Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-12-04, 07:32   Link #721
TheForsaken
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I'm just wondering how on earth Snow White would even fight.
Just hide, then she will win in the end with candies
Old 2016-12-04, 07:38   Link #722
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Her power is reading people's mind. Then if they are thinking of danger or trying to hide it Snow White will pick up on it and use it to her advantage.
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-04, 08:21   Link #723
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Her power is reading people's mind. Then if they are thinking of danger or trying to hide it Snow White will pick up on it and use it to her advantage.
Using the darkness and shadows to strike fear in the hearts of your enemies?...Hell it worked for Batman...

You since this novel series has a butch of volumes that have been touched by translators yet (Anime is only covering volume 1) this could just be Snow White's origin story in a much larger story. I'd be shocked if stared recruiting her team of magical girl avengers to take on all the evil magical girls that pop crop up.

*Season 1 after credits*

Random Magical Girl: Who are you?

Snow White: I'm here to talk you about the magical girl raising project...
Old 2016-12-04, 08:50   Link #724
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

I doubt after this she will be wishing for partners ever again.
Old 2016-12-04, 10:25   Link #725
Bein Nine
MAI... STAR... BLAZERS!!!

Quote:
Sure. I mean look at how well that worked on Minael who flew up to SW with a smile on her face and a hatchet to SW's skull. OK, bad example. How about Calamity Mary, who was engaged in a running battle with both Top Speed and Ripple and SW didn't 'hear' any of that (indeed, the only thing she heard was TS musing about the curry). I'll let Weiss Winterprison's death slide due to possible distance (but if Alice's musings about suicide for losing a key drew SW to her, Nana's mental breakdown should've been a fire alarm in SW's head), but what about La Puciele, who was both closer both physically (as in a few blocks from SW's house) and emotionally than Hardgore Alice, and yet Koiyuki was able to sleep soundly while Cranberry was beating the crap out of La-P (and La-P's last thought was keeping Cranberry away from SW too...).

I'm sorry. I just cant buy into the idea that SW's 'detect stress' power is gonna enable her to survive any direct attack from the remaining active antagonists (Swim-chan & Cranberry). In fact, I don't even think it'll let her survive an attack by Fav (if Fav could attack, that is...)
Bein Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-04, 10:39   Link #726
Dark Wing

It could work she just has to make them afraid.
Old 2016-12-04, 13:01   Link #727
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bein Nine View Post
Sure. I mean look at how well that worked on Minael who flew up to SW with a smile on her face and a hatchet to SW's skull. OK, bad example. How about Calamity Mary, who was engaged in a running battle with both Top Speed and Ripple and SW didn't 'hear' any of that (indeed, the only thing she heard was TS musing about the curry). I'll let Weiss Winterprison's death slide due to possible distance (but if Alice's musings about suicide for losing a key drew SW to her, Nana's mental breakdown should've been a fire alarm in SW's head), but what about La Puciele, who was both closer both physically (as in a few blocks from SW's house) and emotionally than Hardgore Alice, and yet Koiyuki was able to sleep soundly while Cranberry was beating the crap out of La-P (and La-P's last thought was keeping Cranberry away from SW too...).

I'm sorry. I just cant buy into the idea that SW's 'detect stress' power is gonna enable her to survive any direct attack from the remaining active antagonists (Swim-chan & Cranberry). In fact, I don't even think it'll let her survive an attack by Fav (if Fav could attack, that is...)
It worked against Tama tough, she hear her worries and pin pointed her location. And that was why Swim Swim chose to fight someone else who might fall for her sneak attacks.
Old 2016-12-04, 14:14   Link #728
rladls2121

But imagine Snow White using deadly moves?
Like what Hardgore Alice and Cranberry did with their bare hands?
Indeed Snow White's magic itself looks like it is getting stronger.
Now I'm getting more curious how offensive Snow White's attacks are going to be.
Even by now she does not want Magical Girls fighting and killing each other.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-04, 14:18   Link #729
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

The Nanoha way.
Old 2016-12-04, 16:29   Link #730
Bein Nine

Quote:
It worked against Tama tough, she hear her worries and pin pointed her location. And that was why Swim Swim chose to fight someone else who might fall for her sneak attacks.
It worked against Tama, the insecure, easily bluffed member of Team Swim who, when she heard explosions in the distance, thought that Team Swim needed to go and help people who might be in danger instead of just using the opportunity to ambush her fellow magical girls.

It didn't work on Minael, who used to dance with glee when she & Yunael had a hand in killing someone (and now that Yunael's gone, she wants everyone else to suffer for her loss), and it wouldn't work on Swim-Swim, who's so emotionless that I'd argue that the only time she feels stressed is when she's comparing herself to Ruler. If Swim-Swim believes that Snow White has a danger sense and can see them coming, good for SW, but that's not going to make her any more of a threat if and when Swim-Swim comes around for her.
Old 2016-12-04, 17:45   Link #731
rladls2121

I wonder if this is a coincidence.
But most of the time Snow White read minds who sounded like they are troubled.
Like Topspeed said about buying curry before she died, but what those words meant to her was in a situation where she was helpless.

It is as if Snow White cannot read minds with that has ill intentions or maybe that are carefree.
Minael was it, Snow White fail to read her ill intended mind to kill someone and read through what was behind Minael's smile.
Tama actually hesitated whether she help people that are injured or not, so that counts as a confliction.
Just my guess.

Last edited by rladls2121; 2016-12-04 at 18:04.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-04, 22:31   Link #732
Bein Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
But imagine Snow White using deadly moves?
That's the trouble: I can't!

Koyuki's personality has been so thoroughly defined as 'non-aggressive' over the course of this cour that I simply cannot see her being effective as a combatant. Worse, she's been so lacking in agency that she requires other people to carry her: first La Pucielle, then Hardgore Alice, and I'm sure that Ripple's gonna have to bodily haul her butt around like a bag of dog food before this cour is over.

Okay. Maybe not literally, but I think that Ripple's gonna have to beat up any remaining bad gals by herself while Snow White's curled up into a ball in the corner.
Old 2016-12-04, 22:50   Link #733
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
That's the trouble: I can't!

Koyuki's personality has been so thoroughly defined as 'non-aggressive' over the course of this cour that I simply cannot see her being effective as a combatant. Worse, she's been so lacking in agency that she requires other people to carry her: first La Pucielle, then Hardgore Alice, and I'm sure that Ripple's gonna have to bodily haul her butt around like a bag of dog food before this cour is over.

Okay. Maybe not literally, but I think that Ripple's gonna have to beat up any remaining bad gals by herself while Snow White's curled up into a ball in the corner.
You could be right if it ends at 4, or if it ends at 4 down to 2, but my suspicion is that this death game will go all the way down to a single survivor.

If so, Snow White will have to personally fight, at least in some sense, in order to be that sole survivor. Well, unless the final two are Snow White and Ripple, and Ripple actually chooses to sacrifice herself for Snow White's sake, but I find that very hard to imagine. Theoretically the final two could be Snow White and Tama, and meek traumatized Tama just curls up in a ball somewhere while Snow White wins via candies, but this would be a shocking and extremely anti-climatic ending, so I doubt it.

The Snow White/Alice narrative probably doesn't play out the way it does unless Snow White is supposed to grow from this. That's not to say she'll turn into some great fighter out of nowhere, but it could mean she gains a willingness to fight at least. Snow White could come to the conclusion that if dangerous killers are out there, it doesn't matter if those killers are calling themselves "magical girls", they still need to be dealt with, in order to protect future La Pucelles and Alices.

Even Superman has occasionally been forced into a corner where he had to kill murderous villains in order to protect innocent people. He certainly didn't like it, but he did it for that reason. Snow White might end up the same way.

Or, conversely, maybe Snow White finds a way to survive without having to directly kill anybody. Though even if she does, that could be considered killing by indirect means. Let's say she somehow manages to avoid Cranberry/Swim Swim long enough in order to win via higher candies count.
Old 2016-12-04, 23:11   Link #734
Bein Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
I wonder if this is a coincidence.
But most of the time Snow White read minds who sounded like they are troubled.
Like Topspeed said about buying curry before she died, but what those words meant to her was in a situation where she was helpless.

It is as if Snow White cannot read minds with that has ill intentions or maybe that are carefree.
Minael was it, Snow White fail to read her ill intended mind to kill someone and read through what was behind Minael's smile.
Tama actually hesitated whether she help people that are injured or not, so that counts as a confliction.
Just my guess.
It feels more like the Mangaka recognized that Snow White, being the POV-character, should survive to the end, but, three-quarters of the way through his story, realized that he'd made her an even bigger Load than Sister Nana, who he was killing off due to them being so similar personality-wise.

So he's expanding Snow White's powers a little in the hopes of deflecting criticism if/when SW gets into a fight.
Old 2016-12-05, 00:38   Link #735
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
It feels more like the Mangaka recognized that Snow White, being the POV-character, should survive to the end, but, three-quarters of the way through his story, realized that he'd made her an even bigger Load than Sister Nana, who he was killing off due to them being so similar personality-wise.

So he's expanding Snow White's powers a little in the hopes of deflecting criticism if/when SW gets into a fight.
The source material is the Light Novel. The manga is actually less canonical than the anime thus far.
Old 2016-12-05, 00:44   Link #736
Bein Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You could be right if it ends at 4, or if it ends at 4 down to 2, but my suspicion is that this death game will go all the way down to a single survivor.

If so, Snow White will have to personally fight, at least in some sense, in order to be that sole survivor. Well, unless the final two are Snow White and Ripple, and Ripple actually chooses to sacrifice herself for Snow White's sake, but I find that very hard to imagine. Theoretically the final two could be Snow White and Tama, and meek traumatized Tama just curls up in a ball somewhere while Snow White wins via candies, but this would be a shocking and extremely anti-climatic ending, so I doubt it.
OOOhhh!!! An episode where the final fight is between Snow White & Tama. The two combatants are curled up into little balls in their respective corners sobbing and sniffling. Neither of them move except to peek out at the other, and since they do it at the same time, they each think that the other is glaring at them and avert their gaze. After 30-minutes, The Winner is the one who decides this is stupid, gets up and walks off to get a sandwich. The Loser has a stroke and dies in that little ball...

I WOULD WATCH THIS!!!

Alright production team, make it happen!

Quote:
The Snow White/Alice narrative probably doesn't play out the way it does unless Snow White is supposed to grow from this. That's not to say she'll turn into some great fighter out of nowhere, but it could mean she gains a willingness to fight at least. Snow White could come to the conclusion that if dangerous killers are out there, it doesn't matter if those killers are calling themselves "magical girls", they still need to be dealt with, in order to protect future La Pucelles and Alices.
I like that last sentence. I really do. I just don't believe that Snow White, as presented to us so far, is capable of coming to that conclusion. And I certainly don't believe that she has the strength of character to follow it through.

Case in point. In ep. 9, Hardgore Alice has just saved SW from Minael's dastardly attack, and is chasing the Peaky Angel with the intention of knocking her into the 'cheap seats'. Meanwhile, SW is overhearing Tama's thoughts. Hears that Swim-Chan ordered Tama to attack her. Hears that Tama would rather help people than try to cheap shot a rival. Hears Tama's fears and her doubts.

Spoiler for A what-if scenario that could've happend in episode 9:

instead of doing all that, Snow White just stares at her. completely dumbfounded, wondering what she should do.

Quote:
Or, conversely, maybe Snow White finds a way to survive without having to directly kill anybody. Though even if she does, that could be considered killing by indirect means. Let's say she somehow manages to avoid Cranberry/Swim Swim long enough in order to win via higher candies count.
Wouldn't work. Swim-Swim would come after her anyway - if only to steal her candies - and she wouldn't stop at half this time. and Cranberry is likely exempt from the whole candy-collecting thing.
Old 2016-12-05, 01:07   Link #737
Bein Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRealist View Post
The source material is the Light Novel. The manga is actually less canonical than the anime thus far.
Sorry. I'd forgotten which came first, and not having ever had the opportunity to read a LN, I tend to assume the Manga came first.

Point is though, that the writer might've realized 3/4ths of the way in that Snow White would've been called the Load if she didn't have to go thru at least one fight and would've been called the Creator's pet if she got through the fight without an ability to let her take care of herself, so her stress-sense starts to become a danger-sense to head off those accusations.l
Old 2016-12-05, 01:21   Link #738
Dark Wing

Honestly we don't know what people are really capable off until the pushed to their limits. I can totally believe Snow White finally snapping after losing Alice. So yea I'm throwing my prediction out there and betting on Snow White.

Also Bein Nine am I detecting a bit of animosity at Snow White being the focus character. I'm sure in your version of the story you'd love to have everyone busting heads but there is nothing wrong with having an wide-eyed idealist being broken and has to discover the courage to keep going.
Old 2016-12-05, 02:16   Link #739
Crazy Frog
Dead People

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
Using the darkness and shadows to strike fear in the hearts of your enemies?...Hell it worked for Batman...

You since this novel series has a butch of volumes that have been touched by translators yet (Anime is only covering volume 1) this could just be Snow White's origin story in a much larger story. I'd be shocked if stared recruiting her team of magical girl avengers to take on all the evil magical girls that pop crop up.

*Season 1 after credits*

Random Magical Girl: Who are you?

Snow White: I'm here to talk you about the magical girl raising project...
The after credit you make don't have an impact
Spoiler:

or
Spoiler:

Last edited by Crazy Frog; 2016-12-05 at 02:36.
Crazy Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-05, 02:53   Link #740
NinjaRealist
Battoru!

Quote:
Sorry. I'd forgotten which came first, and not having ever had the opportunity to read a LN, I tend to assume the Manga came first.
I understand. I just wanted to point that out in case people were interested in the source material.

Tags
battle royale, magical girl, mahou shoujo, tragedy