AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2015-11-08, 21:28   Link #6601
Buggerman

imagine mare and aura grow up.. aura will grown into beautiful woman with nice pair of boobs.. and mare will grow up become a handsome man with a big bulk under his skirts..

i am conflicted and disturbed by that imagination..
Buggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-08, 23:34   Link #6602
human6861

Few more hundred years for them to grow .
human6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 00:12   Link #6603
Prongs
Grand Duke of Lolitania

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
My criteria for a Hero would be Actions+Motives+Goals.
Actions:
He has saved some people, but he has also done some pretty horrific things (most of volume 7 for instance)
Motives:
He acts mostly on self preservation and pride, and occasionally due to anger, but he is not really setting out to save anyone (except maybe himself, or people he personally knows and approves of).
Goals:
Survival and Self preservation

I do not count world domination as a goal, because it was kinda sprung on him and i'd classify it more as a method of eaching his goals anyway.

Yes, things would be lot worse without him, but i think the world would be able to deal with Nazaric in the end (though with immense cost and heavy casualties) like they did with 8 Greed Kings.

I think Ainz combines elements of a "Noble Demon", "Anti Villain" and "Necessarily Evil".
Other appropriate tropes would be "Evil virtues" and "Even Evil has Standards".
Ainz and the people of Nazaric are not two dimensional card board villains, they are complex, and sometimes even sympathetic, but if they were not the point of view characters, they would most certainly be villains (and the story would be a tragedy).
How Naive.... this is not heroic tale... this is survival tale...
Old 2015-11-09, 00:15   Link #6604
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongs View Post
How Naive.... this is not heroic tale... this is survival tale...
I'm not sure about your meaning.
Or how it relates to the point that Ainz is not a hero (in most modern usages of the word).
The story has no heroes (except tragic ones like Gazef and Climb), and is about how the reluctant villain by necessity takes over the world.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 00:45   Link #6605
Fwarlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
As for what would happen without Ainz, is kinda irrelevant on whether Ainz is villain or hero.
Ainz might be a lesser evil compared to Nazaric without him, but that does not make him heroic or not a villain.
Then what make someone a hero or a villain, may I ask you? You said about motives and goals, but can you truly judge another person's true motives and goals, which only exist in their head. Humans aren't God, we can't judge others by their mindset, but by their actions only. There're countless people hailed as heroes in human's history, but it's because people admire their heroic actions, not because we understand exactly what they thought and why they did the deeds, since it's completely impossible.
If someone do something beneficial to a group of men, they are their hero. It's just that simple. It means Ainz is the hero of this story, since because of him, the majority of characters' lives are going to become much better.
Quote:
The Overlord novels don't really work well with hero/villain dichotomy, there are pure heroic characters (Climb, Gazef) and pure villains (Demiurge), but most are a mix of traits where the hero/villain monikers can largely depend on which side you are on (kinda like real life).

To Nazaric, Ainz is a hero.
To everyone else, he is a villain.
Then how about people in Carne village or the lizardmen? If you argue they're part of Nazarick now, then once Ainz finishes conquering the world, everything will be part of Nazarick and he will be everyone's hero.
Old 2015-11-09, 01:19   Link #6606
luffyxnami

Trying to figure if someone is a hero or not is hard, I mean look at our history. Some of the people we believe as hero are a real piece of work, I mean look at Heracles Greek greatest myth hero, the dude murder his entire family or other shit and we call him a hero. Jason is even worst, of course they are myth and not real but the same apply to ainz.

Ps: I gotta ask, how is climb and gazef hero? They have done shit to deserve being call hero, the kingdom was heading toward a civil war that could led to who know how many death and gazef could do shit to prevent it, ainz pretty much make the problem disappear in one single moment. Climb also did shit so far to be deserve to call a hero, most of his action all center around one crazy chick like trying to make her look good, or this must be what she want and stuff. So can someone remind me how are they hero, it's the fact that they put they live on the line to protect their belief?

Last edited by luffyxnami; 2015-11-09 at 01:45.
luffyxnami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 01:58   Link #6607
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luffyxnami View Post
Trying to figure if someone is a hero or not is hard, I mean look at our history. Some of the people we believe as hero are a real piece of work, I mean look at Heracles Greek greatest myth hero, the dude murder his entire family or other shit and we call him a hero. Jason is even worst, of course they are myth and not real but the same apply to ainz.

Ps: I gotta ask, how is climb and gazef hero? They have done shit to deserve being call hero, the kingdom was heading toward a civil war that could led to who know how many death and gazef could do shit to prevent it, ainz pretty much make the problem disappear in one single moment. Climb also did shit so far to be deserve to call a hero, most of his action all center around one crazy chick like trying to make her look good, or this must be what she want and stuff. So can someone remind me how are they hero, it's the fact that they put they live on the line to protect their belief?
it also depends on the Definition of the word "HERO"

it old days "Hero" denote someone who does great deeds. Doesn't necessarily have to be good person.

It is only recently that Hero = good brave person
Old 2015-11-09, 02:08   Link #6608
luffyxnami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
it also depends on the Definition of the word "HERO"

it old days "Hero" denote someone who does great deeds. Doesn't necessarily have to be good person.

It is only recently that Hero = good brave person
Actually the dictionary classify hero as
"a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities." The word good is not in it.
Old 2015-11-09, 02:41   Link #6609
Breimn

I think Xeloos means the typical shounen moralfag heroes , in which case he should just write it this way.
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 02:48   Link #6610
luffyxnami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimn View Post
I think Xeloos means the typical shounen moralfag heroes , in which case he should just write it this way.
Ok so he is using a shounen definition of the word hero and try to apply it to a senein work, got it thanks. Will if we goes by that definition then I guess ainz ain't a hero but then doesn't that mean no one is, since shounen hero don't kill people, but here pretty much everyone is killing someone.
Old 2015-11-09, 04:39   Link #6611
Waxman

Uh? I know that most shonen heroes abuse the power of love and friendship but many have taken Livesound.
Climb is talentless, an horfan and has a stupid level loyalty and an unyielding spirit almost in the level of Seiya, he almost deserves his own shonen stories.
Waxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 07:50   Link #6612
Namorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonking9 View Post
........2pages long of pointless arguments and speculation but no one had answer mine original question! any confirmation if the author is a guy or a woman? instead we stray way off topic about a topic that has no real answer to........

Well, no answer is also an answer... unless you expect everyone to write a "I don't know"-post this is probably all you will get. (Sorry!^^)

The author's full name appears to be "Maruyama Kugane", right? Kugane doesn't seem to be a female name, but then again... it might be just a pen name.
I simply assume the author is male because of the name. *shrugs*

Last edited by Namorax; 2015-11-09 at 11:57. Reason: Typo!
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 07:54   Link #6613
overlord
Overlord Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonking9 View Post
........2pages long of pointless arguments and speculation but no one had answer mine original question! any confirmation if the author is a guy or a woman? instead we stray way off topic about a topic that has no real answer to........
I'm not sure about the validity of this but in Bakaupdates Maruyama Kugane is a male.
Spoiler for Bakaupdates:
overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 08:48   Link #6614
Breimn

Are you sure you are not confused with fatalpulse? Some anons in 4chan overlord threads did say that fatalpulse is a woman and maruyama is a male.
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 11:56   Link #6615
Namorax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimn View Post
Are you sure you are not confused with fatalpulse? Some anons in 4chan overlord threads did say that fatalpulse is a woman and maruyama is a male.
No, I'm not confusing anything... I simply did a typo... sorry for that...
Namorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 13:40   Link #6616
expertsource

wn massacre google documents are broken. i can't access massacre part1-2-3-4 any of them at all.
expertsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 14:15   Link #6617
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luffyxnami View Post
Actually the dictionary classify hero as
"a person, typically a man, who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities." The word good is not in it.
i think "Noble Qualities" would denote good behavior and again that is the current definition.

90% of the Greek Heroes in classic literature are rapist. Under current standards none of them would be consider heroes but back then it is the deeds that count not the personality.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2015-11-09 at 15:52.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 15:46   Link #6618
dragonking9

Does it really matter? a hero is just a title given by people that see them as how they think a hero is. for a person that might be a hero but for another it might be a monster.
Also it can change depend on the situation. One moment you are a hero the next you are a criminal. The people decide the title.even if you are a tyrant that eat your own people,your army might even see you as their hero.
Others can come with hundred of reasons that Ainz is a hero or a villian,but in my eyes he is the Overlord!!!!!!!!! The god of life and death! XD

hmmmm,thanks for the answer anyway about the author gender. Still don't know the truth but i hope 1 day someone can confirm it to me with some fact.
dragonking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 16:34   Link #6619
dragonking9

hey,does anyone remember which chapter it was again when the lich captain from the katze plains swear fealty toward Ainz? The web novel in case others are confuse.
dragonking9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-09, 17:57   Link #6620
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i think "Noble Qualities" would denote good behavior and again that is the current definition.

90% of the Greek Heroes in classic literature are rapist. Under current standards none of them would be consider heroes but back then it is the deeds that count not the personality.
Not ncessarily even deeds.
Considering that pretty much all of Jasons "deeds" (if i remember correctly, been a decade since i read the story, and there may be different versions of it) were actually done by other people he was travelling with.
Including his wife, who he abandoned for a younger woman once she was of no more use to him.

So the greek word "hero" might be more accurately be considered "protagonist" in todays terminology.
J4n1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, harem, lich, transfer to another world, world domination