Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-01-16, 07:00   Link #101
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulin View Post
By the way, shouldn't Reina Kousaka from Hibike be either in Best Female Lead or Best Side Character?
I'm overall rather surprised at the lack of Hibike in the final tally. It looks like KyoAni shows have left such a sour taste in our fellow forum goers that they went from an inevitability in the nominations to struggling to even get into a single category.

I honestly thought that Hibike was a fantastic show. Not Hyouka amazing but still some of the best work out of that studio in the current self-published era.

I'm also shocked... Shocked and appalled by the lack of a top 3 Working!!! nomination. What has this world came to?
Old 2016-01-16, 07:11   Link #102
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
It looks like KyoAni shows have left such a sour taste in our fellow forum goers that they went from an inevitability in the nominations to struggling to even get into a single category.
You can blame Kyoukai no Kanata and ChuuKoi S2 for that. Two utterly irredeemably garbage anime aired back-to-back must have done wonders for KyoAni's reputation here.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 09:06   Link #103
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I'm overall rather surprised at the lack of Hibike in the final tally.
Well, it isn't going to qualify in lots of categories like fantasy, sci-fi, etc. It does place in the top three for slice-of-life and for visuals. It also faced serious competition from Shirobako which I personally thought had a stronger script.

The ensemble cast probably cost it a bit in the main/supporting female categories, too, as the discussion about Reina shows.

The biggest surprise for me was the poor showing for the OP, "Dream Solister."

Still, popularity plays an enormous role in determining votes. While we don't know how popular shows are among AS members, over at MAL, One-Punch Man was scored by three times as many people as Euphonium.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 11:22   Link #104
MCAL

Just want to note that the ending of Kekkai Sensen has the opening listed instead. The ending is Sugar song to bitter step by Unison Square Garden
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-16, 11:46   Link #105
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
I really have to wonder what makes Gilgamesh such a great villain that ASuki would prefer him over Dio Goddamn Brando, but the F/SN VN is too damn long for me to bother trying out at the time, which in turn makes me wonder how this franchise took off around here so well considering the insanely heavy reading requirement for watching anything related to it.

Also, these nomination results just confirm that more people here on ASuki need to watch Houkago no Pleiades. I mean, this series is awesome, why not? It's sad how underappreciated this gem of an anime is in the poll results; it was the second best show of the year for me.

Images
shameless promoting
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'd wager people like Gilgamesh thanks to Fate/Zero, not the F/SN VN and certainly not the UBW anime. Honestly, I'm more shocked Dio got this many votes. He's iconic for sure, but I've always felt he was the most boring Jojo villain alongside Diavolo.

I voted for neither of them because I judged them based on their "performance" in the 2015 series alone. If I had taken previous series and stuff that hasn't been animated into account, I would have voted for Kotomine and UBW-only watchers would have never understood why, so I decided against it.

Now, if Kira Yoshikage doesn't win next year (or whenever he'll be eligible), then we'll have a problem.
Old 2016-01-16, 12:15   Link #106
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Well, it isn't going to qualify in lots of categories like fantasy, sci-fi, etc. It does place in the top three for slice-of-life and for visuals. It also faced serious competition from Shirobako which I personally thought had a stronger script.

The ensemble cast probably cost it a bit in the main/supporting female categories, too, as the discussion about Reina shows.
This pretty much explains it.

Hibike was an excellent show with some very strong characters, but the only categories it makes sense in are ones that are crowded and/or have stiff competition.

"Drama" and "Slice of Life" are two of the broader genre categories, and I think it's been a very strong year for anime female leads. Kumiko was one of 5 different female leads I considered for my 3 nomination slots, and she ended up being one of the painful cuts for me.

Voters might want to make a conscientious effort to "spread the love around". I remember how, back during the 2012 AS Choice Awards, I supported Tari Tari over Hyouka in Best Slice of Life in spite of how I felt Hyouka was the slightly stronger show overall. This is because I also felt that Tari Tari was one of the best anime shows of the year and should get something at least. With Hyouka having Best Mystery totally locked down, I felt it would be nice to spread the love around some, and Tari Tari ended up winning Best Slice of Life by precisely one vote over Hyouka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'd wager people like Gilgamesh thanks to Fate/Zero, not the F/SN VN and certainly not the UBW anime. Honestly, I'm more shocked Dio got this many votes. He's iconic for sure, but I've always felt he was the most boring Jojo villain alongside Diavolo.
Gilgamesh is technically in two different 2015 anime (I won't say what the other one is since that would be spoiling ). And I felt he was a very solid antagonist in both of them.

Being a very solid antagonist in 2 different shows in 1 year is worthy of an End of Year award, in my opinion.
Old 2016-01-16, 20:03   Link #107
SuitUp
ˇGracias Totales!

I for one am very bothered by the fact that it appears once again Baby Steps is going to lose in the Sports category, last year it was to Ping Pong (kind of understandable), but this year is getting outvoted by Shougeki no Soma? In a sports category? Really?
Also, the F/SN crowd is as strong as ever I see.
Still, glad that Shirobako is getting the votes it deserves

Last edited by SuitUp; 2016-01-16 at 22:53.
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 06:16   Link #108
aakun4

I'm so happy Yona did so well and in SO many categories! I thought the anime was really underrated so this is wonderful news.

On the bad side, it sucks that Saekano couldnt make to any category even if it did get some votes. Worst part is that it would have ranked on the romance category if I voted for it... And I actually considered voting it but I wasn't sure if such ambiguous harem counted as actual romance so I didn't do it in the end.

Also I was happy to see fafner got some love here, because that one IS actually really underrated lol
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 11:32   Link #109
kitten320

I'm confused why Diamond no Ace is considered ongoing... Season 1 did end
Old 2016-01-17, 13:44   Link #110
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I'm confused why Diamond no Ace is considered ongoing... Season 1 did end
According to the rules:

Quote:
TV series who have a continuation announced for next year and will start airing within 1 season/cour (approximately three months) of the last series' finishing date
Diamond no Ace, if I'm not mistaken, has a second season set for Spring season next year.
Old 2016-01-17, 15:55   Link #111
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Although neither got "qualified", I am finding it strange what is considered "ED1" and "ED2" of Aldnoah.Zero

What about "aLIEz"? I wonder if people actually wanted to vote for that but weren't sure which ED it was considered because in the first cour the ED switched around almost randomly between "aLIEz" and "A/Z" depending on the episode. "Genesis" however was the ending for the 2nd half of the series.

So right now "A/Z" was considered ED1, "Genesis" considered ED2, while "aLIEz" (IMO by far the best of the 3) was appearently not even considered a legitimate choice for some reason...

Well even if all the votes given were for aLIEz it would only amount 5pt, which would not change the current result, but I just wanted to point this out, because I actually considered nominating it as well, but because I had other, slightly less important, but easier to handle choice, I just left it alone and it's possible that I wasn't the only one. Maybe, in the future AS choice awards, some claryfication would be necessary for "odd" cases like this were the ED/OP changes randomly during a cour, so there are no misunderstandings like in this case.

EDIT: wait, what is that? The track credited for the "ED1" is not even "A/Z" or "aLIEz", but instead the OP2 "&Z"!?

Last edited by GreyZone; 2016-01-17 at 16:09.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-17, 16:19   Link #112
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

Now, if Kira Yoshikage doesn't win next year (or whenever he'll be eligible), then we'll have a problem.
Dude, Joseph Joestar couldn't even win when his time arrived.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-18, 01:19   Link #113
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
You can blame Kyoukai no Kanata and ChuuKoi S2 for that. Two utterly irredeemably garbage anime aired back-to-back must have done wonders for KyoAni's reputation here.
tbh I put Hibike off for months because of the bad taste both had left from KyoAni (& tamako market wasn't great either) despite the praise of it from several of my friends :.

I did end up liking it a good deal, I was just hesitant over KyoAni's recent works.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-18, 08:15   Link #114
andromeda0201

Well I usually consider KyoAni's works for the best animation category despite not necessarily liking the show itself, but nowadays having at least good animation seems to be the norm for most stuff anyway.
Hibike's first episode didn't capture my attention as I thought it was the usual 'cute girls doing cute stuff' formula for Kyoani, and given limited time to watch 'cute girls', I would much rather watch Shirobako. Granted, both are vastly different, but if I were to consider voting for slice-of-life then Shirobako wins hands down. Last year had its share of memorable anime too so I'm not surprised that Hibike slipped the mind of most people, not that Kyoani left a sour taste or such.

That aside, I'm so glad that Bones has made a comeback with solid works like Kekkai Sensen and Noragami Aragoto. If Akagami was eligible it would surely have made it into the romance category. They have their hands full this year with some big projects so definitely looking forward to the next poll!
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-18, 09:48   Link #115
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Dude, Joseph Joestar couldn't even win when his time arrived.
Joseph came in third place with only a two vote difference with first place. It can happen. BELIEVE!
Old 2016-01-18, 11:51   Link #116
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
tbh I put Hibike off for months because of the bad taste both had left from KyoAni (& tamako market wasn't great either) despite the praise of it from several of my friends :.

I did end up liking it a good deal, I was just hesitant over KyoAni's recent works.
Same, but extend it a few more years xD

Hibike is a good anime, but there's a lot of competition in those areas. Also the way I see it, the first part wasn't impressive and a bit boring so it took a while for it to stand out at all. It's not like ,say, Shigatsu or Aldnoah which started by bashing people on the head about what it was about, and never really let up as such.

EDIT: Not that it matters, but I see 3 votes (and 5 points). For Fate Testarossa. (3 votes from myself, Triple_R, and Spartan) but it says 2 votes and 4 pts.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2016-01-18 at 21:10.
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote