AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-06-23, 13:10   Link #1
hikaru_masha
I want chocolate!

GHz

ok im debating between 2 computers about which to buy. They are both the new macbook pro 15.4 inch.

One has 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo and the other has 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo.

frist off...what does that mean? what does it do? is that just the speed of the overall computer?

now, what exactly is the difference between the 2? is it such a significant differece that i need to pay an extra $600 for the extra .16?

also one has 512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM and the other has 1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

what does this mean? how important is the extra RAM?

I would like to know what are the most important things because memory and ram, i can add those onto the lower model when i order it. Thanks

Resource for this info: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...clm=MacBookPro
hikaru_masha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 13:52   Link #2
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
GHz of a computer is the messurement of The clock speed. Clock speed basically is the frequency of how fast the transistors switch. The faster they switch the better the performance will be.

Though the clock speed between the two is very slight. You might only notice the difference if you were using a high end program like Photoshop, a CG program, or anything that needs to render alot of shapes quickly.

Though the Core Duo is a brand new processor that intel just came out with. Which is an awesome piece of work.

The RAM is pretty important for Multitasking. For example I have this older laptop with a good clock rate 2 GHz. However I tend to have alot of programs open and it gets bared by the fact I only have 256MB (Using Windows XP). So I tend to run out've memory pretty quickly. So what the computer does is it saves some of that program data to the Harddrive, which makes the programs act much slower. 1 GB is a godly amount of ram for a notbook and I recommend getting as much ram as possible.

Now the other differences I am noticing between the models is one has a slightly bigger harddrive of 20 GB more. And the Video Card 256MB RAM for the higher end verison vs the 128MB does make a difference on video applications.

However You should ask yourself this... Does the slight increase in Clock rate, Extra ram on the system and the Video card, and the misely 20GB increase of harddrive space warrent 600 freaking dollars? Macs are so over priced... Even the 2200 dollars for the lower end model is rediculus...

Worth it? I dont think so... Personaly what I would do is this find another company that sells a nicer Laptop for less and just pick up the Tiger OS x86 verison. Then format the computer that you bought and just install the new Apple OS on that.

United Leecher Front.

Save your Love ones from Disease.
Folding@Home Team Animesuki
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 13:58   Link #3
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikaru_masha
ok im debating between 2 computers about which to buy. They are both the new macbook pro 15.4 inch.

frist off...what does that mean? what does it do? is that just the speed of the overall computer?
That means the processor runs at 2 billion calculations per second and the duo means there are two cores. The other one runs at 2.16 billion.

Quote:
now, what exactly is the difference between the 2? is it such a significant differece that i need to pay an extra $600 for the extra .16?
You are not paying $600 for just this. These computers have a) different ram sizes ($120), b) different hd dizes ($120), c) different graphics cards too.

Quote:
also one has 512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM and the other has 1GB (single SO-DIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM

One has 512mb on a single stick of memory that is of type DDR2 SDRAM with a clock speed of 667Mhz. The other has 1 GB on a single stick of the same type. Extra RAM is always good but you could make do with 512 in theory.
Quote:
I would like to know what are the most important things because memory and ram, i can add those onto the lower model when i order it. Thanks
Depends what you are going to use it for. If you don't need to do anything beside email/web/word process, the low one is fine.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-23, 14:04   Link #4
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

Resource for this info: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...clm=MacBookPro
Other people answered your questions while I was typing this, so I'll limit my comments to trying to help you decide. Looking at that link, you're getting more than just a slightly faster processor and twice the ram. You also get a bigger hd, and twice the video ram. As much as I hate apple, I have to admit, they make a nice laptop.

As for which one you should get, that depends on two things, what do you intend to do with it, and how important is price. If the price is no object I'd say get the more expensive one. It's probably worth it for the graphics card, as just adding the same ram and hd brings it to only 240 less. If the price is a concern, take a good look at what you intend to do with it. If you're going to do any heavy graphics work or gaming, I'd lean towards the more expensive one, though the other should be fine as well. If you're just getting it to surf the web, and maybe play some fansubs, you might want to consider skipping the pro series and just getting a regular macbook.

Oh and this is in canadian dollars, right?
Old 2006-06-23, 14:15   Link #5
hikaru_masha
I want chocolate!

well i need it for school and work once im out of school. i am in graphic design so i frequently use programs that take up alot of memory. mostly adobe programs.

the memory and ram are available for upgrade on the lower one, so that is not an issue.

i know that the $600 price difference is for all of those things, which leaves $200-250 for the extra .16GHz. is it worth that money?

also how well could i get along with the 128MB video card for graphics(not video)? i imagine it wouldnt make much difference.

oh! also, for the upgrade of the lower model...

1GB 667 DDR2 - 2x512 SO-DIMMs [Add $120]
1GB 667 DDR2 - 1 SO-DIMM [Add $240]
2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs [Add $600]

why is the 2x512 and the 1GB so different in price? does it make much difference in performance?

Thanks for all of your help. you've really helped me out alot already!
Old 2006-06-23, 14:17   Link #6
hikaru_masha
I want chocolate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Oh and this is in canadian dollars, right?
Yes it is!
Old 2006-06-23, 14:20   Link #7
Kurz

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115226
In my opinion a better laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832110001
Plus this (I think is the x86 verison... I could be wrong)

Is a better deal.

United Leecher Front.

Old 2006-06-23, 14:30   Link #8
hikaru_masha
I want chocolate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115226
In my opinion a better laptop

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832110001
Plus this (I think is the x86 verison... I could be wrong)

Is a better deal.
are those prices american or canadan?
Old 2006-06-23, 14:34   Link #9
Kurz

American Dollars.

United Leecher Front.

Old 2006-06-23, 14:57   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
well i need it for school and work once im out of school. i am in graphic design so i frequently use programs that take up alot of memory. mostly adobe programs.

the memory and ram are available for upgrade on the lower one, so that is not an issue.

i know that the $600 price difference is for all of those things, which leaves $200-250 for the extra .16GHz. is it worth that money?

also how well could i get along with the 128MB video card for graphics(not video)? i imagine it wouldnt make much difference.

oh! also, for the upgrade of the lower model...

1GB 667 DDR2 - 2x512 SO-DIMMs [Add $120]
1GB 667 DDR2 - 1 SO-DIMM [Add $240]
2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs [Add $600]

why is the 2x512 and the 1GB so different in price? does it make much difference in performance?

Thanks for all of your help. you've really helped me out alot already!
The cheaper model should be fine with a ram upgrade. Photoshop for macs seems to require 320 mb of ram, with 382 recommended. Though I don't think adobe has released a native x86 mac version yet. I'd imagine one isn't far off though.

As for the difference in price for 2x512 and a single 1 gig, there really shouldn't be that much of a difference in cost. It's probably a premium they charge for having a free slot for a future ram upgrade. For a ram upgrade, you might want to consider this or this. For 190 or so canadian(plus shipping), you can get two of those, swap out the 512 ram that comes with the macbook, and have 2 gigs of ram for less than the cost of the single 1 gig upgrade. Plus you could then sell the 512 on ebay or something.
Old 2006-06-23, 16:53   Link #11
Kurz

I take that back... After reading more throughly on the subject the fact comes from this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple those sly dogs..

Apple has confirmed that their Intel based Macs should be able to run Windows, but you will not be able to run the x86 version of OS X on any hardware platform that you choose. Obviously with the switch to Intel's architecture, it is going to be much more difficult for Apple to prevent users from circumventing any protection that they may have implemented to run the x86 OS on their own hardware. Even if Apple's protection is cracked, you can expect driver support to be extremely limited for configurations outside of what Apple will be shipping.
I assumed that the x86 support was wide spread... However it seems that the OS has some built in functions to keep you from installing on any PC you like.

United Leecher Front.