AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2016-12-29, 00:38   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 851 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Surprise! A super-early spoiler is here before the year's end (and it's a big one, too)! Credit goes to AP's Sandman for the info:

-Chapter title is "Moist cigarette". Splash page is the color spread shown at Jump Festa.

-According to Pudding, all six of the Vinsmokes will be gunned down at the wedding! She further taunts Reiju by telling her to be careful when she gets killed so her blood doesn't stain the wedding venue! She then shows off her gun, called "Candy Jacket", to Reiju. Pudding shot the Vinsmoke girl with this very weapon earlier, causing her injuries. It's further explained that this firearm is powerful enough to pierce armor, which was how she was able to hurt Reiju, despite the latter having a body as tough as iron (due to Germa technology, remember).

-Pudding then continues to ridicule Sanji, saying she's looking forward to his shocked face when she points her gun at him. While mocking him, Pudding apparently makes a bunch of goofy faces, too. Outside of the room, Sanji tries to light a cigarette, but the rain makes that a difficult task. He soon sheds tears as he's now been made aware of his fiance's true nature....

-We then shift focus to Brooke vs. Big Mom. Our bony friend is stuck in a tough situation, but he still manages to stand back up despite the beatings he received from the empress. She asks him why he seems to care more about copying the Poneglyph than rescuing Sanji, to which Brooke replies that it's a matter which should be settled between the captain and the cook, only. And even if Sanji truly decides to never return, Brooke wants to secure the Road Poneglyph tn ease Sanji's guilt, as his friends would have still been able to secure a great treasure without any sacrifices! Big Mom asks him to consider the possibility of any of them dying, but the Soul King remains defiant, asking her who would consider dying at this time....!!!

-In the mirror world, Chopper gets Brulee to tell them how to find the right mirror to travel through. They simply need to talk to the mirrors themselves! Thus, when Chopper and Carrot request for a mirror to find Sanji's face, a mirror with the man's reflection soon answers them! Speaking of Sanji, he's still standing outside of Pudding's room, and leaves the lunchbox and flowers he had for her on the ground. Inside the room, Pudding uses her DF ability on Reiju. As it turns out, Pudding has the powers of the Memo Memo no Mi, an ability that manipulates memories! She erases Reiju's memories of meeting her, and changes the story of her gunshot wounds to one of being hit by a soldier's stray bullet. As the eldest Vinsmoke child loses consciousness, Sanji is already gone from the terrace...

-Back to Luffy and Nami, the former is still trying to free himself at the cost of his arm. Charlotte Opera prepares to interrogate them about Lola's whereabouts, but when Nami refuses to rat out her friend, he threatens to torture them. As the situation is about to get more heated, a stranger arrives. asking if anyone's around. When Opera tells the newcomer that visitors aren't allowed at this time, he's met with a 5000-gawara Seiken! Yes, the one who just knocked out Opera was none other than JINBEI! He heard that Luffy was captured, and offers to help them bust out of prison....!!!!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 03:34   Link #2
Gilly

That Jinbe's last page dynamic entry reeks of Bleach, but whatever. At least Luffy can stop ripping his own hands off now.

Pudding having memory control powers is an interesting reveal. I'm calling it now, she will erase Sanji's memories of her in a moment of genuine kindness.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 03:40   Link #3
Diluc
Darkhero of Monstadt

Spoiler for Pudding x Sanji confirmed sunk down:

Great chapter, now Jimbei is back to aid SH.
Diluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 05:48   Link #4
marvelB

Checked out the Korean scans. Damn, that spread with Brooke facing Big Mom is freaking badass. Interestingly, she also has Prometheus (sun) and Zeus (cloud) at her side. I wonder if Brooke can at least do something about those two homies with his soul power....

Also, Pudding's ability lets her remove memories.... which are in the form of film strips. Gotta say, her power instantly reminded me of the stand Whitesnake from Jojo part 6 (which also manipulated memories.... though in the form of discs, not film). Also, I gotta admit those goofy faces she made were pretty hilarious (she even made a pseudo Eneru-face!) Wonder what kind of expression she'll make once her evil plan is thwarted....?
Old 2016-12-29, 12:01   Link #5
danielevo

I agree with you, brook really show his baddass in front of big mom, eventhough we know that he dont stand a chance agains her..

By the way i still have hope that pudding is just acting bad.. Because that way will be more interesting..
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 12:54   Link #6
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Wow, this chapter was dark. But it was awesome at the same time. I loved Brook calling Big Mom "Young Lady", that was a great touch. It almost sounds like he has some kind of plan to get out of that situation. Also Jinbe's entry was epic as hell. "Justice Fist" is a super cheesy name for an ability but it fits him. I hope Jinbe has some kind of inkling though at least as to what's going on with Pudding and the plan to massacre the Vinsmokes. Because, honestly, I don't trust Sanji alone to do something about it. He's a very emotional man ... Oh, and Pudding's abilities are super dangerous. A bit reminiscent of Sugar's power, but not only can she erase memories, she can also forge them. I wouldn't be surprised if some of Big Mom's alliances were forged using Pudding's ability. It's probably not that useful in battle, but you can rule the world with it if you use it right.
Old 2016-12-29, 13:54   Link #7
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Damn, that spread with Brooke facing Big Mom is freaking badass.
Yes! That was the coolest looking panel I've seen in quite some time and that's saying a lot since I've enjoyed WCI so far.

The interesting thing about Pudding's power reveal to me is that it doesn't seem to be connected to her third eye. Is her eye just a red herring in terms of a possible power? That would be kinda funny.

I'm glad the chapter ended on a high note since it was 90% dark and depressing. I liked it a lot though. I can't wait to see how Sanji handles all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
Oh, and Pudding's abilities are super dangerous. A bit reminiscent of Sugar's power, but not only can she erase memories, she can also forge them. I wouldn't be surprised if some of Big Mom's alliances were forged using Pudding's ability. It's probably not that useful in battle, but you can rule the world with it if you use it right.
That's a good call, but it's interesting how BM didn't care to use it on the Vinsmokes. I get that she doesn't need them, but it couldn't hurt to have a few extra fighters on her side if their memories tell them to fight for her. I guess it just shows how evil she is.

It's not impossible for Pudding to be keeping her power a total secret either. She was behaving oddly when we were first introduced to her as well, so she may have used it on BM.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 14:15   Link #8
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

so it looks like jinbei still has his limbs... does this mean he lost a lot of his lifespan?
Old 2016-12-29, 15:04   Link #9
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoa1708 View Post
so it looks like jinbei still has his limbs... does this mean he lost a lot of his lifespan?
I think that's the most likely scenario at this point.... Big Mom made it clear that she wouldn't let him off scot-free, after all. So it's quite possible that he lost a few decades of his life in exchange for leaving her crew....

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
It's not impossible for Pudding to be keeping her power a total secret either. She was behaving oddly when we were first introduced to her as well, so she may have used it on BM.

In regards to the bold.... I doubt it. Remember, Big Mom's soul power makes it so that she's able to gather information from her homies, and seeing as they're scattered all over her territory as everyday objects, Pudding would be hard-pressed to find a suitably unsupervised area to scramble her mama's brains. So I don't think our triple-eyed lass can pull off her jedi mind tricks on Linlin.
Old 2016-12-29, 15:07   Link #10
Clipens

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
Yes! That was the coolest looking panel I've seen in quite some time and that's saying a lot since I've enjoyed WCI so far.

The interesting thing about Pudding's power reveal to me is that it doesn't seem to be connected to her third eye. Is her eye just a red herring in terms of a possible power? That would be kinda funny.

I'm glad the chapter ended on a high note since it was 90% dark and depressing. I liked it a lot though. I can't wait to see how Sanji handles all this.

That's a good call, but it's interesting how BM didn't care to use it on the Vinsmokes. I get that she doesn't need them, but it couldn't hurt to have a few extra fighters on her side if their memories tell them to fight for her. I guess it just shows how evil she is.

Your idea is confirmed in the last part of the chapter when Opera try to torture Nami to obtain info about Lola (with Pudding's power is a simple vision of the memory-film).

----

I think Nitro is an homie based on Capone Bege's soul. Eyes and smile are similar, both have similar hats and smoke cigars...
Clipens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 15:49   Link #11
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipens View Post
Your idea is confirmed in the last part of the chapter when Opera try to torture Nami to obtain info about Lola (with Pudding's power is a simple vision of the memory-film).
hmm... Dare I say, if BM knows about Pudding's power, then it's a little plot hole. I could see her wanting to torture Nami about it though, but she could do that with Pudding there too. Pudding would undoubtedly love the torture anyway.

Quote:
I think Nitro is an homie based on Capone Bege's soul. Eyes and smile are similar, both have similar hats and smoke cigars...
Also interesting lol! I didn't pick up on that at first. It does look just like him. -that also could be evidence of Pudding working with Capone to betray BM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
In regards to the bold.... I doubt it. Remember, Big Mom's soul power makes it so that she's able to gather information from her homies, and seeing as they're scattered all over her territory as everyday objects, Pudding would be hard-pressed to find a suitably unsupervised area to scramble her mama's brains. So I don't think our triple-eyed lass can pull off her jedi mind tricks on Linlin.
Unless she has some of the homies ready to betray BM like the Capone-looking one Clipens mentioned. We also need an explanation on why she was behaving sweetly with BM before. If BM knew everything, I think Pudding should have been behaving like a spoiled brat in front of her.
Old 2016-12-29, 16:06   Link #12
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Well, i guess this means we get the end the year on a semi-decent note? But all these cliffhangers... granted, Oda knows how to keep his readers, and I'm just going to binge when we finally get to the end of this arc... or gets to a decent break point. At least we have Jinbei t give Luffy a hand, but I still want to know who's going to deal Pudding her just desserts! (Pun fully intended)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 16:14   Link #13
The Small One

Interessting chapter.
However, we still didn't get any information on why Reiju was wounded and captured in the first place, did we?
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 18:44   Link #14
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Well if Pudding was transformed to a toy, everyone on Big Mom will forget about her but for Pudding herself cannot manipulate such memories like that so i consider Sugar was more threatful than Pudding when it comes to memories since Sugar can make anyone knows about Pudding are forgetting her when Pudding turns to toy.

Anyway what Sanji will do for now on and for Brook i think we will see some new trump card for his survival. Maybe Big Mom can get surprised to see Brook was able to liberate some of her homies without even touching him.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 19:34   Link #15
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Interessting chapter.
However, we still didn't get any information on why Reiju was wounded and captured in the first place, did we?
My money is on Pudding and Capone being in cahoots, Capone being the one who captured her in the first place. Although, that begs the question what Reiju was doing in the first place to get captured.
Old 2016-12-29, 20:42   Link #16
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I wonder how they kept Reiju like that
And I can confirm now that Sanji X Pudding already poofed out

There is a possibility at Pudding would delete Big Mom's memories so that Strawhat can run away from Candy Island
And Brook is taking Big Mom.. epic!
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-29, 21:18   Link #17
danielevo

So i have a personal conclusion in this chapter that pudding and jinbei act personaly and not working together..
danielevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-30, 01:46   Link #18
adriankhoo153

i am hoping for a super saiyan Sanji
adriankhoo153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-30, 02:14   Link #19
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Memory altering powers...the worst kind to be up against! At least Pudding's scheming level is not too high, otherwise there would be a master plan behind all of her actions. I, for one, think she just tortured Reiju because she can get away with it (and to reveal the Germa's iron blood), and didn't bother with Nami because...torture is fun???

Quote:
Well, i guess this means we get the end the year on a semi-decent note?
It's pretty good. Get ready for the first 2017 red wedding! Also...JINBEI!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-30, 06:18   Link #20
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriankhoo153 View Post
i am hoping for a super saiyan Sanji
I prefer Demon Sanji.. He almost transform into a demon on thriller bark because of Absalom kidnaps Nami and he probably transform in this arc.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote