AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-06-24, 03:47   Link #1461
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

It’s so sad when modern anime with classic/retro art (from the 80s) and beautiful animation like this was betrayed by the shaky plot, poor writing and spotty directing. The last time this happened was G-Reco (totally glorious art & animation with terrible pacing & confusing plot) and that was such a missed opportunity coz it had all the ingredients to be a great series. But since I’ve seen this pattern with a certain writer of Kabaneri before, I’m already prepared for it and still managed to have a little bit of fun. Still, the ending can’t come soon enough so that I can finish this and be done with it (but I’ll still get the BD subs when it's out just for the art alone). All in all...*sigh*...is the best way to express myself when it comes to Kabaneri so far.
Old 2016-06-24, 09:38   Link #1462
Kusaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Kabaneri went from very good pulpy action fun to very disappointing to "so bad its good". The last two episodes will probably be amusing in how over-the-top they are, anyway.
Why can't it be both?

Not much of a compliment, either way, but the pulp format isn't really known for very intellectual storytelling that's lacking in over-the-top elements. In fact, it's essentially the opposite. Pulp was often described as "low quality literature" and that's not too far from Kabaneri's overall state, both past and present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It’s so sad when modern anime with classic/retro art (from the 80s) and beautiful animation like this was betrayed by the shaky plot, poor writing and spotty directing. The last time this happened was G-Reco (totally glorious art & animation with terrible pacing & confusing plot) and that was such a missed opportunity coz it had all the ingredients to be a great series.
It's curious how you're implying that the 1980s weren't full of anime with all or most of those traits, even if they looked pretty. "Classic/retro art" has never meant a guarantee of perfection. Not even when it was in style.

That said, this show is too predictable to be confusing. I'd argue that, given Tomino's quirks, G-Reco was a lot messier in comparison. For all the knee-jerk reactions in the previous posts, nothing has been shocking after what was already established at least two weeks ago, if not even before that point.

But at this point many of the complaints about Kabaneri seem to be fueled by inertia rather than by the series actually changing too much (wow, there are authority figures in this anime who are acting foolishly? Surely we haven't seen that before! Actually, it's always been the case, ever since the first episode). I mean, there are even people that find it hard to accept how Ikoma would change his look in this situation. That's never happened in anime, right? Well...I have news for you.

Last edited by Kusaja; 2016-06-24 at 09:59.
Kusaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 10:23   Link #1463
BluePhirePB

Yikes lots of hate for this anime now. But @ 12 eps only, let's see how this ends.
BluePhirePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 10:25   Link #1464
BoyTitan

They had the chance to fix the complaints in this series by fleshing out the shogun motives aside from a few tid bits here and there and they didn't. They even released his motives in another source of media. How fucking hard would it have been to put such important information in the series.

I have been defending the series but leaving out that information of Shogun reducing him into a 1 dimensional character is a huge flaw of this show.
Old 2016-06-24, 10:55   Link #1465
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

At this point, I'm just hoping for everybody to die. Only way this show will leave any kind of mark in my memory.
Old 2016-06-24, 11:04   Link #1466
moncikoma

okay... ep 11 kabaneri... makes me want to see someone cosplaying as..SPOILER
------
------
-----
SUPER SAIYAN STEAM KOMA...! his FINAL FORM is as EPIC as GOKU 1ST SUPER SAIYAN! ...
another cliffhanger with countless Plot holes..but still epic

1 more episode.. and i will miss this anime FOREVER
glad i already preorder all the bluray..
not a regret
thx u tetsuro, fuck u ichiro...but still.....
both of u're doing a pretty good job..
not Original, or Amazing.... but admirably pretty Good for this episode..
‪#‎StudioWit‬ ‪#‎kabaneri‬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It’s so sad when modern anime with classic/retro art (from the 80s) and beautiful animation like this was betrayed by the shaky plot, poor writing and spotty directing. The last time this happened was G-Reco (totally glorious art & animation with terrible pacing & confusing plot) and that was such a missed opportunity coz it had all the ingredients to be a great series. But since I’ve seen this pattern with a certain writer of Kabaneri before, I’m already prepared for it and still managed to have a little bit of fun. Still, the ending can’t come soon enough so that I can finish this and be done with it (but I’ll still get the BD subs when it's out just for the art alone). All in all...*sigh*...is the best way to express myself when it comes to Kabaneri so far.
acttually 1980's anime really have stupid plot just like this..
kabaneri fits them well ...

Last edited by moncikoma; 2016-06-24 at 11:25.
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 11:13   Link #1467
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncikoma View Post
They did their stupid plot with way better style though
Old 2016-06-24, 11:29   Link #1468
Freeter
beyond

Funny how Ikoma went from looking like John Lennon to David Bowie. Maybe the series is actually subliminal commentary on how the director hates current music and Justin Bieber
Old 2016-06-24, 11:31   Link #1469
moncikoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
They did their stupid plot with way better style though
vvvv this is what im talkin about..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Funny how Ikoma went from looking like John Lennon to David Bowie. Maybe the series is actually subliminal commentary on how the director hates current music and Justin Bieber
dont forget argento soma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
At this point, I'm just hoping for everybody to die. Only way this show will leave any kind of mark in my memory.
mumei will WALK like kaneki.. holding ikoma.. crying.. *bgm AIMER
moncikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 13:10   Link #1470
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
This series.... is actually kind of funny, you know? I mean if looked at from a comedic point of view, I just can't help but laugh.

Like seriously, Ikoma has the time to be crying and whining but what about his arm? Didn't that hurt like hell? Or he's indifferent to the loss of a limb

And then Ikoma was like lying on the rocks, and then next thing you know he's at Davey Jones locker And just what direction did he swim with the fishes, upstream or downstream? I ask because apparently Kurusu was fine with hauling a prisoner and auto-bike that seems to be working, all the while there is still that lone Kabane that was taking a walk on the beach

Then for some reason I couldn't help but laugh when Biba shoots that guy stomping on the shogun, and then proceeds to sit on the throne..... and think about horse back riding with his dad. I can't even tell if that was supposed to sad or what, that that's the best he can think of when it comes to happy thoughts with papa?

Hey, if I was a mad scientist, I'd only be experimenting with females Well not in that dastardly way, but you know.... for science
Biba is a narcissist. His tear wasn't so much oh my god I killed my dad. It was a oh yeah I have some good memories of me with my dad.

Me being the keyword here.
Old 2016-06-24, 15:35   Link #1471
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusaja View Post
It's curious how you're implying that the 1980s weren't full of anime with all or most of those traits, even if they looked pretty. "Classic/retro art" has never meant a guarantee of perfection. Not even when it was in style.
Quote:
It seems in order to defend this series, you both jumped to conclusion way too quickly and misinterpreted my comment in the process. How does it feel to be wrong? All I'm saying is that this series is such a waste of great art (which in this case happened to be retro) with execution that is lackluster. I'm not even implying that all anime in the 80s are masterpieces at all.

Quote:
For all the knee-jerk reactions in the previous posts, nothing has been shocking after what was already established at least two weeks ago, if not even before that point.
I'm not shocked either. Like I said , I already saw this pattern with this writer so I was prepared for it . That still doesn't help me from sighing after watching the product.

Quote:
I mean, there are even people that find it hard to accept how Ikoma would change his look in this situation. That's never happened in anime, right? Well...I have news for you.
Just because it happened in other anime before, doesn't make it good. If there are other series with direction as spotty as this one, people will criticize it too.
Old 2016-06-24, 15:47   Link #1472
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilHighDxD View Post
^What latter half of an Okouchi's anime isn't a trainwreck? I still bitching about Valvrave's ending (and Saki) even to this day.
And that's why the last thing I'm expecting from the last episode is that anything will be wrapped or given a proper closure.

Also in retrospect I feel very silly for trying to explain how Ikoma managed to defeat the Kabane curse in episode 1, and thinking that a clearer explanation would be provided.

Now Ikoma just took a drug that even enhances the kabane curse and that sent berserk other kabaneri before him, moreover he completely got rid of the restraints that so far worked as the flimsy explanation of his retaining a human mind.

And yet we all know at this point that in the end he will retain his human will and that absolutely no explanation will be given.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 21:18   Link #1473
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

So Ikoma is now Ash but without the chainsaw arm

Why did Biba have to do something so awesome like that
Old 2016-06-24, 21:34   Link #1474
bakato

Just one more episode. If they just gave one more episode for breathing room, this could have realized its potential. Well, at least Biba killed all the leaders in charge. When he's dead, Ayame will probably be the new leader.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 21:58   Link #1475
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That could work I got a good one: Yukina takes the Kotetsujo and rams it into the Biba train for the derailment of the century, with Sukari firing away on the turret. Rock on, shoujo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Biba is a narcissist. His tear wasn't so much oh my god I killed my dad. It was a oh yeah I have some good memories of me with my dad.

Me being the keyword here.
Eh, I didn't see any tears, what I did see was this huge "Mission accomplished" plastered over his face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Just one more episode. If they just gave one more episode for breathing room, this could have realized its potential. Well, at least Biba killed all the leaders in charge. When he's dead, Ayame will probably be the new leader.
Hm, there is still Ayame's purple band faction who seemingly disappeared. I was hoping this series was going to elaborate on that magazine article showing that those purple band guys were part of the Shogun faction, but I guess we had to figure that stuff out ourselves
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 23:01   Link #1476
DemonneoPT

Ikoma's face when he was in full Kabane mode reminded me of Tsukune from the Rosario to Vampire manga when he is in his black demon form. Really liked Ikoma's design specially with that gun attached to his arm. He suddenly became badass

Too bad everything else that led to the current situation was pure convenient nonsense with plot holes bigger than Erza's boobs! Apart for the amazing visuals and OST, this was indeed a trainwreck. Biba is probably one of the worst villains ever created :/
DemonneoPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-24, 23:37   Link #1477
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Will we see more hyper beam spams?
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 14:27   Link #1478
drawr

Quote:
vvvv this is what im talkin about..

dont forget argento soma

mumei will WALK like kaneki.. holding ikoma.. crying.. *bgm AIMER
I though I was the only one who though of argento soma with that transformation. Nice.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 16:25   Link #1479
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Episode 11 keeps it going strong from episode 10, except Biba's motives and what they choose to present for backstory is incomprehensibly stupid, and the bit with Ikoma's spy shanking one of Biba's men with the gate opening feels like "you actually let that happen?" But aside from that, the kabane infiltration when Biba is face to face with the Shogun is unexpectedly suspenseful, Ikoma's breakdown is handled realistically despite the fast rebound, and the final scene is badass (also proves removing glasses isn't just for moé points either). Mumei has some nice moments too but if she doesn't turn on Biba now, after all this shit went down, the show could tank. But it's not tanking at the moment, it's just very give and take

I'm going to push it and say Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is still a good time, no alcohol required~
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-25, 16:39   Link #1480
Draco Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Mad with fear then.

Guess it runs in the family.
Probably too much inbreeding. Tend to hit nobility pretty bad sometimes.
Draco Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, post-apocalyptic, steampunk, zombie apocalypse