.

On topic of LN adaptation in general, I too noticed that LN adaptation nowaday has slower and slower pacing which in a good thing in my opinion. Yes, an adaptation left unfinished is a problem. But rushed adaptation is a problem as well. If the studio tried to cramp too much content in limited episodes they had, it usually end up crappy. I would prefer a nice short introductory adaptation rather than a longer shitty adaptation that would never finish either anyway. I think we're stepping into the right direction. If these introductory get better and better, it will become longer and longer and more season will be easier approved. Hopefully.

This also related to a disturbing trend of recent Light Novel. It tend to spent first (few) volume(s) purely on introduction. I can sometime read well into third volume and story wouldn't go anywhere. THREE BOOKS !! and the fans will still say "keep reading" it will get better once it reach volume 7, 10 or whatever. Like hell I would endure a dozen boring books just to get to a good part. A WHOLE BOOK is already a plenty chance I would give to something, seriously.
Hmm.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 08:25   Link #611
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmm.... View Post
This also related to a disturbing trend of recent Light Novel. It tend to spent first (few) volume(s) purely on introduction. I can sometime read well into third volume and story wouldn't go anywhere. THREE BOOKS !! and the fans will still say "keep reading" it will get better once it reach volume 7, 10 or whatever. Like hell I would endure a dozen boring books just to get to a good part. A WHOLE BOOK is already a plenty chance I would give to something, seriously.
That's quite true, indeed! They spend more time in presenting chicks left and right than in world-building or plot development!
Only, of course, to make the many volumes of each story sell on fetishism, fanservice and harem-antics alone! Kinda sucks

Aohige... Do you have any idea or is there any talks about why LN authors write their stories that way?
It can't just be editorial meddling so as to make sure a story has the elements to make it sell...

Last edited by RDNexus; 2015-08-13 at 08:41.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 10:05   Link #612
Blueknight78

Quote:
That's quite true, indeed! They spend more time in presenting chicks left and right than in world-building or plot development!
Only, of course, to make the many volumes of each story sell on fetishism, fanservice and harem-antics alone! Kinda sucks

Aohige... Do you have any idea or is there any talks about why LN authors write their stories that way?
It can't just be editorial meddling so as to make sure a story has the elements to make it sell...
for what i get in most of the cases light novels are "otakus" writing historys to "otakus" specially harem ones, many of the (not all ofcourse) novel writers are "pervy" or love to write for pervy, because most of they target are pervy then is more simple to pleasure your target audience when you know very well what they really want and "keep they interest".

that is sad, because while many novels have great potential they end being wasted in all the harem antics because the writer will try to focus more on tits and puss** than delivery a good plot that is why we are bloated with generic harem with generic plot, because become so common and easy "be generic" which the writers are somehow "become lazy" or losing they abilities to delivery good plots for the sake of "boobs".
Old 2015-08-13, 10:11   Link #613
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
for what i get in most of the cases light novels are "otakus" writing historys to "otakus" specially harem ones, many of the (not all ofcourse) novel writers are "pervy" or love to write for pervy, because most of they target are pervy then is more simple to pleasure your target audience when you know very well what they really want and "keep they interest".

that is sad, because while many novels have great potential they end being wasted in all the harem antics because the writer will try to focus more on tits and puss** than delivery a good plot that is why we are bloated with generic harem with generic plot, because become so common and easy "be generic" which the writers are somehow "become lazy" or losing they abilities to delivery good plots for the sake of "boobs".
that and everyone copying the latest "in" theme.

There is already a new novel about a MMORPG player being transported to a different world after the game server is shut down. And the player happens to be Skeleton Knight
Old 2015-08-13, 10:31   Link #614
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
that and everyone copying the latest "in" theme.

There is already a new novel about a MMORPG player being transported to a different world after the game server is shut down. And the player happens to be Skeleton Knight
yeah that is why i say they "are losing" the ability to delivery good plot, the lazy side to just "copy" the next better theme become mores strong, many peoples even inside japan are also complain how the light novels or manga well the japanese otaku market(anime, manga and novel) is start to become too repeating, when is not overbloated ecchi(near hentai) is the repeat the "current model", which now are mmo, things are really bad when even the target audience is become "bored" with too much focus on tits or to make your own version of the current theme than really delivery plot.

he write the plot and SHIBANO Kyouta is on the art
Old 2015-08-13, 10:37   Link #615
ReddyRedWolf

Just had a weird thought. Another player who is male being the same circumstances as Momonga but his avatar is a girl.

Momonga is concerned about losing his humanity being undead. Imagine a gender swap.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 10:41   Link #616
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Just had a weird thought. Another player who is male being the same circumstances as Momonga but his avatar is a girl.

Momonga is concerned about losing his humanity being undead. Imagine a gender swap.
there is a novel series about a guy whose character is a vampire girl.

similar setting to overlord (acting tough in front the servant npc, taking over the world, etc)
Old 2015-08-13, 10:41   Link #617
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
The funniest moment for me wasn't the running joke with Albedo for me.

It was the whole "oh no, we must have upset him.. I bet he lost all his friends in a tragic battle" *cue dramatic music as Momon sits in solitude*

... when we know for a fact it's actually just "hey buddy we had fun but you know how it goes, RL and shit. Don't mind me if I retire from this MMO. Well, see ya maybe in another MMO!"

Not really as big a deal as Momonga makes it to be.

Of course, this entire novel is but a series of "other people overthinking Ainz's actions" one after another.
LOL.

I knew about it but somehow you managed to 'ruin' it more;
What's wrong with sitting alone with dramatic music as BGM? j/k

Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 12:18   Link #618
nojay
Scanlator

I was enjoying _Overlord_, emphasis on "was". Chapter one we were introduced, quite deliberately, to a whole host of interesting characters in form of the Tomb guardians. Lord Momonga sets out to be a badass and his first time he gets the chance he goes BAD-ass on a bunch of puny humans that think they're the Lords of Creation. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with all of the guardians at his back, cutting a swathe of darkness and despair across the land (I played a lot of Dungeon Keeper in my youth...).

And now we're two episodes into a newbie party MMO grind, out "collecting herbs" for crying out loud with a bunch of nerfy losers. I presume Momonga is doing this because he misses the good old grinding days -- it's not like he needs to level up after all. The story's stopped in its tracks for THIS?

Overlord was the "pleasant surprise" series for me this season. It's rapidly losing its charm.
Old 2015-08-13, 13:04   Link #619
zero7090

people sure do lose memories fast these days.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 13:42   Link #620
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
I was enjoying _Overlord_, emphasis on "was". Chapter one we were introduced, quite deliberately, to a whole host of interesting characters in form of the Tomb guardians. Lord Momonga sets out to be a badass and his first time he gets the chance he goes BAD-ass on a bunch of puny humans that think they're the Lords of Creation. I was really looking forward to seeing what he could do with all of the guardians at his back, cutting a swathe of darkness and despair across the land (I played a lot of Dungeon Keeper in my youth...).

And now we're two episodes into a newbie party MMO grind, out "collecting herbs" for crying out loud with a bunch of nerfy losers. I presume Momonga is doing this because he misses the good old grinding days -- it's not like he needs to level up after all. The story's stopped in its tracks for THIS?

Overlord was the "pleasant surprise" series for me this season. It's rapidly losing its charm.
You seem to forget he knows next to nothing about this new world and isn't perticulerly interested in world domination. His goals are at most see if he can find any of the other players. He hasn't even decided if he wants to stay or not.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is online now   Reply With Quote