Notices

Old 2016-10-01, 08:27   Link #16221
B214

Spoiler for 504:
B214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 13:20   Link #16222
Sixth
Hu Tao

Do you guys think that Natsu thought Lucy was dead because he doesn't knew that everyone was frozen in time?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 15:22   Link #16223
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^ Well, Natsu is not the smartest guy around...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth View Post
END just proven that having immensely raw power can negate all the hax abilities. This holds true in every manga that raw power is indeed > haxx.

It is shame that Lucy doesn't beat Dimaria on her own. I guess it is really hard to have a proper fight for Lucy at this moment.
Not entirely sure about it, curse power hasn't been thoroughly explained, but I think it has more to do with the fact that END is a demon than the scale of his power. Kyouka, Seyla and Tempester could also suppress their opponents with their curses, albeit in different ways.

As far as power scaling goes, Eileen is the strongest mage we've seen - her power is enough to compare with people who punch holes into different dimensions. From this perspective, Ultear, Dimaria and Brandish follow, in that order.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-01, 23:39   Link #16224
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
^ Well, Natsu is not the smartest guy around...
I mean, Lucy was appeared to be "dead", "lifeless" due to the time stop effect, and Natsu was jumping to conclusion that she was dead at that time since he was the only one who can move in the middle of the time stop spell.

or you are implying that Lucy was simply unconscious and Natsu was straight away thought she was dead?

and, how does Lucy got the bloods on her head?
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-02, 00:12   Link #16225
Azurial

So Natsu and Gray though their waifu is dead and went in rage mode hmmmmmm seems legit. XD
Azurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 02:49   Link #16226
Windsgrace

New chapter is out~

Why do I have a feeling Grey's new power will purify the demon part of Natsu and leave the human part alive? I mean its just a part of him, a lump if you will inside of him. Grey's new power is anti fire demon thus Natsu- demon= revived normal dragon/human. I mean he said he is going to kill Natsu. Human Natsu can kill Zerif and not die because he will no longer a demon. Also since Grey's new power wears the users mind down once it is successful at slaying the demon his curse power will be removed thus "saving" Grey. I just have a feeling it will play out like this. Just a thought.

Anyone else feel like the manga is traveling down this road?
Old 2016-10-03, 08:45   Link #16227
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Gray has absolutely no reason to be trying to kill Natsu right now...this is so stupid and forced.
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 10:18   Link #16228
Ggb81
Exemplary Character

Odd chapter. I think it's clear that the only real spriggan opponents left are Eileen, August (maybe?) and the other Dragneel. Hopefully this thing with Natsu and Gray won't last much longer, or will be at least put on hold since there are OBVIOUSLY MORE PRESSING MATTERS.

Mavis is finally showing a little of her stuff.

And regarding something from a while ago...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Not really. There's little point in maiming characters for the hell of it. Sure, maim 'em, but let it serve a purpose of sorts. Having such actions for pure sadism is just bad, sloppy writing.
I wasn't really thinking when I wrote that. I thought of it as a subtle way to hype things up, since Mashima obviously doesn't want to kill off a character. Maiming a character leaves them able to fight but with more difficulty. Sort of a "shit's getting serious" moment without a death. However, upon reflection, Lucy isn't the character it should happen to since she struggles enough as is. Also, I forgot about Porlyusica and her ability to restore eyes. So... anyway...
Old 2016-10-03, 12:28   Link #16229
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ggb81 View Post
Odd chapter. I think it's clear that the only real spriggan opponents left are Eileen, August (maybe?) and the other Dragneel.
Well, assuming that Neinhart's down for the count, taking his historia with him, and Dimaria and Brandish are down and neutral respectively, the Spriggan are down to:

August
Ajeel
Irene
Jacob
Larcade

still active.

Ajeel last seen fighting Elfman and Lisanna, and Jacob last seen fighting Mirajane. Sure I doubt we'll see too much out of Ajeel or Jacob seeing as they've already had fights, but they are technically still up.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 13:37   Link #16230
Saravis4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
Gray has absolutely no reason to be trying to kill Natsu right now...this is so stupid and forced.
Agreed, this conflict would have made far more sense if Natsu had somehow accidentally hurt someone from Fairy Tail, which Gray would see and misunderstand it as Natsu giving into his demon nature and intentionally trying to hurt Fairy Tail.

Instead, we have Natsu explicitly saying he is going to kill the guy who is responsible for the war and Gray trying to kill him because "reasons". That's like if in World War 2 a group of Germans informed the US of a plan to assassinate Hitler and the US response was to kill that group of Germans because "reasons". In fact its even dumber than that because in Gray's case, Natsu has been a close friend for years.
Old 2016-10-03, 14:20   Link #16231
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

You guys aren't particularly knowledgable on the target audience's culture, are you.

Even ignoring that every major tragedy in Gray's life can be tied back to the Demons of the Book, Japanese culture places some pretty high importance on both filial piety and avenging and honoring ones' elders.

Gray wants to eliminate the Demons of the Book of Zeref due to all the hell they've caused him. He has lost his hometown, his family, his mentor, and his father all over again to said demons. Then he lost yet another person he cared for to Zeref's people. He also swore to kill E.N.D. to his father. He's got plenty of motivations for wanting to kill E.N.D.... and that's not including the fact that E.N.D. just so happens to be someone who he never really liked in the first place. Now consider that he's aware that one of the Demons has been within the guild this entire time. He doesn't know that Natsu was unaware of his own status an an Etherias. For all he knows, Natsu has been a traitor the entire time, or something to that effect.

He's blinded by rage and grief. Whereas Natsu's only fighting him because he's getting in the way of his impulse to destroy Zeref.

So yeah, they've got plenty of reasons to be fighting.
Old 2016-10-03, 14:25   Link #16232
Kafriel
Senior Guest

It is quite different when Natsu and Gray are part of FT, which prioritizes family above all. They really shouldn't be fighting...and I doubt it will get too serious.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 14:27   Link #16233
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Like I said, he's blinded by rage and grief. He's not in his right state of mind, and Natsu's one-track mental state isn't helping it, because it's also being fueled by rage and grief, on top of the slaughter impulse that comes from being a Demon of the Book.
Old 2016-10-03, 15:02   Link #16234
Krono

I think the more important thing is that the whole reason that Invel had Gray and Juvia fight is that Gray killing his friend was supposed to push him over the edge into being consumed by his darkness, with the intention that Gray could then be used against END. It didn't quite go like Invel planned, but he basically succeeded. Gray thinks Juvia is dead. She didn't die at his hand, but she was far more important to Gray than Invel realized, so it balances out. So with Gray's sanity kind of eroding at the moment, Invel told him just enough about Natsu being END to cause Gray to seek out Natsu, and when Gray basically got confirmation that Natsu was END, he basically lost it. He flat out isn't thinking rationally at the moment because the side effects of his devil slayer magic are eroding his mind.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 15:55   Link #16235
Casshern

Grey's demon slayer magic and hatred are consuming him. Just a few chapters ago Invel described what is literally happening right now. There's nothing ambiguous about it.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 16:33   Link #16236
Slayerx

Quote:
Like I said, he's blinded by rage and grief. He's not in his right state of mind, and Natsu's one-track mental state isn't helping it, because it's also being fueled by rage and grief, on top of the slaughter impulse that comes from being a Demon of the Book.
Even his blind rage doesn't make sense. Right now his rage is revolving around avenging Juvia. Who is at fault for "Killing" Juvia? Zeref. And who made all of the demans anyway? Zeref. And heck who is E.N.D trying to kill? Zeref. Gray's #1 target right now should be Zeref, not E.N.D... instead he seems hellbent on going after a secondary target who also happens to be his friend. Its like instead going for the main boss, the true source of all his misery, he's focused instead on the midboss. Not to mention he just easily believed information that was given to him by an enemy... you would think he would suspect the enemy of lying to him.

Really it just feels like Mashima kind of forgot Grey's motivation. The whole reason he was originally gonna go after END in the first place was because he was Zaref's ultimate weapon. He did not know that Zeref was trying to kill himself and that was END's purpose. Mashima just wanted Natsu and Grey to fight and the reasons for it just kind of got meddled in the middle.
Old 2016-10-03, 16:46   Link #16237
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Did you ignore what I already said? Juvia is just the tipping point. Gray's problem is that he keeps losing people he cares for to Zeref and his ilk. Not just Zeref. He lost his town and his family to Deliora. Then he lost Ultear to Deliora, and nearly lost Lyon to a dead Deliora. Then he finds out his father is resurrected by Keyes, another Demon of the Book, and he has to fight and kill his own father... and his father's death is because Juvia was forced to kill Keyes. So he loses his father all over again to a Demon.

And then someone else who worships the ground Zeref walks on goes and gets Juvia killed. He snaps; he's had it with Demons and Zeref. Natsu being yet another Demon is just going to piss him off further. Remember that Gray also swore to destroy E.N.D. for his father, whom gave him the Devil Slayer magic in order to do so, so it's both filial piety and avenging an elder or three combined into a single event. This has been foreshadowed since Tartaros. It didn't come out of nowhere. You cannot look at this as an isolated incident. This is a build-up and tipping point a long time coming.
Old 2016-10-03, 19:37   Link #16238
Slayerx

Quote:
Did you ignore what I already said? Juvia is just the tipping point. Gray's problem is that he keeps losing people he cares for to Zeref and his ilk. Not just Zeref. He lost his town and his family to Deliora. Then he lost Ultear to Deliora, and nearly lost Lyon to a dead Deliora. Then he finds out his father is resurrected by Keyes, another Demon of the Book, and he has to fight and kill his own father... and his father's death is because Juvia was forced to kill Keyes. So he loses his father all over again to a Demon.

And then someone else who worships the ground Zeref walks on goes and gets Juvia killed. He snaps; he's had it with Demons and Zeref. Natsu being yet another Demon is just going to piss him off further.
Yes, and remember who's at the TOP of all those demons? Zeref. The one who SHOULD be the focal point of all of his rage is the king and yet he's focused on the exiled prince who happens to be his friend. His rage induced priorities should be sending him towards Zeref, not Natsu. He can kill Natsu later

And again, Gray got this information about Natsu from an enemy, a man who would benefit from grey fighting Natsu. Even in Gray's rage he should not believe everything an enemy tells him; heck his rage should make him even LESS inclined to listen.

Quote:
Remember that Gray also swore to destroy E.N.D. for his father, whom gave him the Devil Slayer magic in order to do so, so it's both filial piety and avenging an elder or three combined into a single event.
Yes, but he only made that promise because he was under the impression that END was Zeref's ultimate weapon; he did not know that END was actually the key to zeref's destruction. That changes the context a lot. Grey's revenge could actually be fullfilled by just allowing END to do what it was built to do.

Quote:
This has been foreshadowed since Tartaros. It didn't come out of nowhere. You cannot look at this as an isolated incident. This is a build-up and tipping point a long time coming.
It doesn't matter if it was foreshadowed; the execution is a complete mess. Information has changed, the motivations for the characters are just all wrong, they have misplaced their priorities even from their rage filled perspective.
Old 2016-10-03, 19:52   Link #16239
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Yes, and remember who's at the TOP of all those demons? Zeref. The one who SHOULD be the focal point of all of his rage is the king and yet he's focused on the exiled prince who happens to be his friend. His rage induced priorities should be sending him towards Zeref, not Natsu. He can kill Natsu later
Zeref's demons did more to Gray than Zeref personally did. Make no mistake, he hates Zeref, but there's nothing weird about his hatred being more focused on the demons, given what happened with his father.

Quote:
And again, Gray got this information about Natsu from an enemy, a man who would benefit from grey fighting Natsu. Even in Gray's rage he should not believe everything an enemy tells him; heck his rage should make him even LESS inclined to listen.
?

Rage and rational thinking don't mix well.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-03, 19:52   Link #16240
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... you are aware that being rage-filled tends to disqualify you from logic and rationality, right? Especially when it's also accompanied by evil magic eating away at your mind and soul.

This has been a long time coming, and it makes perfect sense in the circumstances. It might seem stupid to us but we're on the outside, able to see all sides, and all sides objectively. They don't get that luxury, and you have to see how things are from their POV. Your not liking the outcome doesn't disqualify that how it came about still works from the presented narrative.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen