AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > GATE

Notices

View Poll Results: GATE - Episode 11 Rating
Perfect 10 4 16.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 5 20.83%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 12.50%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 41.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 4.17%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2015-09-13, 07:18   Link #41
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangowr View Post
And where would they get such a expert on high-elf?

There is no such expert from our world, and the JSDF haven't had any contact with high-elf society in the Gate world.
Elves may have long lifespans but emotionally they are no different from humans. Leave it to mental health professionals.

Itami is just making an excuse not to deal with it.
Old 2015-09-13, 08:15   Link #42
The 48th Ronin

A very nice episode. I like the interaction of common people from both worlds. And Japan's up for some diplomatic shenanigans.

Rory's antics are always a plus.

And that F-4 airshow.
Old 2015-09-13, 09:18   Link #43
Tangowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Elves may have long lifespans but emotionally they are no different from humans. Leave it to mental health professionals.

Itami is just making an excuse not to deal with it.
They live for thousands of years, what makes you think they are emotionally the same?

As in biology term, they are a completely different specie from human.

We're pretty close to chimp, but we're not the same.

And again, where would they get the expert, they aren't going to let anyone through the gate randomly, and what's to say that the expert want to do anything, as there aren't other elves as case studies, they are tredding new ground already, and what if the elves don't believe in this treatment, and cause a diplomatic problem, if they come in contact with another elve tribe?
Old 2015-09-13, 10:23   Link #44
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Before things get out of hand, let's move any specific character discussion to that character's discussion thread and return to discussing the episode itself.

Thank you.
Old 2015-09-13, 10:38   Link #45
Brother Coa
Banned

Can F-4 weapons can hurt fire dragon?
If they can, I can see awesome areal fight incoming.
Old 2015-09-13, 11:32   Link #46
Tangowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
Can F-4 weapons can hurt fire dragon?
If they can, I can see awesome areal fight incoming.
F4...weapons
20MM gunpods...with AP rounds...maybe? But most jet only have 3~5 second of straight fire time, unlike the videogame version of 4 Million rounds that can shoot for a 30 minute game.

Anti-air missle, won't hurt the dragon, since it's literally a flying tank, and AA missle depends on force and sharpnel to shred a plane<Not as durable as a tank, and lighter/not as hard material, but might be able to shred the wings?

AIM-9 Sidewinder uses infrared homing or heat seeking, so might be able to lock on, since dragon breath fire, so it's body temp is probabely high.

AIM-7 Sparrow uses semi-active radar homing, so would require a external source to reflect radar off the target, not sure how viable that is.

AIM-4 Falcon - Comes in radar and heatseeking, but it's only useful against bomber, and useless against more maneurvable target, so useless.

And the JSDF also armed their F4 with their own AA missle

The Mitsubishi AAM-4 which uses Active Radar homing, but that still depend on if the dragon can be detected by radar, and again, it's a Anti air missle.

You need anti-armor to take out the ancient dragon, which as scale as hard as tungsten(1 scale below diamond) and 1/7 the weight of our equilivant tungsten.
Old 2015-09-13, 13:53   Link #47
Jerseykid

I feel like we could have had another 10 episodes easily before we got to this point and I would not be bored
Old 2015-09-13, 14:15   Link #48
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

My thought of the ep: that dark elf sure is dedicated, to walk so far in heels.
Old 2015-09-13, 15:21   Link #49
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangowr View Post
They live for thousands of years, what makes you think they are emotionally the same?

As in biology term, they are a completely different specie from human.

We're pretty close to chimp, but we're not the same.

And again, where would they get the expert, they aren't going to let anyone through the gate randomly, and what's to say that the expert want to do anything, as there aren't other elves as case studies, they are tredding new ground already, and what if the elves don't believe in this treatment, and cause a diplomatic problem, if they come in contact with another elve tribe?
Are you done making excuses?

On one side Japan let a person that that they saved and employed deteriorate into insanity through neglect. On the other they can do something about it giving Mental Health care she needs even if it is a first time.

Regardless of Itami's opinion Japan intends to stay and they would be interacting with the locals like in Alnus. As seen with Leilei and Tuka they are not above hiring locals.

How do you think the government are going to get with PR once this gets out? Once Tuka showed up in the Diet she is a public figure.

To which the government would get criticized for its lack of mental health care locally as well.
Old 2015-09-13, 16:26   Link #50
jcdietz03

I liked all 10 previous episodes. This one just didn't do it for me.
-Didn't like the scenes in the 1st half w/ Pina
-Didn't like the scenes in the second half w/ the dark elf

The author continues to go for some kind of political message. I am guessing it will be delivered later. The whole "restrict the power of the emperor" thing sounds like the War Powers Act here in the United States which lets the president commit troops for up to 60 days without congressional approval.
Old 2015-09-13, 17:24   Link #51
rladls2121

At least people can try something to do make Tuka at least from getting worse.
Aren't they all friends?
They all worried about her for quite some time, so it is not like caring for her more would do too much damage.
After all, relationship between Special Region is a must.
There is going to be a confrontation regarding Tuka.
Old 2015-09-13, 17:42   Link #52
Tangowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
At least people can try something to do make Tuka at least from getting worse.
Aren't they all friends?
They all worried about her for quite some time, so it is not like caring for her more would do too much damage.
After all, relationship between Special Region is a must.
There is going to be a confrontation regarding Tuka.
That's the thing, you don't know if your action will make it worse, what if the something they tried actually made it worse?

And why didn't the other gate denzion(Rory, Leilei, etc) didn't do anything, hopefully will be touched upon, but they have alot of stuff to cover too.
Old 2015-09-13, 17:42   Link #53
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdietz03 View Post
I liked all 10 previous episodes. This one just didn't do it for me.
-Didn't like the scenes in the 1st half w/ Pina
-Didn't like the scenes in the second half w/ the dark elf

The author continues to go for some kind of political message. I am guessing it will be delivered later. The whole "restrict the power of the emperor" thing sounds like the War Powers Act here in the United States which lets the president commit troops for up to 60 days without congressional approval.
Historically Japan is ruled by the Shogunate not the Emperor. Even with the reforms of the Meiji restoration the Emperor is a figurehead.

There is a certain irony where someone named Cicero is advocating more power to the emperor.
Old 2015-09-13, 17:50   Link #54
rladls2121

Wait, to that extent?
I thought it was worth it, well I wonder how will this case settle?
Like I thought Itami is not going to be laid back often as before.
And I also thought Rory and Lelei knows more about the elves so they can do something of help though.
Old 2015-09-13, 18:07   Link #55
Tangowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Wait, to that extent?
I thought it was worth it, well I wonder how will this case settle?
Like I thought Itami is not going to be laid back often as before.
And I also thought Rory and Lelei knows more about the elves so they can do something of help though.
Rory has lived for 960 years, and traveled alot, so she most likely know about elves and their culture, as they had small talk when they first met.

Leilei is a mage, and student to one of the great sage, so they would also know more about the elves.

Those two and Leilei's teacher would know more about Elves, probabely beside another high elve, it would be the dark elve, no one from our world would know anything, as she's a completely different specie from human, with different biology and culture, human already can't understand each other, and we're the same race, what makes you think we're going to be better at understanding a new specie and there's only one that we know of so far. even Elves in our fantasy lore, have different type, the LOTR elves aren't the same as the Record of Lodoss war elves, etc.
Old 2015-09-13, 18:28   Link #56
mergele

Could someone with additional knowledge please explain to me where the city is, in geographical relation to the fort, how and why it developed at that place and who has governmental authority there?

Did Rory seem younger than usual to anyone else in the tavern scene or was it just me?

It seems like trade through the gate is happening, is it managed by the government or private enterprises?
Old 2015-09-13, 18:35   Link #57
Tangowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergele View Post
Could someone with additional knowledge please explain to me where the city is, in geographical relation to the fort, how and why it developed at that place and who has governmental authority there?

Did Rory seem younger than usual to anyone else in the tavern scene or was it just me?

It seems like trade through the gate is happening, is it managed by the government or private enterprises?
It's the refugee camp, the refugee wanted to be self sufficient, so they started trading with traders, and it just grew, with the JSDF realized they can use it to get into the merchant circle by trading goods from our world for their goods(Gold, and rare metal, and intelligence), they opened a PX(And recruiting the maids from the city that the JDF saved), this also started a "school" where native that are chosen(Pina's officer, some of the maid, are taught Japanese, while JSDF intelligence officer are taught native language in return), it's visited by merchants and gate denzion, and JSDF off duty troop also visit it to mingle with the local.

The town is patrolled by JSDF MP with Rory in charge of local mercenary(The harpy girl is Rory's lietunant in the MP squad), Itami is the "chief" as the refugee camp was his responsibility, remember when he took back the refugee, his superior made them his reponsibility, but he's lazy, so he's more of a figure head, and the "face" of the JSDF that the town, and the refugee knows, so if anything happen, they go to Itami, Rory(If need muscle) or Leilei if need brain.

And Rory physical body is young, 13~16 year old?

Last edited by Tangowr; 2015-09-13 at 20:51.
Old 2015-09-13, 20:02   Link #58
mergele

@Tangowr Thanks, I always thought the refugees were somewhere inside the fortress on Arnus.
Old 2015-09-13, 20:49   Link #59
Tangowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergele View Post
@Tangowr Thanks, I always thought the refugees were somewhere inside the fortress on Arnus.
I'm not sure if their inside the star fortress though, probabely not, as the town has merchant, mercenary(Protecting merchants, and looking for jobs) and soldier(Gate denzion, also merchant bodyguard)

And I doubt that the JSDF would let all these native into the fortress like that.

So...think of the star fortress as a military base, and the town as a city outside of it, like Okinawa, which is probabely what the author based it on?
Old 2015-09-13, 21:30   Link #60
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Itami's reaction to Tuka's situation reveal Japanese cultural mindset on duty and affection and also how crappy they are when it comes to mental health.

Japanese value giri or gimu (duty or obligation) over ninjo (emotion). Itami is basically saying it isn't our obligation to help Tuka on her mental health. Which reflects a bad side of Japanese society not very supportive of Mental Health programs that they would rather pretend it isn't a problem that exist.
The validity of your claim about Japanese culture aside (since you don’t even provide a valid real-life example), the way you connect Itami’s comment with the so-called “bad Japanese culture” is stretching too much at best, especially given the context of what Itami was talking about like what have been well-presented by Klashikari and (to some extend) Tangowr in their replies to you.

For me, Itami wisely chose the lesser evil since, in many occasions, people who don't know what they're doing but insist to help (especially when it comes to medical health & psychology) ended up doing more harm than good. In this case, there's no such thing as "Elf expert" from our world, let alone "Elf psychiatrist". So Itami's choice to support Tuka in his capacity instead of inconsiderately hammering down reality to a psychologically-fragile girl like her (who, aside from her being in denial, is rather fine or physically functional at worst) is pretty wise for now. The problem is the uncertainty of Itami & the JSDF status in this fantasy world (for now). What if Itami's squad is ordered to leave after he hit Tuka with the harsh reality and she broke down? That's like getting rid of an abusive parent but you let the abused child alone without care afterwards. Nobody in their right mind would do that to people they wanted to help. Like Klashikari said, there is a huge difference between cognitive issue and complete collapse of the psyche. In an extreme case such as this, you'd rather have the former than the latter. I'm sure if Japan & JSDF give Itami more assurance of how long he'll be in the Alnus and give him more resources, he'll do the best to help Tuka's issue with it. But right now, he only have that female medic at his disposal who seem to want to play psychiatrist with the elf. That's clearly not good enough. I think all Itami can do now maybe asks Lelei for advice (that is if she has sufficient knowledge about high-elfs) and wrote to his higher-ups and discussed with them accordingly regarding what's best treatment for Tuka (and that's if the higher ups are willing to spend more effort to help with her psychological issues).