AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2016-06-15, 19:52   Link #21
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I had also noticed the lack of Ghibli films, which kind of surprised me. But I agree that while they were widely watched they might fall into the same category as the Masterpiece Theatre anime works - many people watched them and they were influential to a pretty strong degree, but they were not really ... err ... "iconic" or even "classics" of anime as such by many in the way of being trailblazers or groundbreakers.
Old 2016-06-15, 20:02   Link #22
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I had also noticed the lack of Ghibli films, which kind of surprised me. But I agree that while they were widely watched they might fall into the same category as the Masterpiece Theatre anime works - many people watched them and they were influential to a pretty strong degree, but they were not really ... err ... "iconic" or even "classics" of anime as such by many in the way of being trailblazers or groundbreakers.
Funnily enough, I was about to mention them since all their movies are masterpieces of their own. They're not just great anime, but also great movies which can stand alongside films like The Godfather, The Untouchables, Forrest Gump, etc. Sadly, I committed to only list the classics of the 70s in my post (first page) since that is a decade that's rarely touched .
Old 2016-06-15, 21:55   Link #23
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
That's interesting. Can you give me the source for that (Japanese or English articles)? I'm a long time Gundam fan, yet I've never heard of that "Housewife-fans"-fact beyond rumors. All official articles that I read stated that it's Bandai's plastic model kits that saved the show from oblivion. I'd like to get your source since I like to read all things Gundam.

Well, this is already a common knowledge in Japan. Gundam is the first Real-Robot anime with more realistic and depressing atmosphere than the Super-Robot shows aired in the same decade which made it not that popular with the kids. Thus, the show was cancelled from the originally-planned 52 episodes into just 43. Much like the original Star Trek TV series, Blade Runner & 2001: A Space Odyssey, the original Gundam was not appreciated by its initial audience due to its concept that's ahead of its time which many audience of that time still not able to understand and enjoy it.
I will try and find them again and get back to you on that, but I did have an older woman as a tour guide in Japan who said she was a UC gundam fan and said she watched the original when it was on TV back in the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Sorry for the double post.

Yes I do agree that they are in the category of masterpiece anime, and I think they can also be held up as classic pieces of anime. They are not classic in terms of any one genre, but some of those are very specific to the niche areas of anime. These niche shows are not something I would use to introduce people into anime. For example Haruhi launched the Moe genre, but I wouldn't use the show to draw people into anime. Evangelion is a classic mecha deconstruction but again I wouldn't use it to get people into anime. For that I would use Ghost in the Shell SAC or Full metal alchemist brotherhood and Ghibli films.

Last edited by Flower; 2016-06-15 at 22:07.
crazyidiot78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 22:40   Link #24
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyidiot78 View Post
I will try and find them again and get back to you on that, but I did have an older woman as a tour guide in Japan who said she was a UC gundam fan and said she watched the original when it was on TV back in the day.
I'm looking forward to your actual source because mere one person (woman) can't really be used as a proof of a past-trend strong enough to save a series' rating. Also, can you confirm whether that woman watched the original airing of MSG in 1979 or the TV reruns in the 80s?
Old 2016-06-15, 23:56   Link #25
crazyidiot78

I believe the actual reference I need is from a book I have back in the states, and the internet sources will do until I leave Mongolia and return to PA next week.

I was able to find references to both model sales and rerun popularity and one source cites adolescences, but none list housewives. Also the woman was talking about the 1980 reruns.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-history-of-...t-r-1690326227

https://books.google.mn/books?id=XhS...larity&f=false

https://20matters.wordpress.com/2012...e-suit-gundam/
Old 2016-06-16, 01:04   Link #26
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyidiot78 View Post
I believe the actual reference I need is from a book I have back in the states,...

I was able to find references to both model sales and rerun popularity and one source cites adolescences, but none list housewives. Also the woman was talking about the 1980 reruns.
Yeah, I still need an actual article where it is said that Char-adoring housewives are the reason the show/franchise was saved. The Reruns being appealing for adolescence at the time is already well-known. Guess I still have to wait for that housewife proof. Still, thanks for your effort.

But let’s go into the more interesting part for now:
TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2016-06-16, 01:11   Link #27
crazyidiot78

I agree with you and for the life of me, I can't remember where I saw that. The only thing left is a book or two I have in the states. Something tells me regardless of the audience, it was a combination of the reruns popularity and toy sales, however it actually happened.
Old 2016-06-17, 13:38   Link #28
BPD Renegade

I'm just going to sneak in here and leave a 90's era series that managed to slip through the cracks: Yu Yu Hakusho.

C'mon guys, great picks and all, but don't Yusuke and the gang get some love?
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 15:37   Link #29
RichardFromMarple

I had assumed we were mostly listing Anime TV series rather than films, hence the lack of Ghibli titles.

Ghost In The Shell has been mentioned, & I would add Paprika.
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 21:51   Link #30
crazyidiot78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD Renegade View Post
I'm just going to sneak in here and leave a 90's era series that managed to slip through the cracks: Yu Yu Hakusho.

C'mon guys, great picks and all, but don't Yusuke and the gang get some love?
I will admit Yu Yu Hakusho was a good show for its time, but I am hesitant to call it a classic, however I think it is very close to that line. The problem it has is that it came out post dragon ball so people were worn down on fighting series by then. Also the American syndication was spotty at best. I was only able to see it through Togoro fight and not much after.

As for movies I will pass on Paprika for now since I haven't seen it.
Old 2016-07-06, 22:48   Link #31
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmm... I think I'd probably give a more strict version of "essential classics."

I'd argue for a list of anime that you really need to see to understand other anime that you see. Like the way the end of Fullmetal Alchemist referenced Neon Genesis Evangelion. Or the numerous call outs to Maison Ikkoku in just about every romance anime ever.

Anime that essentially changed anime, and so need to be watched just to understand anime. I mean, if you watch Maison Ikkoku, suddenly your perception of Love Hina changes quite a bit. Neon Genesis Evangelion also has had major impacts on anime that can not be ignored. For more recent anime it's a bit harder to say how much they actually changed things. Madoka you can actually already see some effects I think, but Haruhi was such a genre buster it's hard to say. Though I'll include it just because it impacted the anime community so heavily.

Something like this list: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...EssentialAnime

Though I might cut it down to this:

Space Battleship Yamato
Mobile Suit Gundam
Maison Ikkoku
Ranma 1/2
Sailor Moon
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ah My Goddess
Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z
Touch
Madoka Magica
Clannad
K-On
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Fullmetal Alchemist
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

There are also probably a bunch that I have not watched that ought be considered essential:

Cowboy Bebop
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Serial Experiments Lain
Gurren Lagann
Fist of The North Star

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote