AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahouka [LN/M] - Master Clan Conference Arc (Volume 17-19) Rating
Perfect 10 12 25.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 21.28%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 27.66%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 14.89%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 6.38%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 2.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 2.13%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2016-03-15, 16:41   Link #2581
amtro
Distro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozomu Itoshiki View Post
@Mashingan, from what you can get about volume 19 I need to ask some questions:

1.- What's the actual status of Masaki and Mayumi regarding Miyuki and Tatsuya? it is true some comments on 2ch talking about the fact that both have no chances at all?

2.- Basically Tatsuya is just a failure in a experiment looking for a much more overpowered ability? This is what I can get from the info in this volume, maybe I read that in a wrong way since my japanese isn't that good.
No, Tatsuya is a lucky coincidence. His abilities are of value to the sponsor, although to what extent is currently unknown.
Old 2016-03-15, 17:47   Link #2582
mashingan
魔神眼

Quote:
@Mashingan, from what you can get about volume 19 I need to ask some questions:

1.- What's the actual status of Masaki and Mayumi regarding Miyuki and Tatsuya? it is true some comments on 2ch talking about the fact that both have no chances at all?

2.- Basically Tatsuya is just a failure in a experiment looking for a much more overpowered ability? This is what I can get from the info in this volume, maybe I read that in a wrong way since my japanese isn't that good.
1. Yes, likely that's so. If it's Masaki's case, no matter how his effort, Miyuki's heart is fixed with Tatsuya. (When Masaki invited Miyuki to movie theater, Miyuki was actually troubled and she only looked to Tatsuya).
Mayumi didn't even make an effort to get Tatsuya's attention/affection. Their interaction was still in just as close kouhai-senpai.

2. I don't know about failure, however Aoba's said that Tatsuya is coincident product.
If we're looking about the existence that can wield much stronger magic (or more versatile in magic), we could say it yes, Tatsuya is a failure product.
However if we're looking at another point of view, it was actually his ES that coincident product. Honestly, when someone can see and understand others magic in one sight, it is super useful right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
So outside of the feeling of losing a co-worker Kyouko wasn't even that torn over his death. Poor Toshi.
Yes, she didn't feel that much grief about his death.
mashingan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 18:04   Link #2583
bakato

I feel sorry for Inagaki. He looks like some poor schmuck caught in the wrong place at the wrong time.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 18:16   Link #2584
Nozomu Itoshiki
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtro View Post
No, Tatsuya is a lucky coincidence. His abilities are of value to the sponsor, although to what extent is currently unknown.
Failure trying to achieve another goal = concidence, did you read my post? (still a VERY lucky coincidence since Tats is overpowered as fuck).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashingan View Post
1. Yes, likely that's so. If it's Masaki's case, no matter how his effort, Miyuki's heart is fixed with Tatsuya. (When Masaki invited Miyuki to movie theater, Miyuki was actually troubled and she only looked to Tatsuya).
Mayumi didn't even make an effort to get Tatsuya's attention/affection. Their interaction was still in just as close kouhai-senpai.

2. I don't know about failure, however Aoba's said that Tatsuya is coincident product.
If we're looking about the existence that can wield much stronger magic (or more versatile in magic), we could say it yes, Tatsuya is a failure product.
However if we're looking at another point of view, it was actually his ES that coincident product. Honestly, when someone can see and understand others magic in one sight, it is super useful right?
Thanks! then seems like my japanese isn't that bad after all.

I'm glad to have a confirmation about Masaki, don't get me wrong I have nothing against him but I think his attitude and way to express his feelings are so childish and spoiled, almost like a kid who need help from his father to do something about his own life.

On the other hand about Mayumi, well ... what a waste. On Mahouka Mayumi is one of those nice characters who adds something "mature" among the other students (even if sometimes she acts like a young girl) and also she give us some funny moments like the ones when Tatsuya bully her. One detail i need to point is how she's one of the most loyal characters in the LN, with her family, her friends and also very clear about the problems where she's involved.

So regarding Tatsuya what happend is just a huge coincidence after all, and yeah I agree with you that "concidence" is super useful. Now I wonder what was that "final product" because if Tats is already one of the strongest magicians out ther and is considered like that, what kind of power must be that final goal.

PS: anyone remember the Magatama? what happened with that stone?
Nozomu Itoshiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 18:35   Link #2585
Zeborg

Meh, I think the first year cast was better than the 2nd year. Also the character I was most interested about reading, Kent Smith had like no screen time whatsoever during the entire 2nd year time period.

I hope Satou manages to bring in more interesting characters for the next volume, and the third year.
Zeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 18:56   Link #2586
BalorView

Quote:

On the other hand about Mayumi, well ... what a waste. On Mahouka Mayumi is one of those nice characters who adds something "mature" among the other students (even if sometimes she acts like a young girl) and also she give us some funny moments like the ones when Tatsuya bully her. One detail i need to point is how she's one of the most loyal characters in the LN, with her family, her friends and also very clear about the problems where she's involved.
Well, it's so clear that Mayumi is deeply in love with Tatsuya , she's just not openly makes a move on him yet.
BalorView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 20:10   Link #2587
Medivh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeborg View Post
The 100 families are part of the 10MC system. The families are there because of power, not simply as representatives from the magic community. Anyone can take their place. Like what happened with Shippou for instance.
Being anti 10MC = being anti 100 families. So it doesn't really make sense to me.

The traditionalists aren't really relevant because first off, they haven't been on Tatsuya's side. So that rules them out. And secondly, when talking specifically about Yakumo, he doesn't take part in political events. He is neutral and a buddhist monk. Something very strange would have to happen for him to go against Tatsuya. I think it would actually have to be Tatsuya who starts doing something crazy for Yakumo to oppose him.

Oh, I see.
10mc are just made up of 28 families. There is literally no way a 100 family can be a 10mc member. The 28 families come from the 10 lab which is why they are more powerful. They banded together to safeguard the interest of magicians which resulted in the current 10mc system.

Yakumo is affiliated to hieizan, an organization. If they see fit to ask yakumo for help, he would help. Of course, we don't know much about them and their willingness to participate, so it is just speculation on my part.
Medivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 20:18   Link #2588
Jedsada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalorView View Post
Well, it's so clear that Mayumi is deeply in love with Tatsuya , she's just not openly makes a move on him yet.
if her make a move right now (While Tatsuya's mental condition still the same), Mayumi will get answer similar Honoka's one (neither accept nor reject).
Jedsada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 20:23   Link #2589
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medivh View Post
Yakumo is affiliated to hieizan, an organization. If they see fit to ask yakumo for help, he would help. Of course, we don't know much about them and their willingness to participate, so it is just speculation on my part.
Hieizan just mean Mount Hiei, it's not an organization in itself. The organisation there is the Tendai Buddhism sect at Enryaku-ji.
azarhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 20:29   Link #2590
Medivh

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
Hieizan just mean Mount Hiei, it's not an organization in itself. The organisation there is the Tendai Buddhism sect at Enryaku-ji.
They always reference the mountain and the sect might be different in the book.
Medivh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 20:50   Link #2591
Zeborg

Quote:
10mc are just made up of 28 families. There is literally no way a 100 family can be a 10mc member. The 28 families come from the 10 lab which is why they are more powerful. They banded together to safeguard the interest of magicians which resulted in the current 10mc system.
There is nothing theoretically stopping a 100 numbered family from entering the 10MC. The naming convention is just a formality. Clans get stripped of their numbers, and numbers could be added into a clan name. It's a position held by strength. The only thing stopping it from happening is the advantage of genetic modifications that the 10MC has.

But this wasn't what the discussion was about. It was whether the 100 families were part of the 10MC system. Which basically just means that they're government sanctioned
Quote:
Magicians that belong to the Hundred Families are usually known for their own magic specialties and enjoy comfort provided by the government, hence like the Ten Master Clans, they have a strong sense of responsibility towards helping the nation (military aspect). It is emphasized that the students who bear numbers on their names have a sense of responsibility to uphold.
Hence, if we're making sides here, it would be very strange for them to turn on the 10MC, when they're in the same boat.

Quote:
The only thing we know about that is that it was mentioned in volume 14. Could mean anything. If it's an organization with goals, it still wouldn't mean that Yakumo would automatically accept going against Tatsuya. He is still neutral. And when it comes to Tatsuya he would much rather be on his side. So there needs to be much more incentive for him to act that way.
Old 2016-03-15, 20:53   Link #2592
azarhal

Quote:
They always reference the mountain and the sect might be different in the book.
Japaneses on 2ch vol 19 threads were using Hieizan to talk about Enryaku-ji. They directly referenced the sect/temple creator and other things about the temple while speculating about Toudou Aoba. That's actually how I found out what should be on Hieizan.
Old 2016-03-15, 21:24   Link #2593
Echizen777

Quote:
There is nothing theoretically stopping a 100 numbered family from entering the 10MC. The naming convention is just a formality. Clans get stripped of their numbers, and numbers could be added into a clan name. It's a position held by strength. The only thing stopping it from happening is the advantage of genetic modifications that the 10MC has.
They can't. The 28 families are the product of the 10 labs and produce the most gifted Magicians in Japan. Magicians from the 100 families can be powerful or gifted but they can't compare to one of them. It's why the choices is always between the 10 most powerful clans among the 28 and why Yotsuba and Saegusa have never lost their place.
Echizen777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-15, 21:41   Link #2594
Zeborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
They can't. The 28 families are the product of the 10 labs and produce the most gifted Magicians in Japan. Magicians from the 100 families can be powerful or gifted but they can't compare to one of them. It's why the choices is always between the 10 most powerful clans among the 28 and why Yotsuba and Saegusa have never lost their place.
Of course they can. There are plenty of very strong magicians that have not gone through gene modifications that are at 10MC level, for example Mari is said to rival Mayumi and Katsuto and she's from the 100 families. The only thing the 28 families signify is that their powers come from a lab.
Lets say that a clan appears that have 5 people of Tatsuya's strength and they're from the 100 families. That clan would most likely be promoted to the 10MC. There is no clause stopping this from happening. It's just very unlikely, because of the edge the 28 families have, like I said.

The official description of the 10MC:
Quote:
The Ten Master Clans is the title given to the top ten most influential Magic Families in Japan. The power of these Houses ascends beyond that of judicial authorities.
Old 2016-03-15, 21:54   Link #2595
Echizen777

Quote:
Of course they can. There are plenty of very strong magicians that have not gone through gene modifications that are at 10MC level, for example Mari is said to rival Mayumi and Katsuto and she's from the 100 families. The only thing the 28 families signify is that their powers come from a lab.
Lets say that a clan appears that have 5 people of Tatsuya's strength and they're from the 100 families. That clan would most likely be promoted to the 10MC. There is no clause stopping this from happening. It's just very unlikely, because of the edge the 28 families have, like I said.

The official description of the 10MC:
Even if some can reach a level comparable to the 10MC it's more because of combat prowess. As said several times, MP is different from CP. In terms of pure talent they are behind. Yakumo is easily top 10MC level but it's more but he doesn't rely on Modern Magic. The clans also have shared abilities so just forming a group of strong people wouldn't be enough. It'd be better to add them to the actual clans. Someone who is not from one of the 28 families entering in one of them is unheard of but I guess it's possible, though unlikely. The chances of getting descendants with MP fitting the 10MC would drop I think.
Old 2016-03-15, 22:04   Link #2596
Zeborg

Quote:
Even if some can reach a level comparable to the 10MC it's more because of combat prowess. As said several times, MP is different from CP. In terms of pure talent they are behind. Yakumo is easily top 10MC level but it's more but he doesn't rely on Modern Magic. The clans also have shared abilities so just forming a group of strong people wouldn't be enough. It'd be better to add them to the actual clans. Someone who is not from one of the 28 families entering in one of them is unheard of but I guess it's possible, though unlikely. The chances of getting descendants with MP fitting the 10MC would drop I think.
Never said it was likely to happen. It's just a theoretical possibility. The idea of the 10MC is just to have the 10 strongest families of the country in a single group. So a family could claim a spot through sheer power. The other families are behind because of the genetic manipulation of the 28 families. So they aren't really considered. It's also possible that a member of the 10MC would marry into one of the prominent 100 families. Or an outsider would marry into the 100 families, like Kudou married into an American family, bringing unique magical talents.
Well, there are scenarios that could be thought of. But we're getting away from the point and it's not all that realistic.
Old 2016-03-16, 09:41   Link #2597
YbKWzNEb
Uninstall

just a guess but what if the same side the author is talking about who will become tatsuya's enemy is the yotsuba itself? iirc the branch heads doesn't want to accept him, and they are technically on the same side.

YbKWzNEb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-16, 11:15   Link #2598
Echizen777

It's unlikely but what if it was Miyuki for some obscure reasons? We know that the sponsor has plans for Tatsuya, he is the one who matters here and it's because of Maya that they are now engaged, Maya probably is one of his subordinates and knows how to use Miyuki.
Old 2016-03-16, 11:44   Link #2599
azarhal

It would be nice to have the wording from the novel for that "ally turned enemy". Since vol 17-19 previews, I'll would dial down my expectations too.

It could just be Kent revealed to be a USNA spy who dies in 10 seconds.
Old 2016-03-16, 12:36   Link #2600
Zeborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by YbKWzNEb View Post
just a guess but what if the same side the author is talking about who will become tatsuya's enemy is the yotsuba itself? iirc the branch heads doesn't want to accept him, and they are technically on the same side.

I think the Yotsuba are very loyal and insecular. It's possible, but I think they had their chance before Miyuki was made the heir. They aren't traitors, they just had their worries. Now that the successor is named, they'll just go along with it.
Quote:
It's unlikely but what if it was Miyuki for some obscure reasons? We know that the sponsor has plans for Tatsuya, he is the one who matters here and it's because of Maya that they are now engaged, Maya probably is one of his subordinates and knows how to use Miyuki.
Even saying it's unlikely is giving that thought too much credit. There is really no way to write the characters against each other. The only way for them to oppose each other is if the other party is doing something they consider too dangerous. Like how Miyuki stopped Tatsuya in volume 13. To Tatsuya Miyuki's life is much more important than his own, and to Miyuki Tatsuya's life is much more important than her own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
It would be nice to have the wording from the novel for that "ally turned enemy". Since vol 17-19 previews, I'll would dial down my expectations too.

It could just be Kent revealed to be a USNA spy who dies in 10 seconds.
Well, personally, I think a lot of that has to do with the name of the next arc. Which was something like Prelude to mayhem? Something like that anyway. It's supposed to be a much bigger arc than what we've had.

Tags
political intrigue