AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2016-09-18, 08:24   Link #1741
HirouKeimou

It's kind of funny that I more of believe the franchise will end from his [Kawamori] lack of ideas for the franchise and everyone else believes it'll be from fans' backlash because of the triangular issue of Frontier. Which is hilarious because oh my loving god did SAO fall into said category of fans' backlash for the second half of the first series and still received a 25-episode sequel (material for it or not).
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 09:05   Link #1742
Convoy
Knight of Infinity

Can't Bandai just commission some new producer to make a sequel in a new timeframe or a reboot altogether?
Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 10:06   Link #1743
KongaKonga

This series is waste of potential...All character is nice and likeable....I likes plot the song is power/weapon and resonance stuff but the second cour kill it..anyways really enjoy the idol stuff in this anime that the only good thing it have haha

Last edited by KongaKonga; 2016-09-18 at 10:07. Reason: typo
KongaKonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 10:29   Link #1744
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convoy View Post
Can't Bandai just commission some new producer to make a sequel in a new timeframe or a reboot altogether?
With the success of Yamato 2199, I'm surprised that this hasn't happened yet (with or without Kawamori involved).
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 10:29   Link #1745
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
It's kind of funny that I more of believe the franchise will end from his [Kawamori] lack of ideas for the franchise and everyone else believes it'll be from fans' backlash because of the triangular issue of Frontier. Which is hilarious because oh my loving god did SAO fall into said category of fans' backlash for the second half of the first series and still received a 25-episode sequel (material for it or not).
Who would believe that the Macross franchise would end because of the probably most popular series it has spawned, which was most focused on the romance aspect and still handled mecha and music excellently? That's incredibly stupid.

Since Delta is such a disappointment overall, I think the "we have to do something different this time" aspect of Kawamoris approach to Macross series coalesced into what we got this time around.
Old 2016-09-18, 10:36   Link #1746
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Can we all agree the reason for Delta disappointment is the sponsor?
If the sponsors never nagged Kawamori to re-included the love triangle we might would had seen the actual delta story with more Mikumo development and Walkure.
I swear the love triangle in this series completely irrelevant.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 11:42   Link #1747
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Guys, I believe you're still confusing the vocal minority with the silent majority. Take a look at Newtype's october issue's favorite anime/characters' pool. Does it really strike you as a show that's irritating its majoritary fanbase? I just think there's an issue of inflated self-importance and entitlement, here. And I'm not sure this is a nice fandom, anymore...

And that sucks, because I made quite a few nice friends, here.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 11:51   Link #1748
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxis View Post
Can we all agree the reason for Delta disappointment is the sponsor?
If the sponsors never nagged Kawamori to re-included the love triangle we might would had seen the actual delta story with more Mikumo development and Walkure.
I swear the love triangle in this series completely irrelevant.
Sorry but I can't agree with that simply because the "love triangle" has been so non-existent that I can hardly fault it for the shows failings. The writing isn't failing because they're trying to cram the triangle in, its failing because there are too many ideas and the plot is moving in far too many directions at once to actually allow for a coherent story.

There are tones of underdeveloped characters (including one of the supposed main female leads) and certain plot points are being dropped like bricks (evil NUNS guy?) which is what's making this go from the brilliance of the first 12 episodes to the "meh" fest we see now.

The over-reliance in exposition in the second half of the show is what's really hurting it, especially when the show seemed hell bent in introducing more and more plot points from episode 12 onwards without properly explaining or wrapping up most of the original ones.

We all know this happened because the second half of the season was meant to be a comparatively short film instead but that doesn't excuse what happened. I would much rather having a few dragged out episodes over what we got. It would be certainly boring in the middle but at least it wouldn't feel like swiss cheese.

Heck, they could even have taken that time to actually make the bloody triangle exist in the first place! Instead we got what? Maybe 3 episodes dedicated to it and all of that ended up with Mirage further away from having a chance than she was before. Not particularly relevant I would say.
Old 2016-09-18, 12:32   Link #1749
HirouKeimou

^
This is so true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Who would believe that the Macross franchise would end because of the probably most popular series it has spawned, which was most focused on the romance aspect and still handled mecha and music excellently? That's incredibly stupid.

Since Delta is such a disappointment overall, I think the "we have to do something different this time" aspect of Kawamoris approach to Macross series coalesced into what we got this time around.
The issue is with if Kawamori has ideas for the franchise's future in general.

I mean, the Vajra had potential in Frontier for becoming an "interesting enemy" if Kawamori leveled up a bit more.

And Delta has so much goddamn inspiration for it that it's hilarious how big a fall from grace could ruin a good idea. The bomb-sized exposition episodes for the second half showcases how overachieving Kawamori and Co. is on this series; wherein it's pulling a Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Fi on us and delivering mountains of information for us and downright stating the obvious on more than one occasion where the series should be focusing on visuals or character interactions.

And given how much inspiration Delta received from Kawamori and Co., who's to say said inspiration will not run dry for the next project?
HirouKeimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 13:25   Link #1750
ippus
Pew Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Guys, I believe you're still confusing the vocal minority with the silent majority. Take a look at Newtype's october issue's favorite anime/characters' pool. Does it really strike you as a show that's irritating its majoritary fanbase? I just think there's an issue of inflated self-importance and entitlement, here. And I'm not sure this is a nice fandom, anymore...

And that sucks, because I made quite a few nice friends, here.

Confirming this:

Newtype Awards prelim results: http://sgcafe.com/2016/09/macross-de...inary-results/
September Issue Rankings: http://sgcafe.com/2016/08/kabaneri-i...eptember-2016/
October Issue Rankings: http://sgcafe.com/2016/09/rezero-fin...-2016-edition/

Characters and series def dropped from the previous month's results but it's still up there
ippus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-18, 18:12   Link #1751
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HirouKeimou View Post
And given how much inspiration Delta received from Kawamori and Co., who's to say said inspiration will not run dry for the next project?
Um, well. The universe building was about the best part of the series, IMO, so I don't see where the inspiration might run dry on that account.

Although I get what the concern is. As stated even in interviews, Kawamori doesn't like to do sequels and he doesn't like to repeat what he has done before. But then, there are only so many things you can do with the mix mecha-music-romance.

The question is if they want to spin the franchise forever or if they have an end goal. There are still some enemies out there who have not been touched upon. The protoculture could return in some kind of way, for example. This series made it look like a real possibility that they had some failsave for themselves to return. This might make for a really epic franchise finale.

But if Kawamori would get off his high horse and use some of the past Macross work more liberally, there could be done so much with what already exists. IMO it is the conceit to never repeat himself that is hampering him at this moment.
Old 2016-09-18, 19:35   Link #1752
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
With the success of Yamato 2199, I'm surprised that this hasn't happened yet (with or without Kawamori involved).
I guess people who are involved in making Macross franchise considered that SDF was already rebooted by DYRL (though lacking in character development in comparison) just like how the first MS Gundam was already "rebooted" by Tomino's MSG trilogy movies. And considering how "weird" all the Macross series/movies/OVAs are connected, each new entry is basically a sequel in a new timeframe.
Old 2016-09-19, 10:28   Link #1753
Convoy
Knight of Infinity

I have heard about how the Megaroad-01 went missing with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay aboard. But what source exactly stated this?
Convoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-19, 10:32   Link #1754
RDNexus

And, to add to Convoy's post, has there been no more news of Megaroad-01?
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-19, 10:35   Link #1755
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convoy View Post
I have heard about how the Megaroad-01 went missing with Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay aboard. But what source exactly stated this?
IIRC some official artbook or databook and probably interview(s) with Kawamori. And yes, I don't think there's more notable news about Megaroad-01 so far. Other more-informed fans may add to this with more details.
Old 2016-09-19, 10:38   Link #1756
RDNexus

It's like Kawamori and company don't want to reveal what the future has given to those who have written the previous chapters of the Macross franchise...
And that, to me, sucks big time.

And... How the heck...
Spoiler:

Last edited by RDNexus; 2016-09-19 at 11:32.
Old 2016-09-19, 11:59   Link #1757
Beqa

Spoiler for Lady M:
Beqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-19, 12:47   Link #1758
magnuskn

I wonder what the message was.

"We need toilet paper... pleeeeease!"

Old 2016-09-19, 13:30   Link #1759
RDNexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beqa View Post
Spoiler for Lady M:
Yes, I've just watched the episode as well. And it's precisely because of that (and the TL Note that appeared at that moment), that I came here to ask about it. It could have been that some kind of intel could have escaped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I wonder what the message was.

"We need toilet paper... pleeeeease!"

Huh? What do you mean?
Old 2016-09-19, 13:33   Link #1760
Beqa

Its more like the TL think/wish that
Beqa is offline   Reply With Quote