AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Old 2016-07-05, 08:46   Link #121
Sizaki

Is it just me that feel like punching the MC's fellow friends in the face when they force their opinions onto him?
Blackmailing him with a debt? Hiding his medal?

And changing the opponent in the tournament from souichi to O'brien, to keep in mind that he's not a otherworlder like them. So if Renji loses, wouldn't that create somewhat of a problem? Like questioning if the heroes are truly that strong? Political problems? And wouldn't it shame renji somewhat, making him the joke in the capital?

Everyone is calling Renji a coward and such when it's none of their business... And the worst one is Utano. Utano acts like everything is justified because logic?

It was ok at first. But they don't stop, and treating him like he owes them a lot. And it doesn't seem to bother him that much -.-
Sizaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-05, 09:18   Link #122
sasuke706

^That's actually what I was going on about earlier in the thread.
His friends are assholes and Renji is an extreme masochist despite the claims of that he isn't.
At one point at a drinking party where Renji tells some of his friends what he's been beating himself up over for the past year, their solution is to be mean to him because that's what he wants.
Because he hasn't been beating himself up for a year or anything already, and that sure fucking helped didn't it?
So why not have EVERYONE be mean to him as well as him being mean to himself. That'll solve everything and totally not fix his mentality on everything being his fault when it actually wasn't.

"Friends." Sheesh. This is why I like the evil route better than the good route whenever I have the choice.
Should've went the true godslayer route and killed the rest of the gods while he was at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambill10 View Post
Which witch? Aya or Utano?
Utano. Archmage =/= Witch.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 00:50   Link #123
ObsidianDemon
First High Student
*Fansubber

I pretty much am done with this novel.
ObsidianDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-06, 01:47   Link #124
evilgenius

hope there are some changes in the LN, i like the story a lot, but the masochism of renji and the sadism/constant nagging of his ''friends'' gets tiring very soon
evilgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 15:52   Link #125
pedrojames

So in the end he is with utano ? What happened with aya ? She ends with the other hero that i forgot the name ? Can you explain better what happened with MC and his friends ?
pedrojames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-10, 20:13   Link #126
Apoptosis
Am I useful yet, guys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrojames View Post
So in the end he is with utano ? What happened with aya ? She ends with the other hero that i forgot the name ? Can you explain better what happened with MC and his friends ?
From what I hear, there wasn't any real romantic conclusion and the ending was left quite open.
Apoptosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-17, 12:57   Link #127
Breimn

Someone shared vol 4 illustrations for those interested. Just check the resurrected "jcafe24" .
Breimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 13:02   Link #128
nero12

I've posted the vol4 illustrations on my blog as well for those who can't be bothered to get the raws. Link to the Page
Old 2016-08-19, 02:40   Link #129
ChuckE
Provoker

Are there differences between LN and WN?
Old 2016-08-19, 11:01   Link #130
Sizaki

I find this novel highly disturbing. The logic is fine. But the common sense of modern earth doesn't seem to remain in their brains for some reason. And add to that, the females in this is made to be right all the time, even when not, they are automatically in the right. (Feministic dream alright!)
Spoiler for About that Yuu guy:
Old 2016-08-19, 11:55   Link #131
ChuckE
Provoker

Well, yeah, there is some "females always right" vibes.

What was Yuu's power again?
Old 2016-08-19, 12:00   Link #132
Sizaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckE View Post
Well, yeah, there is some "females always right" vibes.

What was Yuu's power again?
I don't think they've mentioned it in the translated ones. And yeah, funny thing is that only Solnea strikes me as the least feministic of all the women in this novel, only next to Mururu or whatever her name was. And both of them are quite quiet and doesn't say much when not spoken to... Wow, this thinking of mine sounds somewhat misogynistic, doesn't it? xD
Old 2016-08-19, 15:52   Link #133
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizaki View Post
I find this novel highly disturbing. The logic is fine. But the common sense of modern earth doesn't seem to remain in their brains for some reason. And add to that, the females in this is made to be right all the time, even when not, they are automatically in the right. (Feministic dream alright!)
Spoiler for About that Yuu guy:
Huh I'm interested in this line of thought. Would you care to explain what exactly constitutes as "common sense of modern earth" when there are a multitude of cultures in this world that vastly changes what that phrase means? Would be better if someone who has lived in Japan all their life chimes in as it would be logical for their common sense to be based off of that culture.

I've taken a liking to the story and haven't gotten the whole feminism shtick you are all talking about. What I see is a male protagonist that doesn't bother arguing with his female companions for largely inconsequential things. Whether he wins or he loses, there's nothing tangible to be gained so why bother engaging in a pointless argument? Then there's how they defer to him when things get real so the whole females being "right all the time" doesn't make much sense to me.

As for the spoiler, is it that surprising to be shocked and perhaps dismayed that someone you would consider closer than blood family keep something like that from you? If anything it's pretty damn hypocritical of Renji (seemingly one of his primary traits) since he's doing the same damn thing.
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-19, 16:36   Link #134
Sizaki

^^^
What I mean with "common sense of modern earth", for example, the consequences from their actions. Like when Renji fight was changed from Souchi to O'brien. For the selfish motives from Utano or whatever (There again, Renji submits to the womans selfishness) when that action could have pretty much created a great political scandal with the rumor going around that "The so called strongest hero lost to O'brien". Many complications could've been grown just from that. Where is that so called common sense anywhere near that event?

Though I think that you don't need to be from earth to know such problems with this tournament. But the main problem with this novel is that it's prortrayed as mature, and tragic with the past, but plays out in a shounen style which makes it very naive and immature which makes it strange. And there's tons of plotholes. Like with the tournament. Is it really fair that the heroes even compete in it? Doesn't it just ruin it? And how fair is it that you could win just because the weapon you're holding is better than your opponent's? Shouldn't the tournament holders have a hand in that and have the competitors make use of their weapons instead, who knows if one have poisoned their blade or something... And the heroes power which is never explained into much detail, like the sword who can cut through everything, even fate? What the hell is it with that? Cut through everything is already bullshit, can it cut through eru? Nope. Can it cut through the demon god? Just some scratches...

Then it's Renji who's main problem, which may not have anything to do with common sense. But it's more or less how unlikeable he is as a protagonist.
He gets pushed around by women when it can even mean life-threatening situations where he gets the short end of the stick, just because "They believe him" or "He deserves it"... They act as if he have obligations towards them. Of course, as a shounen type novel, he gets through just fine though with some logic or whatever. And they all behave quite childishly for their status, like Utano, who abuses her authority to have her way with Renji because, why not...? What?

I know that some are quite young and all. But shouldn't they know that this isn't Japan. They can't just play around like that. Like hiding Eru from Renji because... "Insert random excuse". Renji could just have said "Stop this childish bullshit and give Eru back to me." But no. Of course not -.-
Old 2016-08-19, 20:58   Link #135
MonkeyDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizaki View Post
^^^
What I mean with "common sense of modern earth", for example, the consequences from their actions. Like when Renji fight was changed from Souchi to O'brien. For the selfish motives from Utano or whatever (There again, Renji submits to the womans selfishness) when that action could have pretty much created a great political scandal with the rumor going around that "The so called strongest hero lost to O'brien". Many complications could've been grown just from that. Where is that so called common sense anywhere near that event?

Though I think that you don't need to be from earth to know such problems with this tournament. But the main problem with this novel is that it's prortrayed as mature, and tragic with the past, but plays out in a shounen style which makes it very naive and immature which makes it strange. And there's tons of plotholes. Like with the tournament. Is it really fair that the heroes even compete in it? Doesn't it just ruin it? And how fair is it that you could win just because the weapon you're holding is better than your opponent's? Shouldn't the tournament holders have a hand in that and have the competitors make use of their weapons instead, who knows if one have poisoned their blade or something... And the heroes power which is never explained into much detail, like the sword who can cut through everything, even fate? What the hell is it with that? Cut through everything is already bullshit, can it cut through eru? Nope. Can it cut through the demon god? Just some scratches...

Then it's Renji who's main problem, which may not have anything to do with common sense. But it's more or less how unlikeable he is as a protagonist.
He gets pushed around by women when it can even mean life-threatening situations where he gets the short end of the stick, just because "They believe him" or "He deserves it"... They act as if he have obligations towards them. Of course, as a shounen type novel, he gets through just fine though with some logic or whatever. And they all behave quite childishly for their status, like Utano, who abuses her authority to have her way with Renji because, why not...? What?

I know that some are quite young and all. But shouldn't they know that this isn't Japan. They can't just play around like that. Like hiding Eru from Renji because... "Insert random excuse". Renji could just have said "Stop this childish bullshit and give Eru back to me." But no. Of course not -.-
My understanding of the tournament is that it's more or less a show match to display the heroes to the public. It hardly matters if hero 'x' loses so long as a hero wins the tournament. Even if all the heroes were defeated, there's always the excuse that they weren't fighting all that seriously. Because let's face it...do you honestly believe the chosen of the goddess sans Renji will remotely put forth maximum effort against a non-hero to win a silly tournament? Do you believe they'll slander the representatives of the goddess they admire and revere? They're more or less bulletproof in Imnesia and for good reason.

As for the mechanics of the tournament, well how do you expect them to make it non-lethal if not to standardized all armaments by using practice weapons. Hell if anything that makes the tournament as fair as it can be with no participant gaining an advantage besides the characteristics of their chosen weapon. Though the exception is Masaki and her katana...but really no sane non-hero even expects to win against her so it's inconsequential. Just a fact of life that special snowflakes get preferential treatment.

I don't know about you, but I like Renji's portrayal as a character. A broken man seeking death learning how to live again. Doesn't mind inconsequential things and just shrugs it off his shoulders, but a man his comrades know they can rely on when it counts. And of course he has obligations towards them as their self-appointed protector and their de facto leader. He all but abandoned them after the final battle with nary a word so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they are rather cross with him.

I'd probably have issues to raise if I didn't like the MC's portrayal. But then again I'm not projecting myself as to how a "proper" MC should be acting when supposedly getting pushed around by women. Though really how should one act when people are evidently pushing you to do things not out of malice but concern? Concerned that you are a shell of your former self with no real explanation, besides a select few, as to why you're so different? Though I'm of the opinion that it's not as if he gets pushed around, but allows himself to get pushed around except when the chips are down and it's time for him to take charge.

I interpret the story as Renji's recovery from despair and treat it as such. Been fun to see how he's changed over the course of 60+ chapters.
MonkeyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 03:30   Link #136
Sizaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDude View Post
My understanding of the tournament is that it's more or less a show match to display the heroes to the public. It hardly matters if hero 'x' loses so long as a hero wins the tournament. Even if all the heroes were defeated, there's always the excuse that they weren't fighting all that seriously. Because let's face it...do you honestly believe the chosen of the goddess sans Renji will remotely put forth maximum effort against a non-hero to win a silly tournament? Do you believe they'll slander the representatives of the goddess they admire and revere? They're more or less bulletproof in Imnesia and for good reason.

As for the mechanics of the tournament, well how do you expect them to make it non-lethal if not to standardized all armaments by using practice weapons. Hell if anything that makes the tournament as fair as it can be with no participant gaining an advantage besides the characteristics of their chosen weapon. Though the exception is Masaki and her katana...but really no sane non-hero even expects to win against her so it's inconsequential. Just a fact of life that special snowflakes get preferential treatment.

I don't know about you, but I like Renji's portrayal as a character. A broken man seeking death learning how to live again. Doesn't mind inconsequential things and just shrugs it off his shoulders, but a man his comrades know they can rely on when it counts. And of course he has obligations towards them as their self-appointed protector and their de facto leader. He all but abandoned them after the final battle with nary a word so it shouldn't come as a surprise that they are rather cross with him.

I'd probably have issues to raise if I didn't like the MC's portrayal. But then again I'm not projecting myself as to how a "proper" MC should be acting when supposedly getting pushed around by women. Though really how should one act when people are evidently pushing you to do things not out of malice but concern? Concerned that you are a shell of your former self with no real explanation, besides a select few, as to why you're so different? Though I'm of the opinion that it's not as if he gets pushed around, but allows himself to get pushed around except when the chips are down and it's time for him to take charge.

I interpret the story as Renji's recovery from despair and treat it as such. Been fun to see how he's changed over the course of 60+ chapters.
The matter with Renji on how likeable/unlikeable he is, is a matter of opinion. It's that he easily submits to the women in this story that I and others hate. They're always right, every right in the world to do whatever they please it seems. And the tournament part is just putting everyone on the same stage as equals (As the story never delves into the dark side, why not?), for example, swordsmen gets to choose among a couple of iron swords what to use, whatever it's a schimitar, or a normal european long sword, two-handed or a samurai sword. Everyone of them being, let us say AVERAGE quality. Then you would be able to win, simply with the use of skill and experience. Not any bullshit with "Cutting the sword in half as if it was mud" or anything. And secondly, I'm quite sure that the tournament existed long before the heroes even came to be, so it being made for them is quite difficult to believe.

And the matter if Renji lost, would indeed put the populace in a dilemma, because, lets face it. This is the medieval ages, there are bound to be people that dislike them for various reasons. Would they not use this opportunity to spread hostility to the people? To turn them against the heroes? Maybe the majority would still put the heroes in a good light, but even if only 10% of the people turned against them. It would still be bad for the heroes. To not see this as obvious is just naive. But as this is shounen, everybody loves the heroes without doubt of course...

It seems like this story can't decide whenever to be dark or light. It never shows us the dark side of the country, the bad things done under the table and such. Only mentions it briefly as past tense. Where as, the light is shown everyday with how the heroes are loved and not hated. It's not thought out that well and leaves the story bland, and just feels lazy.
Old 2016-08-20, 16:34   Link #137
ChuckE
Provoker

Well, regarding tournament it was kinda refreshing seeing normal battles with heroes without OP skills, destroying arena and etc. (though that sword which was able to cut another was cheating 100%)

Also judging from the spoilers, it seems that the story moves not where I was expecting.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ChuckE; 2016-08-20 at 17:08.
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 02:10   Link #138
Breimn

Vol 5 scans are out. Who is the winged woman ?
Old 2016-10-02, 05:11   Link #139
nero12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breimn View Post
Vol 5 scans are out. Who is the winged woman ?
It's Shelfa (Shelfer now acc to the romanization) The Demon Lord.

Btw the illustrations are here if anyone else wants to see as well.
Old 2016-10-02, 05:18   Link #140
Breimn

Did not expect her to be so sexy. What is her end in WN?

Tags
fantasy